PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a DMPC but not really, need help with a concept.

Grayson01
2014-06-02, 08:38 PM
Okay so I have decided to run a campaign and for the start of the story one of the PC's will be realted to this DMPC/NPC. The NPC in question will be a scholar with 10 ranks in LoreMaster PRC. I don't really wanna go just WIZ/LM. The NPC in question will get kidnapped very early on, for his secrets on the words of creation which will be used to create a Warforged Army for the Big Bad. The PC's will be forced to go and attempt to rescue him, which will end up sending them to another realm.... The thing is I am really spacing on how to build the NPC. he should not be over powered at all, in fact should be week combat wise but knowdlge wise exceptional. So some advice on said NPC build would be great. I was wondering if you Bard could find a way to qualify for Loremaster or if anyoen could think of a better base class for this concept.

Edit: Or if there is a better PRC for the concept.

Gildedragon
2014-06-02, 08:57 PM
Idea: The NPC has the knowledge but not the magic. That is the BB's shtick
Uncle/Great Uncle that used to travel a lot, picked knowledge from various places.

Class sugestion:
Bardic Sage

Actually, better yet: Use the Savant (DrC)
It gets some spells (a limited list) but can get quite good Int checks

Traits: Absentminded
Trait (pathfinder): Pragmatic Activator

Feats: Omniscient Whispers, Item Creation feats

These feats make it plausible they have a lot of ranks in knowledge, lots of answers, but they aren't very much optimized. They can cast some spells and do some stuff, but are clearly not the focus, can't be.

The Insanity
2014-06-02, 08:58 PM
Cue DMPC hate in 3... 2... 1...

What level are your players? 10 levels in Loremaster make him at least 15th level.
And yes, Bard should be able to take Loremaster.
I would suggest making the NPC a high level (if your PCs are high level) Expert specialized in knowledges. Maybe with the Exemplar PRC or something like that.

atemu1234
2014-06-02, 09:04 PM
I'll stick to general advice. As a DMPC, make sure you don't steal the spotlight. Never take more speaking time than the PCs, and limit your interactions to them to strict exposition. Is this going to be a one-shot adventure or is it going to be a recurring character?

Grayson01
2014-06-02, 09:25 PM
Cue DMPC hate in 3... 2... 1...

What level are your players? 10 levels in Loremaster make him at least 15th level.
And yes, Bard should be able to take Loremaster.
I would suggest making the NPC a high level (if your PCs are high level) Expert specialized in knowledges. Maybe with the Exemplar PRC or something like that.

they would be 3-5 and he would be more of a NPC. He would mostly be a brotherly father figure. Who will get kidnapped very early.

RobotArtificer
2014-06-02, 09:29 PM
I think truenamer might actually be a reasonable choice here. They are not strong in combat, but have several abilities that boost knowledge checks, and it also fits with the words of creation flavor.

Grayson01
2014-06-02, 10:03 PM
Idea: The NPC has the knowledge but not the magic. That is the BB's shtick
Uncle/Great Uncle that used to travel a lot, picked knowledge from various places.

Class sugestion:
Bardic Sage

Feats: Omniscient Whispers, Item Creation feats

These feats make it plausible they have a lot of ranks in knowledge, lots of answers, but they aren't very much optimized. They can cast some spells and do some stuff, but are clearly not the focus, can't be.

Bardic Sage is just what I am looking for thank you that is perfict! And Omniscient Whispers is anotehr great idea!

torrasque666
2014-06-02, 10:56 PM
I think truenamer might actually be a reasonable choice here. They are not strong in combat, but have several abilities that boost knowledge checks, and it also fits with the words of creation flavor.

Wait, an actual use for truenamers?

Diovid
2014-06-03, 03:09 AM
I'm a fan of Bardic Sage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantBardicSage) / Urban Savant / Paragnostic Apostle with the Trivial Knowledge feat (Races of Stone). Urban Savant is from Cityscape and Paragonostic Apostle is from Complete Champion.

Other feats that you could look at are Obscure Lore (Complete Adventurer), Breadth of Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana), Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion) and Master of Knowledge (Heroes of Horror).

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 09:44 AM
Actually: truenamer is a great option. Don't ever say truenamer though.
Also the capacity to unbreak magic items might be part of the capture

John Longarrow
2014-06-03, 09:51 AM
Grayson01
For a really wierd mix, go Cloistered Cleric and adapt LoreMaster to use divine.
And have said Uncle be a fallen cleric so can't cast.

LOTS of skills and some weird abilities, but basically a glorified expert that has some very cool RP flair. This works really well if BBEG belongs to the faith he used to belong to. Used to, because he no longer agrees with the idea of taking over the world?

atemu1234
2014-06-03, 09:58 AM
Wait, an actual use for truenamers?

As an NPC? No complaints from the imaginary.

With a box
2014-06-03, 10:29 AM
a mad idea:
how about epic wizard who lost his spellcasting ablity while he tried to destroy a artifact by disjunction?

Grayson01
2014-06-03, 05:20 PM
a mad idea:
how about epic wizard who lost his spellcasting ablity while he tried to destroy a artifact by disjunction?

That is a good idea, and he is a collector of Artifacts. I would have to come up with a good reason why he would destory an artifcat.

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 05:42 PM
To see if he could?
I mean someone must have learned about that willsave the hard way.

Spore
2014-06-03, 06:12 PM
That is a good idea, and he is a collector of Artifacts. I would have to come up with a good reason why he would destory an artifcat.

It had written "Doomsday Device. Property by BBEG, do not touch" written in magical draconic letters over it.

No seriously there are more than enough reasons to construct why someone would destroy an artifact and not harness its power. He's good I presume. I think he should've sacrificed his spell casting ability by choice to save the world. Just let this be a mystery to you and the group. By the time the question comes up again you should have a fitting and great answer.

Grayson01
2014-06-03, 06:14 PM
It had written "Doomsday Device. Property by BBEG, do not touch" written in magical draconic letters over it.

No seriously there are more than enough reasons to construct why someone would destroy an artifact and not harness its power. He's good I presume. I think he should've sacrificed his spell casting ability by choice to save the world. Just let this be a mystery to you and the group. By the time the question comes up again you should have a fitting and great answer.

But characterwise he wouldn't do ether he would collect it, study it, write about it, put it on a shelf and wonder about it.

Crake
2014-06-03, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=The Insanity;17566716What level are your players? 10 levels in Loremaster make him at least 15th level.[/QUOTE]

Actually, loremaster needs level 7 to qualify, so minimum level 17 for 10 levels of loremaster

Spore
2014-06-03, 06:33 PM
But characterwise he wouldn't do ether he would collect it, study it, write about it, put it on a shelf and wonder about it.

There are situations where you can't pick your favorite outcome. But it's up to you. All I'm trying to say is that a close-to-epic spellcaster is hard to be captured permanently. You should consider some sort of weakness. The most boring decision would be a cell with an permanent anti-magic field.

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 06:55 PM

Yeah, so he pokes at it with spells while studying... and it accidentally goes boom, and shawham! there went his magic.