PDA

View Full Version : Why Xykon is so Likable

Beelzebub1111
2007-02-20, 12:08 AM
I figured it out. He's a high level sorcerer right? So lets assume a 22 charisma. before lichatude. Post lichination he gains an additional two. It's his high charisma that lets us love him for the despicable evil undead that he is. it makes so much sense now!

luffy316
2007-02-20, 12:38 AM
It's the fact that he's so casual about the whole thing. He doesn't even really hate anybody. He's always in an upbeat, almost optimistic (if not sometimes cranky) mood. The fact that he's evil is his job description, not his character. He's a lazy, sarcastic guy, who doesn't let the evil or undead factors stop him from acting like he has an ordinary life.

Xilehxt
2007-02-20, 12:41 AM
Who can hate an evil old cranky sarcastic guy? It's impossible to hate someone like that, unless you were actually confronting such a person in real life. Then he sucks.

Sure his charisma may be high, but V and Durkon's charisma scores are low, and are they less likable then Xykon? No.

Haruki-kun
2007-02-20, 12:50 AM
Anyone who's sarcastic enough and followed by Demon Roaches must be likable. Plus, he has a REALLY cool name.

Long live :xykon: Xykon :xykon: (so to speak),

dragongirl13
2007-02-20, 01:10 AM
:xykon: is one of the very few likable villains I have encountered. He's so funny that no one can say he's not one of those very rare likable villains.

Plus, he gets followed by two :roach:'s.

And he gets :redcloak: to get hobgoblins to smash acid beetle infested pies in each others' faces. You can't beat that.

:xykon:+:redcloak:+:mitd:+:roach:= a team of likable villains.

Hel65
2007-02-20, 02:27 PM
:xykon:+:redcloak:+:mitd:+:roach:= a team of likable villains.

It's all true. In fact, they're so likeable that I'd rather see them winning in the end.

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-20, 02:36 PM
:roach: isn't a villain...

Goofy
2007-02-20, 02:47 PM
He's a more comedic version of Kenny the Lich.

TARINunit9
2007-02-20, 03:11 PM
It's because he's just plain FUNNY! 2/5 of the good quotes are from him! And by the way, the characters' charisma scores have no effect on real people.

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-20, 03:12 PM
It's because he's just plain FUNNY! 2/5 of the good quotes are from him! And by the way, the character's charisma score has no effect on real people.

If that's true, then 969841684512369/5 are from Thog.

ABChristine
2007-02-20, 05:15 PM
In comedic situations, the bad guy is almost always as likeable as the good guy. We like the good guy because he is good and we like good people. We like the bad guys because they are funny, and cool.

Come on, be a liche... All the cool kids are doing it.

Axl_Rose
2007-02-20, 05:23 PM
He's the coolest talking skeleton I've ever seen.

Rumda
2007-02-20, 05:33 PM
well there are both Deaths (discworld and here) which will come just ahead and a little behind, but xykon is in the top 3

Jawajoey
2007-02-20, 06:01 PM

Well, Murray the demonic talking skull is pretty awesome, but since he's just a skull, I guess he doesn't technically qualify as talking skeleton.

(Monkey Island Joke, there, for the uninformed):smallsmile:

Justinian
2007-02-20, 06:29 PM
Well, Murray the demonic talking skull is pretty awesome, but since he's just a skull, I guess he doesn't technically qualify as talking skeleton.

(Monkey Island Joke, there, for the uninformed):smallsmile:

If he counts though, Morte from Planescape gets a nod too.

Bel_Bel
2007-02-22, 11:48 PM
Cuz He's Awesome!!!!!

Celeste Seduiletal
2007-02-23, 12:03 AM
I feel another important likeability factor to consider when looking at Xykon is the fact that he's not "eek I feel uncomfortable because he is kicking puppies" evil. He's "yeah, I'm evil and plotting this very evil and dangerous thing...but why are we doing it again? Was I just bored when I came up with this plan?" It's important that we the readers don't automatically view him as a despicable and loathesome character. We all enjoy the suffering of others, and he doesn't take it far enough to creep the mass populace out.

Pvednes
2007-02-23, 04:32 AM
Murray didn't eat nearly enough souls to be a decent talking skull.

tis_tom
2007-02-23, 04:47 AM
I love him because he's just so self absorbed. My favourite comic is still the one where he summons the immortal spirit of the dead goblin just so he doesn't have to go through his drawer for the spare keys. It's stuff like that that makes me laugh because he does all these despicably evil things without even a hint of malice- it's effortless evil!

Black Kitten
2007-02-23, 05:35 AM
Xykon is so likeable because he's casually evil. He doesn't care about the lives of others, has his own plans and just does whatever he likes. He isn't even truly sadistic, but plainly unable to take note of the death of others.

In his way, Xykon makes us feel like the way he lives is perfectly normal and therefore we feel at ease with what he does.

Jewel Thief
2007-02-23, 10:27 AM
I want to be Xykon. :smallfrown:

TheOtherMC
2007-02-23, 10:36 AM
I want to be Xykon. :smallfrown:
Hey, Anorexia Nervosa is not a good idea nor a joke! Xyklon has a very real medical condidtion that weighs on his self-esteem every day. Thats why he uses humor and acts out to get attention. Or maybe its just that whole "death thing" idk... :smallbiggrin:

Iramus_the_odd
2007-02-23, 10:59 AM
Xykon has scrying Teevo how could you not want to hang with him? He also has like a +20 sarcastic wit bonus to his reader likability checks.
Zykon theater 3000. A place were immortal undead can relax and mock the lives of ordinary mortals. In high def no less.

