PDA

View Full Version : Play by Chat Games

Pneumatichrsman
2007-02-19, 08:16 PM
Does anyone play by IRC or AIM or anything anymore? Anyone know any sites that host/organize this sort of affair?

Artanis
2007-02-19, 08:21 PM
A lot of people use OpenRPG (http://www.openrpg.com/). It's kinda like IRC, but has RPG-supporting features like a dice roller and an area for miniatures.

I haven't tried actually organizing anything though, so I can't tell you much about that part.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-20, 05:22 AM
There are several various sites and forums that are dedicated to organizing OpenRPG games. The one I use is the Tangled Web (http://www.thetangledweb.net).

Ravyn
2007-02-20, 07:49 PM
While I do play by AIM (and on occasion IRC), I'm not sure I can help you find anywhere; my AIM game was arranged with a group I'd already met IRL, and the IRC game was a result of someone looking around for volunteers on a forum I frequented. (Though I learned something from personal experience: unless you've got a group of diehards, try to keep the timezones close together.)

On the plus side, I've seen reasonable amounts of interest in AIM games that have been posted on the Finding Players forum here. It's not unheard of.

Dareon
2007-02-20, 10:49 PM
I'm in two IRC games, both run among the group of friends I have online. The main problem you have to be aware of is speed. Even with a good dicebot and often-used dice macros, a round of combat can take upwards of half an hour, simply because you can't type as fast as you talk and throw.

Also present is the problem of simultaneous speech. I've had several times where my diplomatic character has been writing a long question, and the party barbarian has asked the exact same question in, like, five words.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-20, 10:54 PM
Also present is the problem of simultaneous speech. I've had several times where my diplomatic character has been writing a long question, and the party barbarian has asked the exact same question in, like, five words.

Yeah, the toe-stepping can get quite annoying. My solution is to simply treat someone posting a question/comment before I'm done as an interrupt - that is, I simply stop typing whatever I was saying, and continue as a reaction to what was just said. It makes the conversation a bit more dynamic, from my experience.

JadedDM
2007-02-20, 11:31 PM
I run my games in OpenRPG, and I can vouch for it. It's a pretty good program.