PDA

View Full Version : [PF] - Reign of Winter

auska89
2014-06-03, 03:44 PM
PART ONE: AN EARLY FROST

Our adventure begins near the village of Höden, a small village surrounding Duskwood Manor just north of the forests that line the Gray Wastes of Mistbarrow Isle. The air is crisp, and as you leave the ship to come ashore via a small boat, you can see small ice bergs floating alongside you. The manor along with the collection of houses that line the shore are all snow capped, and at every corner you can see a cauldron lit with flame, the people huddling about for warmth. Rinessa, Faedrath, Alexander, and Khaleesha all recall their odd circumstances which brought them here as the skiff rocks back and forth in the shallows and makes land on the snow dusted beach. From here Höden greets them with it's dreary gates.

Before they disembark, the skiff master speaks:
"Welcome to the sleepy village of Höden me traveling mates. This place has rarely seen so much excitement or concern as is these days. Hunters from the border woods used to speak of unnatural cold every so often, which is a bit ironic now considering that it's at the height of summer."

He scratches his rough gray beard a moment, "Aye, it all began just days ago. Another word from the hunters of a chill in the air, but this time was different. Heavy snow soon followed, and those hunters what that went out, only few had returned. Those who did spoke of an uneasy presence in the woods, as well as, dangerous predators not from these parts; and not the undead kind that we're used to recievin. Old Mother Theodora, claim dark times lie ahead, but all them witches are the same. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom. You've certainly picked a wretched time to come here, but here you go. I'd suggest warming up at Elmwood Tavern, good drink, good women."

With that he departs back to the ship.

Here you go, this adventure will take you all over the place (dimensions, worlds, time, etc.) So i figured i'll start you in Traumer and see what happens ^^

Alesterryku
2014-06-03, 04:46 PM
Faedrath: this is the height of summer? why do people bother to live here?
Rinnessa: oh quit whining, brother. you know how these humans are, they'll live anywhere if there's coin in it.
Alexander: Not just for coin, some people like nature as much as any elf. says defiently
carefull sister, i think you offended him faedrath says in jest
oh he knows I'm just teasing
all the while, the young catfolk Kaleesha stares hungrily at a barrel of fish. as she walks up and grabs one to eat, she is noticed by Alexander
Kaleesha, what do i say about stealing
caught in her "crime" she sheepishly puts the fish down
Kaleesha: not to... but no buts, if your hungry you can wait untill we get to the tavern
Kaleesha lets out a sigh ok... but as soon as alex returns to paying the captain for the trip she snatches up the fish and shoves it in her mouth
(her slight of hand(1d20+7(14) vs his perception(1D20+2(9) (i think thats how that works))

after finishing business at the dock the group heads to the tavern make arrangements for their stay and sit down at a table.
remind me again what we are doing here?
the guild received report of a disturbance here, they gave the contract to you. Myself and Kaleesha, as childish as she may be, have been in the guild for several years now. it is standard procedure for a veteran to accompany new members on their first assignment. two newbies, two veterans
that's all well and good but why are we here, in this town. why couldn't we get an easy job where its warm, like the lighting dessert back on dragon claw
come now brother, you said you wanted to travel.
no, i said i wanted to travel to fun and interesting places, that last part is important
believe me, the lightning dessert is neither...wheres Kaleesha
while the rest of the group was talking kaleesha got board and started wandering around, a pile of shiny coins catches her eyes. she creeps up to the men who are intent on their card game, and while everyone around the table is more interested in the rather large pile of coins on the table, kaleesha is focused on the coin bags on their belts. just as she is in position to cut the purse Kaleesha! the man turns ey! wot you on about kaleesha quickly hides her dagger and retreats to Alexander
come on Alex i almost had it
alexander just sighs (this undoubtedly is a common occurrence)
kaleesha's ears flatten and she makes a pouting face:smallfrown:
no kaleesha, that's not going to work this time
i was gonna put it back
put what back
kaleesha has a bad habit of taking things that aren't hers
she steals a lot?
nu'uh i rarely keep money, unless i need it
than whats the point of stealing?
that's not the point here...
'cus i can
just because you can doesn't mean you should... rinnessa help me out here
oh no... this is too fun to watch
alexander pinches the bridge of his nose
just...just sit where i can see you kaleesha
and with that, food has arived

auska89
2014-06-03, 07:49 PM
rinnessa +7 (26)
alex +2 (7)
kat +6 (8)
faedrath +2 (18)

As the group converses amongst themselves, Alexander and Khaleesha are busy fussing. Faedrath and Rinnessa on the other hand perk up as their elvish hearing begins picking up disturbing rumors.

"Oy, the weather aint spose to be like this, I have a farm to tend, how am i spose to feed me family!"
"Aye, bet this weather's got somethin ta do with them Vandreskans down south. Damned Vampire kin always meddling with magic in ways that mess up the natural order o' things."

"Whats that? Old man Dan is having some issues again?
"I know whats i be seein, someone is stealin most o' me crops, well the ones what havn't died from the snow already."
"Well when yours is the closest farm to borders of the forests you'd have to expect these things from time to time."
"Aye, dark places them. Only the Gray Sentinels go out there."
"But how am i spose to feed me family? or me cows?"

"Its a shame to hear about your son Samuel. I hope he gets better soon."
"I just don't understand the imagination of boys these days. First he says spots a talking white stag in the forest, then has gall to go chasing after this creature."
"Well at least he didn't die when he fell through the ice at Ivorstone Creek. He's lucky... You think there's any truth to what he said?"
"He's just a boy, Ben. Have you ever heard of talking albino stags?... no? didn't think so. I'll go check up on him later."

"Did you hear about that bandit attack a few days ago?"
"Shhh, no one here needs to know that the Lady Argentea was abducted!"
"I know, I know, I just find it odd that the Gray Sentinels were unable to protect her from mere bandits."
"...Yeah, i guess they aren't as elite as we all thought they were."
"makes you wonder if they can protect us at all. From bandits, from the forest, from what's beyond..."
"shhh"
"oh, sorry"

"Have you heard back from Dryden yet?"
"No, he's been gone a week now... you don't think..."
"He's a Sentinel, he can take care of himself. Truthfully i was a bit surprised when he stormed off to High Ridge to prove himself."
"Makes me feel guilty I didn't believe his Giant White Weasel story."
"Well it did sound a bit off, but we've been hearing stranger stuff these past few days"

"Ev'nen boys and girls", says a young half-elf girl, as she elegantly approaches the table her blonde curls bouncing delicately on her shoulders. She skillfully places a few bottles of ale, some glazed bread, wedge cheese, and fresh cod from the rivers on the table. "Courtesy of his lordship, Ion Teppen. He thanks you for making your way out here. We all do"

Hope you like the way i handled this, there was a lot of information to put down depending on how high you rolled... and your elves rolled well.

Alesterryku
2014-06-03, 08:44 PM
thank you miss, and where might we find lord Teppen?
as Alex chats up the waitress and Kaleesha eats the elf siblings have a conversation of their own

looks like this town is more fun than you thought brother.
I'll say. bandits, vampires, abductions, fun for all ages:smallwink:
(screwing with timelines a bit but this is after any conversation with the waitress)
we're not here to have fun
aren't you a spoil sport
come now brother, he has a point just look at the cat girl. she's the pinnacle professionalism
Kaleesha perks up Do what now?
Alex gives renessa a sour look
ok. ok. just kidding. but in all seriousness this town isn't as quiet as it may seem
she fills them in on all she heard, feardrath helping out as well.
that doesn't sound good
no, it doesnt. let us finish our food and meet with lord Teppen. maybe then we will get our bearings on whats going on here

just for clarity that last half is after any conversation with busty waitress. sorry to screw up the time line. I'll get the doctor right on it.:smalltongue:
also i decided to make Kaleesha 16 instead of 19. doesn't affect stats or any thing. just makes more sense.

auska89
2014-06-03, 09:13 PM
"His lordship can be found in Duskwood keep just down the road. He has also scribed a written pass for your group to move freely about the town and keep. If anyone harasses you, please present it to them." the waitress says as she preens her hair with her fingers a bit, admiring Alexander's proud demeanor. "If you need anything else, just ask for Lola". She says with a wink, bows deeply with the now empty platter in hand, and scampers off to another table, but not before leaving the rolled piece of parchment with a wax seal, the emblem of a raven on the table.

(some time skipage as well)

The group makes their way through the streets which are somewhat scarce of people due to the chill. Indeed everyone can feel the biting wind from off the coast, and the sting of the cold air. As they approach the keep they note two very miserable looking guards standing watch at the gates. A cauldron of fire between them to keep them warm. It doesn't seem to help much, judging by their expression. "ugh, you take this" one guard says to the other, "halt!, present your credentials and you may pass... uhhh who are you people?"

Alesterryku
2014-06-03, 09:30 PM
We, good sirs, are the from adventurer's guild from dragon claw island. we are here to talk to lord Teppen about recent troubles. you will find that our papers are in order.

yay time line is back in order. thanks doctor.:smalltongue:

auska89
2014-06-04, 08:52 AM
The guard rubs his shoulders a bit and examines the document, noting the seal. "Aye, seems in good order. You may pass, just dont try any funny business. Everyone's been on edge a bit recently". The signal is given, and the large imposing doors open revealing the barren courtyard beyond. He directs you to pass.

As you enter through the large stoned gates and into the courtyard proper, a waste of gray sediment; the inner walls lined with various supplys: hay for the animals, weapons and armor for the knights, and a cauldron by every guard post waiting to be lit when the position is occupied. Things are certainly different from what was described in the report. Duskwood is not the western temperate zone you'd originally expected, and it seems evident that this wintry weather is something the locals are not well prepared for, despite their attempt at adapting. After a moment, a brown haired and dapperly dressed young attendant comes out to greet the group. "Ah yes, you must be the requested group from Dragon Claw, your timing is impeccable. The council is currently hearing a report from one of our returned sentinels, i believe it might be of interest for you to hear."

I guess it bears mentioning, that at least on my map of Traumer, Dragon Claw is a North Western zone, not so far north as to get icy, but probably a climate like the US, where there are sections of the northern tip that get pretty cold, but it's mostly temperate, forests, a desert here and there. America really has just about every climate, which is probably why it's such a great place for dragons to live. The Mistbarrow Isle however is a bit more southern. Still forested, but the area usually hovers around 70-80 degrees (F). During summers it can jump up to around 90 and 100 degrees, and winters usually only go around 40 to 50, with the occasional drop to around 30 for a slight dusting (I'd think of Georgia climate, but you've never lived there...). Right now the climate is where the temperatures are a pretty steady 20 to 30. There is snow around but it's not super heavy. Most of the snowfall is around the forests. In fact the closer you get to the forests the more wintry it gets.

