PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Mage, need help. (3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-06-02, 10:08 AM
I'm positive there's many ways to build what I'm trying to go for, but I wanna know if you guys have any clever builds and stuff.

An assassin Mage. A character that is capable of calling upon 9th lvl spells by 17th lvl at most. (meaning better or = progression compared to a wizard... Although no epic casting), who can also fight with weaponry decently (this may not be through magic, although magic may augment if. Basically, it must use BaB and feats, must be melee, preferably non charge, and must be a viable form of combat if magic is being nullified).
And finally, must have sufficient skills and skillpoints to scout while in a environment fully covered in an anti-magic field (where nothing arcane or divine would work, no matter if there's some rule that allows magic to work).

In short terms, a Gish on steroids.

What exists that fulfills this?

LordErebus12
2014-06-02, 11:05 AM
I'm positive there's many ways to build what I'm trying to go for, but I wanna know if you guys have any clever builds and stuff.

An assassin Mage. A character that is capable of calling upon 9th lvl spells by 17th lvl at most. (meaning better or = progression compared to a wizard... Although no epic casting), who can also fight with weaponry decently (this may not be through magic, although magic may augment if. Basically, it must use BaB and feats, must be melee, preferably non charge, and must be a viable form of combat if magic is being nullified).
And finally, must have sufficient skills and skillpoints to scout while in a environment fully covered in an anti-magic field (where nothing arcane or divine would work, no matter if there's some rule that allows magic to work).

In short terms, a Gish on steroids.

What exists that fulfills this?

Can it be homebrewed?

gorfnab
2014-06-02, 01:15 PM
Fullfilling your criteria might be a little tricky.

For a sneaky assassin type mage you could try this:
Spellthief 1/ Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4

Also this handbook may be of some use: Sneak Attacking Spellcasters (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-02, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a gishy unseen seer build. Getting everything in place will be hard, and stats and feats tight, but you should be able to make it work.

Here is what I am thinking

Rogue 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseer 10 / Abjurant Champion 5 - 9th level spells, +16 bab, able learner means your scouting skills are always class skills. Rogue 1 even grants trapfinding. You should have enough skillpoints between int and the extra human skill point to max out hide, move sci, spot, listen, and search.

Alt, if you have a spare feat, spellthief makes a good rogue replacement, as you can take the master spellthief feat for casting in light armor.

WinWin
2014-06-02, 05:27 PM
There are very few advanced spellcasting PrC's that can achieve 9th level spells prior to 17th level. Most of those PrC's are divine spellcasters.

Cloistered Cleric 17. Take Initiate of Mystra feat. Done.

Troacctid
2014-06-02, 07:52 PM
Generic Spellcaster gets Sneak Attack +2d6 without losing a caster level.

Pluto!
2014-06-03, 12:06 AM
Ruby Knight Vindicator does this easily.

My other kneejerk reaction is Ranger 1/Psion 5/Anarchic Initiate 4/Slayer 10, with other dips to taste, provided that psionics are eligible for this exercise.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-03, 02:35 AM
I can think of one way, but it's way against RAI. Like Gouda fondue au gratin.

Sha'ir 4/Mystic Theurge 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Crusader 2/Swordsage 4. (Not in that order; sprinkle the Swordsage levels around for skill points and maneuvers, and at least one crusader level before Spellsword.) You could also swap Swordsage out for Ranger if you really want that fourth iterative, but I'd rather have the maneuvers. You'll need Able Learner and, ideally, Nymph's kiss. You have a couple options for races: human will get you a bonus feat, which will mean you don't have to take a flaw, and an extra skill point to get you through the wasteland of 2+Int skill points. Illumian will let you base your spells per day on Strength, freeing up point buy for Intelligence.

A_S
2014-06-03, 04:30 AM
A character that is capable of calling upon 9th lvl spells by 17th lvl at most. (meaning better or = progression compared to a wizard... Although no epic casting)
This is the only bit that's going to cause trouble. Most gish++ builds (that can cast, fight, and do something else as well) do so by delaying casting by a couple levels to get crucial bits of chassis/class features online.

With the requirements you've got going, all viable answers are going to be heavy on the cheese (stuff like double-advancing Sha'ir with theurge PrC's, stacking Sorcerer levels with Phaerimm racial casting, Domain Generalist 9th level spell bootstrapping, etc.). There's simply no way to attach the extra features you're asking for to a Wizard chassis without spending at least one level on it.