PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Silly question

Immabozo
2014-06-01, 11:25 PM
So, the psionic power (or the arcane one, or any other one you can suggest) Adaptive Body says

Your body automatically adapts to hostile environments. You can adapt to underwater, extremely hot, extremely cold, or airless environments, allowing you to survive as if you were a creature native to that environment. You can breathe and move (though penalties to movement and attacks, if any for a particular environment, remain), and you take no damage simply from being in that environment. You need not specify what environment you are adapting to when you manifest this power; simply activate it, and your body will instantly adapt to any hostile environment as needed throughout the duration.

You can somewhat adapt to extreme environmental features such as acid, lava, fire, and electricity. Any environmental feature that normally directly deals 1 or more dice of damage per round deals you only half the usual amount of damage.

Now, What if you were holding the event horizon of a black hole? How would it affect you? Would you still be obliterated by the black hole? Or can we rules lawyer it to say that you can exist right next to the event horizon "allowing you to survive as if you were a creature native to that environment"?

Demidos
2014-06-01, 11:31 PM
Half damage from extreme conditions.

Such as black hole horizons. Congratulations, you now only take 1*10^999 damage.

Now that we're being silly and all :smallbiggrin:

With a box
2014-06-01, 11:32 PM
You might live at singularity and you don't have to care about it until he cast greater teleport (or plane shift) to get out.

Immabozo
2014-06-01, 11:34 PM
You might live at singularity and you don't have to care about it until he cast greater teleport (or plane shift) to get out.

wh...what?

Half damage from extreme conditions.

Such as black hole horizons. Congratulations, you now only take 1*10^999 damage.

Now that we're being silly and all :smallbiggrin:

haha, yeah, but I am trying to appeal to the rules lawyer college to try to get around that inconvenient fact wording

dascarletm
2014-06-01, 11:43 PM
haha, yeah, but I am trying to appeal to the rules lawyer college to try to get around that inconvenient fact wording

Show me the rules on black holes.

extreme environmental features such as acid, lava, fire, and electricity.

... This doesn't specifically say black holes, or gravity for that matter.:smallbiggrin:

Immabozo
2014-06-01, 11:47 PM
Show me the rules on black holes.

... This doesn't specifically say black holes, or gravity for that matter.:smallbiggrin:

See? THIS is the kind of answer I was hoping for! So I am not crazy. Thank you

malonkey1
2014-06-02, 12:02 AM
Well, that depends. If you're orbiting at light-speed at the event horizon somehow, yeah, it'd protect you from the vacuum conditions of space. If you're going any less than light speed, you're pretty much boned, because that'd technically be falling damage.

Immabozo
2014-06-02, 12:14 AM
Well, that depends. If you're orbiting at light-speed at the event horizon somehow, yeah, it'd protect you from the vacuum conditions of space. If you're going any less than light speed, you're pretty much boned, because that'd technically be falling damage.

My friend, you know not the build, haha. The black hole is my weapon. It is a small black hole, approximately the size of a pig (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342604-Can-you-swing-a-pig-weighing-your-max-load). But it is a black hole.

malonkey1
2014-06-02, 12:20 AM
My friend, you know not the build, haha. The black hole is my weapon. It is a small black hole, approximately the size of a pig (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342604-Can-you-swing-a-pig-weighing-your-max-load). But it is a black hole.

Ah, the classic Pig Bond Armageddon build. I am familiar with it.

Immabozo
2014-06-02, 12:32 AM

haha, yes, I am trying to put it in a build

EDIT: a TO build

Captnq
2014-06-02, 01:33 AM

Ah, but don't forget that max falling damage is 20d6. Quite survivable.

Immabozo
2014-06-02, 01:43 AM
Ah, but don't forget that max falling damage is 20d6. Quite survivable.

true, true

Urpriest
2014-06-02, 09:51 AM
So, the psionic power (or the arcane one, or any other one you can suggest) Adaptive Body says

Now, What if you were holding the event horizon of a black hole? How would it affect you? Would you still be obliterated by the black hole? Or can we rules lawyer it to say that you can exist right next to the event horizon "allowing you to survive as if you were a creature native to that environment"?

...in the real world, you can be at the event horizon of a black hole without being obliterated. It's a basic consequence of General Relativity that someone passing through a black hole's event horizon notices no immediate changes.

