PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics

Pages : [1] 2 3

Amanil
2014-06-04, 01:37 AM
Math_Mage, your character is awake. The rest of you are unconscious - please do not post in the IC thread until told otherwise.
Aishe:

Tha-thump... tha-thump... tha-thump...

You blearily awaken, head pounding, the comforting heartbeat echoing in your mind slowly turning to waves of dull pain. That blow to the head is going to leave a bruise.

There are no real noises around - a slight chirp of birdsong is muffled on the other side of a barrier. The first apparent thing, other than the dull pain, is the tight ropes binding your limbs and gag around your mouth. The sack draped over your head - which is loose - blocks any hint of light.

You awake resting against... is that someone else? Their warmth and slight rise and fall of their chest is enough to confirm that they're still alive, which is always a good start.

Everyone should assume that their character has no gear other than what they were dressed in (i.e. clothes).

Math_Mage
2014-06-04, 02:53 AM
Aishe groaned miserably. Last night's bruises really had been enough. Now the new one joined them to play a torturous cacophony inside her head. By contrast, her feelings were numb. The events of the past day (was it only a day? How long had she been out?) had completely overwhelmed her. She closed her eyes, not that it made any difference, and thought wistfully of sleep. But her gods-cursed head hurt too much, and--she realized--she was parched as well. No chance of oblivion, however pleasant it might sound.

She supposed she was resting on another victim of the scheme. The axe, maybe--she couldn't remember the other weapons. She wasn't comforted. There are worse things than robbery, and she had no idea who this person was, and she was still helpless. The thought spurred her into action. She half-rolled, half-slid away from the man and began working at her bonds, forcing sore limbs to twist and turn in search of knots or loose loops, gritting her teeth against the waves of pain in her head.

Unencumbered Escape Artist check: [roll0]. Otherwise, take 20--Aishe doesn't have anything better to do--so, up to 21 minutes of activity unless interrupted.

Also, I'm assuming it's a man. Could be wrong.

Amanil
2014-06-04, 03:30 AM
Aishe:

Half dislocating your shoulder in the process, and your mouth raw from working at the rope, you eventually find the bonds loosening enough to slip first one then the other hand free.

Your ankles are still tied together, but at least you can get the sack off of your head and get a breath of air.

Almost certain that you're still in the warehouse - the crates and barrels that the slight slivers of light slicing in through small gaps in the walls reveal hints as much - you can make out the forms of at least half a dozen others generally about. Though it's still gloomy, your eyes have had plenty of time to adjust to the darkness and you can make out a bit more about them.

The closest, and one you'd been half laying on, is a young woman in simple clothing, wavy hair spilling over her face. She is noticeably taller than you, but also quite thinly built. Her breathing is shallow, but she's most definitely alive.

On your other side is creature whose kin you've met before - a small, scaly waif of a... well, you're not sure if they're male or female, but they're definitely a kobold and, as far as you can tell, are still breathing.

Kobolds aren't your typical "kill on sight" creature in these parts; they are often travellers and merchants, and you've shared several campfires with their kind in the past. They are generally cunning, a little rude, and almost always greedy. Mostly found in nomadic tribes, their presence in a town often brings a plethora of unusual goods to trade... and supposedly quite a few burglaries.
Past the kobold is another young woman, her dull robes are clearly stained with blood, her thin blonde hair half-plastered to her face. She doesn't seem to be moving, as far as you can tell.

Beyond them, a rather burly young man blocks most of the rest of your view - he is deathly pale, even in this lighting, and you're not even sure if he's still alive.

You can make out a few other figures past this, but you won't be able to tell much about them until you get closer. As you compose yourself from your exertions in getting free, the kobold next to you stirs.

Kosjir:

You awaken, with a headache the likes of which you've not known. The sharp pain in your back brings you back to reality quickly. Though your arms and ankles are bound with rope as thick as your wrist, your head has not been covered and, though a little groggy, you can see fine. You find yourself making eye-contact with a young human woman sitting with her back against a wall, noticeably dishevelled, and with her feet bound.

Her hair is mostly in a long, messy braid which is currently tucked over her shoulder. Her sleeveless white top and dark-coloured skirt (your darkvision isn't much good at working out colours) seem sweat-soaked and crumpled, as if she'd been in a struggle.

You see a few other figures laying nearby, but can't make out much without closer inspecting them.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-04, 09:11 AM
Kosjir stares woozily at the human, and blinks owlishly. This was not really how she had hoped things would go at all. She looks back down at her bindings thoughtfully and starts frantically trying to escape from them. She doesn't like the feeling of being tied up or being in such a claustrophobic place.

Escape artist [roll0] Also taking 20 if I can.

Amanil
2014-06-04, 10:01 AM
Kosjir stares woozily at the human, and blinks owlishly. This was not really how she had hoped things would go at all. She looks back down at her bindings thoughtfully and starts frantically trying to escape from them. She doesn't like the feeling of being tied up or being in such a claustrophobic place.

Escape artist [roll0] Also taking 20 if I can.

Kosjir's frantic flailing, if anything, only tightens the knots. She's definitely going to require either some assistance or a hefty length of time to get the ropes off.

I'll allow crawling while bound, with speed halved for each set of ropes (wrists and ankles). In other words, it'll take you 6 seconds (a round) to move 5' crawling normally, 12 seconds (2 rounds) to move 5' crawling with either ankles or wrists bound, or 24 seconds (4 rounds) to move 5' with both bound. This probably isn't realistic, but I like watching you flail about.

If you can get standing (Balance check, DC5), you can move at a quarter of your normal speed with a successful DC5 Balance check. Fail it and you're prone again. If you get your ankle bindings off you can walk about without penalty, obviously.

I'm not going to map this place out, so don't worry about exact distances. The whole falling over thing is mostly for comedic value.

Yes, I'm enjoying making your newbie characters feel like newbies. Maybe they've learned something from this?

Math_Mage
2014-06-04, 02:07 PM
Aishe slumped back, gingerly leaning her head against the wall. She licked cardboard-dry lips; the corners of her mouth stung from chafing. Those misbegotten sons of gravel could have left a waterskin, at least. Her shoulder ached. Everything ached.

Next to her, the kobold began to struggle. The noise vanished into the murk of the high ceiling. Aishe watched for a few moments. Plainly, it (?) wasn't getting anywhere. Aishe hesitated, her upbringing warring with recent experience...and scooted herself over to the kobold. "Calm down," she said. "Let me see." She hoped it spoke Common--not all the ones at the fairs did, and she'd never found one willing to teach her dragon speech.

I assume free hands make short work of rope, but otherwise it's an Aid Another.

Amanil
2014-06-04, 02:42 PM
Free hands indeed make short work of rope. I'm happy to speed this along by saying both Aishe and Kosjir are free of their bonds.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-04, 06:44 PM
Kosjir growled in annoyance at her bindings, more a small pitiful sound really than a threatening one. She froze when human hands came into her vision to work at the ropes while imploring her to calm down. It wasn't long before the ropes fell free, and she looked nervously up at the human.

Nice human yes? I thank you.

Kosjir glances at the other comatose bodies lying Dwarves? Not very nice...

Amanil
2014-06-04, 07:05 PM
With her darkvision, Kosjir can see more detail about the fallen folk nearby. As well as the young woman behind Aishe and the other behind her, she can see past the large man a few more people.

A man with slightly pointed ears peeking through shoulder-length hair, wearing generally rather stylish yet comfortable clothing, is next. From this distance it's hard to assess if he is alive or dead.

A young man in simple robes is propped against a barrel, his head flopped to his chest. He is likely only on the verge of adulthood. Sitting next to him is another robed man - this one wearing very simple clothing and with an unkempt mop of hair.

In a corner made of a wall of crates, bound together back to back, are an obviously elven man and woman - both showing signs of middle-age. The woman has sharp, accentuated features, and long, flowing hair. The man has his hair tied back, a single thin braid running down the side of his face. Trussed up and hanging upside down from a rafter, bound by masses of ropes and gagged, is a male gnome.

All of the above seem to be unconscious at best, and at death's door at worst. Further investigation will be needed to conduct any sort of triage.

Math_Mage
2014-06-04, 08:26 PM
"You're--ah!--right about that," Aishe said, stiff limbs protesting as she clambered to her feet. The pounding in her head had lessened somewhat, and it belatedly occurred to her that people might be dying while she nursed her bruises. She moved past the kobold to the blond woman, and knelt to check her pulse.

I s'pose I plan to check everyone, but Aishe doesn't know anything about healing or medicine, so it's mostly about finding out who's still alive. And waking someone who can help get the gnome down, since that'll be a job and a half.

Amanil
2014-06-05, 08:49 AM
Moving through the fallen, even with your basic knowledge you can ascertain that most of them are still living. Two you aren't sure about: the large male human and the other female human (as part of your investigation you find that the woman you were laying on has some elven blood in her, and isn't human like you first thought).

All of the others, with the exception of the gnome, have areas of bloodstained clothing. The level of care required to ensure that they recover is beyond you.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-05, 01:59 PM
Kosjir stares up at the gnome and ponders if it would be possible to get him down. It certainly doesn't look like a comfortable way to be tied up anyway.

Math_Mage
2014-06-05, 03:46 PM
Aishe was feeling rather useless by the time she reached the elves. People had bled, they had fallen, and they were alive; she couldn't tell any more than that. For two, the blond woman and the pale man, she couldn't even say that much. For all she knew, they were already gone.

Finishing her futile inspections, Aishe noticed a familiar object out of the corner of her eye, lying forgotten in the dirt. Her flute! She clasped it to her chest, feeling absurdly happy for a moment. Despite all that had happened, she hadn't lost everything.

The others, though...Aishe turned to the kobold, saw it looking up at the gnome. "That should be Thimblewomp," she said. "The notice was a trap, but it's the right time of year for him to come through here, and one of the dwarves said he was drinking Jirl's ale." Well, near enough, anyway. She gestured at the crates and barrels that filled the warehouse. "I'm not sure if we can get him down, but we might at least be able to get up there."

Aishe's plan is to stack crates and get up to the gnome, keeping an eye out for anything sharp that could hasten the process of cutting him down. She might find it more tricky than anticipated to both free him and catch him, though. Also, she doesn't know how heavy the crates are.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-05, 04:32 PM
I suppose if Kosjir is going to try to figure a way to get the gnome down she'll be trying find how he's tied up? Or would that be a spot check? I'll roll both

search [roll0]

spot [roll1]

"Thimblewomp is little one not mean Dwarf? Hmm, maybe I can adventure yes..." Kosjir mumbles while she picks her way carefully towards the Gnome.

Amanil
2014-06-05, 05:15 PM
The gnome is suspended well above Kosjir's reach. It looks like he was tied up on the ground, a rope thrown over a rafter, and then him hoisted up. The rope is tied off on a rugged, unlit torch sconce. With some careful work by the pair, Kosjir mostly helping lower him gently and Aishe taking the weight - he is only a gnome, after all - the two are able to lower him to the ground.

The gnome is still alive, and only shows bruises rather than the bloodstains that the others display.

Based on the way he's been injured, it looks like the gnome was mostly beaten while hanging upside down. He is unconscious, but you reckon a good dousing with a cold bucket of water would rouse him.

Math_Mage
2014-06-05, 06:04 PM
"No, not a dwarf." Aishe smiled briefly. "A dwarf would sooner leave gold in the ground than suffer a name like Thimblewomp. Jirl's a gnome, and a merchant. Sells wine, ale, mead, anything that'll give you a nasty headache in the morning." She looks the gnome over, and grimaces. "Only now I suppose he'll be the one with a headache, if this is him. I've half a mind to add to it. None of us would be in this mess if he'd hired enough muscle for these roads in the first place." Her face clouded, and she added pensively, "Well, some of us wouldn't be."

She shook herself. "Gods! I've all but told you his life story, and I haven't even told you my name. I'm Aishe."

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 07:30 AM
Aishe, yes? Human. I am Kosjir, Thimblwomp is gnome...Why would someone want a headache? Sounds like poison... Kosjir trails off into a low mumble as she checks Thimblwomp over, and concludes he isn't too terribly injured.

"Soft skin, no scales, how you all not die of bruises?" She starts picking her way back over to the other injured to try and access the damage. "Thimblwomp is your friend? Does Thimblwomp really adventure?

Amanil
2014-06-06, 08:37 AM
Kosjir moves amongst the fallen, quickly assessing them.

The male and female elf appear to be only lightly wounded, but they are unconscious. The man still has a crossbow bolt lodged into the back of his thigh; the blood loss appears to be his main problem.

All of the humans are nigh-on at death's door with the exception of the youngest (one of the robed ones), who looks to have taken multiple small wounds.

The male half-elf - he's too stocky and his ears aren't pointy enough to be an elf - is wounded but at least has some colour in his face. The female half-elf is in a similar condition.

The ones at death's door you expect to need medical treatment or magical healing, or they will likely be dead within the next few hours. The others will also likely need treatment in order to recover - their wounds haven't even been bound - but their need is less critical.

With the healing power you have available (one Cure Light Wounds?) you believe you could either stave off death from one of the more seriously injured, or possibly revive one of those less badly injured. The female half-elf seems least badly hurt.

Some basic first aid could likely fully stabilise most of them, though those more grievously hurt would need near-constant mundane attention in order to hold on.

During your triage you also notice that everyone else seems to have only the clothes they're wearing, with the exception of Aishe (who's found her flute), the male half-elf, who has a wooden holy symbol about his neck, and the youngest male human, who also has a holy symbol which you instantly recognise as that of Obad-Hai

Your character knows anything available in the PHB about Obad-Hai (general description, domains, but not too much more).
Interestingly, the half-elf's symbol is draped in such a way that it's likely to have been placed about his neck after he went unconscious - it's not tucked in to anything. You recognise the symbol as that of Olidammara, god of music, revels, trickery and thieves.

As your characters would ordinarily be dead (honestly, it's like you don't even want to play my campaign! :smalltongue:) treat them as at -9HP and with 2 temporary Constitution damage. In other words, the first HP you recover doesn't even boost you from -9, your maximum HP is one less, and it'll take a couple of days to recover that.

As mentioned via PM, your character is at -5HP and stable.

Your character is at -8HP and stable.

Math_Mage
2014-06-06, 10:55 AM
"It is a poison," Aishe said with sudden vehemence. "People drink it anyway, to forget their shyness, their worries...their pasts. And then morning comes, and they're wounded anew by memory." She looks away. "Headache's the least of it."

She was silent for a time, watching Kosjir work, until the kobold asked her about Thimblewomp. "We've never met," she said. "But merchants know him, and I know merchants. He might adventure, or not--spirits sell everywhere, he doesn't need to go haring off into the wilderness." She considered asking what Kosjir meant by adventure, but there were more pressing concerns. "Can I help you with..." she gestured vaguely at the unconscious people. "Plainly you know what you're doing, but there's so many people here...should I fetch a medic from town?"

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 11:31 AM
If I read what you've given me triage wise, we've got mostly red's and yellows with a few greens here...Kosjir is banking on the one with the Holy Symbol being able to do holy things like herself and being able to help get to the red's more quickly.

Kosjir looks up nervously "What about bad dwarves? What if they come back? Or get you? ....Kosjir seems almost at a loss and sighs there really were too many for her to heal alone"Can you get help fast?" She clambers over to the male half elf, places her dainty hands over his head and mutters "Through my claws, sooth this ones hurt"

[roll0]

Amanil
2014-06-06, 11:38 AM
Kosjir's magics seem to bring the colour back into the half-elf's face. He is by no means on top form, but his eyes flicker open weakly.

For the sake of getting things moving, have an extra 1HP on top of Kosjir's healing (your character is now at 0HP and therefore "disabled" - any act that would count as a standard action or I deem as overly strenuous drops him to -1HP).

Not sure what you mean by "reds" and "yellows". Essentially, those I've listed as being at death's door would take more than a Cure Light Wounds to get up, others you have a chance of rousing with a Cure Light Wounds. From a mechanics point of view, the grievously hurt ones are actually worse off than being at -9HP - they failed their last roll to stabilise and therefore would, under normal circumstances, have bled out. By the grace of some divine power known as Dee-Em they are still alive.

I made some Heal checks for you, and you aced them, so I'll tell you the effect: they are at -9HP and have taken 2 points of Constitution damage. The first HP they get back will not heal them, as that's soaked up by the lowered Constitution score. They are otherwise under the normal rules for recovering - treat them as stabilised and at -9HP.

Hopefully this is the only serious tweak I'll have to do to the rules in order to not kill people before the game begins. :smallwink:

Math_Mage
2014-06-06, 12:54 PM
"Those coal-bags are long gone," Aishe said. "I heard them talking--they wanted to get moving. That was before I found out what was going on." Seeing the half-elf awaken, she grinned. "That's one. There's a church in town--they should have priests there. I'll bring some, and they can help us with the rest. We'll be all right." She started for the door.

