PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Endocist-- Synthesist Summoner as a PrC (3.5)

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-03, 01:29 PM
Endocist

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/ftl/ftl94_boar.jpg

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks
Feats: ???
Special: The character must have made peaceful contact with an outsider.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Evolution Points
Max Attacks

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Fusion, Eidolon (1st)

2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Detect Outsider

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Two Minds

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Evolution Surge (Short)

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Eidolon (2nd)

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Evolution Surge (Medium)

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Two Minds

8th
+6
+6
+2
+6
Evolution Surge (Long)

9th
+6
+6
+3
+6
Dimensional Contacts

10th
+7
+7
+3
+7
Rapid Fusion, Eidolon (3rd), Continued Progression

Fusion (Su)— An Endocist can summon the essence of one of his Eidolons (see below) and merge with it, essentially become a single physical being. Doing so requires a ritual taking one minute and assorted ritual components, such as can be produced from a standard spell component pouch. Dismissing an Eidolon is a free action.

The Endocist retains all of his ability scores, physical and mental; however, he gains the benefits of all of his Eidolon’s Evolutions, including Ability Increase. When making Strength-, Dexterity-, or Constitution-based skill checks, use either the Endocist’s skill ranks or those of his Eidolon, whichever number is higher. Otherwise, this ability functions as the Alternate Form special ability.

While the Endocist and his Eidolon are one being physically, they are separate mentally. The Eidolon retains its own mind and mental ability scores when fused with its master, and the two may communicate telepathically. In addition, it may speak on its own, although its voice is noticeably different from its master's. The Eidolon may make Intelligence-, Wisdom- and Charisma-based ability and skill checks independently of its master. Any effects affecting the master’s Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma also affect the Eidolon’s.

While present, the Eidolon is treated as an Outsider (Native). Despite being a summoned creature, its connection to the Endocist allows it to bypass barriers such as protection from evil or magic circle against evil, as well as granting it immunity to magics such as banishment or dismissal.

At 5th level, and again at 10th level, an Endocist may contact one additional Eidolon. He may not fuse with a second Eidolon if he is already fused with the one.

Eidolon— An Endocist forms a link with powerful spirits, known as an Eidolons. Eidolons count as having the same number of hit dice, and the same base attack bonus and base save bonuses as the Endocist.

An Eidolon's mind and body are continually evolving as its master channels more life and power into it. At first level, an Eidolon has an Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma score of 10, with an additional 2 points to distribute among those three ability scores. Additionally, he begins play with 4+Int mod skill points per hit die, times four at first level. His list of class skills is the same as the Endocists, plus six additional skills of your choice.

Each time the Endocist gains an Endocist level, his Eidolon gains a +1 bonus to one of those three Ability scores, and an additional 4+Int Mod skill points.

The true power of the Eidolon, however, lies in his Evolution Pool. Points from this pool can be spent on a wide variety of modifications and upgrades that add new abilities, attacks, and powers to the Eidolon, known as Evolutions. The pool begins with 2 points in it. Whenever the Endocist gains a level, the number in this pool increases by 2 and the Endocist can spend these points to change the abilities of the Eidolon. Additionally, he may re-assign a number of Evolution Points equal to his Endocist level; however, this total applies across all Eidolons he can contact, rather than being per Eidolon.

The list of Evolutions may be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons). The Endocist counts as a Summoner of twice his Endocist level when it comes to qualifying for Evolutions.

An Endocist may only have a certain number of natural attacks, as shown on the table above. If the eidolon is at its maximum, it cannot take evolutions that grant additional natural attacks. This does not include attacks made with weapons.

Finally, Eidolons are not entirely blank slates. When first contacted, Eidolons may take one of the following three shapes: Biped, Quadraped, or Serpentine. Eidolons of each shape begin play with ten Evolution Points worth of free Evolutions, as described below:

Biped: Ability Increase (Strength) x2, Claws, Improved Natural Armor, Limbs (Arms), Limbs (Legs)
Quadruped: Ability Increase (Constitution), Ability Increase (Dexterity) , Bite, Improved Natural Armor, Limbs (Legs) x2
Serpentine: Ability Increase (Dexterity) x2, Bite, Climb, Reach (Bite), Improved Natural Armor, Tail, Tail Slap

At 5th level, and again at 10th level, an Endocist may contact one additional Eidolon. These Eidolons are just as powerful as the first, with the same number of Evolution points, skill points, and mental ability boosts. They may be distributed differently, however.

Detect Outsider (Su)— Beginning at 2nd level, an Endocist may detect the presence of Outsiders. This ability functions similarly to a Detect Undead spell, except that it targets Outsiders instead of Undead, and it is always active. An Endocist cannot be stunned by an overwhelming aura.

