PDA

View Full Version : Harkone... chill, bud.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-18, 04:33 PM
Heyas, glad to have such a productive fellow on the boards, but you gotta pace yourself a bit. At this rate its unlikely you'll get responses to half the threads you just started.

One or two a day, let folks look it over, comment, and then onto the next. Otherwise its likely many'll be overlooked and be shoved to page 2.

Either that or they'll be so eyecatching everyone looks through all of them in one go. It could happen...

Be sure though to post the links to everything here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33819) though so I can add them to the Compendium.

Harkone
2007-02-18, 05:02 PM
Sorry; I'm just new and excited for people's opinions.

Calver
2007-02-18, 05:11 PM
Just a suggestion, you may also want to grab the charts from Fax Celestia's page (Guide to Homebrewing). As it says, and I think most people will agree, threads look a lot better and are easier to understand if you have those charts.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-18, 05:25 PM
Sorry; I'm just new and excited for people's opinions.
Don't worry, we'll be sure to give'em :smallamused:

Have any skill with monster making? If so this month's GITP Monster Making Competition will end in a few days and could always use new blood. Just look at the top of the homebrew forums for the thread.

Miles Invictus
2007-02-18, 05:32 PM
If you had a website, you could put them all up on that, and then link to it in your signature. I know that a few other people (Mr. Nexx? Gorbash?) do that -- it's a very nice, clean setup.

You may want to reformat your stuff, too. This forum allows you to use tables, which would make your submissions a lot easier to read. Along those lines, bolding/italicizing the names of things would improve readability. You should also add some flavor/fluff text to your PrCs; that is a huge attention-grabber.

Khantalas
2007-02-18, 05:38 PM
Fax! Fax does that!

Of course, Fax lives on homebrewing, not food and water.

Miles Invictus
2007-02-18, 05:45 PM
/checks Fax's signature.

Holy crap...is that a wiki?! I feel like one of the monkeys from 2001.

Iituem
2007-02-18, 06:02 PM
That and you also push everyone else's posts down to page 2 that way, as well. :smallsmile:

That said, it seems to be looking good. Try and spread out your posts, though.

knightsaline
2007-02-18, 06:57 PM
I think there should be an unofficial rule sating that you have to lurk for about a month to see how a board works. when I say unofficial rule, i mean like the 3 post rule on SMBG. I have never seen it written down on the board rules, nor is there a special post on SMBG detailing the 3 post rule. i lurked the homebrewed forum for a while before posting my stuff. this resulted in me having to rework my wild knight PrC and the master of turning PrC.

anyone support the unofficial rule of lurking for a while?

Damon_Caskey
2007-02-18, 08:11 PM
I think there should be an unofficial rule sating that you have to lurk for about a month to see how a board works. when I say unofficial rule, i mean like the 3 post rule on SMBG. I have never seen it written down on the board rules, nor is there a special post on SMBG detailing the 3 post rule. i lurked the homebrewed forum for a while before posting my stuff. this resulted in me having to rework my wild knight PrC and the master of turning PrC.

anyone support the unofficial rule of lurking for a while?

No way would I ever support or condone something like this, official or not. You're basically tying status to nothing more then time spent, which is in no way related with quality of contribution. You are also in a way implying that sitting on the internet is actually a good thing, and people with real life lives who want to contribute now and again need not apply.

Either a person reads the rules and/or acclimates quickly, or they probably were not capable of doing so in the first place and a waiting period is not going to change that.

Putting a "geeks only" sign on a forum isn't going to help anything.

DC

Collin152
2007-02-18, 08:14 PM
I lurked, but it does not mean everybody else should.

knightsaline
2007-02-18, 08:20 PM
I never said that status = time spent was the right thing to do. What I'm saying is that people should lurk for a while before posting. that way, we don't have people creating horribly broken things like a PrC that allows a druid to basically stay wildshaped all day and shift between forms or a PrC that allows clerics to gain the sun domain, katana proficiency and giving them FE undead from the word go.

it just helps if people lurked before posting, to see how a board works. you can still post during the lurk period, just not complete threads. look at me, I contributed to some creations, but i never really created things for a while.

ishi
2007-02-18, 08:24 PM
that way, we don't have people creating horribly broken things like a PrC that allows a druid to basically stay wildshaped all day and shift between forms or a PrC that allows clerics to gain the sun domain, katana proficiency and giving them FE undead from the word go.

