PDA

View Full Version : Using Psionic tattoos w/o skin

Renen
2014-06-03, 05:57 PM
So I have an air elemental template. My GM says that since I dont have "constant" skin I cant use the Psi Tattoos since they have a clause about that.
Any ideas on how I can either use them anyways, or simply another way of using the psi powers in them? (Potions maybe)?

I tried saying that I am wearing some skin (hercules style lion skin for example). But the GM doesnt think it'd work, though its technically a skin, and its on me...

Nettlekid
2014-06-03, 06:01 PM
Well there are the Psychoactive Skins in the XPH and MIC. They're blobs of ectoplasm that go over you, but they're psionic and they're "skins" so maybe that would work?

Renen
2014-06-03, 06:03 PM
Too expensive...

Though another question:
Potions are made by a person who knows the spell they are putting into the potion right?
Can they be made by a person who knows a SLA?

Or maybe I can just have the effect replicated by a 1 time wondrous item?
Or if wondrous items cannot have psionic powers in them, a Universal Item (Psionic version of Wondrous)?

Renen
2014-06-03, 06:45 PM
Or maybe there's some other item that I can use (and is cheap) to replicate the tattoo?

One Step Two
2014-06-03, 07:26 PM
You could argue that Auto-Hypnosis (if you have ranks in it) which gives you control over your body lets you focus on keeping a part of your skin stable while you scribe your tattoo, and once in place, while it may become indistinct is still part of your form.

Alternatively, you could get rare inks from the plane of air that can can be used to mark air-elemental bodies.

Zaq
2014-06-03, 07:41 PM
If the GM doesn't want it to work, it's not going to work. Period.

Basically, since the GM is the one saying no (rather than the actual rules being the ones saying no), you'll have to ask your GM what he or she thinks will do as a substitute. We can throw out ideas all day, but in the end, it's in the GM's hands. So tell the GM that this is what you want to do, and ask him or her what kind of investment he or she needs to see in order to allow it.

If you ask me, the best bet would be to use the precedent set in Complete Arcane for making different kinds of potion-like items (the example they give is "potion-tiles," which you snap in half instead of drinking) to make different tattoo-like items. But that depends on where you're getting them from, and if psionic tattoos play a big role in the GM's world, it may not be trivial to find a shop selling the reskinned version. Like I keep saying, it's in the GM's hands.

Renen
2014-06-03, 09:06 PM
The GM isnt saying no because he doesnt want me to do this. But because we are playing by strict RAW. If you like, think of this as a theoretical exercise.

Renen
2014-06-04, 11:55 AM
Any more ideas?

Seclora
2014-06-04, 12:07 PM
Try Craft Talisman (http://dndtools.eu/feats/oriental-adventures--96/craft-talisman--3669/) out of Oriental Adventures. It's very similar in function to potions best as I can tell, and maybe you could talk the DM into letting this be the Psionic equivalent, rather than tattoos.

That said, I don't know that there is a strictly RAW way to do it. If the Air Elemental Template of yours gives you any sort of incoporeality, maybe you could try incorporating Ghost Oil into the Creation of the Tattoo?