PDA

View Full Version : Planar Metropolis

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-18, 06:34 PM
I've been considering running a Planar Metropolis-based campaign, and I'm wondering whether I should try using Sigil, which I cannot seem to find a whole lot of information on, or if I should just go ahead and use Union, which I do have plenty of information on due to the Epic Level Handbook I own. Any opinions either way?

Emperor Tippy
2007-02-18, 06:36 PM
Union has a lot more info. The Planar Handbook (page 141) Has 5 pages on Sigil and thats the most I could find in over 80 WoTC books.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-18, 07:12 PM
You could always try playing Planescape: Torment. Not only does it have a ton of info on Sigil (there are many, many superfluous conversations that give you information on the city and on the many philosophies that are prevalent), it's also a very good interactive novel.

It's not really much of a 'game'. More a novel. :smallwink:

Weezer
2007-02-18, 07:44 PM
You could invest in a 2nd edition Guide to Sigil which has a great amount of fluff in it and background information on the various wards and factions in Sigil. Since it seems that you are more looking for more backround info than actual crunchy stuff there should be no problem with 2nd edition.

Edit: almost forgot, you could check out www.planewalker.com for lots of info in Sigil and the planescape stetting in general

jjpickar
2007-02-18, 07:45 PM
Planar handbook is the best official WotC source for info on Sigil and its pretty sparse. Still they give you the basic dmg setup so all you have to do is flesh out the details.

Matthew
2007-02-18, 08:04 PM
It might be nice to use a non Sigil Planar Metropolis. Maybe you could use them both?

Thomas
2007-02-18, 08:07 PM
There's plenty of info about Union? Woah. I must not have noticed.

Anyway, there's very little information to be had about Sigil. The factions are the only really important bit of it all, and the only important locations in the city that are ever described are the faction HQs. I imagine you can find plenty of information on the factions online. (And if you play in the Planar Handbook Sigil, the factions are no longer in power anyway. But that makes Sigil so dull it's as good as pointless.)

All you really need to know is that Sigil is shaped like a ring (the city is on the inside of the ring), and it's got endless very active portals to everywhere. Playing Planescape: Torment gives you a fair idea about how it all works (and about the Lady of Pain).

Everything else... you just make up. It doesn't matter what you come up with - Sigil has everything.

Edit: Needless to say, you should try to get your hands on Planescape sourcebooks (they're pretty much all fluff, no mechanics). They're superb. Try eBay, etc.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-18, 08:11 PM
Somebody already said www.planewalker.com, but it bears repeating, as it's the best source for Planescape info outside of the old, AD&D campaign setting books. I'm also really tempted to link you to the Sigil Prep website to screw with your mind, but that would just be mean.

PMDM
2007-02-18, 08:35 PM
Actually, the second big theme of Sigil is corruption. The big power players are allways steping on the working man. Hence, the ward layout.

Ishmael
2007-02-18, 08:59 PM
Why play 3.5 in Sigil when you can play the original game? You can get the nifty PDF of the Planescape Campagin for not much at all. I highly advise you to play in the setting--it is one of the most well-made and interesting worlds ever made. The flavor of it is brilliant. Ah...Planescape.

Link to the PDF: Planescape Campaign Setting. (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1301&)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-18, 09:06 PM
$5.95? I'm sold, and I didn't even start this topic.

It is mostly flavor, right? I have no use for AD&D statblocks.

EvilElitest
2007-02-18, 09:13 PM
The most simple way is to simply google it. Lots of info can be found just in wikipedia. Or just make it up yourself. Bear in mind, it is a city with everything in it.
From,
EE

Thomas
2007-02-19, 07:34 AM
Oh, and remember: it's late 19th-century London.

Black Hand
2007-02-19, 10:02 AM
Oh, and remember: it's late 19th-century London.

:smallbiggrin: You forgot to end that with: Berk

ampcptlogic
2007-02-19, 10:08 AM
There's a Planescape game in the run-up to play over in the PbP forum. You could watch it. I've been using the pdfs published by planewalker.com to get a feel for the setting, since I don't like buying stuff online all that much. It's post Faction War, but Sigil is Sigil. Some things don't change. You can also check out mimir.net for more stuff related to the planes, the factions, and the cant.

Khantalas
2007-02-19, 10:18 AM
Oh, the greatest source for Sigil related stuff is this (http://www.sigilprep.com/index.htm). Not that Planewalker site. Pay no heed to them.

Sorry about that Nerd-o-rama.

Matthew
2007-02-19, 12:37 PM
That link appears to be broken, Khantalas.

Khantalas
2007-02-19, 12:50 PM
But I had fixed that...

Anyway, see if it works now.

Matthew
2007-02-19, 12:56 PM
Seems to be working now, yes. Interesting site.

DeathQuaker
2007-02-19, 01:47 PM
SigilPrep looks very amusing. Very good idea, that.

But for *cough* less creative renditions, yes, indeed

Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker Planewalker

Because I'm not sure it's been made clear enough.

They have a 74-page chapter on Sigil ALONE. Not to mention separate chapters on races and factions and all sorts of things. And WotC's given them the official permission for it, which is nice.

Khantalas
2007-02-19, 01:54 PM
Bah, I'll wait for the hardcover.

PMDM
2007-02-19, 03:48 PM
The problem with planewalker, is there's not enough hard information on anywhere but sigil. Granted, most of the action takes place there, but I would like a bit more about Archeon, and not have to stumble though their various articles to find it.

Parlik
2007-02-22, 01:42 AM
Ah don't ye trust those knights of the post, they are just rattling their boneboxes bobbing ye, making ye think they are blood or some great greybeard, they would turn stag on their own mothers, when they are but berks out of touch. Is just a matter of garnishing the right hands with the jinx, and better learn fast before you are scragged or lost.

*grins* I always loved planescape.

The Prince of Cats
2007-02-22, 07:25 AM
Planescape serves a very specific purpose; it is a 'free port'.

It has a single ruler, who has absolute power, and no divine intervention. Even the Blood-War is subdued in Sigil for fear of the Lady's justice. It also has an interesting barrier to free movement in and out of the city, since the portals are as numerous as the keys.

Caelestion
2007-02-22, 07:36 AM
Planescape's Sigil is indeed a free port and I think that's an interesting reference. However, Planescape itself is the setting and not any one individual place.