PDA

View Full Version : Captain SNES - shameless promotion

ChuckALF
2007-02-19, 01:07 AM
To preface this, I am not involved with this comic at all. I am just a fan.

I happened upon this webcomic from the ginormous list in the sticky forum on this page, and think it is probably the best webcomic I've read. If you liked and SNES RPGs, it's great. And even if you didn't, I think the story was really an example of excellent writing. Well, honestly, it took a while to get going...the first 10 - 15 or so comics are kinda lame, but eventually the story becomes absolutely phenomenal, with good characters, and a fascinating central story that I can't wait to see unfold.

Anyone else out there a fan as well?

(Note: The archives are terrible...to get through it, I had to bookmark whatever page I stopped reading on, because it was impossible to just jump to the right strip. Had that trouble with 8-bit theater too...very annoying.)

JKR
2007-02-19, 10:43 AM
No link? It's hard to go check it out if you don't tell us where it is!

ChuckALF
2007-02-19, 02:51 PM
No link? It's hard to go check it out if you don't tell us where it is!

Touché.

http://www.captainsnes.com/

Check it.

SITB
2007-02-19, 03:00 PM
I'm also a fan, but I have to disagree with you about the archives.

They are simply organized by plot arcs rather then numbers, it may be sometimes an inconvenience but if you are declined to remember the exact page and instead half vaguely recall what was the event that last happened then the archives format can be quite helpful.

On another note, what was your favorite arc?

ChuckALF
2007-02-23, 02:55 PM
Well, you could take "favorite arc" a few different ways. i.e. the Stryker story, etc. Or else which subsection of the main plot.

I choose the latter.

I personally really like the Lucca story, and how he is developing Lucca as a character. I mean, you play Chrono Trigger and you think about who she is and basically she gets shown up by Marle, has to constantly play the "nerdy best friend" with Chrono, loses her best friend by necessity when they change the future...and not to mention that she is Fire elemental. Her main purpose is to light things on fire, or blow them up. Sounds like Black Mage over at 8-BT, to me.

So yeah...I always kind of imagined that she'd have to be tempted to give in to darker urges. Hopefully we get some new comics soon, so I can see where it goes.

(p.s. I like the new one...I think that's totally in character for Marle, too)

Tim

sun_tzu
2007-03-21, 04:53 PM
I read the CSNES archives this week-end.
Wow.
Just, wow.
I'm not usually a fan of sprite comics, but, by the gods..."Captain SNES" creates an amazing multiversal epic, tying together a zillion of plot threads, each of which is fascinating in its own right. One of the greatest feats of story-telling on the web.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-24, 05:17 PM
Read through it, liked it, but are there ever going to be new comics? It looks like there have only been a couple dozen new ones in the past year.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-09, 10:37 AM
I just read the entire freaking archive. Hate viral marketing, and by extension, you guys.

Also, he better update soon. Last anything was posted in mid-February, and last story comic was in like October...the man doesn't seem to be great about schedule consistency. So, I'll probably check this every couple of months and get a half-dozen comics. Which beats a 500-comic marathon over a long weekend, I guess.

Indon
2007-04-09, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was a big fan of the webcomic... until it essentially stopped. Haven't gone back in months, no need. I've checked it once or twice a year just in case.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-11, 03:55 AM
I just read the entire freaking archive. Hate viral marketing, and by extension, you guys.

Also, he better update soon. Last anything was posted in mid-February, and last story comic was in like October...the man doesn't seem to be great about schedule consistency. So, I'll probably check this every couple of months and get a half-dozen comics. Which beats a 500-comic marathon over a long weekend, I guess.
Of course, I say that, and immediately afterwards he puts up two comics. Admittedly, they're a Quest for Alex and a Striker, but apparently there are new story comics on the way.

As he said in the caption for Monday's, Perfect............Timing.

Friv
2007-04-16, 04:24 PM
Yeah, every time I'm about to drop Captain SNES from my reading list, he goes and puts one more comic up. I'm hoping that he'll return to an actual regular update schedule. Some day.