Alesterryku
2014-06-04, 11:29 AM
as they walk through the gate (before they meet the attendant) Alex looks around shocked and grasping the fact that there's snow (a bit of it from the sound of it) in the middle of summer
Alright, this cant be normal. where is this place again?
its actually south east of dragon claw. by all accounts it should be warmer
warmer? This place is freezing!

they meet the attendant

yes thank you. please lead the way

auska89
2014-06-05, 08:10 AM
The attendant leads you to the main hold, a large stone structure towards the back of the courtyard, nestled between two towers standing at least 50ft above you, and a good 30ft above the hold itself. When you enter, you are met with fine furnishings of all sorts. A plush red carpet draws it's way down the center isle to a set of double doors inlaid with gold, the sigil of the raven on them. To your sides you see all manner of stuffed creatures: bears, deer, wild cats, and at the front of it all, a large black dragon's head mounted above the door.

The attendant opens the door and you are witness to a council of 7. 3 well dressed nobles sit at either side of a tall dark man with shaggy black hair and a well trimmed goatee. He is dressed in black velvet, and atop his head is a crown of gold; his seat is far beyond the wealth of the other lords. Despite lord Teppen's presence; another individual standing alone in the middle of the room gains your attention. A large northman black, blue, and bloody from combat. His left hand and part of his face appear frostbitten, and he has been wrapped in bandages. Though the bleeding seems to have stopped, his injurys appear to be serious. Most serious of which seems to be a missing right arm.

"Mi'lords, I Yuln Oerstag bring you news of the Lady Argentea's abduction"

Teppen speaks, "You were chiefest amoung her Sentinels Oerstag, where is my daughter, and where is the rest of the caravan"

"She is taken Mi'lord. While on our return through the wood from Zimar, we were beset upon by bandits"

"You mean to tell me, the best armed and most well trained soldiers in all the Mistbarrow Isles were overcome by bandits?"

"They wern't normal bandits. Would that I could return the lady to you, and my ancestors would ridicule my lack of valor for fleeing an enemy rather than fighting to the end. But I faced enemies even the greatest warriors among the tribes of the Linnorm Kingdoms have faltered against, and though i think I slew a few before they dragged the lady away, as you can see from my injuries I was unable to pursue."

The council whispers amoungst themselves a moment.

"Are you the last of the guard?"
"Aye, the only survivor..."

"Who attacked you?""
"We thought they were just bandits at first-outlaws who hide like wolves in the forest. They were no match for us. But then came the cold fey of the north. They appeared among us and the battle turned quickly. My people speak of the winter-touched all the time, but I never expected to meet them this far south."

"What are the "winter-touched"?
"Fey creatures who have sworn themselves to the White Witches of Elvanna, Queen of the Always Winter. Those who stole our lands from us during the Winter Wars. Tiny sprites no taller than the length of a man's forearm. But don't be fooled by their small stature. Legends say they have taken a sliver of ice into their hearts, and their touch bears the harsh bite of winter."

"Where did they take Lady Argentea?"
"Into the forest, back through the ice and snow. Beyond that, I don't know. I followed as far as I could, but the winter-touched were too many and too hard to fend off in the snow alone. I barely escaped, and rode to seek help and reinforcements here."

"Why would they want Lady Argentea?"
"I don't know. But if one of the White Witches took her, no good shall come of it. The winter-touched do nothing without the leave of those who placed the ice in their hearts. If they're here, it's because a White Witch sent them. And much worse will follow."

Teppen sighs with a heavy heart, "That is all Oerstag, you are of no use to us right now in your condition. You may take your leave to the Apothacary and heal."

The Northman hobbles off, and after a moment, Lord Teppen, King of the Duskwood beckons the party forth.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 08:28 AM
the group approaches with Alexander at the head. when they approach lord teppen the group kneels

greetings Lord Teppen. I am Alexander, Paladin of the dragon god-king Bahamut, and these are my companions. we come from the Adventurer's Guild of the Shinning Empire of Dragon claw

a question comes to mind. how much of this is from the book? because that council meeting was great.

auska89
2014-06-05, 09:15 AM
"I recognize the sigil of your house Alexander. Long have the Gold, and the Silver of Dragon Claw come to the aid of the Mistbarrow Isles. I still remember when Rugarth the Silver single handedly laid waste to the seiging armies of the Lich Belia, and stopped the encroaching dead from clawing their way ever north. Truthfully though, when I had requested aid, it had been for this mystery weather, not some scandal of White Witches and adbuctions. I used to be an adventurer myself back in my youth, and I can see the events unfold in a most telling way. There is a touch of foul magic in the air. I can sense it."

He shifts uncomfortably, "I would, in light of recent events request that you bolster the defense of my house, and the Duskwood. Retrieve my daughter, and determine the source of this damned winter. Find out whoever this Winter Witch may be, why it orchestrated this disaster, why it stole my daughter, and bring me it's head. You will of course be compensated for your hard work."

His eyes move to the rest of the group.

"I dont believe the rest of you have been introduced. You of course know who I am"

Honestly, it's probly about half and half. I embellish a bit for the sake drama, setting, things i think would make it more interesting. Your group strikes me as a speacial request, and i like the idea that you are here for a purpose and not just stumbling into an adventure. This place is actually just supposed to be some hamlet, but i like a the idea of adding nobility into the mix. The northman is stated to be badly injured, and frostbitten, other than that, i figured i'd embellish a bit. The council's questions were supposed to be a one on one with Yuln, and the PC's but i liked the idea of the party being part of the scenery. Besides, you might not have asked all the right questions and gotten the goodies. You will still get a chance to talk with Yuln though.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 10:11 AM
the group steps up intern to formally introduce themselves

I am Rinessa of house Naebronel, sorceress from the elven city of Tyria'ros. and this is my brother...

Faedrath, also of house Naebronel, trained in the ways of the dragon shamen by Lord Silverwing himself

and I am Kaleesha...of...uh..

she's my adopted daughter

thats actually pretty cool.

auska89
2014-06-05, 10:40 AM
Teppan regards the group, you can see a look of approval on his worried brow. "Rinnessa, Faedrath, Kaleesha, and Alexander; good luck on your hunt. Make no waste of your time in this, the Lady Argentea's life may well depend on your haste. You may purchase any items you will require on your journey from our quartermaster, additionally he will supply you with fur for your journey. I imagine you will find yourselves somewhat out of your element as you approach the woods. You may speak with Yuln if you'd like further information on what you might find. He will probably know best, but keep it brief. He needs to recover. You will find him in the Apothecary being taken care of by Maester Safander."

Teppen and the council nod their heads in acknowledgement, and bid you leave.

I'm going for a kind of Jarl Balgruf of Whiterun for Teppen, a stern and hard man, but practical and cares about his subjects.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 11:25 AM
as the group exits the room Alex gives out orders to get prepared for the journey

Rinnessa, you and your brother are in charge of supplies. ropes, rations, if you think we need it, get it, but only what we can carry. kaleesha and I will talk to Yuln, I don't want any surprises.

backpack X4 8Gp 8Lbs
bedroll X4 4Sp 20Lbs
Flint & steel 1Gp --- Lbs
Travel rations X20 200Sp 20Lbs
waterskin X4 4Gp 16Lbs
rope, silk 10Gp 5Lbs
Medium tent X2 30Gp 60Lbs
Total: 53Gp, 204Sp 133Lbs

Alex and kaleesha make there way to the apothecary
Yuln, i need to know what we are up against. what are these "winter-touched"?

auska89
2014-06-05, 01:44 PM
Yuln winces in pain as Maester Safander removes some of the corrupted tissue.

"You lot are the group from Dragon Claw right?", he blinks a few times to focus his vision on Alexander, then on Kaleesha. "Odd pairing"

The hardy northman coughs into his hands a few times, and wipes the blood away from his beard.

"They be Fey creatures of the White Witches. Be aware, they are small, but lethal. The only proper way to deal with em is through a cold iron weapon, or burning fire. Both of these they fear."

Yuln looks hard at Alexander

"Ye seem to be a man of action... one i can trust", he notices the Great Maul strapped to Alexander's back. "I'm of no use to ye right now, but I lost the Lady Argentea so it's my responsibility to bring her back."

Yuln looks to where his right arm used to be almost angrily. "I'll loan ye my hammer Drobilka. Tis the only reason I was able to make it out o' there".

Yuln reaches over the table and pulls a large Maul about the size of the one Alexander is carrying. The stem is finely crafted from oaken wood, with a gnarled hand-like grip on a block of pale iron that comprises the head. The iron is inlaid with various runes that seem to shimmer and dance.

"She's Crusher in the common tongue, and effective at smashing the unnatural fairys o' my homeland. I'll be expectin my hammer back, along with the Lady if ye dont mind, so be quick about it. Best start in the forests due south o' here."

It's dangerous to go alone, take this! "Recieve a Mwk Cold Iron Great Club"
It's supposed to be a Sword, but in this case it could also make sense to be a hammer since he's a barbarian after all. They like to go with the smash smash.

Feel free to continue chatting him up

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 03:11 PM
thank you very much. i will bring her back, and a paladin always keeps his word

they head out of the apotocary to let him rest meeting up with rinnesa and faerdrath outside the quatermaster's shop(? office?)

thats a lot of stuff you got she says with a smile

dont make fun too soon little one. your carrying some of it
the smile fades from her face
dont worry, its not much. besides faedrath and i are going to carry the tents

says who
says me. and i'll hear nothing of it.

see what i mean when i say i can get a bit talky :smalltongue:

after they distribute the packs alex fills them in on the situation, and faedrath, taking that into account activates his energy sword aura (which FYI his totem energy would be fire)

i cant seem to find what masterwork does to a weapon. does it give +1 to attack?

auska89
2014-06-05, 03:43 PM
I'll take that as a "lets take a trip to the woods where all the bad stuff happened" :smallbiggrin:

As you leave the border of Höden, some of the townsfolk gather at your backs, you can hear some whispering and wondering whether or not this group will come back.

As you walk south along the frostbitten fields for a bit, you can see the damage this weather has done to the surrounding area. Where normally crops would be in full harvest, most are limp and dead. The apple orchards are barren with preserved fruit here and there, frozen like marbles on the grass. On the horizon, you can see the forest. The forest is different from the rest of the surrounding area though. Where the grass is frosted, and the dirt is hard from cold; the area just outside the forest is piled 6 inches high with snow as if a snow drift had piled it all there. As you get closer, the temperature drops as well. Where when in Höden it was around 30 degrees and you were moderatly comfortable in your furs, it now feels to be around 10 or 15, and the chill is uncomfortable.

You arrive at the edge of the forest. The wind is frigid inside, and your faces are red with the chill. You can almost hear whispers on the wind, almost voiceless in it's howling silence. There are signs of the carriage that had passed through just days before, but they are quite old and the snow has hidden it's direction masterfully.

(This is Hour 0; once you enter the forest and every hour you remain you must make a fort save with a +5 due to the furs, i'll give Kaleesha an extra +1 because she already has fur
Additionally i'll want you to make a survival check until you find the site. The snow is thick here, so movement is halved, and because of the wind and snowfall, your perception checks and ranged attacks are at -4. Every post you make while here should include a survival check and whatever RP you want to add in. Each check will represent an hour of searching.)

