PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tricky Metamagic stacking question

Xathrax
2014-06-02, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone!

I am planning to unleash holy bucketloads of damage on evildoers with the new character I am building(divine caster with DMM for blasting because Persistant Spell is just too much) and when looking for ways to do that I found an interesting interactions, but I am not sure if it works the way I think it does:

Energy Admixture + Fiery Spell

Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire) that matches an energy type you have selected for substitution via the Energy Substitution feat. You can then modify any spell with an energy descriptor by adding an equal amount of the chosen type of energy to the spell's normal effects. The altered spell works normally in all respects except for the type and amount of damage dealt, with each type of energy counting separately toward the spell's damage cap. Thus, an acid fi reball cast at 6th level deals 6d6 points offiredamage and 6d6 points of acid damage (rolled separately), while the same acid fi reball cast at 10th level or higher deals 10d6 points offiredamage and 10d6 points of acid damage. Even opposed types of energy (such asfireand cold) can be combined using this feat. An energy admixed spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell's actual level. As well, the spell's descriptor changes to include both energy types present in the spell—for example, the acid fi reball described above is an evocation [acid, fire] spell.

A fiery spell deals an extra 1 point of fire damage for each die of damage the spell deals. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fi re descriptor. For example, if a 9th-level wizard with this feat casts a fi ery fi reball, the fi reball deals 9d6+9 points of damage. A fiery spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

I will apply this to Flame Strike. It has the Fire descriptor so qualifies for Fiery Spell. Now here is the important part of the description:

A fiery spell deals an extra 1 point of fire damage for each die of damage the spell deals.

Now this states that it deals 1 extra point of fire damage, but for each die of damage the spell deals and not for each die of fire damage. So would this mean that my Fire/Acid 15CL Flamestrike would deal 15d6 fire damage + 15d6 acid damage + 30 fire damage? Also the "half damage is divine" part of flame strike only applies to the fire damage or the acid damage as well? I'm leaning towards the former, but I'd still try to get the GM to accept it.

Thank you for your time!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-02, 01:27 PM
Half of any damage dealt by Flame Strike is divine untyped damage.

An Energy Admixture (Acid) Flame Strike deals 15d6 half fire half divine energy, 15d6 half acid half divine energy, +15 fire, +15 divine energy.

Xathrax
2014-06-02, 01:47 PM
How would you argue about the untyped damage? Quoting from Flame Strike:

Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power.

If we read the text as it is it does not imply that half of the spell deals divine damage, but half of the fire damage. I would much prefer this to be correct, but I want to stock up on good arguments.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-02, 02:30 PM
"Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power..."

RAW: An energy admixed, fiery flame strike would go from 15d6 fire, 15d6 acid, +30 fire, to 15d6 fire, 15d6 divine energy, +15 fire, +15 divine energy. Half is fire, and half is divine energy.
RAI: An energy admixed, fiery flame strike would deal 15d6 half fire half divine energy, 15d6 half acid half divine energy, +15 fire, +15 divine energy. Half of the total damage the spell deals is divine energy.

Captnq
2014-06-02, 02:35 PM
You are correct. It's +1 fire damage for every die of damage. It's up to you how the metamagic feat is applied. You can choose to apply it before or after the 1/2 is divine damage. I'd take the unsoakable divine damage;

Xathrax
2014-06-02, 02:40 PM
"Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power..."

RAW: An energy admixed, fiery flame strike would go from 15d6 fire, 15d6 acid, +30 fire, to 15d6 fire, 15d6 divine energy, +15 fire, +15 divine energy. Half is fire, and half is divine energy.
RAI: An energy admixed, fiery flame strike would deal 15d6 half fire half divine energy, 15d6 half acid half divine energy, +15 fire, +15 divine energy. Half of the total damage the spell deals is divine energy.

Sir, you are a genius. If I had a cookie it would be yours. You could actually have the whole box.