PDA

View Full Version : quick Persist query

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-03, 05:33 AM
Could a PC Persist Invisibility and/or similar spells?

eggynack
2014-06-03, 05:42 AM
For invisibility, it depends on whether you follow the interpretation that touch represents a fixed range. If it does, then victory is yours. You could also argue that invisibility does have a personal range, even if it also has a separate non-fixed range, meaning that it would work. You might need to be targeting yourself under that interpretation, however. For similar spells, it depends on the spell. For example, invisibility sphere, with its fixed 10 ft. radius, would work fine. Ultimately, there are limits at work here, but none of them are directly related to the concept of becoming invisible.

Firechanter
2014-06-03, 05:44 AM
Only if the spell has a Personal or fixed range (such as "60ft").
There's a bit of an argument over whether "Touch" is a fixed range or not. But Theoretical Optimization aside, I'm pretty sure Persist isn't supposed to be applicable to Touch.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-03, 06:09 AM
... Master of Many Forms Persisted Invisibility...
I need to figure out the build for this!

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-03, 06:26 AM
Hmmm, good point. Can't believe that I didn't catch it. Still great for spell casting though

Chronos
2014-06-03, 07:50 AM
Most spells still count as "attacks", for purposes of breaking invisibility. You can still cast healing spells, buffs, summons, and some battlefield control spells, though.

And if the idea is to use this with Master of Many Forms, you don't need an invisibility spell at all. Just turn into a Will-o-wisp or Invisible Stalker or some other naturally-invisible form.

Urpriest
2014-06-03, 10:02 AM
For invisibility, as long as you cast it on yourself, teh range is personal, so it's a valid spell for Persist. However, note that attacking will cause the spell to end, regardless of Persist.

Casting a spell on yourself doesn't make it Personal, any more than taking a feat as a Fighter makes it a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Nettlekid
2014-06-03, 10:07 AM
Well the range for the spell Invisibility does say "Personal or touch," so I would indeed support saying that using it on yourself is using the Range: Personal type of Invisibility, which ought to suffice for Persist purposes.

I hope you're using Greater Invisibility though, because Persisted or not Invisibility will still end when you attack.

Urpriest
2014-06-03, 10:10 AM
Well the range for the spell Invisibility does say "Personal or touch," so I would indeed support saying that using it on yourself is using the Range: Personal type of Invisibility, which ought to suffice for Persist purposes.

I hope you're using Greater Invisibility though, because Persisted or not Invisibility will still end when you attack.

Ah, that's true. Most touch spells don't have that extra bit, that does change matters.

Nettlekid
2014-06-03, 10:13 AM
Ah, that's true. Most touch spells don't have that extra bit, that does change matters.

Yeah, I had to double-check to make sure, because that is kind of a weird thing to add in. It seems unnecessary, since touch spells can be used on yourself anyway.