I stopped you at the entrance of the woods so you could RP some before going in. It's cold out there folks, i hope you brought some hot chocolate ;)

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 04:10 PM
Fort for hour0
alexander (1D20+9(16))
rinnesa (1D20+7(22))
Kalesha (1D20+7(17))
Faedrath (1D20+9(13))

survival for party
Alexander (1D20+1(19))
Rinnesa (1D20+1(12))
Kaleesha (1D20+0(3)
Faedrath (1D20+4(24))
(too bad skill checks dont crit :smallbiggrin:)

this is worse than i imagined. the snow here has to be 2 feet deep, at least

aye, that. Alright, here's the plan. we will walk in single file, Faedrath, your the strongest so you will be in front. then it will be kaleesha and rinnessa in the middle and i will be in back. all of you can see and hear better than me so keep your eyes and ears open
that almost sounded like you were in the military.
i was, in a sense, but stories can come later
kaleesha quietly complies to the orders, all mirth sapped out by the cold

the group pushes in to the snowbank each clearing the path for the next

auska89
2014-06-05, 06:45 PM
As you go deeper into the forest, the temperature grows noticeably colder. All are keeping well despite the gnawing cold with the exception of Faedrath. His elvish constitution is failing him, and as the minutes go by he can feel the cold numbing his entire body (take 6 nonlethal damage, :smalleek: rolled high...), he drifts to the side of the group and stumbles a bit, needing to catch his breath. As he kneels over, he find bits and pieces of a carriage and tattered pieces of clothing which lead you to the road where Lady Argentea's carriage had been attacked. When you step out from between a copse of trees you are greeted with a grisly sight. The road is littered with debris and the corpses of slain humans and horses. Two wolves note your arrival, and dart off into the woods carrying with them pieces of the deceased. A carriage stands in the roadway, its team of horses missing or cut free, while another overturned carriage lies sprawled and broken next to the tree line. To the south, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be a statue of ice. A snowy trail leads deeper into the forest.

I've sent you the map, now you have to explore the field, don't forget to let me know where everyone is located so i can place them on my map. In your post, include a fort save, and a perception roll for everyone.

Faedrath is suffering from Hypothermia. He is fatigued (Can't run, or charge, and -2 str/dex penalty) until he gets warmed up and cured of the non-lethal damage, if he continues to take the effects of the cold he will become frostbitten.

Feel free to RP his declining health due to the cold, it's dangerous in here :$

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 07:25 PM
Fort for hour 1
alexander (1D20+9(25))
rinnesa (1D20+7(23))
Kalesha (1D20+7(26))
Faedrath (1D20+9(14))(fort saves hate him :smallfrown:)

preception
alexander (1D20+2(12)-4(8))
rinnessa (1D20+7(27)-4(23))
Kaleesha (1D20+6(10)-4(6))
Faedrath (1D20+2(6)-4(2)) (your killing me smalls :smallmad:)

trudging through the snow on point really starts to take its toll on faedrath

this...bloody...cold...is going...to be the death of me
he says through chattering teeth and labored breath
a few yards later he trips over a root and falls face first into the so.

fae!
as they help faedrath up they see tatters of cloth
i think...we found... what we're looking for
alexander and Rinnessa help faedrath to his feet
lets not worry about that now
whats wrong with him?
hypothermia. its not that bad, but it's only going to get worse out here
anything i can do, to help?
yea make sure were alone here, im gong to break up peices of the coach for fire wood. but first...
cure light (1D8+1(3))

(assuming no baddies pop out alexander gets to work smashing parts of the wagon to make firewood)
character positions: alexander C5, faedrath C6 (leaning against the carriage), Rinnessa B6, Kaleesha E5 (completely failing as a spotter if the perception roll has anything to do with it)

auska89
2014-06-05, 08:19 PM
As Alexander begins smashing up some pieces of the carriage (A1 we will call it :P) he finds two young handmaidens who had been trapped inside. From what he can gather it seems that the two girls were locked in after the attack had ended and left to freeze to death. Between them is an open chest containing spare clothing and some gold pieces. (gain 3 courtier outfits and 90gp)

Rinessa's elvish hearing again comes to her aid as over the howling wind she can hear "sounds" emanating from further down the path east. Dull scratching and the occasional thump against frozen wood. Kaleesha being on point and closest to the source of the sound, hears and sees nothing except how cold it is... and snow, she finds lots of snow.

Faedrath seems to be succumbing to the cold rapidly, the red look of chill on his face is beginning to turn blue.
(take 5 more non-lethal damage, if he loses consciousness and fails another one, I'll have to give him frostbite)

For your next post, there is no need to roll fort. I'll need to know what your actions are and what piece of the map you are investigating. Still working towards hour 2, you've been out and about in the forest for about 1 1/2 ish hours by this point.
(forgot to mention, Cure light only heals lethal damage. to heal non-lethal you need a spell like lesser regenerate or some such. Your spell is not expended, He needs warmth and rest.)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Nonlethal-Damage Relevant info.)
(disregard last :P, Faedrath is currently at: 8/13 non-lethal damage. once he reaches his max hp, he goes staggered, then unconcious) (0/13 + 6 - 3 + 5 = +11 - 3 = +8 = 5 remaining)
(Also forgot to mention! On the bodies you see small needle looking protrusions made of ice.)

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 08:53 PM
*CRACK* the hammer weighs heavily into the frozen wood. breaking into the cabin of the wagon
*sigh*forgive me ladies but your cloths will make good tinder. [yelling]how's he doing rinnesa?
hurry he's getting worse!

hey Kaleesha i think i heard something ahead of you, be careful.

what? i didn't hear anything.
Just go check it out, i'm not leaving my brother.

too cold to argue Kaleesha heads toward the direction Rinnesa indicated

after a few more minutes of smashing, alexander makes a substantial pile of wood. using the torn garments from the corpses as tinder, as well as the the flint and steel, a fire is created. (that is unless that a roll is needed, my guess would be survival. so in that case 1d20+1 (14))

auska89
2014-06-05, 09:00 PM
Totally Meta information, but where is Kaleesha going? and what is she doing? (Is she investigating the other carriage is the question)
(Whenever she gets over there i'll give her another perception check)
There is movement and frantic noises from the inside. Sounds like nails digging at the wood.

Alexander is able to successfully build a decent fire. which seems to warm Faedrath a bit. (i'd only have you roll survival if you didnt have tools to make fire)(he will be hypothermic until all non-lethal dmg is gone though, but what i will do is reset the fort save difficulty. The DC goes up every hour without heat so it gets progressively harder.)

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 09:31 PM
kaleesha, not knowing exactly what, exactly, she is looking for meanders slowly to the other wagon. as she gets closer, her keen ears (finally) hear the frantic noises of the survivor

Alex! we go a survivor!

I'll be right there he yells. he then covers faedrath with a bed roll as a makeshift blanket (i knew i should have bought one) and heads over to Kaleesha

at this point Kaleesha and Alexander are at cart A2 (grid mark J5 and I5 respectively)

just a reminder, kaleesha does have sent. if that helps anything in the future. but seriously, how does someone with the same perception bonus as an elf fail so hard. and on that not how does someone whos totem dragon is MADE OF LAVA fail so hard at keeping warm

auska89
2014-06-05, 10:05 PM
Alexander and Kaleesha hearing the frantic noises, release the bolts to the cabin. This was a mistake as the survivors... are no longer alive. Two zombified handmaidens burst from the now open carriage and lunge onto the two unsuspecting heroes embracing them in a grapple, slobbering mouths snapping at their faces. "foooooooodddd"

Grapple CMB vs. Alexander = d20+4(14) = 18
Grapple CMB vs. Kaleesha = d20+4 (18) = 22

Roll init

Edit: zombies at I5 and J5 (Grapple moves you into the opponents square)

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 10:14 PM
AAAAAAAAHHH! NOT SURVIVORS! NOT SURVIVORS!

Rinnesa, help!

Rinnesa peaks around the overturned cart to see her comrades in trouble.

init
alexander 18
kaleesha 12
rinnesa 11
faedrath-indesposed

auska89
2014-06-05, 10:17 PM
Alexander: 18
Zombie 1: 14 (I5)
Kaleesha: 12
Rinessa: 11
Zombie 2: 9 (J5)
Faedrath: -
Alexander is up then, the zombie that's trying to eat his face.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 10:26 PM
Alexander tries to break free of the zombies grasp (CMD 1D20+3(13)

(my dice hate me today:smallannoyed:)

auska89
2014-06-05, 10:34 PM
Alexander struggles against the undead creature, but despite the fact that she was once a beautiful, young handmaiden, she now has a monstrous strength, and a hunger about her. She firmly grips Alexanders wrists pinning them against his chest as she nestles in close for a taste of paladin.
(CMB to deal damage: d20+4 (13) = 17; (bite 1d6+3 (8 damage) "fooooodddd"

Kaleesha is up.

On Alexander's next turn, i'll allow you to burn your smite in order to assist in getting out of the grapple. (DM ruling ATM) you would add Cha mod + level to grapple roll, and if you succeed, you will deal unarmed damage + 2x your level damage to the creature.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 10:42 PM
I dont want to be zombie food!
she says as she struggles fruitlessly against the unnatural strength of the zombie (grapple break 1D20+2(14))

Rinessa moves up to D5 and cast grease on Alex's zombie attacker

question: Faedrath is indisposed but not unconscious that means his energy blade aura is still up right?

auska89
2014-06-05, 11:08 PM
(I believe the way it works is you grease what you want to escape the grapple, so i'm gonna say that you grease up Alex. As per the PFSRD, he now has +10 to escape grapples, and his CMD to attack him in grapple is +10 so he has a CMD of 24 now :D isn't grease wonderful.) (Dragon Shamans in Medium form only have a radius of 30ft, i believe that reaches from C6 where Faedrath is over to I6, so i'll say the curve of the circle puts enough of alexander into the aura that he gains the +2 fire damage bonus)

As Rinessa finishes casting her spell, a large clear bubble of what one could only call "goop" appears behind Alex as he grapples his undead attacker. The goop pops, splattering slippery substances all over his arms, legs, chest, and everything else.
(If you've ever seen the movie striptease this ist he part where the cowboy says "what? you've never seen a man covered in vaseline before? i can feel it squishing in my boots.")

The zombie attached to Kaleesa struggles to taste cat flesh, but she struggles against her foe so violently (she's having a cat freak out moment because something is trying to eat her) that the Zombie can get nowhere near a spot to bite.