*fingers crossed*

Mar-Vell
2007-04-17, 07:07 AM
I like it. Kinda made me want to play chrono trigger again.

Calemyr
2007-04-18, 10:13 AM
That is just sick, putting a link to this here. Seriously, why would you do this to your fellow webcomic fans? Show us an interesting setting, a grand look at the aftermath of the plot in various games, a intriguing main character who's an unusual mixture of virtue and taint, intuition and stupidity. A wealth of strips and a plot that, while perhaps not a masterwork, has enough charm to draw the reader in. And just when you think it's going to get even better...

It stops. Dead. And now looks as though it's not coming back at all. That's cruel, man. Just... cruel...

sun_tzu
2007-04-19, 02:11 AM
That is just sick, putting a link to this here. Seriously, why would you do this to your fellow webcomic fans? Show us an interesting setting, a grand look at the aftermath of the plot in various games, a intriguing main character who's an unusual mixture of virtue and taint, intuition and stupidity. A wealth of strips and a plot that, while perhaps not a masterwork, has enough charm to draw the reader in. And just when you think it's going to get even better...

It stops. Dead. And now looks as though it's not coming back at all. That's cruel, man. Just... cruel...
Actually, it looks like it's finally starting to move again. Last week had two updates in the "Quest for Alex", and a footnote mentionned that the next story comic is pretty much ready, but he wants to finish "Quest for Alex" first to get his confidence back up.

Calemyr
2007-04-19, 08:46 AM
That's good to hear, Sun_tzu (been a long time, by the way, how'v'ya been?). I misinterpreted the wording of the comic, then. A girl, seemingly Alex's only real weak point, offers to go out with him if he quits the comic... If I were to imagine a premature ending for the strip, that would have been one of my top three. If this isn't his farewell, I'm glad to hear it.

Enlong
2007-04-19, 10:39 AM
That's good to hear, Sun_tzu (been a long time, by the way, how'v'ya been?). I misinterpreted the wording of the comic, then. A girl, seemingly Alex's only real weak point, offers to go out with him if he quits the comic... If I were to imagine a premature ending for the strip, that would have been one of my top three. If this isn't his farewell, I'm glad to hear it.No, see, this is all in the past, and his accepting is why there were no story comics for nigh upon a full year. Marle and Lucca are travelling back with the Epoch, aka Deus Ex Machina to pick him up and stop the madness.

sun_tzu
2007-04-21, 05:52 AM
That's good to hear, Sun_tzu (been a long time, by the way, how'v'ya been?). I misinterpreted the wording of the comic, then. A girl, seemingly Alex's only real weak point, offers to go out with him if he quits the comic... If I were to imagine a premature ending for the strip, that would have been one of my top three. If this isn't his farewell, I'm glad to hear it.

Oh, I've been fine, discovering several great comics:smallsmile:.
And, yeah, I can see how it might be confusing to stumble upon that comic when that specific strip was on the front page...

sun_tzu
2007-04-27, 04:01 PM
Great news: An update in the story, at last!
The author says he's shooting for a "two updates a week" schedule for the foreseeable future.

Enlong
2007-04-27, 08:07 PM
First of all, Retroactive win is the best kind of win. They think they've won, and then, BANG! You hit them with a vat of Retroactive goo! Or is that Radioactive? Anyway, yay for story! And for ethical lying routines! And for the return of the comic that singlehandedly convinced me to get an emulator and get Chrono trigger, Lufia 1 and 2, and sooo many other games. CSNES, you WIN!

MReav
2007-04-27, 08:17 PM
Yay, it's back!

Alas, if only RPG world also was undergoing a similar revival.

sun_tzu
2007-05-04, 03:52 AM
Three story updates so far...Looking good.:smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-04, 07:04 AM
And the third update is positively made of win.

"This is all Richards' fault."
"Guybrush Threepwood."
"Why are you powering up?"

Indon
2007-05-04, 06:13 PM
Oh, wow, new updates.

This might just justify my going back to check up on it more often...