View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] First Gestalt Character

ExperimentAlpha
2014-06-02, 03:07 AM
Hi there! I'm currently trying to build a character for an upcoming 3.5 Gestalt game here on the forums, and I'm stuck on how I should actually construct the character. We're starting at lv6, so I've decided to try for a blasty Wilder 6// another CHA class that offers more passive benefits and some decent HP (And maybe some armor or something, since psionics = no ASF). I've been considering paladin, but I'm really open for suggestions.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-02, 03:24 AM
This is a good build for a bunch of dips. Marshal 1/Paladin 2/Cloistered Cleric 1 is a good start for Charisma to saves, Initiative and other Dexterity-based checks, and Turn Undead to fuel devotion feats. Given complete freedom to choose domains, I'd trade Knowledge and either Law or Protection for the devotion feats and get the Charm domain to boost your Charisma by 4 for a minute once a day.

Maybe consider a template. Phrenic, Draconic, and Half-fey come to mind.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-02, 08:35 AM
Incarnate is always a great choice for a passive class. Binder can also be pretty good and needs a decent Cha.

Maybe consider going Psion into Anarchic Initiate instead of Wilder, and take Factotum with it. That gets you significantly more powers known, and access to a discipline. Factotum allows you to take an extra standard action per round at 8th level, so you can manifest more powers, and with Schism, Quicken Power, and Psionic Meditation, you can be manifesting four powers per round. Consider using the Midnight Augmentation: Bestow Power recharge trick if you go that route, as you may only have powerpoints for one encounter per day otherwise.

Red Fel
2014-06-02, 08:42 AM
How about a Battle Dancer?

Let's look at the basics. The Wilder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm) gets you 3/4 BAB and good Will save, as well as powers, and is a solid "active" side to a gestalt.

Battle Dancer gets you full BAB and a good Reflex, so between the two of them you get full BAB, and good Reflex and Will saves. Battle Dancer also gives you Cha to AC when you're unarmored. Since Wilder only gives you light armor proficiency, that's no big loss.

Battle Dancer gives you a lot of other passives too, including upgrades to your unarmed strikes, bonus speed, and various sources of added damage. Basically, it makes you functional as unarmed melee or as a blaster.

As an aside, one of the risks of Psionic Enervation can be avoided if you have a Mark of the Dauntless (Dragonmarked), which makes you immune to daze.

Zman
2014-06-02, 08:47 AM
What Optimization level are you looking for and what level is the group shooting for? Lot to Mid. Mid. Mid to High. High. Extreme. Pun Pun. Letting us know what you are looking for will greatly aid us in giving you solid advice.

Depending on Optization level you've got alot of options, CHA can go to so many thing that you can really do a lot with this side of your Gestalt.

Personally, I like the Battle Sorcerer Variant. On its own its weak due to low spell selection, but it is a Full Sorcerer Casting, Medium BAB, D8 Hit Dice, and allows you to cast in Light armor.

Xerlith
2014-06-02, 09:23 AM
Battle Sorcerer is largely redundant with Wilder - and combats it for action economy. I'd rather see a Hexblade2/Paladin2/Marshal1/Battle Dancer1 on the other side. Harmonious Knight substitution levels.
Charisma to saves (twice!), Motivate Charisma from MArshall and Charisma to AC when unarmored.

Alternatively, Paladin4 gives Turn Undead for whatever uses you might want it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-02, 09:49 AM
Maybe an X Stat to Y Bonus build, such as Hexblade 2/ (Fallen or Chaos) Cobra-Strike Monk 2/ Paladin of Slaughter 2/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) 2/ Blackguard 3/ Mystic Wanderer 1....
That adds your Cha bonus to AC three times (Monk + Ascetic Mage, Arcane Duelist, Mystic Wanderer), to touch AC once (Wilder), to saves twice (Paladin of Slaughter, Blackguard), to saves vs spells one additional time (Hexblade), and to melee damage once (Divine Might).

PsyBomb
2014-06-02, 04:27 PM
I have a Ten Commandments of Gestalting that I intended to turn into a guide somewhere, but the other posters have pretty well covered it. Make sure that your off-side is granting lots of passive bonuses, and don't take up your Standard action.

Paladin 2 is pretty much required for your off-side, since it gives Armor proficiency, good Fort, and most importantly Cha to all saves. That's if you're going to be Good, anyway. The more detail you give us, the better the build will be for you. Notably alignment restrictions and optimization goal.

Biff is pretty much the grand master around these parts on intensive character building (as his post right above mine has shown). However, if you're just going for a basic build, all you have to do is stack on splashes to your off-side to cherry-pick low-lying bonuses. Fighter Bonus Feats, Paladin Divine Grace, ToB stances, counters, and boosts (Crusader is your friend, here)... really just anything you want. That's the great thing about Gestalt.