PDA

View Full Version : Spell of "Ring of Spell-Battle"

Max Caysey
2014-06-03, 05:13 AM
Hi... in relations to a post about how the evade disjunction I have thought up thins little spell.

PEACH away please. Thank you!

The Battlespell
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Personal
Area: 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels
Duration: 1 round/ 2 levels
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No
When this spell is cast a translucent, slightly shimmering globe of magical energy expands from the caster. Within the area of effect the spell allows the caster to manipulate magical energy. The spell informs you of all spellcasting that occurs within the spell area as well as allowing you to attempt a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level) to identify the spell being cast (even if you can’t see its casting or effect). This is a continuous effect and requires no activation. Secondly the spell allows the caster to redirect spells entering the area. This requires a successful casterlevel check, against the enemy spellcaster.

Bring it...

Erik Vale
2014-06-03, 06:30 AM
The Second effect should cause the spell to discharge/end... Otherwise that gets persisted and becomes known as 'Spell Immunity, Actual', assuming you boost your CL high enough.

jedipotter
2014-06-05, 06:32 PM
To roll a check to know what spells are cast with in 25-50 feet....ok that is fine. Though for the most part spellcasters can already do that.

Redirect spells? There is a reason lots of this 2E stuff was no updated.... So, does the caster need to identify the spell to redirect it? What type of action is the spell redirect? Does the redirected spell have to be redirected at a valid target or can you shoot the spell ''off the the left''? Does the redirected spell still have all the normal effects, like a save? Does it use the casters BaB? How many spells can be redirected a round?

Hanuman
2014-06-05, 06:45 PM
"I put on my battle ring of ring of spell battle. It's enchanted with the spell ring of spell battle and it's engraved with elvish letters which spell battle ring of ring of spell battle."

Debihuman
2014-06-07, 07:35 AM
There is already a ring of spell-battle. It is a magic item from Magic of Faerun page 147. It is based on the following spells: detect magic, dispel magic and spell turning.

Debby

NeoSeraphi
2014-06-09, 08:49 PM
There is already a ring of spell-battle. It is a magic item from Magic of Faerun page 147. It is based on the following spells: detect magic, dispel magic and spell turning.

Debby

Magic of Faerun is A) a campaign-specific book and B) a 3.0 sourcebook. Neither of those are very commonly permitted in most 3.5 games, though of course it varies by DM. Makes sense that Max Caysey would want a 3.5 version.

The duration is really short for a 9th level spell. The spell redirecting for no cost is odd and it has a strangely high power ratio, in that you could abuse it if you were fighting an enemy hoarde of casters, but otherwise the power is pretty invisible, and the benefit is largely either that first cheese bonus or just allowing you to use your immediate actions for other spellcasting (mostly defensive).

This kind of stacking is rarely allowed, and free actions are not something to be dished out lightly. I'd increase the duration of the spell to 1 round per level, and require the spell redirecting effect to use an immediate action, limiting it to once per round. Part of being a powerful wizard is having the intelligence and insight required to make tough choices, and understanding when to act and when not to act. Trying to put a bunch of free power into the strongest class's spells is not going to help personify it in any way, and is only going to make the gap between the caster and his allies even wider for no real benefit on the caster's player's part.

Debihuman
2014-06-10, 06:53 PM
It's fairly simple to update 3.0 to 3.5 especially for magic items. Also, it's in the MIC page 127, so it has been updated to 3.5. I'd forgotten to check that book earlier.

How do you redirect spells coming at you. Can you redirect more than one at time? How far can you redirect a spell? Does the initial range of the spell have an effect?

Debby

Hanuman
2014-06-10, 09:14 PM
May be relevant http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/spell-duels

Debihuman
2014-06-11, 12:48 AM
Best wizard duel ever was in Disney's The Sword In The Stone when Merlin and Mad Madam Mim go at it. I always wanted to recreate something like that scene in a game. http://video.disney.com/watch/wizards-duel-4be36b86f6d55e5bc7f6b2d6

Debby