TBC by PM?

redzimmer
2014-06-06, 03:11 PM
Airn Swift

His eyes flicker open, his hand instinctively going to the knife he usually kept in his boot. No... he remembered now. In good faith he left his weapons at the door... crossbows... the old dwarf with glasses...

He sits up, and regrets it immediately. A small, scaly... person? hovers near him.

"Where am I? If you shot me, why are bothering to help me now?"

He checked his belt pouch. No money. No belt pouch.

"Where's the old one? I promise he'll beg to die!"

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 03:22 PM
Kosjir jumps away in surprise. No! I did not shoot you, bad dwarfs shot you...and me, and, and everyone here! She practically tripped over herself backing away from the surprisingly violent half elf. "The bad dwarves are gone, you can help with all these hurt people yes?

Well what's done is done, I meant to get the other one with the holy symbol, but I mixed up who was human and who was half elf...oh well, unless Airn has heal that was a thoroughly wasted cure light wounds I guess.

redzimmer
2014-06-06, 03:34 PM
Airn Swift

"I... no, do I look like a doctor?"

He looks down at the necklace bumping against his chest...

What in the elf-loving Nine Hells?

"Oh, right. This isn't mine." The small one must have thought he was a cleric.

Who put this on me? Some stupid dwarf joke?

"You, can't you just pray and make them stop bleeding?" Religion wasn't his forte. You gave the priest some coins, he muttered some mumbo-jumbo, and poof, you were better. Maybe he's looking for a "donation"? She? He? Never could tell with a kobold.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 03:44 PM
"Noooo, only can pray once, and did it for you!" Kosjir points right up at Airn with a claw, then she hastily turns to administer your usual everyday first aid to the rest who are knocked out "Help make bandages yes? You look big and strong. Human girl, ah, uhh, Aishe! She went to find priest!"

Amanil already rolled healing, so everyone in the warehouse should be found and stabilized at least until Aishe gets back, we're just role playing right now. :smallsmile:

redzimmer
2014-06-06, 03:50 PM
Airn

Movely slowly to not reopen the wound in his abdomen, Airn, moves slowly to the robed human. By the blood loss so far, he should bandage him first.

Airn starting tearing the robes and tying them over the wounds. The kobold seems to know its business, so Airn was sure to let hims oversee the first aid attempt.

"This one's as trussed up as I can do. Who next?"

Amanil
2014-06-06, 03:55 PM
With Kosjir's guidance, Airn is able to help out in administering general treatment to the wounded. It takes a little bit of effort, and more than a few improvised bandages, but the two of you are able to properly stabilise them all.

Given that none of them are actively bleeding out, I'm happy for you to go through the process of stabilising them all and generally providing part of long-term care (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/heal.htm) for them to keep them alive until Aishe gets back. Working on the basis that I haven't done that bit yet, what's the longest time you'd consider hanging around for her to get back or something else to happen before deciding to do something else yourself? Y'know, just in case something happens to Aishe on her way there. :smallwink:

Math_Mage
2014-06-06, 04:02 PM
With Kosjir's guidance, Airn is able to help out in administering general treatment to the wounded. It takes a little bit of effort, and more than a few improvised bandages, but the two of you are able to properly stabilise them all.

Given that none of them are actively bleeding out, I'm happy for you to go through the process of stabilising them all and generally providing part of long-term care (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/heal.htm) for them to keep them alive until Aishe gets back. Working on the basis that I haven't done that bit yet, what's the longest time you'd consider hanging around for her to get back or something else to happen before deciding to do something else yourself? Y'know, just in case something happens to Aishe on her way there. :smallwink:
Can I just say, I was already half-expecting something and that last remark still made the bottom drop out of my stomach. :smalltongue:

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 04:04 PM
"Uh, this one yes? Then this one too" Kosjir points to the other humans, then pauses and stares at Airn for a moment eyes squinted.

"You're still hurt? Gimme bandage for you!" She demands while holding a hand out and wiggling her claws "You're no help if you fall back down!"

I suppose I should note, Kosjir is also wounded from a xbow bolt, although it must have just grazed her and gone right through, I'm going to say that she's not paying attention to that right now cause she's too concerned about all you soft skins. :smalltongue:

redzimmer
2014-06-06, 04:25 PM
Airn

Airn is a bit abashed by the small kobold's resolve to help all these strangers, including him.

And so far he has only thanked... her? efforts with rudeness.

"I thank you, my friend. I... am sorry for my rudeness before."

Resolved to follow the kobold's directions as best he can, Airn aids the others.

Amanil
2014-06-06, 04:27 PM
While Kosjir was hurt, the damage that put her down was subdual damage. In true D&D fashion, she'll be fully functional when she heals up one more point of that (which is actually fairly soon), and is at literally no risk of hurting herself - unlike Airn, who needs to keep his activity levels in check in case he manages to open himself up again. Kosjir can tend to him, but by the game rules it won't do anything. He might appreciate it, though, from an IC perspective, which is always something.

Cheers for padding out time, you two, I'm more than happy for you to keep the IC banter going back and forth if you want, or we can wait for me to finish the bit with Aishe and/or for the dragon to attac-... oh, darn, did I say that?

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I'm rather amused that the characters who are conscious so far are all wondering after Kosjirs gender. I'm probably going to leave Kosjir oblivious to this confusion, unless one of your characters just goes crazy with curiosity and asks.

"Bad dwarfs make you angry, it's ok..." Kosjir says, she looks thoroughly engrossed in tending the wounded now. "This one is Thimbl...thimble..what was his name? Thimblwump?" She points at the battered and bruised gnome. "Dwarves aren't nice to him either."

Amanil
2014-06-06, 07:26 PM
Unashamedly double-posting, so people get the notification in their subscribed threads.

Enough time passes such that Kosjir heals one point of subdual damage. She is now fully mobile again.
Some forty minutes later, and with all of the fallen still breathing, Kosjir and Airn hear people conversing as they approach down the side-alley. "...and the kobold healed another of the victims, but she didn't have enough magic for everyone so I came to find you." Aishe finishes up just as they reach the doorway. Light from outside streams in as the door opens, and given the amount of time they'd spent in darkness it's briefly blinding for those inside.

A human woman, dressed in chainmail and with a yellow - almost golden - cloak advances in, longsword in hand. She quickly spots the occupants, including the fallen, and motions for the others to enter. Three unfamiliar figures - one elven man and a human man, both showing signs of middle-age, are garbed in chain, while the young male human bringing up the rear is dressed in well-polished leather. All wear the same coloured cloaks. The woman stands guard by the door.

You recognise the golden cloaks as identifying them as members of the church of Pelor, who often conduct ceremonies and the like wearing the same coloured garment.
"Hail!" The elf calls out, clearly the leader of the group. "We have been told you have wounded amongst you, the light of Pelor is here to revive them. May his blessings be gracious, and his work not go without the praise worth-..." The elf suddenly cuts off from his spiel, which he was getting rather in to, as he looks over the fallen. "By Pelor's warmth, Leinna!" He rushes to the two elves, clearly distressed. With a slight look of confusion, the two others begin tending to the wounded wordlessly.

You are on 6HP. Note that you still have 2 points of Constitution damage.

You are on 5HP.

You are on 2HP. Note that you still have 2 points of Constitution damage.

You are on full HP.

You are on full HP.

The elf rests the index and middle-finger of his right hand on the elf maiden's forehead, holding the golden disc of Pelor about his neck with his other, and speaks in a mystical tongue. A soft glow encompasses her, and she wakes with a start, instantly making eye-contact with the priest kneeling over her.

The elves converse in Elven.

"Father!" the woman exclaims, relief obvious on her face.

"Leinna, are you okay? What happened here?" the cleric speaks.

"We were here to see Jirl, we're going to the midsummer festiv-... Ellian!" She notices the male elf next to her. "Is he okay? Father, you have to help him!"

"He is safe, my dear. You are safe." He almost whispers, embracing her, tears evident on his face.

The woman and elven cleric converse. The cleric is evidently relieved, and embraces the woman as she notices the elf she'd been tied to and cries out. About this time, one of the other clerics tends to the gnome, who awakens suddenly, jabbering in an assortment of languages. None present manage to catch... well, most, in fact... of what he says, but as he seems to be repeating himself the little tidbits tie together.

"Blasted dwarves! ... No bloody good! ...Robbed me, can you believe it? ...They opened the Delvic Wheatwine! ... Too damned good for them!" He chatters, clearly a combination of frustrated, furious and fuming.

You hear one bit in gnomish that he doesn't mention in other languages. "Going to sell it! The nerve!"

Math_Mage
2014-06-06, 08:14 PM
Out of her depth, Aishe retreated to the most familiar face in the room...which wasn't saying much, but it was better than nothing. "So, help is here," she murmured to Kosjir. "And rather more besides, from the looks of it. How are you holding up?"

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-06, 10:11 PM
Kosjir tilts her head to one side as the scene unfolds before her, she'd never before seen priests like these, they were so bright, and tall. And my did they like to pontify. Fortunately it sunk in just how in need everyone within the warehouse was and the elves quickly set to work healing.

Of course with the sudden addition of sunlight everything became a little bit blurry for Kosjir, something she had grown used to long ago, but it was especially irritating after spending so much time in the dark. She squinted up at Aishe who had come back, at least that's who it sounded like. "Like a toad in the sun... he sure is mad though" She points at Thimblewomp, then turns her hand to point after Airn "Him too, not very happy, nope not happy."

Kosjir suddenly looks like she just remembered something and starts looking around herself but doesn't seem to find what she's looking for. "Have you seen Slithers? Slithers looks scary, but is really nice...or something..."She trails off looking around but not wanting to start a commotion. "Slithers? Are you anywhere?"

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-07, 12:11 AM
Thianne's right hand twitches, and her eyes spring open. The last thing she remembered was...

Oh, ye gods, she hurt. If only she'd paid more attention to controlled breathing lessons! And a great many other things. On the note of attention, her senses began to function again. Very slowly... You see, she could feel her eyes open, but everything was dark, and there were noises. Was she dead, and had her soul gone to some hall of waiting? No, she was very much alive, and still on the Prime Material Plane. The smells, the still air... She was still in that shady alley. Eugh.

When everything came into focus again, Thianne saw Elves, and Humans, and even another Half-Elf and a Kobold! She slowly rises without a word, and runs a mental checklist to see if everything was where it was supposed to be, and working. Flexes fingers, flicks wrist, pops neck...oh, and she brushes hair out of her face. The worst seemed to be behind her, for now!

As much to herself as to the others, and half-listening to things, she says, "Looks like everybody took the hard way..."

Math_Mage
2014-06-07, 01:14 AM
"Slithers? Like a snake?" Aishe shuddered. But plainly it mattered to Kosjir. "I'll...keep an eye out." She just hoped Kosjir found it first.

She went to Jirl Thimblewomp next. The gnome was still sputtering mile-a-minute indignation. Aishe waited a surprisingly long time for him to take a breath, and interjected, "Haggled in steel, did they? And we got caught up in it. I'd heard your wagon clinks, so how'd you come to be out here without any meat on board?" She'd heard enough trader's lingo growing up to pick up scattered bits. Maybe the familiar phrases would get through to him.

I'm just winging it. In case of unclarity: "Haggled in steel" -- robbed (at swordpoint). "wagon clinks" -- rich. "meat" -- guards.

the Frogman
2014-06-07, 10:31 AM
Van's eyes slowly open as his head continues to throb. Before him, he sees a small group conversing. Van quietly growls before jumping to his feet. He lets out a loud, drawn out roar as he flexes his muscles. Veins protrude from his neck as his face turns red.

His dark eyes set on the Kobold before him and he begins marching to the small creature, fists clenched.

After three steps however, the room spins faster and faster until Van falls back to the floor.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-08, 04:59 PM
Kosjir turns as the angry growl grows into a roar. One of the humans had gotten up and muscles rippling was coming right for her! With a small yelp she hastily retreats to put as many people as she could between herself and the fierce and apparently very angry human.

Amanil
2014-06-09, 04:37 AM
As promised, moving things on. For the sake of consistency, we'll assume JBarca's character is being particularly stubborn to revive.
The acolyte patching up Van's wounds backs away a few steps as the man stands and lets forth his beastly roar. In response to this, the woman guarding the door eyes Van warily, obviously ready to intercede should her charges be threatened.

The gnome seems to simmer down after a minute or so, instead grumpily muttering a mixture of anti-dwarven racial slurs and promises for payback.

As Aishe approaches, Jirl, now sitting and massaging his legs, looks up..

"Aye, in steel... seems others also got a hard bargain for their troubles." He looked about the room at the plethora of those generally worse for wear. "The meat was spoiling, it travelled all the way from Dunder. I was hoping to pick up some fresh stock here, but that didn't do me so well."

Hopefully obvious - giving you two the full details as I figure you're more likely to move in these sorts of circles. Jirl had a hired escort who had accompanied him from Dunder, but they were only contracted for that leg of the journey. He was hoping to hire another escort party from here.
He sighed, shaking his head. "That's what I get for an honest month's work... they don't even know what they've got their hands on - some of the finest from here to the coast. They had the nerve to start swigging down Umberale like it was the local pisswater."

"They're probably long gone by now, and my wagon with them. Tundrick can barely keep the roads clear, nevermind have troops to spare to apprehend those blasted brigands." A sudden glimmer of an idea is in his eye. "I won't be needing an escort for a while - I'll need to see to managing my contracts for next season - but maybe you all turning up wasn't all for nothing."

He calls over to the elven cleric. "Brother Theold, what is Pelor's view on bringing these bandits to justice?"

Again, made the rolls and you two turned up being the ones to know the most about the law of the area. Go figure.

There are three levels of laws:

King's Law - the individual rulings of the monarch (known as Queen's Law if the current monarch is female), who can overrule the lesser laws in any case. Generally King's Law is only invoked after direct petition, and then almost entirely in cases involving nobles. Cases of treason are always covered by King's Law.
Church Law - sometimes known as Temple Law, this is the rules enforced by a given religious body. It rarely covers areas covered by Common Law, but often comes down harshly on those who would do ill against the religion. Church Law can only be in effect if one of the criteria is met:

It directly involves a priest/clergyman of the given religion.
It occurs on land owned by the religion.
The head of any given local church says so. Because of this, the predominant religions in an area are almost always good, and often lawful, otherwise they can be viewed as corrupt. Some seek leniency regarding an infraction of Common Law, and clemency often comes with a monetary "donation" or promise of service/pilgrimage.

Common Law - enforced by the local lord and the town watch, this is the set of rules that affect most people day-to-day. It lays out what's generally illegal and the appropriate punishments. It covers crimes such as murder, rape, robbery and assault. It varies slightly from region to region but mostly only in severity.

Theold looks over at Jirl, his brow slightly furrowed. "I will have to confer with Father Doran on the matter. I do not think we can get together a suitably sized mission before they would be lost to the wind, though."

"No need." Jirl grinned. "I think I've got just the bunch." His eyes swept over the group with enthusiasm not befitting their bedraggled state. "So, brave souls, I may have a job for you yet."

redzimmer
2014-06-09, 04:07 PM
Airn

"So then... you're the 'Jirl' who was looking for hired blades then?"

As such he is only slowly realizing that it was not an ad specifically designed to rob people.

The half-elf looks at his robbed and assaulted self with an expressive 'what you see is what you get' gesture.

"I suppose I wouldn't mind slipping a knife into those bearded goblins' ribs, but I am kinda thin in the knife department right about now."

He looks again at the pendant around his neck.

...the hells is this doing here? Some vague dwarf joke?

In case it plot-relevant, maybe he can figure out why he has a holy symbol around his neck. Also will try to appraise in case it has more than meets the eyes.

Amanil
2014-06-09, 05:04 PM
"That I am, lad." The gnome grins, broadly. "Jirl Thimblewomp, trader of the finest ales, liquers, wines and more from Davven to Dunder, at your service." His face falls somewhat when he realises that everyone is somewhat poorly equipped to take on armed brigands.

"Well, we can't have you chasing after them in naught but your skivvies. Tell you what, you go after them and bring them to the justice they deserve, and I'll see you loaded out with some semblance of something useful. Whatdya say?"

There is still some scant honour among thieves. Perhaps they recognised your trade?

JBarca
2014-06-09, 09:39 PM
Blinking repeatedly as her head swims, Tsera manages to regain some semblance of consciousness just in time to hear the Gnome introduce himself. She sits for a moment, looking rather confused. She then looks about the room, her nervousness and bewilderment plain to see.

