PDA

View Full Version : RV parking laws in California?

171akup
2014-05-31, 07:21 PM
Firstly I know this is a weird question for here.
So let me start at the beginning my grandparents got fined for having they're RV. It was parked on there property and they made a place for it. I tried looking up why they got fined. So now I live in the house they lived and I want to get my own RV but I don't what they did wrong and I do not want to get fined. So if any one can help me find that out that would be really helpful.

P.S. LOL Have fun any grammar Nazis LOL :smallbiggrin:

tomandtish
2014-05-31, 08:45 PM
Forum posters can not give professional or legal advice. It's part of the rules. Your situation is even more tricky because even if someone has an idea about the laws in California, those laws probably change from city to city. That is, they are different depending on if you are in Star City, Sunnydale, or an unincorporated part of some county.

What I believe we can do is suggest real (material) world places where you might be able to find that advice. In your case, I'd try the Department of Motor Vehicles in whatever areas you are considering this. They can probably give you the state regs, and tell you who to talk to in that area about any local regulations (if they don't have those as well). It may also make a difference whether or not anyone is actually living in it, so if that is an issue make sure you mention that as well.

Edit: I also note they were fined for having it on their property? I'll then add on that if you are considering this on property in a subdivision, you may need to check on whether or not there is a Home Owner's Association. An HOA may have rules and levy fines even if the act itself is otherwise legal.

TheThan
2014-06-01, 11:22 AM
Yeah best bet is to check with local authorities and any Home owners associations you’re involved with. If you can, ask your grandparents what it said when they received their fine. The internet surprisingly, is a good resource for looking up local laws.

I’d wager it probably has something to do with not being allowed to be parked on the street because it’s an ‘eye sour’ or some such.

Killer Angel
2014-06-01, 01:12 PM
tomandtish is right, we cannot give legal advices.
The reason behind it, is to protect those who need such advice from the possibility of being misled with faulty or even dangerous suggestions - however well intentioned.