Edit: back to you Alex

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 11:18 PM
Alexander struggles to get free of his assailant, managing to wriggle out of its grasp thanks to the slippery substance (i believe that would move him to I4, which according to my estimate is half in the aura. DM's discretion on if i still get for partial coverage) he readies his weapon (if that is in my allotment of actions)

auska89
2014-06-05, 11:24 PM
The zombified handmaiden attempts to keep her grasp on Alexander, but the slippery coating allows him to easily slip away, his back finding the trunk of a tree.
The zombie's eyes are alight with hunger though, and she lunges for another bite of paladin flesh. This time though, Alexander has his wits about him, and bats the zombie's outreaching face away with his free hand as he readies Crusher for some payback.
zombie bite attack: d20+4 (10) (no food for you :D)

Kaleesha is up

Edit: you are outside the aura now. Zombie is in the square below Alex.

Alesterryku
2014-06-05, 11:31 PM
Kaleesha tries to break free but the zombie's grip is iron clad (1D20+2 (17))

renessa steps forward (to E5) and cast grease on Kaleesha to help out (go sorc)

yea thanks for setting that CMD break DC at 22 :smalltongue:

auska89
2014-06-05, 11:41 PM
(no no no no, Zombie CMD is only 14 bro :D, you've just been rolling super low)(Alex's CMD was 14 as well, but with the addition of grease he has 24 CMD to resist zombie grapples)(Kaleesha has a CMD of 15, which the Zombie didnt beat last round because he rolled a 3 which = 7 for him, so he just struggled fruitlessly against her)

Kaleesha's desperate struggle to free herself from the ravenous dead finally pays off. She finds herself at J4 right beside her Paladin keeper, a ravening creature glareing at her from J5.

(Rin's turn, then Zombie will attack Kaleesha with bite)

If Rin doesnt do anything to disrupt the Zombie...
Zombie bite attack: d20+4 (19)

as Kaleesha's back hits the tree trunk, the bloodshot eyed creature shoots forth grabbing her hand, then viciously digging it's teeth into her forearm dealing 7 damage.
"feeeeeeedddd"

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 12:05 AM
rinnesa used ember (it was super-effective (1d20 (18) dont know if theres any addition to that but it still hits) Dmg 1D3+1 (4)fire

after correcting an error in HP (IE i didnt caculate actual hp) no dude. 7 damage out of 9 hp isnt a bit on the forearm. thats a fricken neck bite

alexander swings his hammer with a mighty blow (1D20+5(25)) dmg (1D10+4(8)+(2 fire)

auska89
2014-06-06, 12:23 AM
(Rinessa's Ember spell is a ranged touch attack, this means she uses her BAB + dex which = d20+2 vs. Touch AC (thats 10 for the zombie), since you're firing a ranged attack into a melee situation, you get -4 on your attack roll, and since you're still in snowy land of awfulness :P you get another -4, which = d20-6. I think you still make it though. if you rolled a 16, i'll say the 10 hit, if you rolled an 18, then that definitley hit :D) (Also dragonfire ability has you dealing: lvl * Cha mod (which is 3) / 2; 1 * 3 = 3/2 = 1.5 round up = 2)

Rinessa points her finger toward the zombie biting and ripping at the poor catfolks neck. A small mote of fire appears, floats for a second and zooms like a bullet toward the creature, where it ignites in a wave of flame that covers the undead. (dm ruling, fire is dealing 2x dmg vs. zombies because dry dead skin = flammable...) The creature releases Kaleesha from it's grasp, and as the flames dissipate a now black skinned zombie growls at the sorcerer through charred lips bloodied teeth showing.

Alexander summons his strength, and blasts the zombie in the chest with his Maul (dealing a total of 3 damage... should've used a smite, zombie DR = 5/slashing)
(no crits unfortunately because undead are immune to crits)

Alexander's zombie does'nt look so phazed, Kaleesha's zombie on the other hand looks ready to fall apart.

Edit: i took off the fire damage because you are outside the aura range
Edit2: if i recall, you can negate the firing into melee thing either by taking the "Precise shot feat" or being within 10ft of the target.

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 09:36 AM
(i do believe its still zombie's turn)

auska89
2014-06-06, 09:48 AM
(whoops... uhhh hehe, um... attack?)

Zombie goes chomp chomp, but finds the taste of banded mail not to it's liking.
d20+4 (12)

I'm at my email, so for any questions or other points of contention, email me there. Also i still havn't gotten a reply about your opinion on wild shaping or dismemberment. reply to email questions please.

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 10:11 AM
rinnesa is going to hold her actions

kaleesha is going to pull out her sword, (which i think is the only thing she can do, but just in case 1D20+2(13) Dmg 1D6+2(7))

auska89
2014-06-06, 10:30 AM
(i'm torn... since drawing a blade while engaged in melee range provokes an AoO... so i'll leave it up to you.)

Zombie see's movement and on instinct lunges at a surprised Kalesha pinning her against the tree, and bites with a sickening crunch into her jugular.
bite attack: d20+4 (24), d6+3 (3) x2 = 6 damage; additionally every round she will bleed out 1 extra hp due to arterial blood loss.
(which i believe puts her into negatives)
So i believe every d6 i've rolles so far in this adventure has either landed on a 5 or a 6... i'm not killing Kaleesha here (rolled a 6), although she shouldve made a 5ft step back and THEN drawn her weapon. Be warned, you have gained DM mercy.

The zombie is too distracted by the sorcerer to notice the Catfolk draw her blade, it turns to attack but only meets a dagger in the face. and unceremoniously falls to the ground. (2 dmg puts it at 0 i believe :D)

Alexander is up.

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 10:57 AM
[danger and suspense option]
KALEESHA!

Alexander's hammer glows with holy fire [smite 1d20+5(20)+3cha (23) dmg 1D10+4(9)+1(10)*2vs undead (20)]

because the Kaleesha's zombie is no longer in melee rinnesa uses ember on that one [1D20+2(21) Dmg 1D3+1(4)]

auska89
2014-06-06, 11:08 AM
Kaleesha grasps at her wound, she would scream, but the only sound that's emitted is a gurlgling noise as blood bubbles at her mouth. She falls to her knees and then face down in the snow, the area around her head increasingly colored red.

In a righteous fury of light and fire, Alexander's hammer connects squarely with the Zombie's mid section. The force of the blow is enough to lift the creature off and ground and fly back into the carriage it had leapt from. It's form crumples into lifelessness, a giant scorch mark covering it's entire front.

On cue, as the first zombie falls, and the charred one towering over Kaleesha kneels to start it's feast another bullet of fire smashes into it's head, leaving nothing but a seared stump as the cooked zombie falls to the side lifeless.

(400xp for the encounter, divided by 4 = 100xp for everyone)(Kaleesha loses 2hp, from blood loss)

Edit: i'm fascinated by how difficult an encounter that turned out to be. Two lone zombies vs. a group of 4 should normally be almost a non-issue. But add in a surprise grapple and a few character mistakes and BAM deadly. Not to mention, Pathfinder's clever use of the weather to hamper the group's effectiveness. Lessons that could potentially be learned... dont draw weapons in melee range unless you have quick draw, the aura was 5ft to the left for Alex, just 5ft step to the left and make with the fire ;P. For Rinessa, if the group is all engaged in melee, try to get close and blast from that distance, it should help with the minuses (or get precise shot).

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 11:28 AM
Alexander rushes to Kaleesha's side

Come on Kat dont die on me now
cure light [1D8+1(8)]

does cure light bring you up to zero and then heal, or do i have to heal through the negative HP

auska89
2014-06-06, 12:20 PM
Alexander quickly places a glowing blue hand over Kaleesha's open throat. The blood begins to seep less quickly, the veins and muscles begin to grow and reattach to their proper place. Finally the wound closes with a missing patch of fur the only evidence that a bite had ever occured. She slowly opens her eyes and sees Alexander kneeling over her.

(what will you be doing now? There are still many features of the field:)
A. you've burned the A1 carriage to make fire (which i'll say is going to fuel for about 2 hours without more fuel.
B. you have the carriage the zombies came from (A2)
C. you have bodies everywhere most of which seem stripped of all things by the bandits and fey, with the exception of an elven sergent... well pieces of an elven sergant leaned up against the ice statue
D. of course you have the ice statue (A3)
E. you have the path that leads further south

(try to be specific in what you're doing, and give time frames. If you stay here for longer than two hours i'll need you to make a fort save for the cold, unless you burn the other carriage, which will net you 2 additional hours without added fuel)

(current time is Hour 2, yes the clock is still ticking... i wonder why :smallbiggrin:)

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 12:40 PM
Fort save
Rinnesa (20)

Alex and Kaleesha return to the fire to rest (which is why i didnt include their fort saves) rinnesa is going to look around for useful items and clues

that was horrible

its ok, your ok now. can you stand

i think so

thanks for the assist rinnesa. kaleesha and i need some rest, you look around see if you cant find anything useful

anything in particular?

i doubt you'll find tracks, but any sign of where they may have gone. dig through the snow if you have to. also, come over to the fire if the cold starts getting to you

all right, is the little one going to be ok?

kaleesha's made of stern stuff, she'll be alright. yell if you find anything

rinnesa gets about searching (1D20+7(12) :smallyuk:) (starting at A2, then checking out A3)(the search should last no more than a half an hour

i have to call shenanigans on the whole carriage burning for only 2 hours. the fuel i have on it now, sure but more fuel is only another couple hammer blows away. i could see the the entirety of carriage burning for 6-8 hours if not more

auska89
2014-06-06, 01:10 PM
Rinessa is unaffected by the cold. She goes to inspect the now empty carriage which still smells of death, but she can find nothing of interest (shame...), when she approaches the ice statue... to her horror she finds it's not a statue at all, but a Sentinel encased in ice, dismembered, and the words "DEATH TO THOSE WHO FOLLOW!" carved onto his forhead. While all the bodies on the ground have been stripped of their gear, the sergeant has been left untouched. He still wears a suit of breastplate, the emblem of Duskwood engraved on it's front, and his severed hand suspended in the ice still clutches his exquisitely crafted Elven curved blade. Rinessa can tell due to the excellent edge that it keeps despite the freezing process that the blade is forged by a master smith.
(you could almost say he was a master work-smith :smalltongue: ok... i'll stop...)

When Rinessa peers down the path leading south, she can make out clear tracks. It's evident the attackers made no attempt to conceal their escape.

fine fine, i'll allow an 8 hour burning :P, when you inevitably move out to go south, we will be on hour 3 (unless you wait until Faedrath is good to go. I think he still has some non-lethal on him. I hope you're tracking all that :P; i recall 6nl + 5nl then there was 3 healing applied. I believe he has 10hp so a max of 10nl can be acquired, you healed after the first so it went from 3 to 8 leaving him with 2 remaining until frostbite. He's been by the fire about an hour so far so he is at 7 out of 10nl.

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 01:34 PM
rinnesa relays what she found, and alexander decides that it would be better to wait untill they are at full strength in the intervening time alexander buries the dead as best he can and observes the froze sentinel. a swift swing of the hammer breaks the ice and he sets about burying him as well. (keeping the sword because it could come of us. but not the breast plate because, desecration of corpses and all that (plus we dont need it))

the digging and burial rights could very well take a couple of hours so
fort save
alexander hour 1 (25)
alexander hour 2 (15)

retuning to the fire

hey rinnesa, could this be of use to your brother?