"Um... Hello, everyone? What is going on?"

Then, she seems to remember something, quickly pats herself down, before standing straight up.

"My spellbook! And scrolls! I can't... they're gone! Oh no... They're all I had..."

As her excitement wears off, she sways a bit on her feet, clearly quite ill.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-09, 11:29 PM
All that Thianne has to offer at this time, is a response to Airn. "A knife between the ribs, you say? I would love to add 'a kick to the sternum' to that." She rises fully, staggers a bit, and stretches. Her full height is five feet and nine inches, and her brown robe - something more suited to a gambler or some shady back-alley peddler, and not a monk - reaches to her ankles now that it is not heaped beneath her.

Math_Mage
2014-06-10, 02:53 AM
"And I'll assault their ears!" Aishe put in, looking over--and up--at Thianne with a mischievous grin. "A few stanzas from The Ballad of Drustan Bebor will leave them begging for mercy. Koza," she added with an absent-minded gesture, brightening her clothes to match her mood.

Prestidigitation burned. 1 hr starts now.

Amanil
2014-06-10, 03:36 AM
"There we go!" Jirl beamed. "That's the enthusiasm I've been looking for! I would have hired you bunch on the spot if it weren't for those treacherous walking beards!"

He looked about the few who hadn't yet offered their service. "As you can see, I'm a little light on coin myself right now, but I can call in a few favours, sell off some of next season's stock early... I can probably raise fifty gold apiece by day's end, maybe a little more. Should you be able to return my wagon and whatever of its contents they haven't drank I'll see you properly recompensed."

"As for your spellbook, miss, I'm sure Leinna here - an aspiring young spellslinger - wouldn't mind letting you take a peek at hers." He gestures at the elven woman, who's still visibly distressed and sitting closely to the young male elf.

"The-... they took my ring." She stated, almost in disbelief. "Our rings." Her eyes flicked up to meet Tsera's. "Miss, I don't know you, but if you can bring our rings back from those... those beasts... I'd gladly let you have my spare tome."

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-10, 06:12 AM
"Ahh, ahh I want to go too...and help yes? I can help? Bad dwarfs are bad-"

Kosjir stutters a little bit why peaking back over from behind some of the priests she had taken to hiding behind. "But the scary man, won't eat me will he?"

Amanil
2014-06-10, 11:23 AM
The clerics seemed to have finished up their work and their apparent leader spoke quietly to Jirl, with the two exchanging nods. He turned to address the group.

"I shall speak to Father Doran about getting his blessing for this venture. It undoubtedly has been an attack on Pelor's followers so I doubt he will object. Know that should you accept his blessing, you do so agreeing to abide by Pelor's ways. I do not recognise your faces, so I assume you either do not hail from Harlskeep or you do not attend Pelor's services. To ensure you keep true to the way of Pelor, brother Garrius will accompany you."

The youngest cleric visibly blanched.

"Jirl, bring your group to Pelor's church at tomorrow's zenith." He and the rest of the clerics move to depart.

If you have any questions for the Pelor lot, now's the time to ask.

JBarca
2014-06-10, 12:33 PM
Nodding solemnly at the offer for the spells, Tsera speaks. "I will gladly do what I can to help you all in stopping the activities of the thieves. It is awful to think that they would take advantage of us like that."

Then, looking at each individual who seems more sad than vengeful, she says "I'm so sorry for your losses. I sincerely hope everything can be recovered."

redzimmer
2014-06-10, 12:39 PM
Airn

"The man will have to eat me before he can get to you, my new and brave friend," Airn says, warily eyeing the loud, angry man.

"I expect he suffered the same indignity as he rest of us, and surely will set his wrath in the correct direction?"

In a toe-to-toe fight Airn knew the man would likely tear him in half, but the half-elf felt he owed the kobold a debt, and he would be no better than his father if he left Kosjir to fend for her? his? self.

Maybe by watching Kosjir for a bit Airn might determine the gender of his kobold chum. He could always ask, but in human circles this is considered a grave insult. Elves, for all he cared, might all be androgynous.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-10, 01:29 PM
I think it depends on how much your character knows about Kobolds, I imagine he'll actually be more confused by her behavior than anything else because of reasons. I might have to talk a bit in PM's about that with Amanil.

Kosjir eyes Airn and brightens up a little, "Oh so you are very very nice like Aishe!"

She darts back out into the open though still keeps some distance between herself and Van "Pelor is the sun yes? He wouldn't like nasty dwarf thieves..."

Math_Mage
2014-06-10, 05:07 PM
I'm just assuming Aishe didn't figure out Kosjir, because screw consistency. :smalltongue:
Aishe colored slightly at Kosjir's declaration. She turned away, cleaning her flute with the same spell that had cleaned her clothes, whisking away dirt that had gathered on and in the hollow instrument. She played a few short bars, the notes sounding high and clear, and smiled in relief. Tucking the flute into her sash, she rejoined the group.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-10, 06:39 PM
Appearing deep in thought - or just half-there - Thianne nods. If she, a student of abstract philosophy and grateful of Celestian and Fharlanghn, would have to follow Pelorite ways to aid herself and others, so be it. She would do so in the open, and from the shadows.

Hopefully, Garrius would understand if Thianne were to make a couple of blows in places that galled Paladins...or suggest placements thereof to others.

Amanil
2014-06-13, 05:07 AM
"Excellent! Can you keep yourself occupied until this evening? Shall we meet at the Roasted Hog?" Jirl seems positively enthused, a spring in his step and he is already making for the door. "Lots to do, lots to do... I'll talk to the innkeep, get you set up with a room. Feel free to make arrangements for your equipment, we'll do a run around tomorrow morning and then you can be hot on their heels!"

The elven woman, Leinna, approaches Tsera shyly. "I'll make sure my book arrives in good time; I hope it is of some use to you."

Jirl's on his way out. If you have any questions, now's the time to ask. The two elves are still around, slowly composing themselves and looking a little forlorn.

redzimmer
2014-06-13, 11:32 AM
Airn

Unwilling to suffer the company of his pointy-ear kin, Airn slinks out of the warehouse and heads for the seemier side of town.

After looking for any loose change that might be lying about, he spends the rest of the day asking a few questions (with any coin gathered to loosen tongues) of the locals.

Airn will try the ol' Sleight of Hand pick-pocketing some marks so he might get the funds to Gather Information. If successful, he wants to see if anyone knows of, or got a sight of, these dwarves.

Day done and hopefully not wanted by the constabulary, he heads to the Roasted Hog at nightfall.

JBarca
2014-06-13, 08:58 PM
Smiling at Lienna, Tsera says, "Thank you madam, that is most generous. Should we return here with my spellbook, where should I look for you to return it? In addition, that I may be more prepared for our coming adventure, can you tell me what sort of spells I might expect to find in your tome? I plan to acquire a scroll of two this evening, and would hate to waste Master Thimblewomp's gold on redundancies."

After Lienn'a answer, Tsera wander out into the town with her money, attempting to purchase a few items in hopes of proving herself useful in the days to come.

After making her acquisitions, she finds her way to the tavern to meet up with Jirl and the others.

ONE (1) Spell Component Pouch - 5gp
ONE (1) Sling - 0gp
TEN (10) Sling Bullets - 1gp
ONE (1) Level 1 Scroll (TBD, based on Lienna's response) - 25gp
ONE (1) Quarterstaff - 0gp
FOUR (4) Rations - 2gp
ONE (1) Waterskin - 1gp
ONE (1) Bedroll - 1sp

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-14, 04:50 PM
Kosjir gives everyone a small bow and thanks for the gold before poking her head out of the warehouse and glancing around. It takes a moment for her eyes to adjust what little they can to the bright sun but once they have she steps out and takes a deep breath of fresh air.

Just as she was about to wander off something slithered over her feet. Even though she knew better, Kosjir still reflexively jumped away not really expecting such a sensation in the middle of a town.

"AA AHH! S-Slithers!" She gasped looking down at the snake, it reared it's head up and flicked it's tongue.

Kosjir looked around, then poked her head back into the warehouse "I-I found Slithers! Don't worry Slithers is nice!" She didn't stop to give anyone time to really respond before turning back to the snake "Slithers is ok yes? Uh...how about you stay up here?" She says gesturing up to her shoulders while crowching down to get nearer to the snake. A part of her was screaming, but the part of her who had gained some resolve after meeting other "adventurers" was reminding her that it wasn't weird to have an animal companion...even if it was a cold eyed and terrifying snake.

After scooping up Slithers, Kosjir goes out to see the town and get herself some equipment.

Here's what Slithers looks like btw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus#mediaviewer/File:Agkistrodon_piscivorus_5.jpg)

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-15, 01:27 AM
As she takes in the conversation around herself, Thianne thinks about ways to better avoid such surprise perforations as she has recently experienced, in the future. Travelling with company would help, yes, but what if she were caught off guard? She would need to train her senses. Perhaps watch the others, study them.

Oh. Jirl was heading out the door! Snapping out of her reverie, Thianne calls to the gnome, "If you need a name for me, mine is 'Thianne'!" It was an awkward way of introducing oneself to an employer, but it worked.

Amanil
2014-06-15, 04:07 PM
"It is my tome from my time as an apprentice," Leinna notes, quietly. "If my memory serves, it has some basic enchantments and illusions, and perhaps a conjuration or two. You are welcome to accompany me to retrieve it, if you wish to peruse it prior to this eve."

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Tsera would be more than eager to go through with Leinna's offer. As Tsera does not have Read Magic prepared, Leinna will go over the spells in it with her. Make sure to read "Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks" from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm), I'll be requiring her to make the checks as relevant - failing a given check means she can't memorise that spell that day, making the check means she can memorise that spell as many times as she wants that day.

The spells available are:

All cantrips (Leinna does not seem to be a specialist)
Sleep
Charm Person
Silent Image
Summon Monster I
Grease
Color Spray
Mage Armour

Amanil
2014-06-16, 06:21 AM
The Roasted Hog, a bustling inn near the markets, is busy with a mix of craftsmen and merchants. It's a well-to-do establishment, and the doorman - a bulky man, clearly with some orc-blood in him - looks each of you up and down as you enter. Given the distinct lack of weapons about your persons, though you look a little worse-for-wear he allows you entry with a gruff nod.

You will not be permitted to bring Slithers inside, so unless you have a cunning way of hiding him he'll have to entertain himself outside.
The hubbub of conversation fills the room, the majority of occupants seem to be enjoying dinner or a drink with a few friends. The atmosphere is cheerful, and a troupe of three musicians play on a corner stage - one playing a stringed instrument not so dissimilar from a modern-day violin, another with panpipes and the third singing in a language most of you don't understand, though it sounds melodic and bright.

You recognise the style of tune as that sung primarily by elves - which makes sense, given that the troupe are elves - though the language sounds unfamiliar.
You recognise the language as Sylvan; the song's lyrics talk of a pixie's antics with a group of inconsiderate travellers.
The bar itself is busy, but not too crowded. The human bar staff are happily talking to their customers and the serving staff - mostly halfling and gnome women - dart in and out of tables with trays over their heads.

The clientčle is varied but generally seem well-off, most sporting stylish tunics and cloaks with the majority of women wearing dresses or skirts which verge on the point of being practical. Humans, elves, dwarves (though none you recognise), halflings, gnomes, and even a table of kobolds are present.

Jirl is already seated and easily visible from the doorway, tucking in to a hearty meal of meat stew and a dainty glass of red wine which he occasionally sips at. Compared to this morning he looks in decidedly better form and spirits, a rosy glow to his cheeks and his appearance much neater.

For the purposes for keeping things moving, your characters arrive in whatever order you post.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-16, 11:16 AM
Kosjir pokes her head into the inn, her stomach rumbles as the smells of food cooking reach her nostrils. While enticing, the sheer number of people leave her feeling mildly uncertain, until she spots Jirl and makes a beeline for him.

"H-hello mister...you look much better than before, yes?" She sits down at the table while wringing her paws a little nervously and looking all around trying to take in the sights and all the different people.

Amanil
2014-06-16, 12:08 PM
Jirl beams as he sees the kobold approach. The table he's seated at has ample room for others.

"Fit as a fiddle, my dear." He takes a sip of wine. "Can I get you some food? It looks like you're the keenest of the bunch, and I can't very well be the only one eating." Without waiting for an answer, he waves a halfling over. "Dinner for my friend here, if you please."

She turns to Kosjir and offers a menu - a wooden book with paper tacked to the slats. The menu is written in the local common tongue, and also in languages which Kosjir doesn't recognise. The prices seem somewhat high, but based on the aromas and glimpses of food at other tables, it is clearly of excellent quality. "Today's soup is chicken and onion," she states with a smile that could almost pass as genuine.

Dinner

Any 2 courses - 3 silver.
3 course meal - 4 silver.

Starters
Soup of the day
Fresh seeded bread and spread - baked locally
Breadcrumbed chicken quarter, with sweet honey dip

Main Dishes
Beef and spiced root vegetable stew
Vegetable pie with thick pastry
Our trademark hog roast, served with rich, dark bread.

Dessert
Sweet citrus rolls
Selection of the finest fruits and cheeses, bought daily.

Drinks

Hog's Stout - 3 copper (pint)
Thrushwater Mead - 3 copper (pint)
Brandybeer - 5 copper (pint)
Pressed pear and elderflower - 3 copper (glass)
Barkroot brew - 2 copper (cup), 4 copper (pot)
Wine menu on request

redzimmer
2014-06-16, 12:57 PM
Airn Swift

After fleecing some locals of their excess coin, and reinvesting said cash into some local eyes-and-ears, Airn heads to the Inn.

Upon entering he sees the kobold Kosjir along with the gnome.

Strange bedfellow, Airn thought, know well enough the emnity gnomes can usually have for the scaly smallfolk.

But the only racial politics he cared about now involved perforating as many dwarves as possible. He sits at the table, nods a curt greeting to Kosjir and begins to talk to Jirl.

"Word on the street says some beardos in a cart were seen headed west," he says.

"Look, I hate being rude, but we're losing time sitting here. You promised some funding, and I itch for some steel twixt my knuckle, you ken?"

Amanil
2014-06-16, 01:22 PM
"True, you could be chasing after them in the dark, with scant but a sharp tongue," Jirl observed as he munched on a mouthful of stew. "I've rustled up enough gold for a good meal and a warm bed, with a little change. The rest of my benefactors won't be shaking hands until the morning."

He shrugged, and ate another spoonful.

"Might as well get a good night's rest, ready to play catch-up in the morning. If they're heading west, that ties in with what they said to me." He dabbed at the corner of his mouth with a cloth. "I didn't have as much gold as they wanted, and they won't be able to sell more than a barrel or two between here and Davven. I'm betting they're going there to try to sell it."

He passes a menu to Airn. "The stew's good."

redzimmer
2014-06-16, 02:30 PM
Airn

Airn shrugs. If he gets held up, he gets held up. Revenge with a night's rest and a belly full would be palatable, he decided.

JBarca
2014-06-16, 05:19 PM
The door opens and a very nervous-looking Tsera walks in. She seats herself at Jirl's table, as close to the nearest wall as possible, and smiles politely at her employer and coworkers. As she notices the music, she smiles, clearly amused, and listens for a few moments before pulling out a book and studying its pages.

Sir Grave
2014-06-16, 08:17 PM
Bowan, unable to drink alcohol on duty (not that he drinks much anyway) takes a seat next to Tsera. Seeing her spellbook, he opens his mouth to speak, then stops. He then tries again.

"Pardon me" he said, hesitantly, " I do not believe you're from around here. My name's Bowan. Bowan Gladstrong. Tell me... have you much experience with adventuring?"

JBarca
2014-06-16, 08:36 PM
Tsera's eyes open wide, a mix of fear and surprise evident in them.

"I... I'm sorry, with whom do I have the, erm, pleasure of speaking?"

She glances at Jirl, wondering how he is taking the apparent intruder at the table.

redzimmer
2014-06-16, 09:23 PM
Airn

Airn does not recognize the newcomer as being from the warehouse group and casts a sidelong look to measure his employer's reactionm

He quickly scans the common room for an easily reached weapon.

sense motive on Jirl, spot for within reach weapons.

Math_Mage
2014-06-16, 09:43 PM
Aishe spotted the group as she entered, but glanced around the room anyway, as if looking for someone else, and not finding them. Her ears pricked, catching the sound of--was that elvensong? No--the lyrics had a different cadence, dancing like leaves in a breeze, where Elven was flowing water, smooth and subtle. She hummed snatches of the tune as she made her way over to Jirl's table, mentally adding the cost of pen and parchment to her tally of equipment to buy on the morrow, and missing her notebook.

