PDA

View Full Version : Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved as a splatbook

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-19, 06:33 PM
Has any one used it like that?

My friend and I are making a homebrewed campaign setting and we find that we are going to use several things from this book (hold the lawyers, Monte, we are only taking stuff from the Open Content sections)

Basically, we are planning on using the Magister class (and the associated spells from the book) as a replacement for the Wizard and Sorcerer, plus a modified Totem Warrior as a Ranger/Druid replacement.

The Cleric is going to be straight out of the PHB, but several "buff self only" spells will be outlawed, and the deities will be quite strict when it comes to "acting on the best interests of the deity in mind"

So that way, our world gets a sane arcane caster, and the divine magic excesses will be kept in check.

--

Plus the book has a lot of interesting feats, spells and magic items... Any comments?

clockwork warrior
2007-02-19, 07:06 PM
never played arcana evolved, but i play the older version arcana unearthed, and i love it.

personaly, i love how the magister class works, as well as the spell casting system.
know that using the magister instead of a wizard/sorcerer will only make a good class better. i would not suggest giving them the wiz/sorc spell list.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-19, 07:28 PM
never played arcana evolved, but i play the older version arcana unearthed, and i love it.

I have both versions, the new one is basically the same, with some minor fixes and the addition of a lot of stuff about the setting. It also has one new race.

personaly, i love how the magister class works, as well as the spell casting system.
know that using the magister instead of a wizard/sorcerer will only make a good class better. i would not suggest giving them the wiz/sorc spell list.

Oh no, I am importing the magister, along with the full list of spells available for the magister in AE, and none of the "standard" Wiz/Sorc spells.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-19, 07:42 PM
dupe post, sorry

Dragonmuncher
2007-02-19, 08:30 PM
How does the magister work differently than wizards and sorcs?

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-19, 09:03 PM
How does the magister work differently than wizards and sorcs?

The game uses a "semi-vancian" magic system that, while still deals with spell slots and levels, allows the caster to "prepare" his spells once, and then use any of the prepared spells of the same level in any combination until he "prepares again", cleaning the slate and changing the spell's selection. They also get an extra feat at first level and d6 hit die.

On the other hand, the whole collection of spell is slightly weaker overall, and many of the "broken" spells are changed or are simply absent.

Example from the book's section on conversions:

For example, the core rules spell fly allows a creature to fly and move at speed 90 (speed 60 in the revised rules). The Arcana Evolved spell flight, at the same level, allows a creature to fly at its normal speed or 30, whichever is less.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-19, 09:37 PM
The game uses a "semi-vancian" magic system that, while still deals with spell slots and levels, allows the caster to "prepare" his spells once, and then use any of the prepared spells of the same level in any combination until he "prepares again", cleaning the slate and changing the spell's selection. They also get an extra feat at first level and d6 hit die.

On the other hand, the whole collection of spell is slightly weaker overall, and many of the "broken" spells are changed or are simply absent.

Example from the book's section on conversions:besides more balanced spells, the Arcana Unearthed spell casting system is a lot more flexible, what with heightened/diminished versions of spells, added template feats, and spell weaving

Toliudar
2007-02-19, 10:27 PM
I've just started a PBP campaign (as a player) in which I'll be playing a greenbond, and the rest of the characters are all playing "regular" classes. I'm interested to see the different spellcasting styles flow together - she's supposed to be a somewhat exotic character, so I'm hoping that this "splat-book" type of use will be appropriate.

Since you're replacing three of the four spellcasting classes in core rules altogether, I'm curious as to how you'll deal with core spellcasters from other splats (Warmage, Favoured Soul, etc), some of which more closely approximate the Arcana Evolved classes.

I love the flavour of AU classes and races, but the spellcasting choices are definitely a bit weaker. There are a lot of interesting feats in AU, and with small changes in skills, I prefer Monte's version to core. I think that dipping into AE could be a great way to spice up a campaign, but it will mean that you have two very different magic systems running simultaneously.

Incidentally, are you then also looking at adding in options for the expanded armour options? Might make the Warmains a lot more fun than regular fighters.

ambu
2007-02-20, 03:18 AM
I would dare say that compared with Arcana Evolved, DnD is the splatbook.
1) The spell system is balanced yet very very fun. Yes I know that seems imossible but it is. Magisters raw power and "save or..." spells for versatility. Any single spell can be augmented, diminished and/or templated.
2) Magic item creation is based on the spell to be used (that is every spell says how much it costs to make it permanent, single use etc etc)
3) There are many gish classes balanced and distinctive in the main book.
4) No alignments

and a lot more. Seriously, if someone reads Arcana Evolved he is immediately struck with the idea that this is how D20 should be.

Ebonwoulfe
2007-02-20, 11:04 AM
You might want to try just dropping the DnD part and playing pure Arcana Evolved. You said yourself that the book has interesting stuff.

selfcritical
2007-02-20, 12:20 PM
I probably wouldn't mix the spellcasting classes. AE spellcasting is very well balanced but generally weaker than straight DnD spellcasting. Melee classes should mix fine.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-20, 09:08 PM
Since you're replacing three of the four spellcasting classes in core rules altogether, I'm curious as to how you'll deal with core spellcasters from other splats (Warmage, Favoured Soul, etc), some of which more closely approximate the Arcana Evolved classes.

As of right now, have a pretty restricted list of classes, so no Warmage or Favoured Soul.

As of right now we are allowing:

From Core:
Barbarian
Cleric (with several "banned" spells)
Fighter
Monk
Rogue

From Arcana Evolved:
Magister
Mage Blade
Ritual Warrior
Unfettered

From XPH
Psion
Psychic Warrior
Soulknife

Plus we are in the process of homebrewing three classes:

The Shaman (this one works)
A Shamanic-style Ranger, similar to AE's Totem Warrior
A modified Bard

...it will mean that you have two very different magic systems running simultaneously.

Yes that is intentional... The world we are creating had no arcane magic until recently (due to extradimensional refugees bringing it). All magic in this world was either Divine (Clerics) Animistic (Shamans) and Psychic.

If we finish it some time this century I will tell you more about it in the Homebrew section.

silentknight
2007-02-22, 02:12 PM
I like AE alot. I have been working on prestige classes for D&D using spells or combat rites from AE as class abilities. I have also thought about making a low magic game (closer to LotR, where only wizards have spells) and giving fighters and rangers combat rites. Yeah, being able to modify any spell on the fly to a weaker or stronger form is really cool.