2007-02-19, 10:33 AM
Are there any of these on the market?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-19, 10:40 AM
Lost your d20? :D

Khantalas
2007-02-19, 10:43 AM
What, you got too many d12s at hand?

I know of d6 (Star Wars), d10 (White Wolf) and d20 (d20). Nothing else. Sorry to disappoint.

PirateMonk
2007-02-19, 10:48 AM
Lost your d20? :D

No, just wondering. Anyone know anything?

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-19, 10:52 AM
You could just use my system, but substitue D12s for D6es, and up the relevant numbers a bit.

linky http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35320

squishycube
2007-02-19, 11:01 AM
I don't think he is looking to use a d12 system, just see if there is one (and maybe use it if it's good, but that's not the point).
I might be wrong, but I think it would be weird to specifically go looking for a system that uses a particular mechanic, it doesn't seem like a good way to value a system.

The Prince of Cats
2007-02-19, 11:13 AM
Pokethulhu?

[Linky goodness! (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm)]

PirateMonk
2007-02-19, 11:30 AM
I don't think he is looking to use a d12 system, just see if there is one (and maybe use it if it's good, but that's not the point).
I might be wrong, but I think it would be weird to specifically go looking for a system that uses a particular mechanic, it doesn't seem like a good way to value a system.

Yeah, basically.

Legoman
2007-02-19, 11:36 AM
The Serentiy RPG uses different die steps in accordance with character skill.... from d2 to d12+d4.

Not a standardized d12, though.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-02-19, 11:38 AM
Well, D12 are my favorite dice, too. But the facts are the facts. Who's up for linking them to the "Unloved d12" comic? Nobody really uses d12 for anything. Even in my homebrew systems, I've only found 4/5 occasions where it worked. Determining birth month for characters (1 roll per campaign!), Combo Attack (2-4 per session for one character), and a few other miscellaneous things that rarely came up. D12 just is impractical, I'm afraid. (Though I don't get the love for d10s in any way, shape, or form)

Oh, and I want a d30 based system. I need something to use my d30 for, other than days of the month!

mikeejimbo
2007-02-19, 11:43 AM

I know of d6 (Star Wars), d10 (White Wolf) and d20 (d20). Nothing else. Sorry to disappoint.

Don't forget GURPS, which uses 3d6, but you want low.

Pokethulhu?

[Linky goodness! (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm)]

I'm scared. Should I be scared?

Golthur
2007-02-19, 12:30 PM
Old-style (non d20) Deadlands uses different dice, depending on how good your stat is (and a very high stat would use a d12).

Not really a "d12 system", though.

oriong
2007-02-19, 12:33 PM
Awww, what's not to love about pokethulhu?

hmmm,

Everlasting uses a d12

several systems I know use 2d6 to generate numbers rather than a d12, but that's not what you're looking for.

I imagine the reason you see so few d12 systems is the same reason you see so many d6 and d10 systems: rarity.

d6's are by far the most commonly available dice to anyone since you can buy a pack of nine for less than 5 bucks at a grocery store. d10's are the next most common since there are twice as many d10s in a pack of dice than any other, and d20's work mostly because of the long history D+D has of using them. They also have a large enough range of random numbers to to work without rolling multiple dice (most d6 and d10 based systems use several dice per person).

d12 is a large enough range that it could probably work with 'single dice' play, but it's relatively uncommon so most people just find it easier going with 2d6 (not the same random set of course).

JellyPooga
2007-02-19, 12:43 PM
Games Workshops' 'Advanced Heroquest' uses d12 as its primary dice, but that's more of a board game than a roleplaying game. Only one I know of.

Arceliar
2007-02-19, 02:15 PM
You could always make a d12 system:
1) Take the d20 sysytem
2) Any time a 10 shows up (ac, save throw bases, bases on skill check DC's) change it to a 6
3) Roll a d12 instead of a d20
4) ???
5) Profit

Yakk
2007-02-19, 02:16 PM
You can take 1d20 mechanics and turn them into 2d12 mechanics.

4 or less is an auto-fail and/or a 1.

Natural 21 or higher is an auto-success and/or a 20.

Players end up rolling a touch higher, and the success curves are more curvy.

PirateMonk
2007-02-19, 03:44 PM
Awww, what's not to love about pokethulhu?

hmmm,

Everlasting uses a d12

several systems I know use 2d6 to generate numbers rather than a d12, but that's not what you're looking for.