Now, if you believe in Firewalls, then there might be something to worry about. :smallwink:

More problematic is the "you can breathe and move" clause, which seems pretty wildly abusable. What if the environment you choose is, say, the range of a Mass Hold Person spell? Does that mean you can still move even when paralyzed?

Anxe
2014-06-02, 10:05 AM
This is the part I'd use to stop a player from doing that, "You can breathe and move (though penalties to movement and attacks, if any for a particular environment, remain)".

Movement penalties from a black hole are going to be quite... severe.

I'd rule that a black hole is normally a death effect. The cleric spell, implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm) functions kind of like a black hole. Adapt Body doesn't have any wording on death effects, so I'd assume it doesn't interact with them? You'd still die and be unable to move.

Elderand
2014-06-02, 10:14 AM
...in the real world, you can be at the event horizon of a black hole without being obliterated. It's a basic consequence of General Relativity that someone passing through a black hole's event horizon notices no immediate changes.

You mean asside from the whole spagettification bit ?

Urpriest
2014-06-02, 10:23 AM

That happens a while after the event horizon. ("A while" depends on the size of the black hole though.)

Elderand
2014-06-02, 10:27 AM
That happens a while after the event horizon. ("A while" depends on the size of the black hole though.)

Err, no ? It happen at the even horizon or even before it.

Urpriest
2014-06-02, 10:43 AM

It depends on the mass of the black hole. Looking at the numbers now, you get spaghettified before the horizon for star-sized black holes, and after the horizon for supermassive black holes like the ones in the center of galaxies. So I suppose it depends on where the OP is going. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2014-06-02, 10:48 AM
Can we get it to manifest as an Immediate Action? If so, I think I'm going to choose "the pointy end of that sword" as my environment.:smallbiggrin:

Gemini476
2014-06-02, 10:56 AM

Let me quote Wikipedia's page on spaghettification (a.k.a. the Noodle Effect).

The point at which tidal forces destroy an object or kill a person will depend on the black hole's size. For a supermassive black hole, such as those found at a galaxy's center, this point lies within the event horizon, so an astronaut may cross the event horizon without noticing any squashing and pulling, although it remains only a matter of time, as once inside an event horizon, falling towards the center is inevitable. For small black holes whose Schwarzschild radius is much closer to the singularity, the tidal forces would kill even before the astronaut reaches the event horizon.[5][6] For example, for a black hole of 10 Sun masses[note 2] and the above-mentioned rope at 1000 km distance, the tensile force halfway along the rope is 325 N. It will break at a distance of 320 km, well outside the Schwarzschild radius of 30 km. For a black hole of 10,000 Sun masses it will break at a distance of 3200 km, well inside the Schwarzschild radius of 30,000 km.

How big is the pig, anyway? At what point of time does the strength of the Cancer Mage Commoner cause it to become a black hole (and would it stop being so shortly thereafter when it turns into Orcus?)

dascarletm
2014-06-02, 11:12 AM
See? THIS is the kind of answer I was hoping for! So I am not crazy. Thank you

Glad to help, but we're definitely crazy though.

John Longarrow
2014-06-02, 11:23 AM

I trust you have been touched by his noodley appendage then?

Vedhin
2014-06-02, 11:28 AM

I am pleased that it has become classic so quickly.

Immabozo
2014-06-02, 11:31 AM
This is the part I'd use to stop a player from doing that, "You can breathe and move (though penalties to movement and attacks, if any for a particular environment, remain)".

Movement penalties from a black hole are going to be quite... severe.

I'd rule that a black hole is normally a death effect. The cleric spell, implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm) functions kind of like a black hole. Adapt Body doesn't have any wording on death effects, so I'd assume it doesn't interact with them? You'd still die and be unable to move.

there is no RAW on that. There are no RAW in the spell supporting this. So while, yes, any sane DM you agree with you, this is a RAW aguement and abusing RAW for power

Let me quote Wikipedia's page on spaghettification (a.k.a. the Noodle Effect).

How big is the pig, anyway? At what point of time does the strength of the Cancer Mage Commoner cause it to become a black hole (and would it stop being so shortly thereafter when it turns into Orcus?)

The commoner never gets more than 5 feet away, therefore, the pig never turns into Porcus.

Glad to help, but we're definitely crazy though.

That we are, that we are