PDA

View Full Version : Monk Remix help

Blackhawk748
2014-05-31, 04:32 PM
Ok, so im redoing the Monk (ya i know not the first time we've all heard this) and im going to replace the Slow Fall ability with a Monk Form (Fire, Earth, Water, or Air) and i figure you get an improvement to it once every 4 levels or so starting at lvl 4, the problem is im drawing a complete blank. So i could use some Aid Another actions on this to see if i can get my brain working. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Apparently my brain started working on a bit of a delay, so here what ive got for the forms at lvl 4

Air: You basically get the ability from the feat Borne Aloft, except that the flight speed is equal to the monks movement speed.
Earth: you gain the Stone Dragon Stance Roots of the Mountain
Fire: you get Fiery Ki Defense as a bonus feat
Water: you can use the Setting Sun Counter, Counter Charge once per encounter.

Gemini476
2014-05-31, 05:25 PM
The obvious choice for Air is flight/Air Walk of some sort, for Earth Earthglide or something similar, and for Water something something swim speed.

Although to be honest I'd make it progress at every two levels like Slowfall does, just because having ACFs give you dead levels is a bit of a bummer.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-31, 05:28 PM
Well i thought about that, but i thought it would be cooler if the forms were more like Combat styles, thus why im stealing a few from ToB. Seriously the Monk was born for that book.

Val666
2014-05-31, 05:31 PM
Fire mode may give more land speed and extra fire damage witb unarmed attacks. Water mode gives swim speed, water breathing and fast healing, at higher levels it could give a kind of heal. Earth should give earthglide and AC also damage reduction. Air, flight obviously and idk...what about a deflection shield against ranged attacks?

At higher level you may also add a way to combine 2 or maybe the 4 modes (avatar please?)

Blackhawk748
2014-05-31, 06:29 PM
Heres what ive got for Air and Fire at lvl 8 (your Avatar comment gave me an idea)

Air: A number of rounds per day equal to ½ your monk level (rounded down) + the monks Wis mod, the monk may surround himself with a vortex of wind which grants the monk a 20% miss chance against all ranged attacks. Activating this is a free action and the rounds need not be consecutive.

Fire: By expending 4 Stunning Fist attempts a Monk can cast Produce Flame as a Supernatural Ability with a caster level equal to the monks monk level. Special: a monk may use their Flurry of Blows attack to throw the fire from this effect.

now i just need to get something for Earth and for Water......

Val666
2014-05-31, 06:47 PM
Heres what ive got for Air and Fire at lvl 8 (your Avatar comment gave me an idea)

Air: A number of rounds per day equal to ½ your monk level (rounded down) + the monks Wis mod, the monk may surround himself with a vortex of wind which grants the monk a 20% miss chance against all ranged attacks. Activating this is a free action and the rounds need not be consecutive.

Fire: By expending 4 Stunning Fist attempts a Monk can cast Produce Flame as a Supernatural Ability with a caster level equal to the monks monk level. Special: a monk may use their Flurry of Blows attack to throw the fire from this effect.

now i just need to get something for Earth and for Water......

I still think that water should go with healing stuff. Think about that Dx For earth ummmm...giving him the armor class can be good. Maybe some way to cast Stone Body spell???

When you say you are Redoing the monk I think it is to improve it right? for fire I think 4 Stunning Fist attempts is to much. And if this ability shows at level 4 the Air effect at level 8 seems weak to me e.e

Blackhawk748
2014-05-31, 06:53 PM
Well in my redo the Monk gets a number of bonus Stunning Fist attempts equal to their Wis mod so 4 isnt completely nuts, maybe 3? It is a pretty nice ability.

and how could i make the Air power better? I think the 20% miss chance is pretty solid, maybe make it an effect that lasts for 1+your Wis mod rounds and activating it costs 2 Stunning Fist attempts?