I believe so its much more finely crafted than the one he's got

are you sure you didnt find anything in that other carriage

for the last time,i'm quite sure.

'cus you know, they sometimes have hidden...

look, im glad your alright, but if you could keep quiet for just a moment my brother could get some decent rest

if your that sure she missed something why dont you check it yourself

oh... i didnt think of that

is she always like this?

only when she's feeling well

if you'll allow it: kaleesha's perception on cart A2 (1d20+6 (20))

auska89
2014-06-06, 01:54 PM
(Edit: you cheeky phallus-waffle :P... i'll allow it ^^)(apparantly that's a bad word :P)

Kaleesha returns with a triumphant smirk on her face, carrying with her a finely decorated jewelery box which she had found hidden underneath the seats. Inside you find Lady Argentea's signet ring (a white-gold band with images of ravens perching on the trees), as well as a pair of earrings worth 25 gp (huh... earrings must go for about 25gp everywhere lol), a set of pearl-inlaid bracelets worth
90 gp, assorted gold and silver necklaces worth a total of 75gp, and one sapphire pendant worth 50 gp.

For Alexander's display of honor for the fallen, Bahamut grants him his 2 spells/day back.

After 7 hours of resting (enough to bring faedrath back to 0nl dmg) the group sets off in pursuit of the trail. After about an hour of walking (that snow is a real killer on speed :P, fort saves everyone Whee!), you enter deeper into the full expanse of the border woods, the trail passes through a small clearing among the taller trees before continuing uphill and out of sight. A large chest lays half- buried in the snow, apparently dropped or discarded by those who hastily passed this way.

(i'll need specific actions from everyone to ensure that the event either occurs or not) (currently at hour 11)

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 02:25 PM
fort save hour 11
Alexander (17)
rinnesa (22)
Kaleesha (25)
Faedrath (17)

well, looks like we're on the right track

i wonder whats inside

should we really stop for this? time is of the essence

at the same time yes yes

looks like your out voted fearless leader :smallamused:

we examine the chest (1d20+8 (22) disable device [if locked])

auska89
2014-06-06, 02:42 PM
(/face palm; half-buried treasure chest in the path of some evil rogueish bandits that previously left a zombie trap... seems legit, lets all go and open :D, you all sirs are suicidal adventurers.)

When the first one of the group gets next to the chest a rope is sprung from beneath the snow. there are snapping sounds all around, from up in the trees comes a large spiked log careening through the group. (the save vs. this trap is your ability to dodge it :P, it has +10 to atk...)
vs. Alexander: d20+10 (22); 1d8+3 (4)
vs. Kaleesha: d20+10 (29) (roll to confirm: d20+10 (15); 1d8+3 (9) her AC happens to be 15, so instead of making you roll high or low, i'll let it wash :P, she's suffered enough today.
vs. Rinessa: d20+10 (23); 1d8+3 (4)
vs. Faedrath: d20+10 (28); 1d8+3 (9)

(before you protest, let me quote your post: "we examine the chest")

In all the ruckus, the snow flying all over the place and wounded bodies flying this way and that, the chest you were examining flips over and opens displaying.... NOTHING!
But thankfully, the gods are not without their mercy, and if you look closely you can see the top of another chest right beneath. (i'll save you the trouble of detecting traps for that one, there are none, :P)

You sir, are silly :P

Also, i still want opinions on those emails i sent you about polymorping, and the severed limbs thing.
I feel i should give someone a phobia what with all the IED's lying around out here lol, also, because i want to, and because the weather is treacherous, if you carry a torch on you, i'll let Rinessa ember it so it'll provide an additional +2 fort save vs. weather. NO MORE HYPOTHERMIA DANGIT!

Alesterryku
2014-06-06, 03:26 PM
i dont understand... does that mean i make a reflex save? if so kaleesha (15), faedrath (14), alex (4 :smallmad:), rinnesa (8:smallfurious:)

that... was a bad idea

Ya think?:smallannoyed:

...hey weres the little one?
they look around and find kaleesha, unconscious (she only has 9hp...)

cure light (4)

you ok?
i think... i hurt all over
your just lucky curiosity didnt kill the cat. though not for lack of trying

faedrath checks out the box
aaaaaaand empty... of course. im begining to think it was a trap
hush up brother, now's not the time for your brand of humor
oh whats this, seems theres a false bottom that our "friends" over looked
he pries it open, while the others stand at a safe distance...just in case

after they examine the box they walk (read: limp) on down the trail
though i am considering marching back to town and sleeping this off like a bad hangover:smalltongue:

auska89
2014-06-06, 03:53 PM
With a full night’s rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night.
If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points.

Note: you only rested for 7, which was enough to remove the non-lethal damage

Looking through the posts i noticed from last encounter that:
- Rinnessa = unharmed (d6 HD + 2 con + 1 favored class bonus = 9hp)
took 4 dmg so shes at: 5hp
- Faedrath = unharmed (had non-lethal, but was gone by the time you all left)(d8 HD + 2 con + 1 fcb hp = 11)
took 9 damage so he's at: 2hp
- Alexander = wounded for 8 during the encounter and never healed. (d10 HD + 2 con + 1 fcb hp = 13)
with the addition of the 4 damage hes... at 1hp :P (he is feeling pretty jacked up)
- Kaleesha our death magnet = (d8 HD + 1 con + 1 fcb = 10hp sir), recieved 7 damage from the bite (at 3hp), then 6 dmg from the crit (-3), bled for 2, (-5), then healed for 8 (hp at 3)
in light of her 9 damage, she is reduced to -6, then healed for 4 which i'll say puts her at a stable 0, groggy but unable to continue until further healing/resting is assured.

(For the sake of both our sanity) It seems the bandits buried their spoils beneath the trapped chest. After digging up the other chest, the loot is plainly visible. The cache contains the answer to the mystery of where all the guard's looted equipment went, which includes five sets of leather armor, three sets of studded leather armor, a masterwork chain shirt, two light wooden shields, seven longswords, two spears, a masterwork dagger, and three light crossbows with a total of 25 bolts. (and FIVE GOLDEN RINGS! :smallbiggrin: ok seriously, i'll stop... :P no i wont...)

I'll throw in a few potions of lesser vigor, but with the side effect that everyone is sickened for the next 3 hours. Lesser vigor will heal everyone by 11 points. Sickened basically gives you -2 to all rolls. That stale potion stuff hit the spot, but damned if you didnt feel like crap afterwards. If you prefer not to take the potions, i dont think you really want to move forward... (WARNING: DM ALERT, a "chilling" encounter is in the near future, one that will "grip" your attention, and "carry" your imagination to places of challenge and valor.

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 09:23 AM
as they walk further they realize that their wounded bodies cant go much further. so they set up camp (fires, tents and all that), quaff the potions and settle down for the night (keeping one person on watch)
they wake up the next day rested and refreshed and ready to go. they continue down the path following the tracks

auska89
2014-06-09, 11:21 AM
Everyone makes it through the night warm and cozy, they recover 12 HP each. 11 for the potions and 1/character level for resting. Everyone has their spells back. And as you march on i'm going to assume that you are using the torches + furs to gain +7 fort saves vs. weather, Kaleesha with +8 due to natural fur.

It is currently hour 22 as you arrive on the next scene, so make a round of fort saves, and I want everyone to make a perception roll

The snow becomes increasingly deep in this part of the forest, where a windswept gully carves a path through a tree-covered ridge. A soft cascade of snow falls from an overhead branch, hissing softly as it strikes the ground. The tracks you follow lead south through a small rocky outcropping over a hill.

The snow here is really deep, so each bit of movement costs 20ft of speed per 5ft moved. Ex. Alexander has 20ft speed due to armor, so he can move 5ft per round. Note because of the snow, you cannot 5ft step here. Anyone with acrobatics of 5 or higher can move normally, but must make an acrobatics check of 10 every round to stay above the snow. Also note that you can't nat 1 fail a skill check, so Kaleesha (who is the only one who has acrobatics at all, is Legolas in this scene)
Unless someone in the group makes an awesome Perception check, whenever Kaleesha gets within 15ft (3 squares) of K9, she smells something scaly, and lizard like. Almost the same scent as the dragon's from back at Dragon Claw. She just knows the general direction of the smell, and can't pinpoint it. (for that she'd have to be within 5ft to my understanding)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 01:00 PM
Kaleesha 18
Rinnesa 16
Faedrath 26
Alexander 21
Kaleesha 25
Rinnesa 19
Faedrath 18
Alexander 12
I rolled but then i realized with an acrobat of +9, there is no way (save Dex wounds) that she can fail
Kaleesha (J12)
Faedrath (J13)
Alexander (J14)
Rinnesa (J15)
(assuming that everyone fails the perception check)
uh...guys? this is going to sound weird but i smell dragon
that's impossible, there are very few wild dragons this far from home
ignoring Faedrath's remarkwhat direction?
its hard to tell she sniffs the air again forward. its somewhere ahead of us. thats all i can tell
well let us hope its in the mood for conversation. otherwise we're in for a fight
well considering the terrain it limits the type...
yes but dont forget, brother. this is, or was, a temperate place so be ready for anything

they all ready their weapons

auska89
2014-06-09, 01:25 PM
So i think you might've mistook the direction you were coming from :P, there is a road on the north side of the map, and a bunch of rocks with a path on the south side of the map. You were suppose to be comming from the north down to the rocks, but i'll work with it.
As everyone halts at their position and readies their weapons. The snow begins to move, then what appears to be a long serpentine-esque creature with scales of white leaps from the snow with a hiss at K9. (you may now open the word doc to get a view of the creature, just imagine that it's scales are white)

Everyone roll Init (Since everyone readied their actions, i wont give it a surprise round)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 01:32 PM
ok i thought the road was a river, (plus you didnt specify direction) do you want me to stay where i was or do you want me to reposition on the road?

auska89
2014-06-09, 01:36 PM
(I'm going with your current position. Please roll init)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 01:56 PM
init
Kaleesha 22
Faedrath 9
Alexander 11
Rinnesa 18

Faedrath, what are we dealing with here
thats no dragon... proto-drake perhaps...
whatever it is it looks hungry

auska89
2014-06-09, 02:02 PM
Kaleesha 22
Rinnesa 18
Dragon 16
Alexander 11
Faedrath 9
Kaleesha is up, then Rinessa, then my turn :) (Because Dragon has not acted yet in init order, it is flat footed)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 02:28 PM
hate to do another post that has no actions but i need some specifics. most importantly is this a medium monster, or is it large. what is this thing

auska89
2014-06-09, 02:32 PM
My bad, it's a medium creature. I think i said it was in K9 (meaning it takes up a single 5ft square = medium) I'll be more specific next time. Also unless somone has knowledge nature, all they know is that it's a serpentine lizard thing (you should have a pic i sent you in a word doc). If they do have knowledge nature, i'll just give it to them that it's a Tatzlwyrm which is a feral relative of True Dragons. (it has Int 5)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 02:56 PM
thats... thats a Tatzlwyrm. but I thought they were extinct
apparently not. get ready

(if the rocks give any sinificant hight bonus kaleesha will move to K10 and attack)
Climb(if you need it) 1D20+14 (17)
Atk: 1d20+2 (12) Dmg: 1d6+2 (6)

Rinnesa moves to I14 and uses ember (which should be in range (range 25ft))
atk: 1d20+2 (15) Dmg: 1d3+1 (4)

auska89
2014-06-09, 03:15 PM
(We need to give that Cat weapon finesse or something :P, and due to firing into a melee engaged situation, the spell you fired took a -4 penalty, which totals out to -2 = 13. since it's vs touch attack and the creature is FF, guess what :P you hit!)

