PDA

View Full Version : New feats for melee combatants

Dhavaer
2007-02-19, 10:22 PM
Beat Them Back [Fighter]

Prerequisites
BAB +11, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush

Benefits
Whenever you make a full attack in melee, your opponent takes a -2 penalty to attacks against you for every successful attack you make against that opponent. These penalties last for one round.

Bound By Blood [Fighter]

Prerequisites
BAB +12, Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack

Benefit
If an opponent you made a full attack against last round attempts to move away from you, you may attempt to stay with them. You can follow them for a distance up to your base land speed, minus any movement you made last round.
If the opponent attempts to escape by flying, you may attempt to grab onto them. Make a melee touch attack and a grapple check. Your opponent reverses their size modifier for this check (so a large creature takes a -4 penalty). If successful, you can hold on long enough to make a full attack next round, after which you fall to the ground. You must have a hand free to do this.

Cut Off From The Planes [Fighter]

Prerequisites
BAB +12, Penetrate Magic, Knowledge (the planes) 2 ranks

Benefits
If you make a successful attack with a Cold Iron weapon, the opponent struck cannot use teleportation spells or effects for the next round unless they succeed on an opposed caster level check, for which you use you BAB as your caster level. You gain a +5 bonus on this check. You oppoent takes a -5 penalty if they have damage reduction penetrated by Cold Iron, or are otherwise vulnerable to it.

Eviscerate [Fighter]

Prerequisites
BAB +20, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical, Power Attack, Weapon Supremecy and Crushing Strike, Driving Attack or Slashing Flurry

Benefits
Whenever you score a critical hit with the weapon you chose for Weapon Supremecy, the opponent struck must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 BAB+Str mod). If they fail the save, they take 4 Constitution damage, are nauseated for 1 round and sickened for 1d4+1 round. If they pass the save they take 2 Constitution damage and are sickened for 1 round. If you have a feat or other ability to use an ability other than Strength for melee attack rolls, you may apply that ability to the DC of this ability.

Penetrate Magic [Fighter]

Prerequisite
BAB +4, Knowledge (arcana) 2, Spellcraft 2

Benefit
You can penetrate a small amount of magical damage reduction when armed with a Cold Iron weapon. You may ignore an amount of DR/magic equal to half your BAB. You may ignore an amount of DR/alignment equal to 1/4 your BAB. This is a supernatural ability.

Shatterspell [Fighter]

Prerequisites
BAB +12, Improved Sunder, Penetrate Magic

Benefits
When armed with a Cold Iron weapon, you can destroy part of an object made of Force. By making a melee attack with this weapon, you can destroy an amount of Force equal in size to your combat space if you succeed on an opposed caster level check against the caster of the spell. You use your BAB as your caster level for this check. This is a supernatural ability.

Peregrine
2007-02-20, 10:04 AM
I like Beat Them Back, but how long do the penalties last?

Dhavaer
2007-02-20, 01:39 PM
One round. I must have forgotten to put that in.

Hannes
2007-02-20, 01:44 PM
Penetrate magic seems... Obsolete. You probably HAVE a magical weapon by then.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 01:49 PM
Define "successful attack" for Beat Them Back.

Dhavaer
2007-02-20, 01:51 PM
Hits and effects. Generally this would be damage, but I'm pretty sure there's feats that negate damage in exchange for a different effect.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 02:10 PM
You should probably put that in text, because some munchkin could define "successful attack" as "successfully swinging the sword, regardless of connection or not."

Duke of URL
2007-02-20, 02:20 PM
You should probably put that in text, because some munchkin could define "successful attack" as "successfully swinging the sword, regardless of connection or not."

It's always better to be specific, but in the example here, the Munchkin's DM should take him/her to the woodshed.

Dhavaer
2007-02-20, 02:21 PM
Fixed. 'Successful' in D&D apparently means the attack roll was successful, it's used in a few other ability descriptions.

Dhavaer
2007-02-21, 05:47 PM
Combat Expertise [General], [Fighter]

Prerequisite
Int 13

Benefit
When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until your next action.

Special
If you are wielding a shield and one-handed or light weapon when you use this feat, the dodge bonus gained is doubled. You cannot add the bonus from this feat when wielding a two-handed weapon.

prufock
2007-02-21, 06:13 PM
"Whenever you make a full attack, your opponent takes a -2 penalty to attacks against you for every successful attack you make against that opponent."

Does this apply to touch attacks as well? Pretty easy way for even casters to gain an effective +2 to AC.

Dhavaer
2007-02-21, 06:21 PM
I just noticed I left the 'melee' out of that feat text. But if you can get a caster to make a full attack, I odn't see a problem.

prufock
2007-02-22, 06:05 PM
I just noticed I left the 'melee' out of that feat text. But if you can get a caster to make a full attack, I odn't see a problem.

Actually, never mind the caster remark, I just noticed the '[Fighter]' part. So casters, unless they're cross class, won't be taking this feat anyway.
Don't fighter-specific feats usually have "fighter level X" rather than "BAB +X" as a prerequisite? Just a wording quibble.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-22, 06:16 PM
Actually, never mind the caster remark, I just noticed the '[Fighter]' part. So casters, unless they're cross class, won't be taking this feat anyway.
Don't fighter-specific feats usually have "fighter level X" rather than "BAB +X" as a prerequisite? Just a wording quibble.

"Fighter bonus feat" and "fighter specific feat" are not the same thing.

Dhavaer
2007-02-23, 01:20 AM
Yeah, the [Fighter] designation means that Fighters can take it as a bonus feat, not that you need Fighter levels.

Marcotic
2007-02-23, 07:13 PM
What about making the frenzied berzerkers surpreme cleave into a feat?