There was a stranger at the table--stranger than the others, anyway. Aishe arrived in time to hear his exchange with Tsera, and couldn't help but giggle. "Bowan Gladstrong, he says," she told Tsera, plopping down next to Kosjir. She looked at Bowan. "Aye, we've experience with 'adventuring', Bowan Gladstrong, like a deer's experience with arrows. Would you join us, and take a shaft to the knee?"

+1 pen and ink +5 parchment to shopping list

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-16, 10:03 PM
Kosjir smiles (in whatever way a Kobold does that, like a dog maybe?) at Jirl and thanks the gnome for the offered menu as she takes it and squints at the contents. She could read a little bit, but that didn't mean it was an easy easy thing. She glances up in time to see Airn come in an returns his nod before bending back to the menu only half paying attention to the conversation.

Finally after Tsera joined them she was ready to order something, and flagged down a waitress.

"Uh, can I have the seed bread, and er...beef stew?"

She stutters a little bit, then nearly jumps out of her scales when a man suddenly sits amongst them, she glances around the table and like Airn eyeballs the newcomer, only to again be startled by a more familiar face plopping down next to her.

I apologize in advance if I am misremembering anything from earlier in the thread I need to start taking notes so that I don't have to keep rereading bits and pieces of the past three pages :smallsmile:

Sir Grave
2014-06-16, 11:24 PM
"Er..."Bowan was taken aback by the number of reactions he was receiving."I...I didn't mean to... That is... Ah, damn it..."
"Great first impression, idiot,"he thought to himself.
"My apologies. I assumed that I was expected."

Amanil
2014-06-17, 02:41 AM
Greeting each as they came, Jirl ensured food and drink was delivered promptly. He welcomes Bowan just as he did the rest, and looks somewhat surprised by the negative reaction of the group.

One thing that I should probably add that you'd all be very aware of, I would imagine, is that Bowan is armoured in a chain shirt and has a longsword at his belt. None of the other patrons of The Roasted Hog seems to have anything near as obvious a weapon (a few have daggers in their belts, but that's about it).
You can keep the longsword on you, but your glaive will be waiting by the door.
Though you're not from Harslkeep, Bowan wears garb that makes him easily recognisable to you as a town guard. You don't pick up anything unusual about what he's saying. You also notice Bowan hand a glaive to the doorman as he entered. In case you're still interested, there are enough bottles and chairs around to come up with an improvised weapon easily.
You lose another 50XP. Don't worry, I'm keeping track.
Can't be bothered to edit my post in the OOC thread: yes, Kosjir also knows Druidic. The singing isn't in that, but I figure you guessed that already. Make a note on your character sheet if you haven't already. :smallsmile:
"Bowan, glad to have you with us." Jirl smiles. "Has Father Doran filled you in on our little adventure this morning? Bowan's here at the behest of the captain of the guard; can't have you lot traipsing around without a badge to look after you, apparently. Vigilantes don't really suit his style."

Father Doran is the head of Harlskeep's church of Pelor. Though he wouldn't have talked to Bowan directly, one of his representatives would have been the one to approach your captain regarding matters. Given that the captain gets on well with the church, it's not surprising that he found a suitable member of his troop so quickly.
"Just two more, I think, to make up this little band, then we'll get down to business. Wine, anyone?" He tops up his glass, and offers the bottle to any who ask for it. It's a particularly fragrant vintage - the gnome obviously approves of it, though the complexities of the flavour are lost on the rest of the party.

Math_Mage
2014-06-17, 08:00 AM
"Ah, worry not; I meant only that this experience has not been one to boast of," Aishe said wryly to Bowan. "In fact, it's felt remarkably like being hit on the head and robbed. And if you're helping us to fix that, you deserve a finer welcome than my poor wit; 'tis I who should apologize." She touched a finger to the corner of her eye, then held her hand out for Bowan to shake.

I meant to post this before the omnibus update, but it still sort of works after.

Sir Grave
2014-06-17, 09:55 AM
Bowan couldn't help but notice Airn eyeing his sheathed longsword. "Um, right," he turned his attention back to the group as a whole, "one of Doran's associates filled me in on the way. My task is to accompany you, if you'll have me. I know how to use a glaive, I've fought with vicious wolves before... Well really, it was the one wolf... I'm sorry. I'm rambling. It's just... I've never done this before."
He extends his hand to shake Aishe's, praying in his mind that Airn wouldn't take it off with his own sword. "R-regardless, it's an honor to meet you. Again, sorry for the startle."

I pretty much have no bonuses in sense motive (which actually works for a character flaw) but can I make a check anyway to see if Airn intends to cause trouble?

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-17, 03:55 PM
Thianne enters the tavern without too much difficulty, having taken a few extra minutes to acquaint herself with the layout of the town she was in. And any stores she might want to check out...

To assure the guards at the door that there was nothing hidden beneath her robe, she opens it and gives it a quick shake. Nothing underneath but clothing and one strange half-elf! The sound of music was welcome to her ears, and memories of dancing in such establishments came flooding into her mind, and a smile formed on her lips.

She, being one of the last of the group of unfortunate souls to enter, has little difficulty in finding her fellows in shared danger. As gracefully as she is like to do (all in movement but not at that much in manner!), she nods politely and takes a seat where available upon arriving, taking care not to interrupt any conversations going on.

Amanil
2014-06-17, 05:47 PM
Entering the tavern with a look of wonder, Brother Garrius spots the group and awkwardly makes his way over, almost tripping over a halfling in the process. He sits down next to Jirl, handing him a rolled scroll. "This is all rather exciting," he says, looking around overenthusiastically. "Do you think we'll see any ogres? I've never seen an ogre."

Jirl takes a pair of spectacles from his pocket, placing them upon his nose and peering at the scroll. "Blessing of Pelor, blah blah blah, in his name, blah blah, righting injustice, blah blah blah," he mumbles, eyes scanning the parchment. "Looks like you're good to go," he states, rolling the scroll back up and passing it back to Brother Garrius. "With the church and the guard with you, what can go wrong?"

"Now, on to matters of business. Most of you have been wronged by those thieves, and I'd pay good coin to be there when you catch them, so I gather retrieving your equipment will be high on your list of priorities. I'm paying you to get my stock back, however, not to seek revenge. Speaking of payment, for every barrel you recover, I'll pay you half the retail value. I'll still be making a loss, but it won't ruin me. If you can't find them, or they sell the stock before you catch up... well, such is life. I'm taking a gamble with you lot, I trust you won't let me down. If all goes well, I may have some use for your services in the future. Does that sound agreeable?"

He peers over his spectacles at the group, reaching into his rather bright tunic to withdraw a scroll of his own. "The guard's told me they can't have a group of vigilantes acting out the law, so it looks like you're going to have to be a mercenary troop instead. Apparently, that's legal," he shrugged, picking up an inkpen and faffing with the stopper on a vial of ink. "So, what are we going to call you all?" He was obviously looking for suggestions.

JBarca
2014-06-17, 06:11 PM
Along with the others, Tsera offers Bowan a slight nod and an even slighter smile, before turning to listen to Jirl speak.

She nods as he mentions the priority of retrieval over vengeance, and when he sought agreement.

"Call us, sir? As in, an official group title? I hadn't known that was necessary. Given the nature of our task, perhaps something along the lines of 'The Liberators?'" Tsera looks a bit nervous as she speaks, quickly glancing around the table. "Unless, of course, someone else has a suggestion?"

Sir Grave
2014-06-17, 06:23 PM
Bowan fiddled with his thumbs, hesitant to speak up. "I'm ... really not sure, myself. Well... maybe if we took into account the name of the tavern we met in... no... Then we'd be 'the Roasted Hog...' I don't know. I'm no good at this... that said, 'Liberators' sounds like a good name as any. "

redzimmer
2014-06-17, 08:21 PM
AIrn

Liberators...

Airn tried it out a few times in his head. It might work. Non-threatening enough so's a town watch would not turn them away at the gate, but serious enough so that potential clients would not hold off with doubt of their resolve.

Airn decided it was a suitable name for a mercenary band, at least for the present time being.

"Whatever," he replied.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-17, 11:44 PM
"'Liberators'? Very fitting." Thianne says in response to Tsera's suggestion.

She ponders what she knows of Pelor's followers. It all came back to her following of "universal laws"... said laws being in conflict with some deities' portfolios. Still, she fancied herself somewhat more sensitive to the faiths of others than her peers back at the monastery, and certainly moreso than the types she associated with in her youth.

Referee
Knowledge (Religion) - Thianne is attempting to see if she knows the finer points of Pelor's faith.

Amanil
2014-06-18, 02:24 AM
Thianne is very familiar with Pelor, she knows all information on this page (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pelor), except for setting-specific stuff (anything directly related to specific locations, as they either don't exist or are far enough away such that she wouldn't know about them).

Though Pelor's acceptance and benevolance doesn't quite fit with Thianne's lawful dogma, there aren't any conflicts between her upbringing and Pelor's core aspects.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-18, 06:08 AM
Look look I'm contributing! This is something I actually thought of yesterday, what would it be like to play a character with a small vocabulary and actually have mean something in a game. If the inanity of my contributions for her are getting well...too inane let me know and I'll stop.

Kosjir blinks a couple of times and decides it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"Ahhh....What are liberators?"

Sir Grave
2014-06-18, 07:28 AM
"Well...They would be people who set things free. That's us. We'll be liberating... barrels of... goods?"
Bowan, embarrased at what must have been the most idiotic thing he may have ever said, went beet red.
"Sure! I'll try some wine!"

JBarca
2014-06-18, 09:03 AM
Tsera nods at Bowan's explanation, adding, "Not to mention, should we be successful, we will hopefully also be complicit in the liberation of many merchants and poor folk. Liberating them from the oppression of a band of thieves who do naught but endanger others."

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-18, 11:20 AM
Kosjirs eyes light up as "Liberators" is defined for her, she seems to really like the word.

"Libera-tors!" She says slowly making sure she has it right.

"Yes I like to be a Liberator, that is a good word, yes!"

Math_Mage
2014-06-18, 03:44 PM
Aishe grinned. "Aye. Just vague enough to keep people guessing. I like that!" She dug into her stew with gusto--her last proper meal had been before the robbery, before Harlskeep, before...she broke away from that train of thought. "So, what happened to, er, Slithers?" she asked Kosjir. "Didn't get lost again, I hope."

Amanil
2014-06-18, 04:21 PM
"Then Liberators it shall be." Jirl stated as he carefully began writing on the parchment. "I'll just need you to sign, then we can have our meal and rest ready for a big day tomorrow." He raised his glass. "Cheers!"

The parchment made its way around the table. On it was detailed a very basic contract regarding how the Liberators agreed to bring back Jirl's stolen barrels, and how much Jirl agreed to pay - along with the upfront payment of equipment. The speed with which he'd put the contract together made it clear that he was used to this sort of dealing - relatively informal, but quite precise.

I haven't got the full thing written up - for the sake of immersion I can try and get something together, but as I'm no lawyer - and none of your characters are lawyers - the subtleties would be lost anyway.

Giving it 24 hours (or until each player has made at least a concluding post) before wrapping up the evening and the characters retiring to their room. If you have any questions for Jirl then now's the time to ask him, otherwise feel free to chat amongst yourselves. If your character has objections about signing, you can voice them, otherwise I assume you're signing away your firstborn into slave labour and your organs for medical research.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-18, 04:45 PM
Kosjir holds a tiny claw in front of her mouth "Slithers is sleepy, yes. Very safe though, very close." She finishes her statement off with a small nod.

When the contract comes to her she squints at it curiously but not nearly long enough to have read even a fraction of it, then scratches her name on it in draconic runes.

Slithers is under Kosjirs tabard mostly, draped over her shoulders being a little heat vampire.

redzimmer
2014-06-18, 05:06 PM
Airn

Airn could not make out all the fineries of the language (heretofore, the aforementioned... his eyes glazed), but from what he could decipher, this agreement did not indenture him outside of slaying dwarves and saving barrels.

"The direction I heard the beards are headed, can you offer and insight about where it leads or any likely places they might hole up?"

Math_Mage
2014-06-18, 07:29 PM
"West means the Davven road," Aishe commented, taking the contract in turn. She scanned it closely--the last time she'd followed the directions of a paper with Jirl's name on it hadn't ended so well, after all, even if it (mostly) wasn't Jirl's fault--but if aught was amiss, she couldn't spot it. "They could have any number of hideaways along there; from what I hear, Lord Tundrick wouldn't notice if bandits set up a toll point right on the road. But they're carrying a heavy load--that'll limit their choices some." She signed the contract with practiced neatness and passed it on.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-18, 07:54 PM
Thianne peruses the document, nodding periodically as the others say their pieces. Unless ciphers and secret languages were involved, such that couldn't be translated with knowledge of Common, Elven, and Giant, she should be safe! Once she is finished, Thianne signs her name in the Common script - THIANNE.

Referee - Shopping List
Yes, it might help if I made one of these.

Backpack
Belt pouch
Bedroll
Chalk (15)
Flint & steel
Sack (3)
Sunrod (2)
Trail Rations (7)
Waterskin (2)
Winter blanket

Hand axe
Sling
-20 bullets

Annnd if at all possible, I'd like to share the rest of my grant with the others.

JBarca
2014-06-18, 08:00 PM
Tsera reads over the document carefully, ensuring that she is in no way beholden to Jirl (or anyone else, for that matter) regarding anything save for the already agreed upon services.

She then quickly and neatly signs her name, passes the contract on, and leans back, paying attention to her surroundings while listening to the discussion of newly-formed Liberators.

Sir Grave
2014-06-19, 12:14 AM
"Father would kill me for doing this..".
Bowan paused long and hard before signing the document, as if he had more to consider than the technicalities of the terms. He took a deep breath.
"So be it. Today, I'm an adventurer."
He signed, then passed it on.
"No questions from me."

Amanil
2014-06-19, 04:11 AM
"The road is an old one - some lengths are well maintained, others... well, let's just say I hope you're good with getting your boots wet." Jirl mused.

"Aishe is right about the bandits, though. Tundrick's patrols don't get much outside of Davven these days, so you'll probably at least see some shady groups. Traffic should be high - everyone's heading that way for the festival, though we're a bit on the early side. 'tween here and Davven you've got Jannisthorp about an hour out of your way, and you'll be passing through Branley-on-Layne, of course."

"Keep on the road between the two - as tempting as those shortcuts are, they're a quick way to a watery grave if you don't watch your footing." He warned. "They'll be forced to the road most of the way; the whole point of the thing is to get between places quickly, after all!"

He collects up the contract after Garrius also signs it, signs it himself, then excuses himself to fetch what looks like a small-sized quarterstaff from the doorman, though it has an intricate grain and is clearly not meant for either combat or walking support - the wood is too soft to be effective at either. After a few words are exchanged, the half-orc takes out a small blade and marks various notches along the length of the shaft before - with surprising precision, breaking the staff into two across his knee. Jirl thanks the man, handing him a coin, and returns to the table, giving one length of the stick to Thianne.

"You seem like a dependable sort, keep hold of your tally stick - I'll honour my agreement with whomever has it."

You're familiar with the tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick) system - though you've not dealt with them yourself, you know others who have or have seen others using them in the past.

The variant here is designed to be used for identity purposes - Jirl will keep hold of his end of the tally stick, and the group "The Liberators" is defined by the group in possession of the other end of the tally stick. The reasoning for this is, should the group's members change, they will still be able to be identified by Jirl.
You recognise the stick as a tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick). Tally sticks have been used by the lizard-folk in lieu of coin (they've only recently - the past 100 years or so - started using these strange, circular, metal discs instead, as apparently people outside of the tribes would accept them).
You're not familiar with this sort of transaction. The stick handed to you is about a foot long with a rather crude break at one end. Running about halfway down the length of the stick from the broken end are a series of grooves and notches, though there doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.
You recognise the stick as being a tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick), but you're not really sure about its usage as you've never actually seen anyone trade in them. You know they're used mostly by merchants.
Unless there are more questions, Jirl takes his leave and heads upstairs, informing the group that they've got three double rooms and a single room booked for the night.

Sir Grave
2014-06-19, 07:35 AM
"The road is an old one - some lengths are well maintained, others... well, let's just say I hope you're good with getting your boots wet." Jirl mused.

"Aishe is right about the bandits, though. Tundrick's patrols don't get much outside of Davven these days, so you'll probably at least see some shady groups. Traffic should be high - everyone's heading that way for the festival, though we're a bit on the early side. 'tween here and Davven you've got Jannisthorp about an hour out of your way, and you'll be passing through Branley-on-Layne, of course."

"Keep on the road between the two - as tempting as those shortcuts are, they're a quick way to a watery grave if you don't watch your footing." He warned. "They'll be forced to the road most of the way; the whole point of the thing is to get between places quickly, after all!"

