PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft installation help (Mac OSX)

Holocron Coder
2007-02-19, 09:19 AM
Alright... I own an iMac that I use for everything. It has OSX without OS9, and I need to install StarCraft and the Brood War Expansion.

I've gone to the Blizzard/SC website and found the native installer for OSX. However, when I go to install Brood War, it freezes installation somewhere in the second CD (being the SC cd), before crashing. However, when I run just the SC install (w/o Brood War), it installs normally.

Basically, I'm asking, is there some way I can install SC and BW? I've researched online and tried a few method, including one that says to use the most recent patch and toss the .mpq files from a windows installation into the same folder, but I get some "error with Local" problem.

Help, please? I would love to play this game again without having to jump systems continuously.

Zadmah
2007-02-19, 10:04 AM
You Can get an native installer for starcraft
here: www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p (blizzards site)
or here:http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/starcraftx.html (apple site)
Both are about half way through the page.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-19, 10:14 AM
You Can get an native installer for starcraft
here: www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p (blizzards site)
or here:http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/starcraftx.html (apple site)
Both are about half way through the page.

I've gone to the Blizzard/SC website and found the native installer for OSX. However, when I go to install Brood War, it freezes installation somewhere in the second CD (being the SC cd), before crashing. However, when I run just the SC install (w/o Brood War), it installs normally.

You must've missed that part :P The native installer breaks for me.

Zadmah
2007-02-19, 12:02 PM
could be a scrath on your disk, My disk is scratched in a way that i can't play with it but it still installed fine. I don't know if there is another way to install Starcraft though, sorry.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-19, 03:18 PM
No, I checked the cd... it's fine. Like I said, it runs when u just the install of the basic game, but fails when u try to do the expansion then the basic game (as that is the order the native install tries to do it in).

Holocron Coder
2007-02-19, 08:03 PM
Alright, I eventually figured it out. I'm leaving it here in case someone else comes across this.

First off, I have a laptop AND a desktop, both Macs, and the laptop has OS9.

I installed it on the OS9, then grabbed the entire directory and dropped it into my desktop, then downloaded the latest patch from the net and put it into the StarCraft Files folder, then used the ship-shaped Carbon file to open starcraft. :)

So, my solution eneds OS9 on at least one computer, but now it runs on OSX without the poorly done native installer.