PDA

View Full Version : Aztec gods

the humanity
2014-06-03, 02:57 PM
So, in my campaign right now I'm using Aztec gods as filler for a mish mash 9 god pantheon whose power on the plane stems from their fight against a worldslaying lovecraftian monster. However, the two gods, Huitzlpochtli and Quetzlcoatl I can't find anywhere. Have they ever been part of DnD?

sideswipe
2014-06-03, 03:01 PM
what do they do? use the closet equivalent and call it a one of those two.

hamishspence
2014-06-03, 03:02 PM
The Maztica series (Forgotten Realms) had a pantheon very loosely based on the Aztec one.

Qotal I think was the Quetzalcoatl equivalent.

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 03:04 PM
You might want to look at the Maztican pantheon (I think that's how it's spelled...) from FR (i think)

Dragon 352/4/6/8 all had info on aztec mythos (that's the name of the column)
And the Maztica campaign setting is (was) free for download from the WotC site

The FR books might have info

ArqArturo
2014-06-03, 03:19 PM
Aside from fluff, or in the D&D game in general?.

Remember that Huitzilopotchli was not only a War deity, he also protected women in labor, and the sun. In the case of Quetzalcoatl, he is a god of wind, merchants, dawn, crafts and knowledge. There was also an Emperor called Quetzalcoatl that forbade (or rather, limited) human sacrifice, and brought knowledge to the people.

So, In my opinion:

Huitzilopotchli: Lawful Neutral, favored weapon: Longsword, domains: Law, War, Sun, Healing.

Quetzalcoatl: Lawful Good, favored weapon: Quarterstaff, domains: Law, Good, Knowledge, Wind.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-03, 04:04 PM
Surely Huitzilopotchli has macahuitl as his favored weapon.

VoxRationis
2014-06-03, 04:09 PM
I believe the Aztec gods were listed in the Deities & Demigods book. I know they were listed in the AD&D version, and they may have been carried into the 3rd edition one as well.

If you're forced to make them from scratch, you may be in for a problem when it comes to setting alignments; the baseline D&D alignment assumes that "human sacrifice" is the mark of evil deities, and if you apply that to the Aztec pantheon, it's going to be really hard to play a good cleric (pace Quetzalcoatl).

BWR
2014-06-03, 04:24 PM
I believe the Aztec gods were listed in the Deities & Demigods book. I know they were listed in the AD&D version, and they may have been carried into the 3rd edition one as well.

Not the 3.0 one. I think the last time they got any treatment in D&D was 1e.

But this (http://www.gatorgamesstore.com/servlet/the-7279/Aztecs-Empire-of-the/Detail)might be of interest.

the humanity
2014-06-03, 04:40 PM
I intend to make Quetzlcoatl a god of yuan ti, lizardfolk, some elves, and kobolds, serving the purpose of merciful flashy good god for anyone who enjoys the Aztec theme but doesn't want to cut hearts out. Huitzlpochtli exists to provide a reason for why goblinoids are so aggressive- by capturing and sacrificing enemies they allow the sun to rise.

Other than that, I'm running the red hand of doom with a lead in to the reawakening of the lovecraftian entity. My pcs are currently uneasy allies with a very angry worg npc who loves his hummingbird themed war god quite a bit. Other important gods in the campaign are Tiamat, Kossuth, Kord, Artemis, and Nerull.

the humanity
2014-06-03, 04:45 PM
To solve the problem, I currently have Quetzlcoatl being fudged into being a god with much less love for sacrificing the unwilling, only gaining powers from those who die for him by their own hand, and letting Huitzlpochtli being evil with a job.

Thanks to everyone! There's a lot of good feedback.

ArqArturo
2014-06-03, 04:48 PM

If you're forced to make them from scratch, you may be in for a problem when it comes to setting alignments; the baseline D&D alignment assumes that "human sacrifice" is the mark of evil deities, and if you apply that to the Aztec pantheon, it's going to be really hard to play a good cleric (pace Quetzalcoatl).

Historian mode, ACTIVATE!

The reason behind the sacrifice was that the Aztecs believed that they were maintaining the livelihood of the gods through their blood. Every certain days (each 52, if I recall), they turned on the other city-states to start The Flower Wars, in order to get captives to kill. Failing that, the sun would not rise, turning the land cold and man would die, but another cycle would be made (again, this is from what I recall).

Historian mode, DEACTIVATE!

Perhaps you could say that the world was remade, and the gods have deemed that other measures could be taken to keep the Sun shining.

nedz
2014-06-03, 04:49 PM
Huitzilopochtlli (DR356 p091)
Quetzalcoatl (DR352 p097)

Slipperychicken
2014-06-03, 08:05 PM
You know what could be boss? The sacrifices are actually made to the worldslayer beast. The logic is to keep it so overfed that it can't put up a fight.

Huitzilopotchli: Lawful Neutral, favored weapon: Longsword, domains: Law, War, Sun, Healing.

Quetzalcoatl: Lawful Good, favored weapon: Quarterstaff, domains: Law, Good, Knowledge, Wind.

Aztecs didn't have swords. They would probably use one of those wooden paddles covered with sharp rocks instead.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-03, 08:23 PM
Aztecs didn't have swords. They would probably use one of those wooden paddles covered with sharp rocks instead.

It's called a macahuitl. :smallwink:

Kuulvheysoon
2014-06-03, 09:18 PM
You know what could be boss? The sacrifices are actually made to the worldslayer beast. The logic is to keep it so overfed that it can't put up a fight.Funny enough, that's pretty close to what they in the Realms; Dendar the Night Serpent eats people's nightmares, and that's(part of) what keeps her asleep. Lisa Smedman's House of Serpents trilogy deals some with the Night Serpent (as a secondary focus).