He collects up the contract after Garrius also signs it, signs it himself, then excuses himself to fetch what looks like a small-sized quarterstaff from the doorman, though it has an intricate grain and is clearly not meant for either combat or walking support - the wood is too soft to be effective at either. After a few words are exchanged, the half-orc takes out a small blade and marks various notches along the length of the shaft before - with surprising precision, breaking the staff into two across his knee. Jirl thanks the man, handing him a coin, and returns to the table, giving one length of the stick to Thianne.

"You seem like a dependable sort, keep hold of your tally stick - I'll honour my agreement with whomever has it."

You're familiar with the tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick) system - though you've not dealt with them yourself, you know others who have or have seen others using them in the past.

The variant here is designed to be used for identity purposes - Jirl will keep hold of his end of the tally stick, and the group "The Liberators" is defined by the group in possession of the other end of the tally stick. The reasoning for this is, should the group's members change, they will still be able to be identified by Jirl.
You recognise the stick as a tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick). Tally sticks have been used by the lizard-folk in lieu of coin (they've only recently - the past 100 years or so - started using these strange, circular, metal discs instead, as apparently people outside of the tribes would accept them).
You're not familiar with this sort of transaction. The stick handed to you is about a foot long with a rather crude break at one end. Running about halfway down the length of the stick from the broken end are a series of grooves and notches, though there doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.
You recognise the stick as being a tally stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick), but you're not really sure about its usage as you've never actually seen anyone trade in them. You know they're used mostly by merchants.
Unless there are more questions, Jirl takes his leave and heads upstairs, informing the group that they've got three double rooms and a single room booked for the night.

Bowan stared at his wine (he still hasn't drunken any.)
"I was ordered to get a good night's rest, but I'm not very tired. It's all very exiting, you know. The idea of a quest. I'm very much looking forward to it." He held up his glass. "To the Liberators!"
With that, he took a huge gulp with his wine. Anyone with any degree of knowledge about wine knows that he shouldn't have drunken it so fast. When he finished, he cringed with regret.
"Stuff's... more potent... than I would have thought..."
Fortitude check required?

Amanil
2014-06-19, 07:42 AM
Fortitude check required?
Eh, it's wine, I'm happy for you to choose the result. If you want to roll for RP flavour, DC15 to down properly (let's be honest, it is quite hard), DC10 to do so with minimal problems (slight spluttering), DC5 to just cough a few times, anything lower and he has an urge to go redecorate something in a nice, deep red colour.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-19, 08:28 AM
After Kosjir has finished her food (and paid up? or was it all on Jirls tab?) She watches Bowan down the wine although it is uncertain whether she is expecting something, or simply curious. "Bed time for little lizards..." She smiles and hops down from her chair before standing up on her tip toes to eyeball everyone over the table.

"Don't drink too much poison, yes?" She says.

Amanil
2014-06-19, 08:59 AM
Should have been clearer: Jirl's paid for the meal and for the party's rooms for the night. I'll let you fight over who gets the single room, and who gets the rooms with the twin beds.

Sir Grave
2014-06-19, 11:22 AM
Eh, it's wine, I'm happy for you to choose the result. If you want to roll for RP flavour, DC15 to down properly (let's be honest, it is quite hard), DC10 to do so with minimal problems (slight spluttering), DC5 to just cough a few times, anything lower and he has an urge to go redecorate something in a nice, deep red colour.

And the result is...[roll0]

Bowan sputters the wine he drank down into a napkin. When he finished, he simply stepped outside for some fresh air, hiding his face the whole time.

JBarca
2014-06-19, 07:23 PM
Nodding towards her employer, Tsera takes a few more minutes to ensure that nothing if import is being said, before speaking.

"Does... Does anyone else desire the single room? I will need some time in the morning to study this new book, and it is preferential that said time be peaceful. Not to say you all are rowdy or loud or anything, I just... Well I'm afraid I won't be a lot of help to the party without that time, I guess?"

Looking slightly embarrassed, Tsera lowers her eyes, seeming content to await the party's decisions.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-19, 09:17 PM
Thianne blinks rapidly, looking the stick up and down, looks at Jirl, and then at the stick...Jirl...a cat lade with catnip might be less confused! Then, she finally settles. "Thank you for your trust. I have to ask... What's the story behind this, especially that I'm trusted with it? You called it a 'tally stick'?" She looks up at the Gnome.

She does not seem overly concerned about sleeping arrangements, being more interested in the stick.

Math_Mage
2014-06-19, 10:15 PM
Aishe yawned. "The stick's a debt marker. His end owes, our end's owed, and the group with the stick gets paid--so hang on to it. If someone joins our merry band, he can share in the coin; leave the group, you lose the pay."

She shrugged when Tsera brought up sleeping arrangements. "A bed is enough for me. Have the room if you like." A shadow crossed her face as she watched Bowan drink, but it passed when he spluttered. "For my part, what I'd like is to find out what those elves are playing--the song's in no tongue I've heard."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-20, 12:06 AM
Thianne nods, and begins on her meal. "Ah."

She turns an ear to the performance. "It's not Giant, I'll give you that."

JBarca
2014-06-20, 06:16 AM
Glancing over at the musicians, Tsera nods to herself and responds to Aishe."The song is, appropriately, being sung in the tongue of the Fey. It's a simple enough tale of free-spirited Pixies and intrusive 'big folk.' I'm sorry, I'd offer more, but I've only half been listening."

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-20, 07:21 AM
Kosjir grabs onto the table to help hold herself tall enough to be seen, it can be painful to stand up tall for too long. "I do not mind either, I can sleep anywhere! And so can Slithers..."

She let go of the table and sunk back down, her voice could be heard slightly muffled from bellow the table as she continued, "I'm going to sleep now, good night!"

Using some fluff from races of the dragon, Kobolds can stretch out their legs to stand about a foot taller than usual although it isn't a very comfortable thing to do. She's only just over 2 feet tall so yeah...

Sir Grave
2014-06-20, 11:21 AM
Bowan returns to the table, taking a second napkin and cleaning up his mess.
"I'm terribly sorry," he said, quietly,"I won't be doing that again."

He sat back down, sighing. "Um... in the morning, I would like for us to share our go to tactics and see how we can compliment one another as a team. If that's alright with the rest of you. I think it might help. That is, that's what my father taught me. He usually knows these things..."

Math_Mage
2014-06-20, 04:46 PM
Aishe hardly noticed Tsera's apology. "The fey tongue? So that's what it sounds like! Pixies and bigfolk, mischief, magic, discovery, aye..." Trailing off, she leaned back and closed her eyes, head swaying to the rhythm, occasionally mumbling fragments of the lilting lyrics. It was unlikely she even heard Bowan's proposal.

When the music ended, she opened her eyes and joined in the applause. Then another yawn found its way out, and she stretched catlike in her seat. "Whew! I'll find an empty room. No matter who sleeps where, I won't be in the way. Don't let Pelor catch you napping!" With a wink, she was off.

JBarca
2014-06-20, 08:11 PM
"Bowan, I think that is a splendid plan. I am using a borrowed spellbook until I can retrieve mine from these thieves, so my tactics may be a bit altered in the coming days, especially given the difficulties in parsing out the true dweomeric connotation contained within another's arcana. In fact, as of now, I honestly could not even tell you what sort of spells I'll have available on the morrow! Fortunately, Lienna seems to have a very similar speciality to my own, meaning I should be able to more quickly recognize the patterns and nuances of certain spells..."

Tsera trails off mid-sentence, realizing that she had simply been speaking her thought process aloud. Smiling at the others, she says, "Suffice to say, I agree, Bowan, and will be ready in the morning. Um. Goodnight, all. I will be headed to my room, now. Shall we meet here in the morning?"

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-20, 09:45 PM
Thianne regards Bowan's statement with interest. "Coordinating tactics? I'm very much in favour of that. It always helps to have a strategy outside of 'hit things until they stop moving'. It'll also give me an opportunity to test out some of the manoeuvres I was taught, in a less structured environment, but yes. Coordination."

One healthy and well-adjusted individual, this Thianne.

Sir Grave
2014-06-21, 11:41 AM
"Uh...Good! Alright!" He smiled, feeling accepted into the fold. "Thank you both. You won't regret it."
Bowan felt a tiredness come over him. "I think... I think I'll turn in as well. I do have a long day ahead of me tomorrow, and it wouldn't help if the party's appointed fighter is sluggish and tired. Oh, and yes. I think Tsera should get the single bedroom. Wizards need silence, I've heard. From my father. He was an adventurer, you know. One of the best locksmiths and trapsmiths from where he came from. And my- I'm rambling again, aren't I? I'm sorry. I'm just very exited. Good night!"
Bowan stood, smiling brighter, and headed off to his appointed room.

redzimmer
2014-06-21, 10:29 PM
Airn

Airn decides to call it a night.

"Friend Kosjir, care you if we share a room? I can string up a cloth for modesty if you so wish."

He only half listens to the soldier Bowan's suggestion of tactics, but nods agreement nevertheless.

He seemed stuck with these people until he supped on some sweet, cold dwarf-flavoured vengeance, and if the swordsman wanted to play Knights & Goblins, he wouldn't stop him.

Airn's still unsure of Kosjir's gender and would probably be scandalized if he knew. Silly prudish half-elf.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-22, 09:11 AM
"Oh yes, we can share a room! You can scare all the nasty dwarves away!"

Kosjir grins over her shoulder after Airn as she heads for their rooms.

"But don't hurt Slithers...Slithers is scary looking but won't hurt you." She points at her back and Slithers pokes his head out from under her tabard and flicks his tongue after Airn.

Amanil
2014-06-22, 10:37 AM
Feel free to make the rolls for your spell preparation. Any issues with how it works, let me know in the OOC post.
The morning arrives with the usual birdsong and gentle rumble of activity as various merchants and craftsmen get under way.

The enticing aroma of sizzling bacon and fresh bread wafts from the kitchen, and the general hubbub of conversation as the inn's patrons go about their breakfast fills the room. Jirl is already awake by the time you arrive, and he seems to be shaking hands and trading tally sticks with a few others.

You notice pouches of coin changing hands as well.
The gnome seems in good spirits, and waves you over as you arrive.

"... by new year, no doubt about it." He seems to agree with a middle-aged human dressed in a fine tunic, who nods and takes his leave.

"The deals are done," he hands each of you a pouch containing a decent sum of gold. "Feel free to enjoy your breakfast, then the chase begins, eh? I'll likely be heading back east, but feel free to leave a message for me here when you inevitable succeed."

Your pouch contains 50 gold.
Your pouch contains 10 gold, which is designed to cover expenses rather than pay for equipment.
Jirl doesn't join you for breakfast, he is clearly eager to get going about his work and is already in emphatic conversation with two fellow gnomes.

Sir Grave
2014-06-22, 12:06 PM
Bowan appears to have been up earlier, already finishing his breakfast. He approaches the rest of the Liberators.
"Good morning," he said. "Um... I know you still have equipment to buy, and all that. I also have a few morning rounds to complete, though it shouldn't take too long. Where should we meet up and when?"

I still need to say good bye to some friends, plus see how my father is doing.

JBarca
2014-06-22, 12:30 PM
Rolls. In order of attempted preparation. If I fail a roll, then the next roll in order will be my next attempt:
0 (DC15) -
Prestidigitation: (1d20+8)[20]
Detect Magic: (1d20+8)[16]
Daze: (1d20+10)[30]
Resistance: (1d20+8)[16]
Ghost Sound: (1d20+8)[10]
1 (DC 16) -
Sleep: (1d20+10)[28]
Charm Person: (1d20+10)[30]
Color Spray: (1d20+8)[22]
Mage Armor: (1d20+8)[15]
Silent Image: (1d20+8)[27]

EDIT: Good rolls. So, 0s Prepped - Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Daze, Message
1sts - Sleep, Charm Person, Color Spray.

Tsera enters the common room and meets up with her allies. In response to Bowan:

"I suppose if we have a couple hours, we would be able to meet back here, perhaps? To discuss our abilities and plans? Or should we do those discussions on the road?"

redzimmer
2014-06-22, 01:02 PM
Airn

Airn takes the pouch and heads off to make some purchases, including some specialized "tradesman equipment."

aka thieves' tools.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-22, 01:17 PM
Kosjir climbs up into her chair to get a good look at everyone.

"Here here yes?" She responds to Bowans question, then turns her head to watch Airn already slinking off to go about his own business.

"Back here in some hours?" She says while she hurriedly hops down from her chair and skitters after Airn.

"Wait for me, er friend? Yeah! Most big folk don't like little ones like me...I can go with you to buy stuff?"

redzimmer
2014-06-22, 04:52 PM
Airn

"Er, yes. Now some merchants I speak with might seem a bit... er, guarded. This is simply their nature and you should not be offended by them," Airn says, finding the most diplomatic way of saying 'career criminals' without saying it.

"Um... probably best if I do all the talking."

Feel free to flesh this out or railroad it as you feel is quickest or best suited for your plot. Just buying stuff mentioned in PM.

Sir Grave
2014-06-22, 07:13 PM
"Well... If no one else has an objection, I'll meet with you here to discuss tactics. I'll, uh, see you then."
With that he left.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-22, 07:19 PM
Thianne takes her pouch. "Thank you..."

"I'm all for coordinating things once we've all gotten what we need." Once Thianne has finished her meal, she will pick up what splits she needs.

Math_Mage
2014-06-22, 07:37 PM
Aishe ate quickly. Trade and travel were morning work; the roma had unpleasant words for those who loved their beds too well. "I'm heading to the smithy on Styke. I hear there's a deal or two and some interesting weapons to be had. Any takers?"

Assume Aishe leaves with whoever says yes.

JBarca
2014-06-22, 07:53 PM
Tsera murmurs thanks as she accepts her pouch, nods to her allies a second time, and smiles a bit as she heads out the door.

"I imagine most of my desired goods will be in shops much different than those for which you will look. I will be back shortly enough, I hope. Good luck to everyone."

And with that, Tsera heads off to purchase what supplies she'll need in order to aid her team.

Amanil
2014-06-23, 04:17 AM
The acquisition of Airn's tools of the trade passes without incident, though takes a little time - the set provided by the rather shady looking individual in an alley is a little incomplete for the sake of discretion, but acquiring the remaining tools is straightforward enough.
The mundane equipment is easily found - the scroll takes a little longer, but a well-dressed human merchant can be found who deals in arcane writings. A cursory inspection of the item seems to indicate that the spell being sold is indeed as advertised.

You made your Spellcraft check to decipher the scroll.
Finding the equipment you listed is very quick and easy - you can do what you will with the remaining gold.
Bowan's father seems to be unaware that Bowan is heading off into the big, wide world. He otherwise seems to be in pretty much the same state as yesterday - his deterioration can be described as slow. One of your fellow guards agrees to cover for you should he make any enquiries.
Please respond in the IC thread but wrapped in spoiler tags.
The smithy on Styke Avenue - "Drarl and Dralson's" - seems to be manned by a rather old, grizzled dwarven blacksmith and his son. The younger is working on a set of a bellows while the older hammers away at a length of metal whose current end-form Aishe lacks the skills to determine.

As Aishe enter the older nods to the younger, who gives one last blast of air from the bellows before approaching with a warm smile. "Hello, young miss! I'm Tarck Drarlson, son of Tarck Drarl, how can we be of assistance?"

Everything about the place seems normal, except for one little detail... Aishe is pretty sure that she can see her rapier on a wall rack.

Sir Grave
2014-06-23, 12:37 PM
Bowan will return to the front of the inn and await the rest of his companions, unless otherwise noted by you.

Math_Mage
2014-06-23, 03:11 PM
Aishe froze, thinking fast. The bandits had been here. Were these two part of the gang? Unlikely; they had honest work. But...Probably hot. Not really worth it. They knew who they were dealing with. A bespectacled dwarven face floated in her memory. (Another face loomed--Get out! Get out!...she pushed it aside.) Her information had been wrong--the smith's name was Tarck, not...

"Tholjir," she said, smiling sweetly even as she wiped the smile off of Tarck Drarlson's face. "You did business with him yesterday. My friends and I would like to find him and thank him properly for taking care of our possessions. Now, we've no quarrel with you, but you have some things that belong to us, and you know of Tholjir's line of work. If you could help us in these matters, we'd be very grateful."

If a roll is needed, I'm not sure whether Diplomacy or Intimidate is more applicable (though I'd prefer to be nice), but they have the same net modifier due to the size bonus: [roll0]

redzimmer
2014-06-23, 03:28 PM
Airn

Having a knife in his boot again makes him feel more complete. Eager to be on his way, Airn aids Kosjir in her transactions to speed along their return to the Inn.