I imagine the reason you see so few d12 systems is the same reason you see so many d6 and d10 systems: rarity.

d6's are by far the most commonly available dice to anyone since you can buy a pack of nine for less than 5 bucks at a grocery store. d10's are the next most common since there are twice as many d10s in a pack of dice than any other, and d20's work mostly because of the long history D+D has of using them. They also have a large enough range of random numbers to to work without rolling multiple dice (most d6 and d10 based systems use several dice per person).

d12 is a large enough range that it could probably work with 'single dice' play, but it's relatively uncommon so most people just find it easier going with 2d6 (not the same random set of course).

I was actually thinking a 2D12 system, for a flattish bell curve.

As for rarity, the hypothetical company that designs this game can produce D12s.

You can take 1d20 mechanics and turn them into 2d12 mechanics.

4 or less is an auto-fail and/or a 1.

Natural 21 or higher is an auto-success and/or a 20.

Players end up rolling a touch higher, and the success curves are more curvy.

But I don't want D20 mechanics...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-19, 04:49 PM
Why, the Order of the Stick Adventure Game, of course! Uses a d12 + Modifiers for almost everything.

Yakk
2007-02-19, 05:04 PM
Then I don't understand.

Do you just want to use d12 dice? If so, most system's core RNG can be hacked into using d12. Vampire, Epic, D&D -- the changes required are pretty minor.

If you just want an interesting and different system, how exactly does the dice that are used in the system important?

As noted, there are many systems that contain the use of a d12. Do you want a system that only uses d12s?

Here is a quick one:
Each player makes a character. Characters consist of one PRIMARY trait (worth +5) and two SECONDARY traits (worth +2). Traits are descriptions of the character -- like "Stealthy Killer Ninja" or "Scholarly Bookworm".

Every character has 5 d12s to start with. The GM starts out with 2 d12 per player.

By default, story control is in the hands of the Game Master. He describes what happens. Sometimes he asks you what your reaction is and what you want to do, but the Game Master dictates results.

You can veto the GM's narration. This GM can let you veto, or can dispute the veto.

If you can work a PRIMARY or SECONDARY trait into the veto, you add the trait modifier.

The GM rolls 1d12 and the Player rolls 1d12+TRAIT. Whoever wins gives 1d12 to the loser. If the GM wins, that Player cannot attempt to veto for the next minute of narration. The GM can veto the player's veto by putting up another die.

Viola. d12 based narrativist game. It relies on mature players, but it could work. ;)

oriong
2007-02-19, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'm a little confused by this request. It seems oddly specific, but very general at the same time.

Why do you want a d12 system? Do you just have a bunch of them lying around? Enamored of the shape?

If all you care about is getting a game system then it's really not that hard (as has been pointed out), but if you care about more than just what dice the mechanics use you might want to clarify the question.

For example, PDQ is a system that uses 2d6 for a 2-12 range. It has abilities that range from -2 to +6, and it's a simple 'roll high' system. It's difficulty numbers are based off variations from the average by the same numbers, i.e. the easiest is 5 (7 - 2), the average roll is 7 (7 + 0) and the hardest is 13 ( 7 + 6)

This could easily be modified to a d12 where the average simply becomes 13 rather than 7. The broader range of numbers would mean more extreme results are more common but that isn't inherently a bad thing.

arnoldrew
2007-02-19, 05:33 PM
Poor little neglected d12. Glad to see it has a thread of its own.

Cybren
2007-02-19, 06:02 PM
I made a wargame and originally designed it for d12s but i used d6s instead since i have a lot more of them.

Subotei
2007-02-19, 06:15 PM
Well, D12 are my favorite dice, too. But the facts are the facts. Who's up for linking them to the "Unloved d12" comic? Nobody really uses d12 for anything.

Got to agree - but unless you've got a great-axe wielding barbarian around they sit in the box gathering dust. If only the greatsword did 1D12 rather than 2D6 then it would get some action!

Neek
2007-02-19, 06:18 PM
D12's the Jean Reno of dice; sure, might be a badarse like Chuck Norris, but hardly ever noticed... :(

It'd be interested to create a unique system using the honey-comb sided polyhedron.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-20, 09:45 AM
I'm scared. Should I be scared?
Scared? No. ITS FRICKIN' AWESOME. I must play this with my group now

Siberys
2007-02-20, 09:52 AM
Yes. Yes there is. (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/bostonia/frameset.html)

It's more properly called 'Runebearer', but is also known as 'd12'.

I didn't make it, but I've been meaning to make some homebrew splatbooks for it...

BabbageCliolog
2007-02-23, 01:04 AM
Are there any of these on the market?

You could use GURPS with 3D12 (http://gurpsnet.sjgames.com/Archive/Rules/3d12GURPS.txt). :smallbiggrin: It's been around for a while. :smallsigh:

/BC