I think that avoiding horribly broken things is one of the reasons we have a board for design critique in the first place: if somebody posts something that is horribly broken, somebody will tell them so.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-18, 09:15 PM
*Speaks slowly and calmly* Slow down bucko, just slow down.

The Great Skenardo
2007-02-18, 09:56 PM
Man, did I ever pick a bad day to finally submit that prestige class I was working on :smalltongue: Props to your sheer volume of output.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-18, 10:32 PM
I'm wondering if this needs it's own thread... it could have been a comment in one of his threads.

Collin152
2007-02-18, 10:40 PM
This gaurentees it gets seen, as there are so many, it helps apply to it all at once. Though, I suppose a private mesage should have sufficed.

Harkone
2007-02-18, 11:07 PM
Again, sorry for the many posts. I'll be more restrained in the future. However, I would still appreciate any feedback on any of the classes that anyone deems fit to check out.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-18, 11:20 PM
Wow. I didn't realize how many there were until I scrolled down. I thought, five, that's alot, but what's VT talking about?

Then I saw the Horde.

Congratulations on making so many, though.

Harkone
2007-02-18, 11:22 PM
Thanks; in grad school, it's either work on my thesis or work on D&D stuff. Guess which wins out 90% of the time?

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-02-19, 10:26 AM
Couple of points I'd like to make:

Lurking rule
Such a rule would, I think, run counter to the welcoming environment we try to create on these forums. I also certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from asking for advice with an artificial - and ultimately arbitrary, no matter which time period was chosen - waiting period. So, no, I don't see us adding such a thing. Also, the 3-post-rule in SMBG is an official rule that is written out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8723), thought it appears the SMBG specific rules never got re-stuck after the move - we'll go fix that :smallwink:
Website
Cataloging your material on a separate site is a great idea. It not only provides easy access to your material, but also maintains a backup, just in case. And speaking of Wikis... ::modifies a link in his sig (http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/Wiki[/url)::
Post Frequency
While I definitely like to see people getting involved, I definitely agree that everyone should space out the posting of new threads to avoid dominating the forum as a whole - if you have a number of similar pieces of homebrew material, it might be better to put them in one thread.

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-19, 10:30 AM
:tongue:

That's a lot of threads..

Why not just wait a while between posting them? You'd be more likely to get critique that way, I'd guess.

<snip>

Uhh, there actually is an official 3-post rule. It's stickied.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-19, 11:54 AM
Fax! Fax does that!

Of course, Fax lives on homebrewing, not food and water.

Yes. Yes I do.

/checks Fax's signature.

Holy crap...is that a wiki?! I feel like one of the monkeys from 2001.

Heh. Feel free to add to it if you like. It is available to all.

Further, anything on it (of mine) is to be considered up-for-grabs and usable as-is, as long as you attribute it to me for your players.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-02-19, 12:05 PM
When I saw all those posts I was like," Whoa! There's a Homebrewer on caffiene!":smallbiggrin:
But it's good to see someone so productive.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-19, 12:09 PM
I'll try to hit some and comment today, but be warned: I can be harsh.

Harkone
2007-02-19, 03:50 PM
Harsh criticism is a welcome part of the creative process, so thanks in advance.

Solaris
2007-02-19, 04:09 PM
Couple of points I'd like to make:

Lurking rule
Such a rule would, I think, run counter to the welcoming environment we try to create on these forums. I also certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from asking for advice with an artificial - and ultimately arbitrary, no matter which time period was chosen - waiting period. So, no, I don't see us adding such a thing. Also, the 3-post-rule in SMBG is an official rule that is written out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8723), thought it appears the SMBG specific rules never got re-stuck after the move - we'll go fix that :smallwink:
Website
Cataloging your material on a separate site is a great idea. It not only provides easy access to your material, but also maintains a backup, just in case. And speaking of Wikis... ::modifies a link in his sig (http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/Wiki[/url)::
Post Frequency
While I definitely like to see people getting involved, I definitely agree that everyone should space out the posting of new threads to avoid dominating the forum as a whole - if you have a number of similar pieces of homebrew material, it might be better to put them in one thread.