Amanil
2014-06-23, 04:52 PM
Tarck (the younger) looks confused for a moment, then realisation seems to dawn on his face. "I told you, father," he turns to face the elder dwarf, who sighs.

"He was eager to sell," Tarck Drarl admits, a slight hint of uncertainty on his face as he appears to weigh up his options. "Tell you what, I'll sell for what it cost, and no need to go any further, right?" As he speaks he is collecting a couple weapons from the rack - Aishe's rapier included. All told, there is the rapier, two daggers and a small-sized spear, as if made for a child or halfling. "13 gold for the lot."

Math_Mage
2014-06-23, 05:35 PM
"A fair consideration. My thanks," Aishe said. She counted coins from her pouch and handed them to the younger Tarck, then accepted the weapons from the elder. The rapier and daggers found places easily enough, but she ended up with nowhere to put the spear. It wasn't long enough to serve as a walking stick, either. She held it awkwardly in her hand, and hoped she wouldn't stab anyone with it by accident. "Is there anything else you can tell me about the dwarf who sold you these?" she asked. "We know he's westward bound with heavy goods, but little else."

Apart from that, Aishe has nothing else to cover at the smithy, so she'll leave after the response and finish her shopping, less sword and dagger.

JBarca
2014-06-23, 08:07 PM
Following her shopping excursion, Tsera returns to the Hog, seeks out her fellow Liberators if they are present and joins them, otherwise picking a table close to a wall and waiting. When she is seen, she now is holding a carved wooden staff, appearing much more wizardly than before.

Sir Grave
2014-06-23, 08:24 PM
Bowan waits by the doorway until he sees Tsera, and joins her at her chosen table.
"That's a neat looking staff, Tsera. I can't wait to see it in action."

Amanil
2014-06-24, 02:40 AM
"His name's Tholjir, or at least he said it was. What sort of dwarf doesn't give his clan name when introducing himself, though? That was what got me suspicious." The dwarf shrugged as he handed over the weapons. "Had a bunch of friends with him, they didn't say much, but I heard them talk amongst themselves. They used his name as well, but I didn't catch the context. These old ears of mine aren't much for whispering, what with the daily hammering."

"They were heading into town when they left," Drarlson chimes in. "At least, they took a right at the end of the road, heading west. This must have been maybe an hour past dawn, daypast."

Amanil
2014-06-24, 03:43 AM
The group gathered back at the Roasted Hog, looking slightly less like peasants and more like... no, actually, most of them still had a strong resemblance to peasants. Weapons were few and far between, with the exception of Bowan, and armour even more so.

Brother Garrius arrived a few moments after the rest of the group, looking rather pleased with himself. "The Sun Father smiles upon us today, I can feel it." He reveals a handful of wooden discs, each with a loop of twine through a small hole and what looked like a smiling Sun carved into their surface. "I trust you'll take his blessing?" He offers them to each of the party.

You all recognise the items as holy symbols of Pelor. As it's probably not been made clear yet, in the given setting most people worship a pantheon rather than a specific deity; though many areas favour a given deity it's quite common to see some of the more devout commoners with a series of symbols on one cord.

Typically, those not tied to a specific deity will wear the symbols of their racial deity, the predominant deity in the region (in this case, Pelor) and the deity related to their trade.
In case you're worried, Kosjir's druidic powers aren't drawn from a deity but from nature itself. There's no conflict there.

Sir Grave
2014-06-24, 11:47 AM
"Oh! Uh, it would be an honor, friend Garrius!" Bowan accepted the holy symbol with a smile. "I accept Pelor's blessing."

"So... Ah... Since we're all here, I guess we should begin talking teamwork. Does anyone want to start?"

redzimmer
2014-06-24, 12:13 PM
Airn

What's one more? Airn thinks as he accepts the holy symbol.

Something tugs at the back of his mind, as he considers the symbol of Olidammara the beards left on his body. A hunch? Epiphany? Gas?

"After the dwarves attacked you," he says to the entire group, "did anyone else wake up wearing or carrying something that wasn't yours?"

He quickly regretted asking, as everyone looking now at him was quite disquieting.

Math_Mage
2014-06-24, 01:21 PM
"Rope, a sack on my head, and naught else," Aishe said, taking a symbol from Garrius. "Bandits aren't much for giving things away." She laid a pair of daggers on the table. "They sell, though. The smith had some of our weapons--these, my sword, and a spear that looks to be Kosjir's size. Named our bespectacled bandit leader, too--Tholjir, if the name means anything to you."

Sir Grave
2014-06-24, 04:15 PM
"Hmmm... I'm not sure if I've ever heard that name..."
I'd like to make an intelligence check for knowledge (local) to see if I've heard of him.
[roll0]

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-24, 04:49 PM
Kosjir eagerly grasps up the holy symbol to investigate it, turning it over and over nimbly in her small claws. Then looks up at Garrius with huge eyes. "Thankyou brother Garrius!"

She then turns her head as Airn speaks and shakes her head no at his question.

JBarca
2014-06-24, 05:13 PM
Tsera shakes her head and looks a bit confused at Airn's question, but quickly puts that behind her and accepts the holy symbol with a smile, placing it around her neck, and offers her own abilities.

"I've never actually been in a combat situation before, but I can tell you the abilities I have at my disposal first. As of now, I am able to put a small number of beings into a deep sleep for a minute. I can make one person into a friend, conditionally, for a short time, and can, as a last resort, throw blinding colors into the faces of aggressors, rendering them stunned. I have a number of other tricks at my disposal, too, but few are combat-oriented.
Sleep is, assuredly my most potent dweomer, though it has the unfortunate downside of requiring such focus and attention as to take more than five seconds to properly cast. I have no training in defending myself, either, and cannot wear armor. Finally, I have one scroll that should prove useful should a foe attempt any sort of mental possession on one of us."

As she speaks, Tsera seems most excited about her scroll, though she quickly calms down and lowers her eyes when she finishes speaking, appearing to be ashamed at her lengthy explanation.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-24, 05:28 PM
Kosjir listens attentively to Tsera while putting her nice new holy symbol of Pelor around her neck. It settles easily alongside the twined holly and mistletoe already there. She admires it for a moment before returning her attention to the party.

"I can tie any one down who would hurt us for some time, as long as there are plants to hear me...and heal a hurt, yes. Also, I can find magic...or call for friends to fight...but not for very long at all. They come, and then they poof just like that!"

Kosjir then turns to Aishe wondering what the girl could do, she thought she had seen some magic from her the other day, but she wasn't really sure.

"Oh, and I can throw rocks!" She adds hastily.

redzimmer
2014-06-24, 06:07 PM
Airn

Feeling a bit feeble compared the skills thus far announced, Airn struggles to find an acceptable way to list his particular skills.

"Er... I am capable in a fight, and I also have a knack for procuring goods and services... ahem. But I am more of a... troubleshooter."

When not asked to elaborate, he returns to his brooding silence.

Sir Grave
2014-06-24, 07:48 PM
"Right... I suppose I'm next. I'm not the kind of warrior to just go charging into combat. I stand my ground, And let my enemies come to me, using the reach of my Glaive to my advantage. I have very good reflexes...that is, that's what my father tells me... And I have, ah, a powerful downward swing. What I'm trying to say is... If you spellcasters need time to cast your spells, I can provide that time if you stay behind me."
He stopped, catching his breath from all the talking he gave. "I guess... I guess that's it."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-25, 12:14 AM
Thianne fingers the cord supporting the Holy Symbol, and puts it around her neck. Listening to the others and filing their information about fighting ability away, she makes her contribution. "I tend to resort to weapons only when I really need to."

"I much prefer this." Thianne gestures to herself, and holds her hands up. "Hands, legs, elbows, forearms...there are few parts of my body I can't use as a weapon. In addition to hitting things with the force of a club, my primary instructor spent weeks instructing me in applying pressure to points on our bodies that can disorient somebody for a pinch - just enough time for somebody else to get a well-placed blow in. He also stressed attacking from places of hiding, but my lessons were cut a bit short when he had to leave suddenly, so I admit I'm sort of eye-balling what he taught me for the time being."

"Might I also add that years as a dancer make my fighting style a thing of beauty, and intensely inconvenient for attackers?"

Amanil
2014-06-25, 04:18 AM
You've never heard of anyone called Tholjir.

Math_Mage
2014-06-25, 10:40 AM
Aishe perked up when Thianne mentioned dancing. "Oh, that sounds like fun! Some of my relatives were dancers. I was never all that good, but I would play for them.

"As for me..." She hesitated, nervously kicking at the ground with one foot. "I've only ever stage-fought. I know my way around sword and bow and sling, and I can disarm a man at five paces with a whip, but actually hurting someone is...different. I know we can't expect to catch the bandits without a fight, I just...don't know how useful I'll be in a real fight. I've some magic tricks, too, but they don't amount to much."

Sir Grave
2014-06-25, 03:42 PM
"Um... What about you, Garrius? You're a cleric, right?"

Amanil
2014-06-25, 03:47 PM
Garrius nods enthusiastically. "Yes, a humble servant of Pelor. Through his grace, I can channel his blessings. Though a novice compared to my brothers, I believe I have a knack for healing."

He looks a little awkward for a moment. "I will confess, though, I fear I will not be much use in combat." He does look a little on the scrawny side - he clearly has not had a life of manual labour. "Hopefully, it won't come to that."

"Perhaps we can discuss this more on the way? They have a fair headstart, and mid-morning is approaching."

Sir Grave
2014-06-25, 05:53 PM
Bowan nodded in agreement. "I was going to say the same thing. That is..."Bowan paused, looking to his friends. "That is, if everyone else is ready."

redzimmer
2014-06-25, 08:08 PM
Airn

Airn nods, hefts his quarterstaff and heads to the door. Were it up to him he would have gone after the dwarves the second he stopped bleeding.

JBarca
2014-06-25, 08:45 PM
Tsera looks a bit surprised at the sudden decision, but quickly collects herself and nods.

"Right. We definitely need to continue this discussion... I can see excellent potential synergies within our group."

She smiles slightly, and murmurs, almost whispers, "The Liberators. I'm... Excited."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-25, 11:42 PM
Thianne is surprised, as well, but cracks a smile at her companion's enthusiasm. Adventure was dangerous, and she'd only fought against the odd wandering hand or bar tough in her wilder days - sparring didn't count to her - but... so far, everything was to her liking! Not to mention, she suspected she would be learning a lot about Pelorite dogma with this group.

"Stretched legs stretch minds!" At this statement, Thianne purses her lips. "Ehh, well, it sounded better in my head... Let’s get those goods!" She tries her best to hide her embarrassment.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-26, 12:26 PM
"Oh yes! I am ready too!" Kosjir bounces a little in her chair, then with a slight hop gets up clearly ready to run off to adventure as fast as her little feet can take her.

Math_Mage
2014-06-26, 08:55 PM
"Aye, the road calls," Aishe said, sweeping the daggers off the table and holding them up. "Does anyone wish to claim these? No? All right." One went to her belt, the other her boot. She checked and rechecked her supplies on the way out of the Hog; one got the impression she was deliberately preoccupying herself.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-27, 10:34 AM
Just passing the time, also I wanted to have Kosjir somehow acknowledge that Aishe had found some of the parties old weapons so there's also that

While reclaiming her equipment Kosjir thanks Aishe for finding her old short spear and ties it to her pack as an extra.

"Now I have two!" She says cheerfully as she pulls on her pack and leans casually on the taller spear she had bought earlier in the morning.

Sir Grave
2014-06-27, 11:53 AM
Bowan collected his glaive on the way out, and took a deep breath. Iv'e dreamed of this, he thought to himself, setting his gaze to the west. He smiled.
"Well, this journey won't start itself, now will it?"

Amanil
2014-06-27, 12:27 PM
The road leading out of town is well-travelled - a steady stream of merchants, shoppers and tradesmen going about their daily business, with the occasional wagon passing through - but the gate is relatively quiet. It seems that most travellers set off early in the morning, and the Liberators have missed the "hour of rush".

Once outside the rolling countryside spreads out in all directions, with occasional clumps of woodland visible. The sky is clear and the sun shining.

Not being particularly heavily burdened, the group make good progress. A few miles out of town they see a horse-drawn cart further up the road heading the same way, with perhaps a half-dozen figures travelling with it. It seems heavily laden, and the Liberators steadily close the distance. They are clearly not dwarves, but the occasional glint of sunlight reflecting off of metal shows that they are probably well armoured.

They seem to notice the Liberators fairly promptly, and the group noticeably tightens their ranks.

redzimmer
2014-06-27, 12:40 PM
Airn

Switching his quaterstaff to his off-hand, Airn palms one of his daggers should the need arise.

He then raises the staff in greeting, hailing the armoured troupe.

"We are well within our legal right to be on this road and we are a chartered mercenary company. No sense skulking about.," he tells his companions.

Math_Mage
2014-06-27, 04:35 PM
"We're not skulking!" Aishe protested. "It's them who're nervous. Hello there!" She waved a slim brown hand, pitching her voice to reach the group ahead. "Fair travels to you."

JBarca
2014-06-27, 06:50 PM
Catching the glint of metal, Tsera slows her pace a bit, ensuring that she is at the rear of her party, and directly behind someone... thicker than her. She does, however, smile politely at the other group.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-27, 07:50 PM
Kosjir nervously eyes the wagon ahead of them, and then decides to join Tsera near the back as well.

"Hey, maybe they're just traveling too yes?" She whispers up after her companion while wringing the shaft of her spear.

Sir Grave
2014-06-27, 07:51 PM
Bowan kept his Glaive over his shoulder, non threatening.We... Uh... We're from Harlskeep!"

Amanil
2014-06-27, 08:12 PM
As you approach, the group seems relatively indifferent to you. They have weapons to their sides, but none drawn. Now closer, it's possible to see that they are predominantly human adults - mostly quite young - with two elves in their number.

They are all armoured in chain, and one waves back. "Hail, travellers," he speaks, relatively warmly. "Good journey to you." He is clearly not overly interested in chatting. The road is wide enough that you'd be able to pass single-file past the cart, with room to spare.

You're not quite sure what it is, but something about these men seems... official.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-27, 11:59 PM
Wishing to keep confrontation to a minimum, Thianne nods a greeting to the other group's spokesperson, but remains inwardly cautious...things are, after all, not always as they seem!

...she takes mental notes of their equipment. Chain armour. With enough blunt force, one could do some serious damage. Her axe would be little use, if it came to it.

Sir Grave
2014-06-28, 10:08 AM
Bowan looked closer at the company, then stopped. "Say, you wouldn't happen to be part of the town guard, would you? You look fairly well armed."

Amanil
2014-06-28, 02:17 PM
The spokesperson smirks a little at Bowan's question. "I don't know, lads, are we the town guard?" This gets a chuckle from a few of the others. The man stands to attention and gives an over-exaggerated salute, the chain links of his armour clinking as he does so. "Corporal Linus Tanner, of the 9th King's Regiment."

The over-enthusiasm stops. "Now get a move on, we've got places to be." He waves you on.

The cover on the cart isn't secured entirely, and you notice what look like a variety of polearms as a breeze flaps at the tarpaulin.

Sir Grave
2014-06-28, 02:45 PM
Bowan went red with embarrassment. What the hell is wrong with you?They were wearing chainmail! How could they possibly be guards?!
Bowan slouched a little more, and kept moving.

Math_Mage
2014-06-28, 05:51 PM
"Oh, it's good to see the King's men out here keeping the peace," gushed Aishe, all innocence. "We've heard awful things--why, there's news of dwarven bandits preying on honest folk 'twixt here and Davven!" She looked up at the guard wide-eyed. "Have you seen any such? Ought we fear for our lives?"

Well, I'm just having a little fun, and so is Aishe--wattaham. Diplomacy? [roll0]

Amanil
2014-06-28, 07:25 PM
The corporal strokes his clean-shaven chin. "Don't know about dwarves - though banditry draws all folk, I s'pose - but last I heard there were some goblins on this stretch. You keep an eye out, they like to attack at night."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-06-28, 07:47 PM
Thianne arches her brows at Aishe's questions, and begins a sigh...until some truly life-saving information is given. She suppresses a chuckle at her companion's display, and fakes a sneeze for good measure.

Math_Mage
2014-06-28, 10:16 PM
"Goblins! Those wretched green beasts. We will be careful. Thank you, sir!" Aishe bobbed and turned to move past the wagon, with only a twinkle in her green eyes betraying her mirth.

Amanil
2014-06-30, 04:20 AM
The Liberators moved on, soon leaving the wagon behind as the road started through a wooded area. The vegetation was light, particularly near the road itself. The trail here was a little more rough, with occasional patches lacking in paving, and some damaged slabs present.