Kaleesha's rapier scrapes uselessly against the hard as packed ice scales of the beast. (I gave you a +1 for height, but you rolled to low to beat the nat armor)
thankfully Rinessa's bullet of fire splashes against the creature's face, the scales that take the flames are alight like the embers in a camp fire. (oddly enough... this creature does not have vulnerability to fire... huh, it takes the 5 fire dmg [your fire spells are +2 :P round up bro])

The tatzlwyrm glares hungrily at the nearby cat perched on the rocky outcropping. With a burst of snow all around it, the scaly creature lunges upward at Kaleesha (d20+5 (10)), thankfully catching nothing but air. It then leaps off the rocks and into the nearest tree latching onto a branch and coiling for it's next strike. the snow and leaves conceal the creature somewhat, only showing small sheens of it's ivory scales. (thing has a climb speed, so it auto climbs things pretty much, get ready for wolverine style leap attacks :D)(Note: concealment due to snowy brush = 20%, make your ranged attack roll along with a d100 roll, anything from 1-20 = miss due to concealment)

Next up: Alexander, Faedrath, Kaleesha, Rinessa, Dragon

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 03:31 PM
so is it in the tree line? did it stay where it was at? Details, bro. i need details.

auska89
2014-06-09, 03:36 PM
... what the crap why didnt i include that in my post.. :smalleek:
Currently at N10, yes it's still there, you can see glimmers of it through the brush. partial concealment yadda yadda. Dang what the heck lol (sorry bout the lack of details)

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 03:53 PM
kaleesha moves back to K12 And rinnesa moves to I13 everyone else holds their action

(this limited mobility and range suck. also i am beginning to see why you said everyone should have a ranged weapon)

auska89
2014-06-09, 04:36 PM
The white scaled wyrm leaps from the trees onto the rocks next to Kaleesha (L12) and attempts to grab her leg with it's jaws, but the nimble catfolk dances away from it's lethal teeth. (d20+7 (9))

WHY U NO LOVE ME!
Edit: charge means creature has -2 AC till his next turn

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 05:14 PM
alexander and faedrath are kind of useless in this fight :smallyuk:

Kaleesha uses "Behind you!" and then attacks with sneak attack (because i believe i can attack after a swift action)
1d20+2 (17) atk dmg: 1D6+2 (7) sneak atk dmg: 1d6+1 (3) total: 10

the reason i got confused was it implied FF attacks but didnt out right say it. quote "The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC" which would be a FF atk

Rinnesa uses ember again
1d20+2 (15) -4 for firing into melee (11) Dmg 1d3+2 (3)

question: according to the beastiary, the things touch AC is 12, but kaleesha just made it FF. does that extend past her attack (but not for the full round)?

auska89
2014-06-09, 05:38 PM
The dragon roars in pain as it snaps at an outstretched arm just to get stabbed in one of it's eyes. The creature in a frenzy grabs the poor Catfolk by the leg shaking her a few times and diving into the snow behind the rocks at M13 with Kaleesha in it's jaws.

The rocks on either side are about 5ish feat high, tall enough that it's moderatley difficult to climb up, but still climbable. the group sees Kaleesha fighting against the beast that just leapt out of the trees. She seems to be doing well for a bit, but is then grabbed and pulled out of sight on the other side of the rock.

(d20+5 (17) dmg: 1d6+3 (9) grab = grapple as free action, d20+9 (19), since it hasn't moved yet, grapple check to move target: d20+9 (16))

Answer to question 1, you are correct that FF gives you sneak attack, but if the entry said FF only, then everything else that denied dex wouldnt allow sneak attack. i believe you can also sneak attack a flanked foe.

Answer to question 2, when you feint against something, it's only FF against the creature feinting and only for the attack after the feint. Which i think i'll make a feat or something to make it for 1 round instead, that way you can feint and full attack. As for the ranged attack, i'd upped it's dex to 18 so it's touch AC is 14, before the touch AC was 12

Also, as the d6 gods will it, i believe last d6 i rolled was a 5, so it was time for another 6. I have no idea how this is occuring, espeacially since all these d6 rolls are made on a dice roller online... you got me :P, does Kaleesha have escape artist?

If you've been looking at the stat block, you'll notice it's bite does a d8, i'm changing it to d6 because d8+3 might be a bit much for your level. Also i'll hold on the rake unless i think i need to use it. He'll want to store you for later :smallamused:

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 05:55 PM
welp... she's unconscious...again :smallannoyed:

everyone else holds their action

heal check to stablize..5...:smallannoyed: i am not amused RNG gods

auska89
2014-06-09, 06:04 PM
(wow everyone just looks up and goes, "huh... well... that sucks" :P, how much HP does Kat have?, if it's 9hp then she's stable at 0. tactic idea though, big nasty monster? dont solo :D... unless you're sigurd)

The Icy Dragon sniffs Kaleesha a few times and nudges her to make sure she's out. Then covers her with some snow (refrigeration, the dragon way). The dragon begins the stalk about going for the next one. (stealth d20+16 (33) and disappears from your map.

(I'll have it take 3 turns to setup on the next one, my suggestion is to stay togeather and ready actions, especially to protect Rinessa who is the squishiest of the bunch. I'm curious what the rest of the PC's are thinking with Kaleesha mysteriously vanished and nothing but quiet wintry air to answer their questions)

Kaleesha is vaguely awake, but basically spent and out of juice. I think at 0hp you can crawl around sluggishly. You are Luke and this think is a... wampa was it?

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 06:12 PM
everyone readies action

i didnt RP this time because im getting sick of having my characters yell out kaleesha. also she was the only one doing anything because she was the only one who COULD do anything. thanks to waist deep snow, and the fact that no one has climb

auska89
2014-06-09, 06:21 PM
(alternately she could've stayed with the group. In a situation where noone can move quickly, you move at the speed of the slowest member with everyone to avoid getting picked off. Think raptors and the herd. The leaf eating protoceratops that goes out to smash those pesky raptors is the one that becomes food)

The dragon bursts from the snow in the trees to everyones west side and lands in I14 (which should be 1 square south of Rinessa) and tries to grab hold of the Elf sorcerer.
(d20+5 (24) d6+3 (8), grapple +9 (27), Already moved, so currently sitting in this square with Rinessa in his mouth.)

(you can't stop the attack with the readied actions, but your actions go off now, then you can have another round.)
(Edit: the reason you cant stop the attack is because noone could see the creature therefore they were all FF against it, but after it's turn their readied actions may go off, and they come back to their positions on the initiative roster. In this case i want them to have two rounds so do Alexander and Faedrath twice)

I almost want to fudge these rolls :( another 5 right after a 6..., the Dragon and Rinessa currently occupy the same square. Faedrath and Alexander are up

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 06:53 PM
(hears to hoping i dont hit my own)

Alexander attacks with resounding smite (which gets the fire damage from faedraths aura)
1D20+8 (25) Dmg 1D10+4 (7) (+2 fire)

faedrath swings with his weapon
1d20+4 (22) dmg 1D10+3 (8) (+2 fire)

also rinnesa is out too... you know just what to roll to bring my squishies down to exactly 0 :smallsigh:

auska89
2014-06-09, 07:03 PM
The wyrm grabs Rinessa by the side with enough force for her to lose conciousness, but before it can escape it is skewered to the ground by Faedrath's blade, and it's neck reduced to a pulp by a mighty swing of alexanders hammer... also it's on fire :smallbiggrin: (and releases Rinessa to the ground)

She is barely conscious, but can understand whats going on around her. Kaleesha should roll a fort save vs. refrigeration :smallamused: (it's getting cold under all that snow)

(Faedrath and Alexander roll perception to find your buried friend, DC20, if they dont make it, have Kaleesha roll another fort save until they do. this is the same fort save as vs. weather, but she doesnt have the torch so only +6 from all the fur)

600xp for the creature. Environmental hazards are beast at making encounters difficult. If you roll a really nice perception before/as you find Kaleesha, i might have something nice you can find as you dig in the snow. :smalltongue:

Alesterryku
2014-06-09, 07:29 PM
False: snow is actually a good insulator. therefore she is nice and toasty, warmed by her own body heat. and before you try to dispute it, ask this question "who lived in buffalo growing up and how lived in Georgia?:smallamused:

i have been rolling for 30 seconds trying to get to hit 20. and i finally hit 17 which hits 20 only if i wake rinnesa up to do it. ergo it take about 30 minutes to an hour to find her

after an excruciatingly long search Kaleesha is found and healed (7 on rinnesa 9 on kaleesha) and the go on their merry way

(rp-ing this would be another bout of "ow" so let us dispense with that and move along)
seriously why would the book have a Cr 2 as the second encounter. RotR didnt start throwing cr2 encounters untill after the glass works (granted tsuto was Cr3 but he was a boss. and i think you were already lvl 2 by then

auska89
2014-06-10, 07:55 AM
As you continue further south following the tracks you start noticing feathered bundles and strange fetishes hung from the lowest branches of the trees in this part of the forest, swaying and shifting in the wind. All are stuck through with small pins holding pieces of leather bound around them. You can hear voices in the trees, but there is nothing to be found. With a jerk one of fetishes falls to the ground at your feet. It appears to be a mishappen crow of some sort. You hear a faint buzzing sound followed by distorted voices.

"Oh what is this my little ones? Found some live birdies among the stupid black dead ones?"
"Aye, Aye, but these be big birdies arn't they Vos"
"Hehehe think we's should pin em up like the others eh Pym?"
"Yeah yeah, lets stick em up good!"

about 10ft in the air in front of the group appears dozens of tiny buzzing sprites (everyone make a will save)

"Ello's little birdies, where yer wings?" laughs one of the little creatures
"shove off it Shor... they just younglins, aint got no wings yet."

