PDA

View Full Version : [Build Help][3.P] How to build Homura (Madoka)

RFLS
2014-06-02, 08:11 PM
Hey, Playground, it's been a while!

I recently sat down and watched through Madoka (haven't seen Rebellion yet), and was contemplating building the 6 main characters. For the most part, they're easy - Sayaka is a Crusader/Cleric/RKV, Kyoko is probably a Warblade gish of some sort, Madoka is, for most of the show, Commoner 1, and then goes to Wizard 20, and Mami is probably a ranger with the ACF combo that turns them into a wizard-lite, or a gunslinger gish.

The bit I'm having trouble with is Homura. How the frack do you build that? The best I can come up with is that she's some sort of weird alchemist//psion gestalt, but....I dunno. Does anyone have thoughts along these lines?

JeminiZero
2014-06-02, 08:59 PM
The problem with Homura is that she completely breaks WBL. In modern terms, she has millions (if not billions) of dollars in advanced weaponry, mostly stolen from the military. Most of her fights just have her firing off a few random guns and bombs. And you only see the full extent of how MUCH she stole in the very last fight.

In D&D world its a bit hard to replicate her theft (since anything rich enough to have that kind of weaponry, would also be strong enough to defend it). You can try and break WBL by some other means. Since she is clearly abusing the psionic save game trick, maybe she is a Spell-to-Power Erudite who picked up all sorts of powers and spells that allow her to print money/produce weapons (fabricate, water to acid, explosive runes bomb, etc).

Edit: And using PP recharge tricks to be able to have a large stack of weapons in a short time.

Aquillion
2014-06-02, 10:34 PM
The only time powers that really reflect what she does are found in psionics; she needs Time Regression, which means she has to be a Nomad. However, her abilities (resetting the entire campaign as many times as she desires) are basically beyond the scope of anything a PC can do -- you pretty much have to go with epic psionics for that. This fits with the storyline -- she has vastly more XP than anyone else in her group.

Incidentally, this solves all her other issues as well, because abusing that Epic Time Regression is what got her all the resources, say.

RFLS
2014-06-03, 09:25 AM
The problem with Homura is that she completely breaks WBL. In modern terms, she has millions (if not billions) of dollars in advanced weaponry, mostly stolen from the military. Most of her fights just have her firing off a few random guns and bombs. And you only see the full extent of how MUCH she stole in the very last fight.

In D&D world its a bit hard to replicate her theft (since anything rich enough to have that kind of weaponry, would also be strong enough to defend it). You can try and break WBL by some other means. Since she is clearly abusing the psionic save game trick, maybe she is a Spell-to-Power Erudite who picked up all sorts of powers and spells that allow her to print money/produce weapons (fabricate, water to acid, explosive runes bomb, etc).

Edit: And using PP recharge tricks to be able to have a large stack of weapons in a short time.

Can you step me through the save game trick? I've seen it a couple of times, but it seems to always rely on a psicrystal going forward in time, which isn't quite what happens. I realize this is the definition of nitpicking here, but, hey. It's 3.5. We're all about the nits and the picking thereof.

Seer_of_Heart
2014-06-03, 09:34 AM
Have your psicrystal manifest forced dream(from some eberron book) which lets it reset time to the start of his turn and send it forward in time so that its still in the same round and therefore can reset time.

JeminiZero
2014-06-03, 09:41 AM
Can you step me through the save game trick? I've seen it a couple of times, but it seems to always rely on a psicrystal going forward in time, which isn't quite what happens.
Here is a description of the Save Game Trick (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8504.0). Basically, it relies on Forced Dream being able to restart a turn, and then combining it with Mass Time Hop to drag out that 1 turn for many hours (perhaps even the whole day), so that when the turn is restarted, you go back several hours.

Gemini476
2014-06-03, 10:00 AM
Eschew Material components with Teleport Through Time (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)and some way to cast Time Stop repeatedly, I guess.

She probably has them both as spell-like abilities granted by her Lich Magical Girl template.

The mass of weapons is a completely separate issue, although I'm unsure that they break WBL since honestly mundane weaponry is extremely cheap in comparison to what you have even as a level 20 character.
Like, really cheap.
Even if they cost 1,000gp/each, that ends up being 760 weapons. That's a lot.

Here's a list of weaponry, stolen from a wiki:
ep 3
Pipe bomb

ep 8
M26 grenade
Beretta 92FS

ep 9
M84 stun grenade

ep 10
Pipe bomb
Desert Eagle Mark XIX
Remington Model 870
Howa Type 89
FN Minimi
M26 grenade

ep 11
AT-4
RPG-7
L16 mortar
Tanker truck
Type 88 Surface-to-Ship missile
Harpoon anti-ship missiles
C-4 (enough to cover a building)

I'm fairly sure that that can fit into level 20 WBL.