Two Minds (Su)— Beginning at 3rd level, when fused with an Eidolon, an Endocist may roll two Will Saves— one using his Wisdom modifier, and one using his Eidolon’s— and take the better result.

Evolution Surge (Su)— Beginning at 4th level, an Endocist may take a standard action to grant one of his Eidolons an additional 2 Evolution Points, which must be immediately spent on one or more Evolutions. Multiple uses of this ability on the same Eidolon don't stack, and the duration immedietly ends of the Eidolon is dismissed. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Beginning at 6th level, he may spend two daily uses of this ability to have the granted points last for one hour. Beginning at 8th level, he may spend four daily uses of this ability to have the granted points last for twenty-four hours.

At 6th level, this ability improves to grant Evolution Surge as a spell-like ability, and at 8th level, to Greater Evolution Surge.

Absorb Outsider (Su)— Beginning at 7th level, an Endocist can absorb power from spirits other than his chosen Eidolons. Whenever he damages an Outsider or summoned creature with a natural weapon, he regains a number of hit points equal to his Endocist level.

If he reduces an Outsider (but not a summoned creature) to zero hit points or fewer, he may choose to utterly destroy it, such that only a deity's direct intervention may restore it. If he does so, he regains a number of hit points equal to his Endocist level times his Charisma modifier, and benefits as though a greater restoration spell was cast on him.

Dimensional Contacts (Sp)— An Endocist meets many spirits over the course of his career, though he only partners with a few. Beginning at 9th level, an Endocist may contact his extraplanar associates for advice. This ability functions as a Contact Other Plane spell, with a caster level equal to twice his Endocist level. He may use this ability once per day.

Rapid Fusion (Su)— Beginning at 10th level, an Endocist may summon his Eidolons as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Continued Progression—After 10th level, an Eidolon continues to gain 4+Int Mod skill ranks with every level its master gains. In addition, the Endocist now qualifies for the Continued Evolution feat (Below)

New Feats:
Continued Evolution
Prerequisite: Continued Progression class feature
Benefit: Your Eidolons gain 2 new Evolution Points, and you may re-assign up to 10 Evolution Points (across all Eidolons).
Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-06, 05:34 PM
Any feedback? I'm a bit concerned about balance (synthesist summoners are fairly OP, but this guy gets a less powerful beast and none of the outside magic), but I'm really concerned about the language. Perhaps I should have lifted directly from the PFSRD, but there were enough differences...

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-08, 09:32 PM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? I assume the latter. Otherwise, this looks pretty nice.

Amnoriath
2014-06-08, 09:33 PM
I don't think you have to worry about balance. Instead of giving the Eidolon hit points here it is much more like a customizable polymorph spell from Pathfinder which is a very nice touch. This eliminated life link+healing x shenanigans which actually made them the best at tanking while still being x, y, z plus cheap summons. Then giving them a couple more schemas helped them diversify. However there are a couple of critiques I have.
1. I think this may function more like a base class rather than a PrC. While this does allow for mundanes to have some Polymorph coolness they will come in hopefully having a decent strategy at level 5 only having to think, "Wait, will the form I choose both with what I start and how I advance it interfere with what I have already? As such do I make my future feat and gear choices to accommodate my current strategy or my eidolon form?" PrC's should add to current strategies and not put them in a position to possibly lose them. I think you should give them some degree of being able to pick to retain some of their body and maybe a couple of bonus feats.
2. The Serpent form should have a decent dexterity increase.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-09, 09:57 PM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? I assume the latter. Otherwise, this looks pretty nice.
3.5, as written, although as usual there's no practical difference.

1. I think this may function more like a base class rather than a PrC. While this does allow for mundanes to have some Polymorph coolness they will come in hopefully having a decent strategy at level 5 only having to think, "Wait, will the form I choose both with what I start and how I advance it interfere with what I have already? As such do I make my future feat and gear choices to accommodate my current strategy or my eidolon form?" PrC's should add to current strategies and not put them in a position to possibly lose them. I think you should give them some degree of being able to pick to retain some of their body and maybe a couple of bonus feats.
Mmm... perhaps.

2. The Serpent form should have a decent dexterity increase.
Yeah, probably. I can drop the Reach and... what do you think, Climb or Imp. NA?

Amnoriath
2014-06-10, 10:08 AM
Yeah, probably. I can drop the Reach and... what do you think, Climb or Imp. NA?
Improved Natural Armor, dexterity can compensate for it. I would keep climb because having no limbs are a major drawback without the proper evolutions.