As noon arrived, Garrius spoke up.

"Might we stop for a brief salutation and some noontide victuals?" he asked, hopefully, buffing the copper of his sun-like holy symbol with his sleeve.

Sir Grave
2014-06-30, 11:11 AM
Hmm...I know I wouldn't mind. With all the walking we're doing, we should break for a moment anyway."He looks to the rest of the group. Uh... everyone else okay with that?"

Math_Mage
2014-06-30, 12:11 PM
"'Of course. The ghost hour is not for travelling," Aishe said. She unrolled her blanket and sat down on it, already holding a handful of nuts and dried fruit.

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-30, 03:05 PM
"Yeees....My feets hurt!" Kosjir exclaims, she is quite happy to come to rest and start digging in her own pack in search of travel rations. Before she finds anything though Slithers starts to tickle her ear with his tongue.

"AHHH! Ahh.. ooh, I forgot you were there Slithers! Do you want down?" She looks around embarrassed about having yelped, then carefully takes Slithers and places him on the ground.

"Don't go too far, yes? ... And look out for meanies!" She tells the snake as it wonders off the path.

Finally she sits down and finds the rations she bought in town, and starts to eat them.

"It's like eating rocks...." She mumbles to herself while she munches.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-01, 12:14 AM
With it being decided that a rest was in order, Thianne begins on her rations. Mostly preserved vegetables. Of course, she liked lamb, but she wasn't about to go out of her way to locate lamb-based rations at the market...

Still. "Wish there were some lamb nearby..." The half-elf thrusts her arm forward, and is rewarded with a satisfying "pop!".

Amanil
2014-07-01, 04:14 AM
Majority vote, so stopping for lunch. Democracy is the future, people. On a more serious note; in general, if everyone so far is in favour of an action then once it hits the majority I'll wait a little while to give others a chance to say something, but may move on with it (assuming I don't see a reason for it to massively conflict with a character's dogma.
Garrius looks quietly pleased and proceeds to clear a small area just off to one side of the road - about 3 feet across - such that he has room for a rollmat that he takes from his pack. He lays out a small plate of bread and hard cheese, then spends a moment looking up through the loose foliage to find the direction of the sun and aligning himself in that direction.

He looks around a little expectantly as he starts a quiet prayer.

"We are blessed, as the Sun Father blesses us; oh Shining One, may your light illuminate the path before us." He pauses, as if listening for something.

"We are found, as the Sun Father guides us; oh Shining One, may your light drive back darkness."

You know, for whatever reason, that the typical response to a refrain of prayer to Pelor is "Your light <verbs> us", where <verb> is whatever followed "Sun Father" in the refrain.
Excuse the religious cheese; I feel a need to indoctrinate you all as well as give you a hatred of dwarves.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-01, 06:57 AM
While Garrius prays, Kosjir walks over and sits near him (but not too close) and watches with curiosity.

Math_Mage
2014-07-01, 01:51 PM
Aishe murmured the words of response. All gods deserved courtesy, at least.

Finishing her food, she produced her flute and began idly stringing notes together, light and playful, last night's tavern song still on her mind.

Sir Grave
2014-07-01, 05:34 PM
Bowan laid his glaive before his feet and took a knee. "We are safe, as the Sun Father protects us; oh Shining One, may your light preserve us... and those we love and hold dear..."
Bowan says this without much pause, unlike any other sentence he's uttered, like he's made this prayer many times before.
He eats quietly.

JBarca
2014-07-02, 04:53 PM
Tsera sits down alongside Garrius solemnly and speaks the proper responses to the prayer quietly, but without much in the way of fervor, though she certainly is more enthusiastic about the "guiding" aspect of the prayer. She then produces her rations and munches thoughtfully on them for a bit, clearly ready to continue marching whenever the others are.

Amanil
2014-07-02, 05:00 PM
You are suddenly aware of at least one animal, which looks to be a wolf, moving perhaps a hundred feet away in the sparse undergrowth.
You are suddenly aware of movement perhaps a hundred feet away in the sparse undergrowth.
You hear movement a distance away, further off the road. You are not sure what it is, but a twig just snapped suddenly.
You hear movement a distance away, further off the road. You are not sure what it is, but a twig just snapped suddenly.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-03, 12:54 AM
After saying her recitation, Thianne continues with her meal. Then, she catches something out of the corner of her eye. It's a distance away...

So as not to attract attention to this something, which looks too much like a wolf for her comfort, she does not scream and wave her arms, but instead calmly says, "About one hundred feet away... I think I see a wolf." Inhalation, exhalation. That's the key to keeping calm. Having armed companions, one of which was an ally of the birds and the beasts of the world, helped. "Kosjir?" Thianne looks to the (literally) naturally talented kobold.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-03, 01:33 AM
Kosjir noticed the faint movement in the distance as well, although she couldn't be sure what it was. About the same time as she snapped her head to focus on whatever it was Thianne calmly mentioned that there looked to be a wolf nearby.

"Ahh, it's never "a" wolf..." Kosjir replies, now looking around for others.

Shall I roll a knowledge nature or something? I know enough more than most people about animals that I'm not really sure what is and isn't common knowledge. Wolves are amongst the animals Kosjir is at least somewhat familiar with though.

spot [roll0]

knowledge (nature) [roll1]

Amanil
2014-07-03, 02:40 AM
I've been making spot rolls for you; at the moment you can't see whatever it is.
You have seen the grey dogs that roam the forests - you know that they're pack animals and normally unlikely to attack a group unless they have the element of surprise or equal numbers. They have been known to follow travellers throughout the day, only attacking once the sun has set.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-03, 11:11 AM
Kosjir frowns..."I can't see anything though-Wolf are sneaky, they want to eat, but we maybe too much trouble for them now, yes."

Kosjir shuffles slightly, taking her sling from her belt and loading a bullet into it, "We should keep our claws ready."

Kosjir is using the better part of discretion here, since she can't see, and doesn't know how many are out there

Sir Grave
2014-07-03, 04:18 PM
Bowan stands, picking up his glaive, and stances. "Spellcasters, stay close," he whispered. "I can repel their attacks."
Bowan's breaths hard. While trained for this, he has never experienced battle. He watches the bushes for any sign of movement, his anxiety elevated during the calm quiet before the fury.

JBarca
2014-07-03, 05:02 PM
Tsera's eyes open wide, and she slowly stands, looking in the direction of the sound as her allies speak. She takes a few slow steps to place herself a few paces behind Bowan, and does her best to control her rapid breathing.

Math_Mage
2014-07-05, 02:55 PM
Aishe tensed; a note went awry, and she hurriedly put her flute away. "For though howls pierce the night/And fill our hearts with fear/Still we seek the dawn, and persevere," she quoted, forcing a grin. "These dinili animals don't even know the right time to hunt!"

Inspire Competence, +1 to everyone's atk/dmg rolls and saves against charm/fear. I'm sorry for being slow; I both had a busy couple days and hadn't actually figured out exactly how I would flavor my abilities.

Amanil
2014-07-05, 03:43 PM
As the Liberators assemble, a wolf - ragged fur, snarling mouth and all - moves slowly from the light undergrowth. It lets forth a howl, which is echoed to the party's left and right. The beasts move in for the kill.

No surprise round, though no one can see the wolves to the side just yet. The wolf to the front is 90 feet from the front of the party. Order of play is:

Bowan
Airn
Thianne
Wolves
Tsera
Kosjir
Aishe

The wolf looks hungry - ribs are showing, and its fur is mangy.

Sir Grave
2014-07-05, 04:28 PM
Bowan meets the gaze of the hungry wolf. His whole body tenses. His first impulse is to charge headlong at the enemy.
Be still. Let foes come to you.
The words of his mother brings him back to a meditative focus. Hold my ground.His awareness is not to the wolf, but to everything around him: the wolf, his friends, the distance... even the sound of howling from all around him. He remained still.

Bowan will remain in place, readying an action to strike the first target that comes in reach of his glaive.
EDIT: I'd also like to know when foes move through my threatened area so I can make attacks of opportunity.

Amanil
2014-07-06, 06:02 AM
Behold! A poorly drawn Excel map appears!

http://i.imgur.com/0B40qqz.png

Brown things are tree trunks, green stuff is undergrowth such that it would impede movement (half movement speed through them, and also provide 20% concealment for each 5 foot).

Ar is Airn, As is Aishe. Rest should be obvious.

Amanil
2014-07-07, 09:36 AM
Airn looks around, and points to the group's right. "Another one, over there!" His indication makes seeing the stalking creature easier.

There is a wolf just behind the green area on the right side of the map.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-07, 04:13 PM
Thianne takes down the last of her meal before rising to her feet. Three of the beasts. Great... But despite things, Airn's sharp eyes and quick tongue may well have saved lives. She wasn't as aggressive as her instructor, so she opted to let them come to her. As soon as one of the wolves did, Thianne let one quick, sharp kick go.

Tactical
One strike on the first wolf to land near Thianne.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Amanil
2014-07-07, 06:43 PM
The wolf to the front advances, slowly. He gets to about 50 feet short of the party. Another wolf emerges to each of the group's sides and advance at a similar pace, snarling all the while.

You can see that the wolves all look to be incredibly lean, with ribs showing. Even without detailed knowledge of the specifics of wolves, you'd probably say they hadn't eaten for a good while.
http://i.imgur.com/8lICieK.png

Tsera
Kosjir
Aishe
Garrius
Bowan
Airn
Thianne
Wolves

That moment when you realise that the next character isn't around this week. Also, put Garrius in the initiative order. He rolled so badly I almost forgot about him.
Tsera looks a little alarmed. She appears to be mumbling a few incantations in preparation to cast a spell should it be needed.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-08, 12:15 PM
Kosjir looks about to spot the other wolves Airn has pointed out and she makes a sad sound.

"Very very desperate...and sick..."

She looks about trying to keep an eye on the wolves. She readies her sling to fire on the first wolf who comes into range

Are you breaking things up into rounds, or just going through the order fluidly? If my readied action can go off though I'll roll for it. If not disregard.

attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
crit
[roll2]

In Kosjirs mind these wolves are beyond saving, and an indication that either the balance of the land is wrong, or the wolves are very unsuccessful/weak. She is being merciful...and is likely to want to dispose of the remains once everything is said and done. Also probably going to obsessively want to wash herself after being exposed to mangy things...

Math_Mage
2014-07-08, 04:57 PM
Aishe flinched as a stone whizzed by her ear. Drawing her rapier, she flourished it outrageously at the nearest wolf. "Don't make me use this!" she shouted, hoping ridiculously to scare off the creatures.

Readying an attack on the first wolf to enter melee range. Since the wolf on the right is 50' away from Kosjir, and a sling's range increment is 50', I assumed Kosjir attacked it.

Readied attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

Amanil
2014-07-08, 05:12 PM
Kosjir's sling bullet flies true, striking the closest wolf to her who lets out a yelp.

Garrius seems to be readying his weapon - a mace - one hand touching the holy symbol about his neck reassuringly.

Sir Grave
2014-07-08, 09:33 PM
Bowan now clearly sees three wolves, seeking to surround them. If he breaks his position, he'd leave Kosjir and Tsera vulnerable. He holds his position, ready to repell the wolves.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-09, 04:35 AM
Thianne steadies herself some more, readying a blow...

Tactical
Another ready. To speed the process, rolls!

Amanil
2014-07-09, 05:19 AM
Airn similarly readies himself, quarterstaff raised.

As the wolf nearest to Aishe moves in - seemingly with a slight limp - Airn steps next to Aishe and swings at it, just as Aishe thrusts with her short sword. Only Aishe makes contact, with the wolf dodging Airn's swing. His fangs find flesh, grabbing at Aishe's ankle and off-balancing her. Before she knows it, the world goes green as she realises she's looking up at the foliage with a wolf at her feet, blood oozing from both the wound in the wolf's shoulder and Aishe's leg.

Take 3 damage, and you're prone. (I did the relevant opposed rolls for you - the 1 you rolled made up for your musical success :smallwink:)

As an aside, I'm taking account of the inspire courage modifiers for anyone who misses them out, so no need to remind anyone - unless you feel like letting them know how much you're contributing while laying down on the job.
The opposite wolf also approaches, teeth bared as it snaps at Thianne, whose fist slams into the side of its head, knocking the fanged muzzle to one side and dodging the blow.

The first wolf that was visible approaches, though not close enough for Bowan to strike. This one is noticeably bulkier than the other two, but his ribs are clearly visible. Though he continues to move in, he does not get close enough to lash out.

Tsera, seeing that two of the wolves are relatively close, but that Airn and Aishe are right amongst them, hesitates.

http://i.imgur.com/dNHJkif.png

Initiatives adjusted for readied actions (I think). For the sake of simplicity, assume Tsera is dilly-dallying about. I could have her charge heroically in, but I doubt JBarca would like me too much when they got back from camping. In other words: Kosjir, you're up.

Tsera
Kosjir
Garrius
Bowan
Aishe
Airn
Thianne
Wolves

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-09, 12:02 PM
"shanin vur skjalli vur shio youwei achuak, nymuer ve! confn ekess sia aso!" Kosjir grasps at the holly and mistletoe around her neck with one hand and holds the other out in front of her palm up, claws wiggling.

I decided to have kosjir do her spells in draconic, makes more sense that way.

Grass and trees and all things green, hear me! Come to my aid!

Was hoping to sit on the spell for a while but I don't like the idea of the "bigger" wolf getting a flank in. So Kosjir casts entangle with the center some distance away so that it doesn't hinder her allies.(also I can't believe how big entangle is, for some reason I thought it was smaller, but after looking up the radius for 40 feet in the DMG, wow.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/cobaltstarfire/radius.png

Amanil
2014-07-09, 04:57 PM
Vines and small plants snaked towards the two wolves, lacing about the legs of the smaller one who yelped. The larger jumped to one side as they attempted to grasp him, and growled in surprise as they wrapped about one paw, but he mostly shook them off.

Larger one made the save, smaller one didn't.
Garrius, seeing Thianne literally punching a wolf in the face, musters up some courage and moves to strike at it. He misses miserably, however.

Not redrawing the map, but Garrius is now in the square to Thianne's left.

Sir Grave
2014-07-10, 09:48 AM
Bowan, seeing that the wolves have avoided his reach, and seeing Aishe in distress, Takes action. He moves forward behind Airn. "Airn, move!" He then thrusts forward, past Airn and at the wolf...

Moving 5 ft forward, 10 feet to the right, attacking the wolf on Airn and Aishe. (Rolls, do not fail...)
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]
Crit Chance [roll2]
Also taking attacks of opportunity to any wolf that moves in my area.

Amanil
2014-07-10, 10:32 AM
The wolf that Bowan strikes at whimpers pathetically, tugging at the vines about its legs as the blade slices deeply into its shoulder. It collapses, twitching slightly, though the plants do not release their hold.

Added Aishe's musical boost to your rolls. Also, keep in mind that the largest wolf is in your reach now, so will not provoke an AoO if it moves 5 ft. closer to you and attacks, but will do so if it does pretty much anything else.
Not at my PC with the map at the moment, hopefully it's clear where everyone is. I'll redraw on the wolves' next turn (if they last that long).

Math_Mage
2014-07-10, 09:04 PM
Aishe hissed in pain as she dragged herself upright, trying not to put weight on her injured leg. "Thanks," she said vaguely, not sure if she was talking to Bowan, Kosjir, Airn, or the overgrown plants. She hobbled over to Tsera, in no man's land between the two fights, trying to muster the nerve to help one or the other.

Stand, move two squares to the left.

Amanil
2014-07-11, 07:51 AM
Airn, now backed up by Bowan, and with one of the wolves efficiently dropped, gains some confidence and moves next to the larger wolf. He strikes at it, but seems to not commit entirely to the swing, focussing more on his footing and keeping an eye on the snapping jaws. He looks over his left shoulder at Bowan, hoping he's able to use his distraction.

For your interest, in game terms he's closed the gap between him and the wolf and is aiding Bowan's attack. I figure I can spell that out, as if his player were playing him you'd know that. Map to be updated once the wolves have gone (i.e. after Thianne).

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-11, 04:32 PM
Thianne pulls her fist back, and follows her artful dodge up with two swift kicks at the wolf.

Tactical
Flurry of Blows against the wolf.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]
Damage: [roll2], [roll3]

Amanil
2014-07-11, 10:00 PM
The wolf by Thianne yelps as a kick glances across its head, though it snarls and goes for a bite, barely missing Thianne's leg. Meanwhile, the wolf that Airn is distracting is certainly distracted; he takes the bait, jumping at Airn's throat. With a look of surprise, Airn slumps to the ground, wolf standing on his body, bloody maw gaping and growling at Bowan.