Agreed wholeheartedly on neither supporting nor condoning a three-post-rule. I don't stick around sites that require someone to wait a while before posting. If I am not free to post what I want to say (and no, I don't generally care to flame - freedom of speech is not the same as being free to be a jackass) then I'm not going to say anything. Ever. I don't join sites that require you to register on the board to look at the board. Heck, validating an account can drive me away if it takes longer than a few minutes unless I've fallen in love with the community. Things like that, things that say "You're new, so you can't possibly be smart enough to come up with something good to say" are not good things. Enforced lurking isn't going to convince anybody to read rules they wouldn't ordinarily read.
By the way, it took me about ten minutes to read up on how y'all like things done. I'm a bit of a slow reader nowadays, which accounts for why it took so long. I'm a veteran administrator, so I know to look for pinned topics and suchlike, sort of put my ear to the ground and see which way the herd's running. I'm a veteran administrator, so I know that most people who're new to the site aren't going to think to look at those things without having someone thwap them on the back of the head and point them in the right direction.
That said, I'm fair sure a team of rabid grizzlies couldn't convince me to use the coding to make a table. I find my mastery of the 'list' function to be an astounding achievement.
Waiting periods = bad. Mentoring = good. If you find someone who's having trouble with things, then PM, IM, or e-mail them to privately help 'em out. It takes patience (oh, God, with some people it takes a lot of patience) but it actually does something that telling someone to lurk does not: It welcomes them.

Why yes, yes I do like to beat on dead horses. They make delightful squishy sounds. Unwelcomesome* sites are a pet peeve of mine, so I'm entitled to rant a bit.
*Solaris has been known to make up words as he goes along. Just roll with it.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-19, 04:13 PM
Agreed wholeheartedly on neither supporting nor condoning a three-post-rule. I don't stick around sites that require someone to wait a while before posting. If I am not free to post what I want to say (and no, I don't generally care to flame - freedom of speech is not the same as being free to be a jackass) then I'm not going to say anything. Ever. I don't join sites that require you to register on the board to look at the board. Heck, validating an account can drive me away if it takes longer than a few minutes unless I've fallen in love with the community. Things like that, things that say "You're new, so you can't possibly be smart enough to come up with something good to say" are not good things. Enforced lurking isn't going to convince anybody to read rules they wouldn't ordinarily read.
By the way, it took me about ten minutes to read up on how y'all like things done. I'm a bit of a slow reader nowadays, which accounts for why it took so long. I'm a veteran administrator, so I know to look for pinned topics and suchlike, sort of put my ear to the ground and see which way the herd's running. I'm a veteran administrator, so I know that most people who're new to the site aren't going to think to look at those things without having someone thwap them on the back of the head and point them in the right direction.
That said, I'm fair sure a team of rabid grizzlies couldn't convince me to use the coding to make a table. I find my mastery of the 'list' function to be an astounding achievement.
Waiting periods = bad. Mentoring = good. If you find someone who's having trouble with things, then PM, IM, or e-mail them to privately help 'em out. It takes patience (oh, God, with some people it takes a lot of patience) but it actually does something that telling someone to lurk does not: It welcomes them.

Why yes, yes I do like to beat on dead horses. They make delightful squishy sounds. Unwelcomesome* sites are a pet peeve of mine, so I'm entitled to rant a bit.
*Solaris has been known to make up words as he goes along. Just roll with it.

*hands Solaris a glass of champagne*

Thank you, good sir.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 05:08 PM
Harsh criticism is a welcome part of the creative process, so thanks in advance.

How many times I've been punched for that... Your totally right, of course, but the overeactive suckups at my school would never agree.