I'll let you RP if you'd like here, otherwise you can roll init and we can do a sprite fight. I said i wouldnt make the next encounter an ambush encounter, and the DC to notice these things hiding while they prick at the birds is Perception DC30... this adventure loves ambushes. For the record i believe you are on hour 23, a map and image of the sprites is incomming

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 08:23 AM
Kaleesha 20
rinnesa 23
faedrath 18
Alexander 17

the winter touched i presume he says as he readies his weapon
they're...smaller than i expected
yes but dont let size fool you little one, they can be just as dangerous
i dont know know what they mean by not having wings
as he says this the skin under his eyes cracks and chips, as if made of stone. and underneath, a deep orange glow emits from the thin cracks. the whites of his eyes take on the same orange glow and his red iris glows in kind, while his pupil changes shape into a slit. from his back smoke emits and soon after, lava. but the lava doesnt seem to burn, nor does it seem affected by gravity at all as it forms into the shape of out stretched wings. as the lava hardens you see the shape more clearly, and soon the entire wingspan repaced by sooty black rock-like skin that occasionally chips as they move.
the group, though obviously surprised (having never seen this before) returns their attention to the battle at hand
remind me to ask you about that

Kaleesha 19
rinnesa 17
Faedrath 8
Alexander 7

auska89
2014-06-10, 09:07 AM
Sprite 2 (Shor): 20
Kaleesha 19
rinnesa 17
Sprite 1 (Pym): 16
Faedrath 8
Alexander 7
Sprite 3 (Vos): 4

I still dont know where you are on the map but as i mentioned earlier, they are hovering about 10ft in front of you.

"At your service big one", bows one of the sprites, "tell us birdies, how will you handle the lot of us?" as the sprite gestures all about at the dancing lights
(which you saved against and so know that they are just arbitrary lights and not other sprites)
"NO!, NO WINGS!, HATES THE BIRDIES!" screams the furious sprite as Faedrath's wings sprout. "Blind the birdie and poke out its eyes i will". The sprite positions itself just out of distance of faedrath pointing towards the group it whirls it's hands and a shower of all manner of colors and lights rapidly flashing wash over the pary.
(color spray, roll will save all)

(Next up is Kaleesha and Rinessa)

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 09:48 AM
Kaleesha 12 J9
Faedrath 18 K11
Rinnesa 20 J11
Alexander 19 K10

i think you made them mad, brother
I am groing tired of everything trying to kill us (you and me both fae... you and me both)
quite right.
Ember 1d20+2 (22) 1D3+2 (4) (i will let you do crit cards, as i do for you)

Kaleesha fires her (magically materialized) arrow
1d20+3 23 (i swear im not fudging these rolls i literally just rolled 2 nat 20's in a row) dmg 1d8 (7) (i couldn't find if there were damage mods for bows) (remember these arrows are cold iron)

edit: rinnesa fires at sprite 3 while kaleesha at sprite 1

auska89
2014-06-10, 10:04 AM
As the colors fade away, Rinessa answer's their remark about her brother's wings and their intentions with a bullet of fire which takes off the head of one of the laughing sprites. It's burnt husk falls to the ground in a trail of smoke.

Kaleesha follows up with an arrow of cold iron which takes the other sprite by surprise, skewering the diminuative creature and pinning it to the nearest tree. "It burns... the iron... is..." the sprite goes limp.

The lights all fade away leaving only one sprite floating in the air, "Mer.. Mercy? Do not burn us, do not stab at us with the arrows", the sprite says as it curls up looking terrified.

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 10:07 AM
whats going on here, why have you attacked us.
alexander asks pointing his cold iron maul at the sprite

auska89
2014-06-10, 10:11 AM
"The large one asks, but there is no answer" the sprite says spitefully. "The wood is ours, you trespass and makes the master very very angry. Yes, have to get rid of thems we does", the sprite takes on an angry tone, "but you kills us, you comes in with fire and iron and kills us!"

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 10:21 AM
master? who's this master of yours

auska89
2014-06-10, 10:30 AM
"ooohh that reminds me, master be very mad if i not tell him you birds coming! gotta run!" the sprite whirls it's hands in the air causing a bunch of lights to appear in the sky seeming to be dozens of sprites (dancing lights again, make a will save to disbelieve and find the real one). All the lights dart off in different directions.
(anyone who makes the save (DC12) can make a ranged attack if they have a ranged weapon readied (meaning in hand) to try and hit the sprite on the way out if they want.)

That wasn't so bad :), although you kinda crit haxed 3/4ths of the group before anything occured. I was thinking of making Kaleesha fail the will save and go unconcious, but shes had such terrible luck so far. It was a wash and i rolled properly to have her conk out, but decided that the wash would pass the save. Also, as it turns out i dont need the map since the battle was kinda... instant...

Note: the sprites were supposed to snipe at you from hiding and and then do color spray shenanigans throughout the fight. So i went easy mode on you :), here's your nice encounter, get ready for the pain train ^^

Also, 200xp/sprite, so 600xp for the encounter

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 10:55 AM
aaaand its gone... well, looks like we lost the element of suprise
yes but, who were we trying to surprise.
im just glad i didnt get hurt... again
so flippant about almost dieing 3 times... you were right alexander she does recover quick
yes well let us not get over confident. i feel this is the least of it
let us continue i do believe we still have a princess to save

they continue down the path keeping an eye out for ambushes.

auska89
2014-06-10, 12:07 PM
As you continue along the path, you come across an arrow game trail that winds its way through the trees and undergrowth. Hoof prints mark the underlying snow, leading in both directions. The PC's recall that story about the talking white stag that one of the commoner's child had been talking about. as you crest a hill you are greeted with an icy creek running into a small pond. The air here is docile and crisp with only the smooth sound of the wind drifting across the landscape making any noise. Drinking at the mouth of the creek is in fact a large white stag which notices your group and turns to look in your direction. (because in RPGs all rumors are true ;P)

"May i help you? I hope you are not hunters." the stag speaks.

Hour 24; the creature is large sized.

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 12:24 PM
comming from a land where giant flying lizards not only exist, but rule their government. a talking stag is no so surprising, nevertheless the group is cautious as every living (and in one case unliving) creature they have met has tried to kill them.
we are no hunters. we only seek to end the unnatural winter that have plagued these lands. perhaps you may help us find the source?

auska89
2014-06-10, 12:51 PM
"The source? Now that is a mystery.", The stag cautiously approaches to get a better view of the group. "Do tell me if you would, what you know of the source of the chill that has befallen my forest. Also i do not know the names of my guests, may i ask"

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 01:30 PM
excuse me, I am Alexander and these are my companions, Kaleesha rinnesa and Faedrath. as for the source, we dont know much.
we encountered some frost sprites that reffered to someone, or something, that they view as their master other than that is rumor and hearsay

auska89
2014-06-10, 02:06 PM
"Frost sprites in the forest? now that is a problem. And more so if there is a master behind it all, you should keep on your guard." the stag pauses a moment, "You must be adventuerers of some sort, tell me more about yourselves. I shall give my blessing for your hunt against the fey, but i am very curious"

At that Alexander begins feeling a bit suspicious. Though noone else can tell any different, Alexander can barely pick up that the stags voice doesnt seem to be coming from the stag, but elsewhere I have been rolling bluff vs. the party's sense motive for each post and... well dang, the only person in your party with much sense motive to speak of is Alexander, and he finally rolled high/i rolled low enough to pick up on anything.

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 02:33 PM
well we're...
wait. you have us at a disadvantage. we told you our names. who are you

in hushed tones
whats wrong alex?
something seems off about him, i cant quite place it.

auska89
2014-06-10, 02:42 PM
"I am the warden of this forest of course", the stag says proudly. "I've wandered this wood since it's inception, truly the sight of it now is most heart-rending"
Alex aint buying it (to recover from spoiled bluff and retry gets a -10 i believe, and THAT you can manage :smallsmile:)

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 02:48 PM
hardly, considering that I don't think your the true warden
what are you talking about?
theirs something amiss here, his voice isnt coming from the body. you've got keen eyes and ears, see if you cant find the source of this trickery

Rinnesa's perception (26)

auska89
2014-06-10, 02:59 PM
Rinessa can't see anything, but she can hear a slight all-too-familiar buzzing sound from about 10ft above the stag where nothing seems to be visible.

"Fair enough, I suppose your names and the fact that you are here to stop the winter will have to suffice for the Masters", "Rane, Shor... kill them"

The stag's eyes turn from black to an icy blue a slight mist trailing off of them. It digs it's hooves into the ground and prepares to charge.

(roll init)

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 03:09 PM
the group readies their weapons
Kaleesha 19
Rinnesa 12
Faedrath 19 (kaleesha has higher dex)
Alexander 5

auska89
2014-06-10, 05:35 PM
Fawdren (the invisible sprite): 19 (+4 dex)
Kaleesha: 19
Faedrath: 19 (kaleesha has higher dex)
Rinnesa: 12
Alexander: 5
Shor
- (Your smeagol-esque friend from last encounter): 6 (holding action to go with Stag) - currently hidden (good luck finding him, perception DC too high)
Rane (the stag): 4

Stag at 15/16 G/H, by the water. You guys are approaching from the north eastern side of the map.
Shor (Sprite 2) is hidden
Fawdren (Sprite 1)(Also Shor's master) is invisible (gotta love invis)

I can let you know what Kaleesha can smell when you tell me where she is.

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 05:49 PM
they are all lined up (From talking with stag)
Faedrath 22F
Rinnesa 22G
Alexander 22H
Kaleesha 22I

auska89
2014-06-10, 06:00 PM
A disembodied voice comes from the Stags location, "You should lay down your weapons, the winter-touched might let you join us if you come peacefully"

Kaleesha and the group are up. (Edit: Kaleesha smells nothing, other than Stag)

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 06:21 PM
you hear that, they said we could join them. because that's what a magma dragon wants, snow
oh yes. haven't you heard brother? fire dragons love cold weather
dont get over confident...
oh i wouldnt dream of it:smallamused:

the group moves slowly toward the stag, unsure of what it can do (faedrath moves to 20G and holds further action and Alexander moves to 20H and likewise holds)
rinnesa follows in behind and fires of an ember (21G) d20+2 (13) d3+2 (5)

kaleesha moves out to the side and holds (20J)

(which way is the wind blowing?)

auska89
2014-06-10, 06:43 PM
A bullet of fire blasts across the stag's face, but despite the singed fur it seems well for ware.

