PDA

View Full Version : Building "Quicksilver" from the latest X-Men Flick (If I Could Save Time in a Bottle)

Archomental
2014-06-03, 12:37 AM
Hopefully some of you have taken the time to venture out and see the latest X-men (Days of Future Past). If not, PLEASE do yourself the kindness of seeing the film, it really is worth the money.

Anyway, to those who HAVE seen it, I'm sure you'll all remember Quicksilver's "slow-mo" scene in the kitchens, and without being too "spoilerific", let's just say I was inspired. I'm currently embarking on a character creation expedition to build a character with that kind of movement potential, and I'd LOVE to see any tips and tricks my fellow 3.5 players have for reaching that level of speed and control, albeit on a temporary basis.

Obvious avenues are the Psionic Prestige class, the Elocator, as well as generally being a practitioner of the mental arts.

Other options could potentially be the Monk (or some kind of Monk PrC), or otherwise a customized Swordsage from the Tome of Battle. (Diamond Mind, Desert Wind, and Shadow Hand specifically)

Other than that... I'm stumped.

Long story short, I'm attempting to create a character who can, at least intermittently, replicate feats of speed and skill shown in the clip below, while still maintaining some significant martial ability and general flair.

The Clip in question (WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK, CONTAINS A SCENE FROM X-Men, Days of Future Past): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL7NmkWLdqw (Sorry for the quality, obvious theater filming)

UPDATE: Going with a Swordsage (possibly the Arcane variant) for my Base Class. Considering the "Storm Soul" homebrew Discipline, as well as the DM, DW, and SH. The journey continues...

UPDATE: I picked a Race and my first couple feats (our DM lets us start with 2): Going with the Lesser Aasimar for the Wis Bonus, and starting with Intuitive Attack and Adaptive Style. Onward!

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-06-03, 12:40 AM
You're looking for the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327). Use Haste to get extra actions, even replicate Time-Stop, and excellent for many Gish builds.

Archomental
2014-06-03, 12:46 AM
You're looking for the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327). Use Haste to get extra actions, even replicate Time-Stop, and excellent for many Gish builds.

I actually JUST stumbled on this - would I be breaking bounds to modify this class to adapt to the Swordsage, perhaps? Maybe substitute Haste for something in one of the Disciplines...

Emperor Tippy
2014-06-03, 12:46 AM
I would probably do it with a Factotum//Psion with some wizard spells as powers known.

The pushing bullets bit is honestly the hardest bit to replicate in D&D.

Archomental
2014-06-03, 12:49 AM
I would probably do it with a Factotum//Psion with some wizard spells as powers known.

Makes sense - and I find flying sticks (arrows) are probably easier to push aside than bullets, unless we're talking gunslingers.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-06-03, 01:01 AM
I actually JUST stumbled on this - would I be breaking bounds to modify this class to adapt to the Swordsage, perhaps? Maybe substitute Haste for something in one of the Disciplines...

I mean, you could, but the class is subtitled Haste Personified, so you might lose something, at least flavor wise, in doing so. The other issue is, since maneuvers can be refreshed, but spells (generally) can't, you do increase the power level somewhat dramatically. Not like, up to tier one dramatically, but being able to cast Time Stop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm) effectively at will is nothing to shake a stick at.

Another option would be to use the Mad Minute trick from the Psionic Tricks Handbook linked in my sig, combined with Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/temporalAcceleration.htm). Nota bene, Temporal Acceleration doesn't quite mix with the Mad Minute trick (it is beyond the limits of Affinity Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm)), and you'll probably want some means of recharge.

That part would require some means of getting your Time Stop (or equivalent) off as an immediate action, and a permissive DM. As far as I'm aware, there is no definite rule on whether or not an arrow (or bullet) takes any time to travel from shooter to point of impact. However, if you got your Time Stop (or equivalent) off as an immediate action, and you were able to do so after the projectile was fired but before it made impact, you should be able to move it around, as they are not "[an item] held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time." Whether or not this affects their trajectory would, of course, be up to your DM.

Edit: Oh, and you'll want some means of boosting your base speed. The Dark, Shadow, Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm), and Epic Level Handbook Pseudonatural Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) templates do so (though the latter two may be somewhat impractical), and there may be others. And I believe the Chuck E. Cheese (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2548.0) build may have some salvageable speed boosts.

kalasulmar
2014-06-03, 03:09 AM
What were all of those people doing in the new Wolverine movie?

ChocoSuisse
2014-06-03, 03:49 AM
You can check the Quickling race, from the revised Tome of Horrors (best version imho).
They're feys with silver hair and a rapid metabolism.
They reachadulthood by the age of 2, middle age at 5, old age at 12,
and venerable at age 15.
They have a 120ft base speed, which is a good start for your build.

