PDA

View Full Version : Arachnomancer DMM

Baroknik
2014-06-01, 04:11 AM
Just checking, but it seems that taking a 1-level dip into Arachnomancer would give the chance for an arcane caster to abuse DMM. Am I missing something here? Seems like a decent trade for one feat (Verminfriend).

Karnith
2014-06-01, 06:00 AM
While I don't have Drow of the Underdark in front of me, I'm fairly certain that the Spider domain's granted power is one of the many Turn-Undead-like abilities that can't be used to power Divine feats (because they require expending Turn/Rebuke Undead uses). Even if the Spider domain can fuel DMM, though, post-errata DMM only works on divine spells, so it'd be of limited use to an arcane spellcaster. You could use Southern Magician or Alternative Source Spell, I guess, but at that point you might as well use the more conventional free metamagic sources.

VariSami
2014-06-01, 07:01 AM
I would tend to agree with the last poster: not worth it and does not work. However, if you want to abuse Divine Metamagic with a Wizard, it can be done easily (I am not sure whether or not this is a well-known trick; I came up with it a week or so ago):

Use the Alternatice Class Feature in Complete Champion that allows you to exchange your Wizard bonus feat at level 5 for a Domain's granted power. Choose the Necromancy domain from Dragonlance Campaign Setting (it is 1st party although the rest are officially not). While it was intended to be used by the Mystic in said book, it does grant you the ability to Rebuke Undead just like a cleric. Now, you only need Alternative Source Spell from Dragon #325 in order to make your spells divine. Ta-dah: Divine Metamagic becomes applicable. However, this build does burn quite a few feat slots because it needs Alternative Spell Source, Divine Metamagic and the Metamagic feats to which the latter may be applied. Plus, you do not receive a bonus feat at Wiz5.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-01, 08:32 AM
Use the Alternatice Class Feature in Complete Champion that allows you to exchange your Wizard bonus feat at level 5 for a Domain's granted power. Choose the Necromancy domain from Dragonlance Campaign Setting (it is 1st party although the rest are officially not). While it was intended to be used by the Mystic in said book, it does grant you the ability to Rebuke Undead just like a cleric. Now, you only need Alternative Source Spell from Dragon #325 in order to make your spells divine. Ta-dah: Divine Metamagic becomes applicable. However, this build does burn quite a few feat slots because it needs Alternative Spell Source, Divine Metamagic and the Metamagic feats to which the latter may be applied. Plus, you do not receive a bonus feat at Wiz5.

Doesn't work; the ACF specifies a cleric domain, and that's Mystic-only.

VariSami
2014-06-01, 09:09 AM
Doesn't work; the ACF specifies a cleric domain, and that's Mystic-only.
Ah, yes. I just checked and indeed it does say that the domain in question is only for mystics. Before, I had merely noticed it on a list of cleric domains and while it had had no deities connected with it (which I simply thought to mean that it was meant for mystics), the listing did not specify that it was explicitly only for mystics. Too bad.