PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Phanaton-fans at?

LordErebus12
2014-06-01, 04:04 AM
Where is all the love for that cute little species living in the savage tides region? They need to be reprinted again, perhaps for Pathfinder... or at least D&D 5.0

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/img/phanaton.gif
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/116093/Sati_Blood-Fire.png

Khedrac
2014-06-01, 06:42 AM
To answer your question - the fans might be in the Other Systems sub-forum but most will be on Mystara-specific forums somewhere.

Personally I have wanted for years to write an adventure about a small monkey-like being living in the depths of a musical theater that people believe to be haunted.

Yes, it's "The Phanaton of the Opera".

If you opened this up and read the above - remember, you were warned.

Gemini476
2014-06-01, 08:24 AM
To answer your question - the fans might be in the Other Systems sub-forum but most will be on Mystara-specific forums somewhere.

Personally I have wanted for years to write an adventure about a small monkey-like being living in the depths of a musical theater that people believe to be haunted.

Yes, it's "The Phanaton of the Opera".

If you opened this up and read the above - remember, you were warned.

Savage Tides was AD&D, wasn't it? Was there a version for Basic as well, or would that be in one of the many Gazetteers?

BWR
2014-06-01, 10:07 AM
Savage Tides was AD&D, wasn't it? Was there a version for Basic as well, or would that be in one of the many Gazetteers?

Savage Tides was 3.5

Khedrac
2014-06-01, 11:48 AM
I think you are thinking of the Savage Coast which was Expert D&D, but Phanaton appeared in X1 the Isle of Dread which I think has to be their first appearance.

LordErebus12
2014-06-01, 01:08 PM
it was pretty old. it ran from around 2e to 3.5e

BWR
2014-06-01, 01:16 PM
it was pretty old. it ran from around 2e to 3.5e
If you are referring to Savage Tides, it started in 2006and ended 2007.
If you are referring to phanatons, Khedrac is AFAIK right, so they're older than 2e.

Gemini476
2014-06-01, 01:22 PM
I think you are thinking of the Savage Coast which was Expert D&D, but Phanaton appeared in X1 the Isle of Dread which I think has to be their first appearance.

So I was! Although I will note that it was spun off into its own setting during AD&D back when TSR was creating a bunch of new settings.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Savagecost.jpg

Although I don't know how good the Phanatons are in 3.5. Here's the stats Dragon #339 gives them:

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
Small size
20ft. base speed
Low-light vision
Natural Weapon: Bite (1d4)
Forest Awareness: +1 racial bonus on all saving throws in forest locations.
Gliding: negate all fall damage, can glide 20ft forward for every 5ft of descent, speed 20(average). Cannot glide even if maneuverability improves. If it becomes helpless in midair, it falls.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently (+8 in forest areas), +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Spot checks.
Automatic languages: Phanaton, Elven. Bonus languages: Sylvan, Goblin.
Favored Class: Rogue.

Eh. I don't really know if I would play one. If I wanted racial flight I'd rather be Dragonborn, Raptoran, or Anthropomorphic Bat. At least they can do more than just glide around.
I'm sure that the proper Expert/AD&D version of them are more interesting, but the write-up in Dragon just makes them sound like over-sized flying squirrels with Ewok-esque tech.

BWR
2014-06-01, 01:33 PM
but the write-up in Dragon just makes them sound like over-sized flying squirrels with Ewok-esque tech.

This isn't enough for you?

LordErebus12
2014-06-01, 04:53 PM
This isn't enough for you?
that kind of my point, too.

Gliding monkey-squirrels with blowguns...