PDA

View Full Version : For fun: Samurai Jack's Sword

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-19, 08:45 AM
(I know it's badly formatted)

Samurai Jack's Sword
+5 Katana
When wielded by a Good-aligned person, gains the holy ability (2d6 extra damage to evil creatures, as per that Paladin spell I can't remember). It also overcomes up to 5 points of damage reduction of any nongood being.
Any lethal damage it would inflict on good aligned creatures is reduced to 0. It can still be used to inflict subdual/nonlethal damage to a good creature, or to sunder any equipment a good creature is carrying.

Naturally, it's a Major Artifact/Relic. What do you think?

Alfryd
2007-02-19, 08:49 AM
So, what kind of damage reduction are we looking at for Aku?

Holocron Coder
2007-02-19, 09:00 AM
If it's a major artifact / relic, it's rather weak... I mean, its basically a +5 Holy Bastard Sword stat-wise. Anyone with some money can make one. And then it has a detriment that makes it weaker by not being able to dmg good creatures.

Not sure how to improve upon it, though.

AngelSword
2007-02-19, 09:22 AM
So, what kind of damage reduction are we looking at for Aku?
I'm not sure about the actual amount, but it'd obviously be bypassed by Jade, which is a good ability to add to the sword ("This weapon is treated as Jade and Good-aligned for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction.").

If I remember correctly, the sword is an Ancestral Weapon, which has special rules in Oriental Adventures. I never actually reviewed the rules, though, so I can't quote them.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-19, 09:42 AM
Well, I borrowed Oriental Adventures from a friend for a while last year; let's see if memory serves. In OA, I belive that the powers of an ancestral weapon were only unlocked by those taking levels in the samurai class, and by spending some gp and some time in prayer the spirit of the samurai's ancestors would enter the sword, making it more powerful and adding magical effects to it. Anyone care to confirm this?

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-19, 10:06 AM
Well, the sword was forged by Odin, Ra and Vishnu by taking the spirit of human righteousness from Jack's father, and literally forging a blade out of it. While it is his father's sword, I don't think that has any special effects in itself. I made it major seeing as how it was forged by the leaders of three different pantheons to combat the last remnant of an ancient divine evil (Aku). It does have that no-good-hurtin' flaw (as seen when Aku stole it and tried to kill Jack with it, but it couldn't even penetrate Jack's flesh), so maybe I could up the power somehow. Anyone have recommendations? I like the Jade idea for starters.

Alfryd
2007-02-19, 10:55 AM
Well, there was that occasion when Jack was blessed with additional strength to hack through the last of those large robots. I don't know if that would be considered the sword's power per se, though.

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-19, 10:57 AM
No, I think there he just beseeched his ancestors to aid him. Probably any weapon he was wielding at the time would have been imbued with that energy.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-19, 03:13 PM
It needs the ability to deflect lasers and other impossible stunts.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-19, 04:57 PM
Anyone have recommendations? I like the Jade idea for starters.

"Samurai Jack's sword is to be considered any and all of the following for the purposes of defeating Damage Resistance: Adamantium, Jade, Lawful and Good"

AngelSword
2007-02-19, 05:23 PM
I think it would be an acceptable change to make the blade incapable of harming what it considers its current owner. Somewhat intelligent, but not so much as to have an ego.

I don't remember the show all too well. Has the blade done anything normally impossible for a sword to perform, IE firing a beam ("Master Sword" effect), caused a shield to appear, or the like?

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-19, 05:27 PM
IT...almost killed Aku. How about it automatically overcomes the damage reduction of all evil creatures automatically and forces shape-shifted creatures into their normal form? Then add a slashing version of the Disrution magical ability, and we'd be on our way to a good artifact, though there's alot missing.