Reinforcements
2007-02-23, 02:44 PM
If that's true, then 969841684512369/5 are from Thog.
I think you've actually managed to exaggerate so hard that your statement went from being extremely emphatic to totally meaningless.

And Xykon is likeable because he's voiced by James Woods in my head.

TheOtherMC
2007-02-23, 03:12 PM
I think you've actually managed to exaggerate so hard that your statement went from being extremely emphatic to totally meaningless.

And Xykon is likeable because he's voiced by James Woods in my head.

Woah...you too?!?!

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-23, 03:19 PM
I like him as a villain because he's plainly incompetent. I like my villains to be screwups; makes the job easier. :smallamused:

TheOtherMC
2007-02-23, 04:01 PM
I think yiu're confusing Xyklon with Nale. Xyklon is competent...like "scary" competent. Its his nonchalant, and carefree levels of confidence (fully justified) that cause the problems. I mean whats the worst they could do? Kill him?

Copacetic
2007-02-23, 08:35 PM
He kills people and watches people violently hurt each other with a carefree attitude. he rocks. FULL STOP!!!

Thoughtbot360
2007-02-24, 12:23 AM
:roach: isn't a villain...

Clearly, you don't know what they did to the angelic cockroaches (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html):smallbiggrin:

fruityjanitor
2007-02-24, 12:28 AM
I figured it out. He's a high level sorcerer right? So lets assume a 22 charisma. before lichatude. Post lichination he gains an additional two. It's his high charisma that lets us love him for the despicable evil undead that he is. it makes so much sense now!

I wonder what his 24 Charisma is worth under the hood.

I'm sorry! I couldn't stop myself!

DraxtonSmitz
2007-02-24, 01:02 AM
It's the fact that he's so casual about the whole thing. He doesn't even really hate anybody. He's always in an upbeat, almost optimistic (if not sometimes cranky) mood. The fact that he's evil is his job description, not his character. He's a lazy, sarcastic guy, who doesn't let the evil or undead factors stop him from acting like he has an ordinary life.

That makes him sound Neutral Evil.

Demented
2007-02-24, 01:32 AM
The difference between Neutral Evil and Sarcastic Evil is only a technicality.

NephandiMan
2007-02-24, 05:47 AM
James Woods, eh? Ever since one of the older threads wherein we cast a hypothetical OotS live-action film adaptation, I've heard Jack Nicholson as the voice of Xykon. Interesting fact: Woods was one of the actors considered for the role of the Joker in Tim Burton's first Batman film, a part that eventually went to Nicholson.

The More You Know. :smallbiggrin:

Pentegarn
2007-02-24, 08:06 AM
My thought is Xykon is likable because....

I think Redcloak is the actual main villain

TheOtherMC
2007-02-24, 08:35 AM
My thought is Xykon is likable because....

I think Redcloak is the actual main villain

I totally agree.

BTW your avatar rocks my freakin socks. Seriously, Pentegarn, you're now my hero for that : P

mikeejimbo
2007-02-24, 12:16 PM
We like the good guy because he is good and we like good people.

*whistles nonchalantly* Yeah guys, we all like good guys, right? Hehe, yeah, no one here prefers the bad guys in fiction because they're tired of the good guys, right? I mean, no one here is hoping that Harry becomes evil in the end of book 7 or anything, right?

moleytov
2007-02-24, 12:57 PM
IT. IS. NOT.OUT. YET. - leave the subject well alone until then.
When the time comes I hope The Giant considers setting up an entirely SPOILER tagged sub forum so not everyone is driven insane.
Yes I hope he does go evil, then
a) kills Ron and then Hermionie makes him realise what a right *** he is and they all live happily ever after ('cept Ron).
b) kills Hermionie and gets his ass whooped by Ron and/or Neville.

** ON TOPIC**

As for Zykon being likable - who wouldn't want to be a powerful undead Lich with wit, scarcasm and a blatant disregard for the life of his minions.
Plus he saves all his A-material for PCs!!!

Nitan
2007-02-24, 01:23 PM
People like Xykon because he is Xykon. He knows who he is, what he wants, and how he's going to get there.

He has no angst, no torment, no hesitation.

orcmonk89
2007-02-24, 01:36 PM
I like him because I like the villains. Really, he appeals to our childhood, a slightly less evil panto villain (let's face it, some of them are nastier that Xykon!).

Besides, at pantos, I boo the heroes and cheer the villains. :)

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-24, 04:58 PM
I think yiu're confusing Xyklon with Nale. Xyklon is competent...like "scary" competent. Its his nonchalant, and carefree levels of confidence (fully justified) that cause the problems. I mean whats the worst they could do? Kill him?
Were he competent, he would have opened the Redmountain Gate long before the Order ever arrived. Think about it: He had lawful good goblin youths right there.

TheOtherMC
2007-02-24, 06:18 PM
Were he competent, he would have opened the Redmountain Gate long before the Order ever arrived. Think about it: He had lawful good goblin youths right there.

It was "only a phase" they were going through.

Demented
2007-02-24, 08:47 PM
Xykon only realized he needed good-aligned characters to open the gate after Nale managed to grab the amulet.

And it's just wrong to use lawful good goblins for any constructive purpose. It goes against the evil genius' creed. All your minions must be mindless or evil. Good people are to be used as hostages only. Acknowledging that good people can have a practical use (for anything besides entertainment) goes against everything evil geniuses stand for.

the_tick_rules
2007-02-24, 10:15 PM
no. manipulation and coercsion and valid tools for evil. Killing every good thing on site is just destruction.