Tsera, seeing the brutal attack of Airn, moves forwards and gestures at the wolf, a bright cascade of scintillating colours shooting from her outstretched hand. The wolf looks confused, suddenly quiet, and blinks a few times. The weeds and shrubs grasp at the wolf further, binding it firmly as it seems confused. They leave Airn alone, however.

You cast Color Spray.
http://i.imgur.com/4yDtlz8.png

Airn is down in the same square as the wolf. For the sake of clarity, it attacked, then took a 5-foot step forwards.

Kosjir
Garrius
Bowan
Aishe
Airn
Thianne
Wolves
Tsera

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-12, 02:05 PM
Kosjir gasps at the sight of the wolf ripping Airns throat out, then she lets out a low hiss as she shifts to get a clear shot at it. (moving diagonally up and left) Her eyes are hard as he slings another stone at the wolf.

I just realized I need to ask about the weather, is it bright enough that she should be dazzled? I wasn't taking that into account last roll...I will this time.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Crit hit/miss
[roll2]

Sir Grave
2014-07-12, 02:21 PM
Posting my turn now, as I might not be able to later...

"NO!"
Bowan swings his glaive in a horizontal arc, attempting to finish the wolf off. Oh, gods... he's dead... He's dead and I let it happen...
He turns to the cleric. "GARRIUS!"

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit Chance [roll2]

Amanil
2014-07-13, 06:03 AM
Though it's noon, there's plenty of overhead cover at the moment so it's not direct sunlight.
Kosjir's bullet went wide, as she had to be cautious not to hit Bowan.

Glaives are reach weapons, so you can't hit the wolf if it's next to you. I'll allow you to step away, just let me know what direction you want to go in.
Bowan's glaive sliced into the wolf's flesh - a solid hit, and the wolf wobbles slightly in its confused state. It doesn't seem to attempt to dodge the blow at all.

As far as I can tell, your post was at the correct time, Sir Grave (though I guess when you were writing it cobaltstarfire hadn't written hers?). Anyway, Aishe is up next. Advanced warning, I'm off for a few days doing some touristy stuff - leaving on Monday, back on Thursday at some point. I may be able to post on occasion while I'm away, but it's far from guaranteed.

Sir Grave
2014-07-13, 09:40 AM
Glaives are reach weapons, so you can't hit the wolf if it's next to you. I'll allow you to step away, just let me know what direction you want to go in.
Bowan's glaive sliced into the wolf's flesh - a solid hit, and the wolf wobbles slightly in its confused state. It doesn't seem to attempt to dodge the blow at all.

Only way I see is 5 feet back.

Math_Mage
2014-07-13, 06:48 PM
Garrius still has to go, but...
Aishe stared, mouth working, her leg forgotten. "He...he...he..." she stammered, not yet comprehending what had happened. But Bowan's shout broke her paralysis, and she, too, moved to strike the befuddled wolf.

Move one square up, attack the wolf.

Amanil
2014-07-14, 03:33 AM
Oops, knew I forgot someone. Let's pretend that Garrius was delaying because of being in shock, shall we? It actually makes more sense, too; what's Garrius going to do while there's a wolf standing over Airn?
Aishe's additional attack had the wolf collapse with an almost relieved sigh, his body laying atop Airn. Garrius, shaking himself from the shock of the sudden attack on his companion, moved to assist. He warily kept an eye on the wolf he was engaged with as he backed off - Thianne seemed to have things covered - and moved next to Airn's fallen form.

Withdraw action, moving such that he is to the left of Airn. Thianne, you're up. Enjoy going toe-to-toe with that wolf.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-14, 06:17 AM
Broad kick, glancing kick, sidestep...

Thianne gasps at the death. She launches two more kicks at the wolf, grunting loudly as her feet do all her meaningful communication for her.

Tactical
Flurry of Blows!

Attack: 1d20-1, [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], [roll2]

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-14, 06:20 AM
Dice Roller Dumb
[roll0]

First attack roll in the Flurry of Blows.

Amanil
2014-07-14, 03:46 PM
Thianne's kicks went wide, the wolf nimbly dodging the half-elf's attacks. It lunges in return, grabbing at an outstretched leg, teeth scraping along her unprotected shin.

Only 2 damage, Thianne was not tripped.

JBarca
2014-07-15, 12:56 PM
Tsera's eyes are open wide as she continues to take in the scene unfolding around her. She steps back, reaching into a pouch to pull forth a small leather strip and a stone, but hesitates, seemingly unsure what to do with them for a moment. Her eyes dart to the bloody mess near her, though she does her best to avoid staring.

5-foot step back ("down" on the map, I suppose), draw sling. Ready an action to use it on the remaining wolf should it no longer be engaged in melee with a party member.

Rolls, if necessary: Attack - [roll0]
Crit - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-16, 07:37 PM
Kosjir a little frustrated with the situation switches to her spear.

Uh sorry I don't have much to put here, I don't really want to waste anymore ammo trying to fire into combat, so I'm getting my spear out....although with any luck combat will be done before it's Kosjirs turn anyway. :p

Sir Grave
2014-07-17, 12:11 PM
Bowan, desperate to end the fight, lost his resolve. He gave a loud cry as he charged the remaining wolf, swinging down...

Charging the last wolf. (+2 attack, -2 AC) Power Attack (-5 attack, +5 damage)
Attack [roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Crit [roll2]
EDIT: Ermahgerd, GLEHV!:smallyuk:

Math_Mage
2014-07-17, 02:13 PM
Aishe warily circled the fight, hoping not to attract the wolf's attention. Bowan's wild charge gave her the distraction she needed, and she slipped in behind the wolf to stab at its hindquarters.

Two squares diagonally up and left, two squares left, one square diagonally down and left, to flank with Thianne.

Haha, those are the three worst naturals I've rolled this campaign.

Amanil
2014-07-17, 02:30 PM
I'm back! Map to follow if it's relevant, but we'll see.
Garrius knelt down by Airn, already shaking his head. It didn't take his training to see that Airn was beyond help.

The wolf, vying for survival over aggression, attempts to flee. Bowan's glaive narrowly misses it - his powerful strike still throwing him off-balance - Aishe's blade nicks its flesh, and Thianne gives it a solid kick in the rear as it goes, but it manages to get away with a series of whimpering yelps.

As none of you have a move speed such that you'd be able to catch it, unless anyone intervenes it withdraws into the woods.

Sir Grave
2014-07-17, 03:27 PM
Bowan breathes, making sure the wolf doesn't return. He rushes over to Airn and Garrius. He could be okay... Please be okay...
Bowan looked at Garrius, not wanting to see what was clearly evident. "Garrius! Is he... W-will he..."
He stopped himself, seeing Garrius' expression. He's seen that look before.
"... he didn't."
He bowed his head,solemnly. I did this...

Math_Mage
2014-07-17, 10:41 PM
Aishe sagged as the wolf disappeared into the undergrowth. With the rush of action fading, her leg hurt abominably. There was a waterskin in her pack, left on her blanket by the road; she turned to fetch it--and saw Airn. Glassy eyes, pale skin, and his throat...Aishe's gorge rose, and she turned away, her free arm wrapped around her stomach, her labored breathing the only sound she could hear. Gradually, her nausea abated.

"We should bury him," she said after a while, voice muffled. "Otherwise it is prikaza, ill luck."

Amanil
2014-07-18, 10:30 AM
Garrius still seemed fairly shaken about the experience, but shook his head at the mention of burying. "He died in service to Pelor, Pelor will accept him. Gather some dry wood, I'll see about preparing him." He starts arranging Airn into a less splayed pose.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-18, 11:31 AM
Kosjir goes over to Garrius, and looks down at Airn.

"I- I can help, yes? He called me friend..." She says sadly. "I don't know many without scales that call me friend until now."

Sir Grave
2014-07-18, 11:44 AM
Bowan silently gathered wood. He didn't really know Airn all too well, only developing the first inklings of companionship. But it was enough.

He remembered his father returning home. How exited to hear a new story from him and his mother about their adventure. He then remembered seeing his mother's glaive in his father's hand, and him looking to the ground as he walked. His excitement quickly turned to concern. Mother?
But Bowan knew.
He snapped back into focus, bringing the wood he found to Garrius. He remained silent.

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-18, 04:31 PM
Thianne almost tasks off after the wolf, but decodes to let it go. It would die soon enough.

She says nothing, just assists in grave-preparation however she can. She knew a bit about Pelorite burial rites... Left the more appropriate aspects to Garrius, but those that a follower of Celestian could do without offending Pelorites, she did.

Math_Mage
2014-07-18, 06:19 PM
Aishe grimaced as she added her sticks to the pile. Mourning gaje by gaje custom should not be strange--many Pelorite funeral ceremonies must be performed every day...but it felt strange. No sheets, no candles, no feast, no coffin. There was no way to provide all of that, of course, but it wasn't even a hedge burial. Ai-...the bod-...he would scatter to the winds, instead of returning to the soil. How would he find his way to the afterlife? Would he become muló and haunt them, pale and dead-eyed?

She shivered, remembering another face. The living could haunt as surely as the dead.

Maybe she could provide something, at least. She went looking for wildflowers.

JBarca
2014-07-18, 09:08 PM
Tsera stands in a daze, aware that she is not needed for wood gathering. She stares, almost blankly, at the corpse for several long minutes, before seeming to come to a decision.

She moves her hands in a complex pattern and mutters a few words, before pointing at the body reverently, watching as the blood comes free of the skin and fabric, closing her eyes as she moves on to cleaning up other messes on her former companion. She sighs sadly as she finishes, and waits for the priest to continue.

Cast Prestidigitation, use it to clean up the body as much as possible, removing dirt/blood/released bowels/etc.

Amanil
2014-07-19, 05:34 PM
Those searching return in short order, able to find the relevant materials. Garrius seems thankful for Tsera's ministrations and gives the relevant guidance to Kosjir in how to go about things, and proceeds to arrange the small pyre.

"The flames bring his soul to the Sun Father, and purify his body of any worldly sin. It ensures his spirit will remain at rest, untroubled by any evil that might interfere with his slumber."

He seems incredibly uncertain about what to do with Airn's possessions - limited in number though they may be.

"Does he have a family, that you know of?" he asks the others.

Math_Mage
2014-07-20, 12:23 PM
"We're all strangers, or nearly so," Aishe noted quietly. "And he was...reserved. No, he named no family to me."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-20, 04:42 PM
The only answer Thianne can give to Garrius is a shake of her head. She ponders when would be an appropriate time to tell him how to handle her, should she die.

Sir Grave
2014-07-20, 05:10 PM
Bowan shook his head as well, almost looking ashamed that he didn't.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-20, 05:37 PM
"He never said anything to me..."

Kosjir says quietly while she focuses on following Garrius' instructions.

"He seemed, lonely, and angry at his past."

I'm pretending that Kosjir observed these things during the time she spent shopping, and sharing a room with him, dunno how accurate her observations are, since I'm just gleaning things from some of his internal dialogue. I hope that's ok.

Amanil
2014-07-21, 03:44 AM
"Then... do we burn them too, or do they fall into our possession?" Garrius scratched at his chin. "Of the ceremonies I've been present for, there has always been a family," he confessed. "Does anyone feel strongly either way?"

That's fine; of everyone present Kosjir is the only one who really had much of a conversation with him.

Sir Grave
2014-07-21, 02:35 PM
Bowan, who's eyes have been staring down the whole time, hesitates before speaking.
"... I will keep them... for whatever family he may have had..."
He looks straight at Garrius. "Let me be the one to give it to them, when this is all over."

Math_Mage
2014-07-21, 06:51 PM
"Surely a keepsake would suffice for such a task," Aishe said, frowning. "Give the dead his due--leave the marimé things for the fire."

JBarca
2014-07-21, 08:59 PM
Tsera nods along with Bowan's comment, but hesitates when Aishe speaks.

"I know not of his family, but surely they would be welcoming of any items of value, both sentimental and material? It seems a disheartening waste to burn goods, if you ask me."

Tsera's eyes widen as she finishes, and she glances at Aishe before lowering her eyes to the ground.

"I, um, I of course mean no disrespect to your beliefs, friend. I only seek the most pragmatic solution, I am sorry if I am speaking of things of which I have no knowledge..."

Math_Mage
2014-07-21, 10:39 PM
"Aye, 'tis roma custom I speak. But what sentiment attaches to this morning's purchases?" Aishe asked, gesturing at their equipment. "That which family might value..." She faltered, uncertain. Who was she to say what family valued, much less gaje strangers? She shook her head, feeling cold and tired. "Ai! I should not force my ways on you. I will take nothing; but do what you will."

SCARY WIZARD
2014-07-22, 02:24 AM
Thianne nods at Aishe's words. "It might be best to give them a cut of whatever we make. I've little use for money and baubles outside of filling my belly and keeping warm, so I'd be more than happy to do so."

Amanil
2014-07-22, 03:38 AM
Garrius seems happy with the suggestion of holding on to Airn's equipment for the time being - whether they are able to find his family and give it to them or to perhaps later give to the poor. "There is likely little of sentiment in it, you are right, and he shall not go empty-handed," Garrius placed both the wooden Pelor symbol and the other one found about Airn's neck in his hands, closing them gently.

"Does anyone wish to say anything before he is given to the gods?"

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-22, 06:25 AM
Kosjir turns her nose up to the sky "He is already where he will be." she continues to squint up into the clouds.

JBarca
2014-07-23, 03:53 PM
Tsera glances at the others before staring at the ground for several long seconds.

She starts to speak, hesitates, then returns her eyes to the ground, shaking her head slightly.

Math_Mage
2014-07-23, 04:54 PM
Aishe bowed her head, and whispered:

"They laid him on a bed of flow'rs,
And sunlight fell for one last hour
Upon his still and silent form;

Then softly did his soul take wing,
And soar beyond their reckoning
Into another world, new-born.

Yet still they grieved, those left behind,
For death's true toll: the ties that bind."

Amanil
2014-07-24, 04:08 AM
Garrius smiled sadly at Aishe's words though looks a little quizzically at Kosjir's, waiting a moment in case anyone else wanted to add anything. Seeing nothing but sombre looks, he picks up the torch he'd prepared.

"May your flames cleanse him, your light guide him, and your warmth comfort those left behind," he says, simply, lowering the torch to ignite the edges of the rudimentary pyre. The wood caught, orange tongues of flame quickly growing as they ran along the dry fuel, building until they encompassed Airn's body.

The pyre would burn for a good while, and Garrius looked up at the sun through the trees, high in the sky. "The zenith has passed - we would do well to be on our way."

Airn's equipment:

2 daggers
Quarterstaff
Leather armour
Backpack
2 days' rations
Flint and steel
Torch
Sack
A set of what look like small tools
Wooden holy symbol of Pelor (burned)
Another wooden holy symbol (burned)
1 gold piece, 1 silver piece, 9 copper pieces
As you've undoubtedly guessed, they're thieves' tools.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-24, 09:01 AM
Kosjir gives one last nod to Airns remains and then to Garrius then turns to the rest of the party.

"Ahh, uh...those wolfs had er...lekil...hmm. She pauses a moment to ponder what she wants to say "Bad skin very sick skin, yes." She looks at Thianna in particular, then Garrius"Don't let it go to long without washing...very much washing"

She wrings her tiny claws a little bit, unconsciously scratching her palms and wrists.

It's not actually a big deal...unless Amanil wants to make something of it, I'm just running with what I know from Kosjir role play wise. What the wolves had probably isn't even the kind that humans can get, which she wouldn't know. But I do imagine it is a big deal to folks who have scales like Kosjir.

Amanil
2014-07-24, 10:00 AM
As you're paying particular attention to the state of the wolves: they were on the verge of starvation, and the largest of them seemed to have a prior injury to its back, though you can't tell if it was made by fang, claw or blade.

Most of their gauntness would be an expected effect of the lack of body fat, but there's probably some underlying general nastiness as well. Essentially, these animals were hungry, sick and desperate.

Sir Grave
2014-07-24, 11:24 AM
Bowan stares at the fire for a long time before turning to the rest of his companions.
"I..." he struggles to get the words out. "...I didn't know Airn. He was our travelling companion, and that's as far as it went..." He looked to the ground. "But... I failed to protect him. This... this is why I am here, and I failed to fulfill my role as... as a guardsman."
He looks up at the rest of the Liberators. Stern.
"But in his honor," he continued, clearly, "I make a vow."
He drew his longsword.
"While I still draw breath, I will protect you. No one else shall die under my watch. Should we ever fall into danger again... It will be my life that is taken before yours!"
With that, he planted the longsword into the ground next to Airn's remains.