PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Altering the Half-breed racials, and racials for sorcerers in general.

13ones
2014-06-03, 10:38 AM
So I'm tinkering with some builds and I know any Half-Humans get to pick and choose from Human and Elven/Orcish feats, racial, and favoured class bonuses. I'm just wondering what is needed to be substituted in order to pick them up.

For example Half-Orcs actually get skilled as a alternate racial ability in favour of giving up Darkvision, but what would they need to give up in order to get the bonus feat? And by that logic would a half-elf give up Low-light vision for skilled as well? Is there a handy primer on this?

Basically I'm trying to play an Evocation sorcerer but I'm trying not to go with the bog standard human. I find them kind of boring. Drows, Half-breeds, and Tieflings are my current race choices for this Sorcerer build. Input, as always, is more than welcome.

grarrrg
2014-06-03, 09:45 PM
So I'm tinkering with some builds and I know any Half-Humans get to pick and choose from Human and Elven/Orcish feats, racial, and favoured class bonuses. I'm just wondering what is needed to be substituted in order to pick them up.

For example Half-Orcs actually get skilled as a alternate racial ability in favour of giving up Darkvision, but what would they need to give up in order to get the bonus feat? And by that logic would a half-elf give up Low-light vision for skilled as well? Is there a handy primer on this?

You can only trade racial features that are listed.
Half-Orc Darkvision for Skilled is pretty much the ONLY one that Paizo has actually made. Anything else is homebrew.
If you can get your DM to go for it, hooray, but as listed, there is no 'exchange rate'.

EDIT: There's the Adopted Trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/adopted), which lets you grab pretty much any Race Trait ever

13ones
2014-06-04, 11:00 AM
I thought because of this recent errata that was no longer the case:

Can a half-elf select human racial favored class options?

Yes. Half-elves and half-orcs may select racial favored class options, archetypes, traits, and so on, as if they were a full member of both races (a half-elf can select elf and human rules elements, a half-orc can select human and orc rules elements).

Yanisa
2014-06-04, 11:34 AM
EDIT: There's the Adopted Trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/adopted), which lets you grab pretty much any Race Trait ever
Don't confuse Race Traits with (Alternate) Racial Traits.

Besides that, getting Alternate Racial Trait are locked to Races, much like Archetypes are locked to Classes.

The most RAW way to homebrew it is with Race Points, using the Advance Race Guide Building options... but that instantly fails as Skilled is 4 RP, where as Dark Vision is 2 RP, so half-orcs gain RP from getting the Skilled Alternate Racial Trait. You can sort of justify it by saying that orcs have 8 RP, and 10ish seems to be the norm for PC races, so they are at minus 2, but still what should be the handy primer is mostly an arbitrary mess for the existing races. It can still work a bit...

Here a couple of Race Point based homebrew suggestions
Half-elf could swap Adaptability (2 RP) + Multitalented (2RP) for the flexible Bonus feat humans get (4RP). With a fluff idea of that they are more like humans, more options but also more focused.
They could also swap low-light vision (1 RP) + Keen Senses (2 RP) For skilled (4 RP). With the fluff idea that they are a bit more dull sensed like human, but get that human curiously to train more.

Half-orcs could swap Orc Ferocity (2 RP) + Intimidating (2 RP) for the flexible Bonus feat humans get (4RP). With the fluff idea that they are less aggressive, and thus more suitable for a wider array of training.

Very Rough, but maybe you can work with it, if your DM allows it.

Otherwise, does your DM allow alternate Tiefling races? Certain types of Tieflings get +2 charisma and all Tieflings have that racial ability that allows them to counts their charisma 2 higher for the Infernal and Abyssal bloodlines. That means you basically can start with 22 Charisma, nice for a Sorcerer that triggers a lot of saves. Just a cheesy suggestion to get your mind of that bonus feat. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2014-06-04, 12:55 PM
I thought because of this recent errata that was no longer the case:

"Half-elves and half-orcs may select racial favored class options, archetypes, traits, and so on"
It's referring to 'normal' Traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-traits) (of the 'mini-feat' variety), some of which have a Race requirement.

Don't confuse Race Traits with (Alternate) Racial Traits.

I did say "pretty much any" :smalltongue::smallwink: