PDA

View Full Version : Arcanists, Wizards, and Sorcerers!

IntenseWizardry
2014-06-02, 10:40 AM
Hello friendly people of the internet! I want to build a Pathfinder Society character to play this summer, and I kind of want to try a spellcaster. Now, I'm trying to decide between an Arcanist or Wizard, though I am open to Sorcerer suggestions. Which one would you guys recommend, and what does each class shine in? Thanks in advance! :D

Stormageddon
2014-06-02, 01:19 PM
Hello friendly people of the internet! I want to build a Pathfinder Society character to play this summer, and I kind of want to try a spellcaster. Now, I'm trying to decide between an Arcanist or Wizard, though I am open to Sorcerer suggestions. Which one would you guys recommend, and what does each class shine in? Thanks in advance! :D

Well I'm pretty sure Arcanist isn't legal for PS play yet as it is still being playtested (Hopefully someone tells me this is not the case). So that brings you down to two choices. Wizards if you enjoy paperwork and Sorcerer if you don't.

Personally I like wizard a bit better in Pathfinder.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-06-02, 05:59 PM
The Playtest docs can be used for PFS play, though not every chapter is using the doc. You're also warned that you may have to make non-optimal changes after the final rules are released. So check with your local GMs and use at your own risk.

As to which class to play, do you know what kind of caster you're wanting to run?

Stormageddon
2014-06-02, 06:31 PM
The Playtest docs can be used for PFS play, though not every chapter is using the doc. You're also warned that you may have to make non-optimal changes after the final rules are released. So check with your local GMs and use at your own risk.

As to which class to play, do you know what kind of caster you're wanting to run?

That's great news! Glad to hear I was wrong!

Kudaku
2014-06-02, 06:36 PM
Wizards are great for being able to change spells daily and always having the right spell on hand, Sorcerers are great for not running out of spells, and Arcanists are somewhere in the middle.

That said, Wizards depend on having the right spells prepared (preferably in a spell slot, scrolls for emergencies) or they'll run out fast, Sorcerers depend on having the right spell on their spell list or else they can't really contribute, with Arcanists again somewhere in the middle.

All that said, I'd recommend you try out an Arcanist. It's a great class for people who are new to playing spellcasters.