Archomental
2014-06-03, 07:03 AM

I like you. :)

Archomental
2014-06-03, 07:11 AM
I mean, you could, but the class is subtitled Haste Personified, so you might lose something, at least flavor wise, in doing so. The other issue is, since maneuvers can be refreshed, but spells (generally) can't, you do increase the power level somewhat dramatically. Not like, up to tier one dramatically, but being able to cast Time Stop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm) effectively at will is nothing to shake a stick at.

Another option would be to use the Mad Minute trick from the Psionic Tricks Handbook linked in my sig, combined with Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/temporalAcceleration.htm). Nota bene, Temporal Acceleration doesn't quite mix with the Mad Minute trick (it is beyond the limits of Affinity Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm)), and you'll probably want some means of recharge.

That part would require some means of getting your Time Stop (or equivalent) off as an immediate action, and a permissive DM. As far as I'm aware, there is no definite rule on whether or not an arrow (or bullet) takes any time to travel from shooter to point of impact. However, if you got your Time Stop (or equivalent) off as an immediate action, and you were able to do so after the projectile was fired but before it made impact, you should be able to move it around, as they are not "[an item] held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time." Whether or not this affects their trajectory would, of course, be up to your DM.

Edit: Oh, and you'll want some means of boosting your base speed. The Dark, Shadow, Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm), and Epic Level Handbook Pseudonatural Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) templates do so (though the latter two may be somewhat impractical), and there may be others. And I believe the Chuck E. Cheese (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2548.0) build may have some salvageable speed boosts.

Thanks for the in-depth response! I'll definitely keep an eye on various mvt. speed races, and hopefully I can find a combo that works. My current DM is pretty allowing, so I think I can make it work. As a side-note, the aforementioned DM would allow me to take Haste as the Duskblade (from PH2) as the equivalent of a 3rd level spell, so truthfully I could probably swing it that way.

I'll think it over. Thanks again!

Gemini476
2014-06-03, 07:35 AM
As broken and incomplete as it is, this is one of the potential things that I like with the Arcane Swordsage.
Unlimited Time Stop.

As an Arcane Swordsage 17, grab Time Stop as one of your maneuvers known. Have it readied at all times. When you decide that you want to move fast, initiate the maneuver to stop time for 1+1d4 rounds. Then ready Time Stop again in the first round, and initiate it again before the first one finishes. You'll get at least one move action per Time Stop, as well as two swift actions. Make use of them.

Have fun stopping time forever, I guess!

Although do note that Time Stop does not stack with itself - the new version simply replaces the last one. I think. If they do stack you could work out for twenty minutes to get ten minutes to initiate Contingency or something, but yeah.

Do note that the Arcane Swordsage is very unclear and unfinished as written, and that you're unlikely to be allowed to play as one. The interpretation I tend to use is that you can learn touch or personal range abjurations, evocations, and transmutations as supernatural maneuvers, but that's just from what I've managed to infer from the RAW. Material components and XP costs are up in the air, but it depends on if you think the Dweomerkeeper is a good example of what supernatural spells in general do (rather than being specific for that class).

jjcrpntr
2014-06-03, 08:01 AM

crapping on the source material.

Psyren
2014-06-03, 09:30 AM
Either Swiftblade with Hidden Talent (Synchronicity) + Up The Walls, or a Nomad/Elocater (preferably the PF version so you also get Physical Acceleration and other cool things) would be how I would do it.

I can tell you haven't actually seen it. He is just a Macguffin in this one (1 of 2, the second one being Mystique.) The actual star of the film, the guy with a character arc, is Xavier.

ArqArturo
2014-06-03, 10:53 AM

You always need secondary characters.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-06-03, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the in-depth response! I'll definitely keep an eye on various mvt. speed races, and hopefully I can find a combo that works. My current DM is pretty allowing, so I think I can make it work. As a side-note, the aforementioned DM would allow me to take Haste as the Duskblade (from PH2) as the equivalent of a 3rd level spell, so truthfully I could probably swing it that way.

I'll think it over. Thanks again!

The trouble with mixing Duskblade and Swiftblade is that you need sixth level (and higher) spell slots to make use of Innervated Speed, and Duskblades only go up to fifth level spell slots. You might want to check out the Swiftblade Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=333) for build ideas.

Archomental
2014-06-03, 11:10 PM
The trouble with mixing Duskblade and Swiftblade is that you need sixth level (and higher) spell slots to make use of Innervated Speed, and Duskblades only go up to fifth level spell slots. You might want to check out the Swiftblade Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=333) for build ideas.

Makes sense. I'll browse around that as well. Might just end up going with the Arcane Swordsage, or else maybe homebrew up a "Haste" Maneuver with my DM. We'll make it work. Having read over the disciplines a lot in this research has made me REALLY want to try out the Swordsage.

kalasulmar
2014-06-04, 02:43 AM
crapping on the source material.
Did Peter Jackson direct this one?

