PDA

View Full Version : Spellbook Handbook

Captnq
2014-06-03, 06:25 PM
No, not a handbook on spells, a handbook on making a spellBOOK.

It's a word doc available for download HERE (http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1401837662).

This is the final draft before I add it to the EVD, if you have any comments, corrections, requests, or observations, post them here.

Renen
2014-06-03, 07:14 PM
I skimmed it, and it aint half bad...

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 07:17 PM
Rather than having people download the thing, why not actually post it?

dextercorvia
2014-06-03, 07:24 PM
I disagree with the notion that a Wizard has to have copied a spell at least once into his book to know it. When you attune a spellbook, you can use it as your own, meaning prepare any spell in the book. It actually calls it out as Instead of copying each spell, rather than instead of making spellcraft checks to use a borrowed book.

Captnq
2014-06-03, 07:56 PM
I skimmed it, and it aint half bad...

Thank you. It's an evolving piece.

It's part of my future Wizard Guidebook: Complete Guide to all things wizard. Which in turn is a part of the Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis (Just reached 104 individual handbooks in various states of completion.) I'll be making a condensed Wizard only set of The Spell Book, that has the 1849 wizard spells all by itself organized for maximum use by wizards. Then a whole bunch of other stuff.

The spellbook handbook is just one step in the process.

I disagree with the notion that a Wizard has to have copied a spell at least once into his book to know it. When you attune a spellbook, you can use it as your own, meaning prepare any spell in the book. It actually calls it out as Instead of copying each spell, rather than instead of making spellcraft checks to use a borrowed book.

You have a point. I shall address that at once.

Werephilosopher
2014-06-03, 08:23 PM
Nice. However, it's missing Aureon's Spellshard (ECS p265), which is basically a half-price, half-value Blessed Book in crystal form. The lower price means it's easier to buy/make in the early game, which means early access to scribing spells for no cost.

Gildedragon
2014-06-03, 09:17 PM
note that instantaneous success is at 24 or higher, not 23

25+9 is 34
23+10 (taking 10) is, well 33, one short of the DC

Duke of Urrel
2014-06-03, 09:55 PM
Thank you for this, CaptainQ. I've downloaded a copy!

I would like to know how to post a document. For example, how would you post an Excel document in this forum? I have one that I'd like to share.