PDA

View Full Version : I've got an amazing story of charms, betrayal and player death.

RPGaddict28
2014-06-01, 11:07 AM
So, 3.5, and the party is a 5th level bard, ranger, paladin, fighter, S2P Erudite, and a rogue, but only the rogue, bard, erudite and ranger showed up. I'm the DM.

The party was tasked with clearing out a cave of wolf like beasts that killed some local animals and hunters, and the guards that were sent to figure it out never came back.

The party gets instructions to the cave, an at the mouth of the cave, two immaculate, perfect stone statues of guards bearing the crest of Silverlake, which is the house that hired them to clear out this cave.

They enter the cave, kill three level 1 goblin fighters, and two level 1 goblins crossbowmen. The entrance to the next bit of the cave is hidden in magical darkness, which the Erudite dispels.

The next room had two barghests waiting for them. They bargs open up with charm monster on the bard. First one charms him, erudite dispels, second charms him. Since the rules were unclear, I treated any allies who heard the bard song, but are no longer allies still get the song bonus for the five rounds. The bargs now have his +inspire courage and his +3d6 sonic. The rogue starts hitting the bargs, and the bard doesn't want him hurting his friends, so he non-lethally stabs the rogue, knocking him out. The battle continues on, the bargs kill the rangers alligator, but the party ends up killing the bargs.

The bard isn't liking this. He uses his armband of fiery breath (custom item, works like elixir of fiery breath, three times each day, renews charges at sunrise) and burns the Erudite and the Ranger, then hightails it out of the cave. The rest of the party heal up the rogue, but while they do that, they hear 6 legs stamping behind them. No one turns around. The noises get closer. No one turns around. The noise is right behind them, and they feel the beasts hot breath. The Erudite turns around. I tell him he needs to roll a fort save. He got a 12. The Erudite is now a statue. Everyone levels to 6

Now, next session we have the rogue and ranger as bounty hunters on the bard, the bard is now a mind bender, the erudite is bringing in a new character, and the paladin and fighter have to deal with this mess.

I'll update this story next Saturday with what happens.