PDA

View Full Version : Fell Conspiracy: Great feat, or greatest feat? (Okay, not literally.)

Zaq
2014-06-02, 01:24 PM
Fell Conspiracy is a feat from Exemplars of Evil. It's one of my favorite feats ever. Basically, for the low, low price of 50 gp a day, the entire party gets telepathy and a massive bonus on Spot and Listen checks. Oh, and message at-will, if you care about that. How massive are these Spot/Listen bonuses? Only +2 per other member of the party, that's all. (And there's no reason you can't include familiars, animal companions, zombie slaves, the literal party mule, or anything else like that, at least until the GM slaps you.) But even in just a basic four-person setup, that's a +6 on Spot and Listen checks for the entire party, and I'd call that a bare minimum. Best of all, it's not even evil; despite the book and the name, there's nothing that requires you to be evil, or that has an evil tinge to it, or anything.

So yeah. Awesome feat. So why did I bother making this topic? Because I want to know what other feats are on par with it in terms of providing massive benefits to the entire party.

The other Ceremony-style feats I know about (Blessing of the Godless in EoE, Ritual Blessing and Ritual Blood Bonds in PHB2, and the dragon-themed ones in DrM) are utterly weaksauce in comparison. I'm trying to think of what other feats provide as much benefit to the party as a whole. Draconic Aura (DrM) gives out party-wide benefits, so it's pretty nice, even if it's not nearly as obscenely huge a bonus. I can see an argument for feats that boost the hell out of Bardic Music (Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration, Words of Creation, and the like), since those do in fact affect the whole party once the Bard does his or her thing.

What else is out there? There's nothing wrong with feats that make you better at your chosen role and thus better able to contribute to the greater good (that is, after all, how most feats work), and you can say, for example, "well, taking crafting feats lets you craft items for anyone who wants them," but that's not what I'm talking about. The concept of feats that directly add so very much to the party intrigues me. There's gotta be more out there, right? 3.5 is vast. Help me out, Playground. What other feats give such a party-wide benefit?

Ruethgar
2014-06-02, 03:23 PM
The Alternate Form and Half Dragon Form feats together are pretty good on a half dragon. Awaken Frightful Presence/Spell Resistance are pretty good too, Dragonwrought of course, but all of those provide bonuses for only the character, massive bonuses yes, but not party wide.

The Chameleon's floating feat if of course THE best feat.

Rubik
2014-06-02, 03:25 PM
Leadership.

Because you ARE the party.

Amphetryon
2014-06-02, 03:27 PM
Is added value to the party measured by the number of bonuses the Feat gives to Skills over the entire party, for purposes of this thread? I'm just trying to get a read on whether things like Leadership and Craft Contingent Spell are outside the parameters you're examining.

137beth
2014-06-02, 03:39 PM
I'd say Craft Contingent Spell is the greatest feat.

Leadership is extremely dependent on the DM for its effectiveness. CCS is good no matter what.
If you can attract a cohort with CCS, then leadership would probably be the greatest feat.

Ruethgar
2014-06-02, 03:42 PM
The dragon follower feats from Mongoose Publishing's:Book of Dragons. Namely Dominion on a Cheesewrought Kobold for massive gold, or Cult for a slew of spellcasters.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-02, 03:48 PM
They're not feats but the Teamwork Benefits (DMG2, PHB2) and Companion Spirits (DMG2) give party-wide benefits. They're usually on the small side but they don't really cost much, either. Definitely worth taking a look at.