The stag stamps its hooves into the ground and rushes Alexander, jabbing him with it's antlers in his chest. (d20+6 (19), 1d8+3 (4))
Simultaneously a buzzing sound appears north of the group and a thin needle of ice strikes Rinessa in the neck (d20+9 (27), 1d3-3 (1) + 1d6+1 (3))
(Rinessa should make a fort save)
Another needle of ice slides into faedrath's arm (d20+8 (17), 1 dmg) (make fort save) (everyone make a perception roll)

(You spot a blue sprite buzzing about at E23)
(The stag is now at G/H 17/18)

Edit: Wind is blowing from north to south

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 07:15 PM
rinnesa 21 (26 if fur coats are relevent)
Faedrath 12 (17 if fur coats are relevent)

Kaleesha 22
Faedrath 11
Rinnesa 22
Alexander 5

alexander 5ft step toward the stag (i believe that ffs does not incur an AoO) and give it everything they got (assuming Faedrath made his fort)

alexander
D20+5 (13) D10+4 (13)+2fire

(correct me if i am wrong but i do believe that you can use acrobat (3.5 tumble skill) to move through threatened squares without triggering AoO)
Kaleesha somersaults (acrobat D20+9 (23)) into 16H (which should be flanking because of alexander) and uses sneak attack
D20+2 (19) D6+2 (3):smallyuk: SA D6+1 (5) total (8)+2fire

Rinnesa fires ember at the blue sprite
D20+2 (12) D3+2 (5)

keep in mind then, if something moves to or through any position north of kaleesha, she should be able to smell them
if i didnt know better i would say the was a pretty productive round:smallsmile:

auska89
2014-06-10, 07:51 PM
The two sprites fly about together in unison as the stag goes down. "Rane!, you monsters!" (The sprite's buzz around 10ft out of range), the grey haired sprite disappears from your vision. The blue haired sprite, sends a icy needle at Kaleesha which she is able to deftly avoid. "Stupid fat cats!"

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 08:18 PM
Hey! im not fat
she then switches to her bow (she doesnt have quick draw so i dont think she can fire. but if she can (aimed at blue) D20+3 (20) D8 (4)+2fire (cold iron arrow))

(would i be able to use detect magic to locate invisible creatures?)
Rinnesa fires ember at the blue sprite
D20+2 (19) D3+2 (4)

Faedrath, shaking off the numbing sensation uses his wings to leap at the sprite (for purposes of attack lets call it a charge)
D20+4 (22) (elven curved blades crit on 18 :smallbiggrin:) D10+3 (9)

Alexander also swiches to his bow (once again, not sure if he can attack but if so D20+1 (14) D8 (5)+2fire (cold iron arrow))

auska89
2014-06-10, 08:45 PM
(for the crit you'd still need to roll to confirm if it isnt a 20. technically for all crit threats you need to confirm, i just like doing auto on 20s.)
After the arrow takes a wing off the blue haired sprite, and the flames from the aura ignite the diminutive creature, it still floats about haphazardly, charred and maimed. Rinessa's bullet of fire finishes the creature off as it turns to ash and blows away with the wind.

(I was going to have the other sprite try to sneak attack, but i think any creature with an int score would know that it's not going to get anywhere here. Fafein is going to flee)

Everyone hears a slight buzzing noise that slowly gets quieter and quieter. "You havn't seen the last of us you wretched beasts, i will have my vengence!"

(Gain 800xp)(Hour 25, you spent time conversing :P)(you seem to be having an easy time of things, i'm debating going back to my previous tactics :smallamused:)

Edit: for switching weapons without quick draw, it's a move action (that provokes) to put away or draw a weapon. Alternatley you can drop a weapon (free action), and use a move action to draw. If you have a BAB+1 or higher, then you can draw a weapon while moving somewhere (including a 5ft step). Drawing a weapon in a threatened zone still provokes, just not if you have quick draw (because it's more or less instant)

Alesterryku
2014-06-10, 09:06 PM
its like i said, so long as the very air isnt trying to kill me, the pain train cometh

why do i get the feeling that we haven't seen the last of that one
probably because it said "you haven't seen the last of me"
well... yea, what i meant was... never mind
enough. i hate to be the kill joy but these things arent working on their own accord
your right, sprites usually stick to their own forrest, and i'm willing to bet they're not from around here. lets gather what we can and move on
(Loot time :smallbiggrin:)

auska89
2014-06-12, 07:28 AM
From all the sprites thus far you find 3 diminuative shortswords (which may as well be sewing needles) and 3 diminuative short bows (a really really short bow :P). Additionally you find a total of 42gp.

As you continue unflappingly along the path ever deeper into the wood you come across what used to be a stream, though the waters have frozen over. A human-sized snowman stands in the middle of the trail before the iced over waters. A crude wooden sign leans against it and bears the words "Trespassers Turn Back"

Once the group gets within about 15ft of the snowman, it seemingly jolts to life "Can't you read? the sign says turn back! Now get lost!"
Spoilers ;)

Edit: awaiting your decisions for this scene before i add in anything else.

Alesterryku
2014-06-12, 09:42 AM
how odd... snow men?
well the sign says to go away, looks like we're in the right track
as they walk forward the snowmen com to life, startling them
how rude. and why should we listen to you
uh, faedrath, considering everything we've met so far has tried to kill us i don't think we should make fun of the snow men
what are you worried about, they're made of snow and they have no legs, lets continue
brother, she does have a point, let us not forget the lesson the chest gave us. we should be mindful of our surroundings
I agree, let us continue lets give them a wide berth. and be ready for anything

im learning :smallsmile:

auska89
2014-06-12, 10:02 AM
(I'm guessing from what you posted that you are going to go around the snowman by i'd say at least 15-30ft, so guess what happens...)
The group moves around the snowman who says nothing else. The group to continue along the trail must cross the frozen stream. As they near the edge of the other side (about 10ft from "shore") two more snowmen rise from the snow with down slanted eyes, nicked carrots for noses, and icecicle teeth.

"Not going to use the bridge that we worked so hard to trap?"
"Brother i dont think they appreciate the artfulness of our design"
"It was a really cool trap though"
"Well perhaps they can chill with us instead"
"Better than giving them the cold shoulder"
"heh, i suppose so. Hey you adventurers, yes you right there! freeze for a moment would you."

roll init (2 ice elementals), also everyone make a fort save (vs. weather) (the appearance of the snowmen causes a minor snow storm, -4 perception/ranged atk rolls)

Since i dont want to draw a Map, you are on an expanse of Ice (which used to be a river). the features of the terrain are:
1. River = 30ft wide, the group is located at the middle
2. There is a bridge that the other snowman was guarding, it is 30ft north of your position, the snowman 15th east of that (which means you are traveling south-west right now)
3. the two snowmen just rose from 15ft west of your position on the shore

any other terrain features that you feel you'd like to know about just ask and i'll probably add them in ad-hoc

and here i was hoping you'd take the sound burst trap, and fall under the ice :P

Edit: also since you are on ice, when/if you move make an acrobatics check or fall prone (DC 10, dont fudge these rolls :smallannoyed: integrity sir)
Edit2: not sure if it's annotated on your characters, but people with armor take a minus to str and dex skills (Armor check penalty), heavy armored folk should be hard pressed to move around
Edit3: instead of coordinates for this fight, tell me movement distance (in feet) and direction (north, south, etc.)

Alesterryku
2014-06-13, 08:48 AM
Kaleesha 14
Rinnesa 26
Faedrath 15
Alexander 19
Kaleesha 23
Rinnesa 15
Faedrath 6
Alexander 12

i would apreciate a map even if it a bad, the only time i didnt us a map was wen there was only one guy and/or close quarters. that being said, does this adventure have any maps in it, it seems like the only reason i ever got a map is because you found it online

auska89
2014-06-13, 09:21 AM
Kaleesha 23
Snowman 1: 20
Rinnesa 15
Alexander 12
Faedrath 6
Snowman 2: 5

The sudden blast of chilly air seems to take an effect on Kaleesha (take 3 non-lethal damage, and fatigued = -2 str/dex penalty, no charging. Lasts until NL dmg is healed).

Kaleesha is up.

Fine fine, i sent the map your way. And as for does this adventure have maps... truthfully the only ones i've seen thus far is this one, and the wagon one with the zombies. There is a larger scale map which shows the entire area, but i dont want you seeing that one just yet. (it has all the encounters listed on it)

Snowmen at F11 and F12, you guys crossing from around M9 or 10

Alesterryku
2014-06-13, 11:19 AM
Kaleesha starts shivering and decides to stay wit the group

since you already said we were out on the ice our positions are Faedrath I11 Alexander J11 Rinnesa J10 Kaleesha K10
also how steep is the bank of the river

auska89
2014-06-13, 01:12 PM
"No, no dont listen to my brother, hes so crass. Honestly, we're polar opposites", The snowman says as a ball of snow appears in its hand and he fires it at alexander
(ranged touch atk: d20+1 (14), 1d6 (3 cold), roll acrobatics (dc 10 or prone)

River bank is about 2ft up from the frozen water, with aproximatley 45 degree angle. so steep, but not high

Alesterryku
2014-06-16, 12:42 PM
the snowball hits alex right in the face and knocks him to the ice

rinnesa uses ember D20+2 (18) D3+2 (4 fire) (snowman 1)

alexander gets up (nat 20 on actobat)

Faedrath jumps to G13 (acrobat [Jump] d20+10 (27)

auska89
2014-06-16, 12:53 PM
(good use of getting past the ice with the jump, but i do believe Faedrath still has a standard action left to attack Snowman 2)

auska89
2014-06-16, 12:55 PM
(good use of getting past the ice with the jump, but i do believe Faedrath still has a standard action left to attack Snowman 2)(move to jump, standard action to....)

The bullet of fire splashes against the Puntacular snowman melting off his left side. He is not amused.

Alesterryku
2014-06-16, 01:40 PM
faedrath is holding his action (waiting for back up)

auska89
2014-06-16, 01:49 PM
"I see you wanted to get closer to me" the Elemental next says to Faedrath, his voice becoming watery. "but can you keep your footing?"

The snowman bursts into a splash of snowflakes and blue liquid that lands all about on Faedrath and the ground of his square which freezes instantly. (roll reflex)

(Kaleesha is up)

Alesterryku
2014-06-18, 03:27 PM
faedrath Reflex (8:smalleek:)

kaleesha will just stick to the back

auska89
2014-06-18, 04:48 PM
Faedrath is entangled and prone, additionally he takes 2 cold damage Combining a tanglefoot bag, and a grease spell for this attack. If you can overcome the Snowman's CMD you can move well enough with all the ice to try to scrape him off with damage. Note you still have a fire aura going, so all you need to do is tap your weapon against the ice to deal damage.

the other snowman absorbs some snow around him refilling his missing half and tosses another snowball. This time at Rinessa.
(ranged touch atk: d20+1 (11), 1d6 (2 cold), roll acrobatics (dc 10 or prone)

Rinessa, Alexander, then Faedrath

Alesterryku
2014-06-19, 03:24 PM
rinnesa 14
rinnesa fires another ember (if she's up) D20+2 (14) D3+2 (4)

alexander moves to H12
(acrobat 19)

faedrath stabs his sword in the ground (+2 fire)

auska89
2014-06-20, 01:44 PM
the ice clinging to faedrath melts a bit and seems looser, but it still sends cold chills through him. (take 3 cold damage)

Kaleesha's up

(unless she kills the snowman in question, the elemental will move to throw itself on the nearest target. whoever is closest at that point roll reflex)

did rinessa take damage from that snowball?
Edit: Rinessa hits the snowman again melting off half of one side. It frowns and looks around to see if there's anymore snow to absorb, but it's created for itself a dry patch.