PDA

View Full Version : Response Requested

TempusCCK
2007-02-18, 10:13 PM
Alright, here's the pitch: I created a character generation program that automatically creates character stats using the standard system (4D6, disreguard lowest). It can either automatically assign the numbers generated, or you can select them from a list, it also has a simple point buy system built in. I decided to create it when I went on a search for a quick NPC and enemy builder and found ungodly complicated character generators. As far as I have been able to find, mine is the only, small, concise way to generate stats with just the click of a button.

Barring all legal complications that I still haven't figured out for sure, how many of your would be interested in something like this for your own personal use?

Note: This is a tool for DM's only, the reroll feature, if used by players, could be clicked as many times as they want to generate illegitimate stats.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-18, 11:34 PM
I say yes, although there are plenty of other generators out there, but it'd be helpful to see the actual program for more feedback.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-18, 11:39 PM
It honestly doesn't sound all that much different from what Invisible Castle already has.

Dhavaer
2007-02-18, 11:42 PM
Redblade does the same thing, and I already have it.

Narmoth
2007-02-19, 06:34 AM
how should I know? I haven't tried it, I haven't run it and I sertainly haven't tested it for any program-weakness.
I also never randomly generate stats for NPCs. For those who I do, I create the whole character using the AD&D core-rules program, as I'm playing a homebrew-variety of 2nd ed players option. Still, it's a good initiative, and I would like to try the program whn you release it.

Thomas
2007-02-19, 07:07 AM
I don't really know what use a generator that just gives you ability scores is. My players roll by hand, and I obviously don't roll scores for NPCs (I just decide them, or else use the standard arrays).

Bender
2007-02-19, 07:31 AM
I just use the elite array for NPC's with levels in PC-classes and the non-elite for others... and if I need more options I just pick the numbers myself, no need for randomness.

But any initiative is welcome of course. I would only use a character generator for unimportant NPC's, and for those stats don't matter that much to me.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-19, 07:51 AM
So it's a... dice roller... than can only roll one type of die and only four of them at once?

Yeah... but, then again, no.

kamikasei
2007-02-19, 08:25 AM
Nope. I think you overestimate the need for such a program - the d20srd.org dice bag lets you roll 4d6 6 times with a total of 7 clicks, and shows you the breakdown of the rolls so that you can drop the lowest, etc. The convenience gained by cutting those 7 clicks to 1 isn't really sufficient to base a program around. If I wanted automation I'd go for something that could track modifiers, conditions and so forth, which would have to be more complex than what you describe and which I think has already been done, repeatedly.

Quietus
2007-02-19, 08:31 AM
I'd roll stats faster with a handfull of dice and some lined paper.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-19, 08:41 AM
I say yes, although there are plenty of other generators out there, but it'd be helpful to see the actual program for more feedback.
Yeah.

Like others have said, there is no shortage of dice rollers/character generators out on the web. I really have to see how well this one works compared to others to make any judgements.

daggaz
2007-02-19, 09:04 AM
not to mention, if you bought the 3.0 phb, it came with a nifty CD that has total core creation program on it, up to level 20 and including modifiers, racial attributes, spells, feats, skills, and equipment. Theres a few things wrong/missing when using it for 3.5, but its almost minimal really and very easy to fix when you print out the results.

PnP Fan
2007-02-20, 08:54 AM
It's a good programming initiative, and I'd keep working on it if I were you, if for no other reason than the coding practice (learn a new programming language while you're at it! Make it an educational experience! ;-)
For my "nameless npcs" I usually just use stats out of the dmg. For important npcs (main villians, unique creatures, etc. ) I just make decisions about atts and classes, etc. . .