PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Fluff!

Xar Zarath
2014-06-03, 08:42 AM
Hey guys and gals...how do I fluff these particular aspects of the game?

School specialization and prohibited schools? (do I say that they neglected to study these schools etc)

Spell level (rather than call magic missile a 1st level spell, what else can I refer it to)
which brings us to...
spell slots (anyway I can phrase these differently rather than say slots in the mind for memorizing spells?)

epic magic/epic spells (how can I phrase these instead of referring to them as epic this, epic that?)

Thanks, any suggestions are appreciated!:smallredface:

kellbyb
2014-06-03, 09:12 AM
Let's just go down the list:

I like to say that specialization represents extensive research in one school of magic that allows you special insight with that school at the expense of learning the basic framework of two (or one, for diviners) other schools, preventing you from being able to cast them completely.

I imagine you could assign names to certain level ranges for spells. 0-levels are already defined as cantrips or orisons. A good place to start would be to call first-third level spells novice level, fourth-sixth journeyman/adept level, and seventh-ninth master/doctorate level.

I wouldn't assign a name to epic spells in general, just give them really, really cool names.

Psyren
2014-06-03, 09:25 AM
School specialization and prohibited schools? (do I say that they neglected to study these schools etc)

Yeah, it's basically neglect. Complete Mage page 8 has some text on it if you're interested in fluffing it more.
You can rationalize the inability to dump Divination as Divination being necessary for all wizard studies. (With Read Magic being Divination this isn't far off the mark.)

Spell level (rather than call magic missile a 1st level spell, what else can I refer it to)

I like "circles" as in "spell of the 1st circle." It's still arbitrary (and there's no real way around that, these are generally enforced by a deity or reality itself after all) but sounds a bit more poetic and less mathematical/sterile.

which brings us to...
spell slots (anyway I can phrase these differently rather than say slots in the mind for memorizing spells?)

Just call them spells. As in, "I prepared X spells of the 1st Circle this morning and cast Y of them."

epic magic/epic spells (how can I phrase these instead of referring to them as epic this, epic that?)

Lost Magic, Legendary Spells, Ancient Dweomers, anything similarly lofty.

NotScaryBats
2014-06-03, 09:30 AM
I couldn't find the article, but I read about a way to justify spell levels through the idea of valences, like the shells of electrons orbiting a nucleus. It's a sort of academic, scientific feel, but you'd fill your valences with memorized spells and then expend them.

Epic spells would be transvalent.

Xar Zarath
2014-06-04, 12:12 AM
I couldn't find the article, but I read about a way to justify spell levels through the idea of valences, like the shells of electrons orbiting a nucleus. It's a sort of academic, scientific feel, but you'd fill your valences with memorized spells and then expend them.

Epic spells would be transvalent.

This sounds good, I think this will do. Thanks a lot!:smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2014-06-04, 12:24 AM
I think all this terminology is meant to be used as-is in the game. After all, it offers no alternatives, and Magic Item Compendium has this little gem for us on page 5:

"My armor? +3 adamantine light fortification full plate. I wouldn't leave home without it."
—Tordek

Juntao112
2014-06-04, 12:32 AM

Honestly, wouldn't worry about it. We use "levels" to describe complicated real world physics phenomenon all the time.

Leviting
2014-06-04, 12:39 AM
Cantrips: Elementary, novice
1st: Apprentice
2nd: Standard
3rd: Advanced
4th: Journeyman
5th: Complex
6th: Adept
7th: Expert
8th: Resolute
9th: Master