PDA

View Full Version : Player Help mother cyst spell line

Agamemmnoth
2014-06-02, 07:20 PM
Are these any good? we just got a new player who is a negative charged cleric and is considering these line of spells. Looks like they would be good except the issue with they have to be infected with a necrotic cyst which is a second level spell. Anyway to make it worth a feat?

Alleran
2014-06-02, 10:05 PM
Are these any good? we just got a new player who is a negative charged cleric and is considering these line of spells. Looks like they would be good except the issue with they have to be infected with a necrotic cyst which is a second level spell. Anyway to make it worth a feat?
The Necrotic Tumor spell is a permanent dominate effect that can't be blocked by the usual (e.g. Protection from Evil). I'd say that makes it worth a look, if you're into that sort of thing.

Agamemmnoth
2014-06-02, 11:08 PM
The Necrotic Tumor spell is a permanent dominate effect that can't be blocked by the usual (e.g. Protection from Evil). I'd say that makes it worth a look, if you're into that sort of thing.

Any way to up the dc of that second level spell? at later game it'll be resisted like crazy. I mean you could always gather a bunch of rats, infect them, or open up a rat breading farm and then send them lose to explode.

Other than flavorful stuff like that any really good way to help insure they get infected?

Jeff the Green
2014-06-02, 11:34 PM
Any way to up the dc of that second level spell?

Heighten Spell.

Alex12
2014-06-02, 11:36 PM
Anything that boosts the Save DCs of Necromancy spells or Evil spells would work.
Get them helpless first then hit them with the spell. This one's better if you don't want them dead, you want to control them.

Malroth
2014-06-02, 11:40 PM
I also reccomend Conceal spellcasting and Invisible spell so you can infect people in secret days or weeks in advance of when you need them.

Segev
2014-06-02, 11:51 PM
Remember that the save DC for the Necrotic Cyst is based on the level of the spell used to inflict it. Then look at Necrotic Eruption, which is 5th level. I believe there are higher-level spells which also have the same "anybody who takes damage from this saves vs. Necrotic Cyst as well" clause, too.

Now, also note that, if you're an evil character, you don't necessarily mind using and abusing low-level NPCs. Whammy low-level NPCs with Necrotic Cyst, then use Necrotic Tumor (or Necrotic Domination, or just simple intimidation) to make them travel with you. Send them to attack (ineffectually) enemies you want to actually hit with this, then detonate them with Necrotic Eruption to do fireball damage (which is half untyped and half vile) and force everything in the area to save vs. being infected (and thus vulnerable to your line of spells).

Note, too, that many spells which cause death of the victim of a Necrotic Cyst also spawn a Skulking Cyst. Sure, they have limited uses/day of a low-DC Necrotic Cyst, but those can be used on low-level NPCs and creatures, or spammed en masse against higher-level ones (assuming they can hit) on the chance that a nat 1 gets rolled on the save. You DO need to use your Rebuke/Command Undead power, or a Command Undead or Control Undead spell, to take control of the Skulking Cysts, though.

Agamemmnoth
2014-06-03, 12:21 AM
this is exactly what I was looking for.

Rebel7284
2014-06-03, 12:28 AM
If you are going with Divine Metamagic and get high enough in levels, an all day Necrotic Empowerment may be worth giving up the rest of the powers.