Archomental
2014-06-04, 06:03 PM
UPDATE: So I found a nice homebrew discipline that upgrades my movement speed and attacks per round potential. It's a likely candidate if anyone is looking for an agile, swift-striking Discipline for their ToB collection. Props to Rithaniel for putting it together!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?137838-Storm-Soul-3-5e-Martial-Discipline-PEACH

Vogonjeltz
2014-06-04, 06:11 PM
As broken and incomplete as it is, this is one of the potential things that I like with the Arcane Swordsage.
Unlimited Time Stop.

As an Arcane Swordsage 17, grab Time Stop as one of your maneuvers known. Have it readied at all times. When you decide that you want to move fast, initiate the maneuver to stop time for 1+1d4 rounds. Then ready Time Stop again in the first round, and initiate it again before the first one finishes. You'll get at least one move action per Time Stop, as well as two swift actions. Make use of them.

Have fun stopping time forever, I guess!

Although do note that Time Stop does not stack with itself - the new version simply replaces the last one. I think. If they do stack you could work out for twenty minutes to get ten minutes to initiate Contingency or something, but yeah.

Do note that the Arcane Swordsage is very unclear and unfinished as written, and that you're unlikely to be allowed to play as one. The interpretation I tend to use is that you can learn touch or personal range abjurations, evocations, and transmutations as supernatural maneuvers, but that's just from what I've managed to infer from the RAW. Material components and XP costs are up in the air, but it depends on if you think the Dweomerkeeper is a good example of what supernatural spells in general do (rather than being specific for that class).

As much as I like the ingenuity, the PC doesn't know how long the duration of Time Stop is, and readying an action is essentially taking up the whole round, so this doesn't work.

Gemini476
2014-06-04, 06:47 PM
As much as I like the ingenuity, the PC doesn't know how long the duration of Time Stop is, and readying an action is essentially taking up the whole round, so this doesn't work.

Yeah, if it doesn't stack and you don't have some way to increase the duration then you're just getting a move action from every Time Stop.
Time Stop as a standard action, ready Time Stop within the Time Stop as a full action, do something with your move action, Time Stop as a standard action.
Remember, you always get at least two rounds out of Time Stop. Although I suppose you could have a Contingency set up to alarm you when the Time Stop is about to run out, and thus get 1+1d4+1d4 rounds out of it...

And being able to move around freely while time is stopped is an extremely cool mental image. It's like you're Neo, except include some scenes where you just waltz past all of the magical alarms and traps and literally just walk into the BBEG's lair completely unnoticed.

Oh, and remember to grab Adaptive Style so you're able to ready all your maneuvers within the Time Stop. That's pretty useful.

Here's what I've managed to puzzle together regarding the Arcane Swordsage, Archomental:
Here's the text for the adaptation itself:

If you prefer, you could
instead emphasize the magical talents of the swordsage by
giving the swordsage the ability to learn arcane spells in place
of maneuvers of equivalent level. In general, spells from the
schools of abjuration, evocation, and transmutation are most
appropriate for a swordsage of this type, especially spells with
a range of personal or touch. The arcane spell is “cast” as if
it were a martial maneuver. In this case, you should remove
the class’s light armor proficiency and reduce the swordsage’s
Hit Die to d6.
So in summary:

Gain: Ability to learn arcane spells in place of maneuvers of equivalent level.
Lose: Light armor proficiency (ask your DM about the AC Bonus class feature), Hit Die reduced to d6.
You'll need to work with your DM about what spells are allowed, but assuming that it's "personal or touch range from abjuration, evocation or transmutation from the sorcerer/wizard list" is a safe bet.

Also, from page 40 of ToB:

Extraordinary or Supernatural Abilities: Martial
maneuvers and stances are never spells or spell-like abilities.
Unless the description of the specific maneuver or stance
says otherwise, treat it as an extraordinary ability. Thus,
these abilities work just fine in an antimagic field or a dead
magic zone. A maneuver or stance can’t be dispelled or
counterspelled, and initiating one does not provoke attacks
of opportunity.
If a maneuver is overtly magical or otherwise uses a supernatural
power source, it is noted as a supernatural ability in its
description. In this case, the maneuver obeys all the standard
rules for supernatural abilities.
So your "spells" are supernatural. Assume for the moment that they still require XP and material components to avoid your DM's ire.
Also, your "spells" are not actually spells. You cannot use metamagic with them and they are not modified by anything that would modify your spells or CL or whatever. They rely on your Initiator Level, and presumably use Wisdom for the DC although you really really need to ask your GM when it comes to this. Point towards Shadow Hand and Desert Wind for arguments about making it Wis, but do realize that the DM might want to make it Int or Cha.
Most importantly, when it comes to playing as an Arcane Swordsage: don't be a jerk. Don't ruin your DM's day by demanding to play this extremely unfinished variant, but discuss it with them. Don't go out of your way to choose the most overpowered personal-range Transmutations at every level, even if Shapechange is godly. Talk with your DM about what spells you want to have access to, which I would suggest to include Celerity and Contingency in addition to Time Stop. But don't be upset if you don't get access to them.
If your group is one where optimization is rampant, however, feel free to disregard all that and just Zodar your way to victory.