PDA

View Full Version : City Watchman [NPC PrC]

The Demented One
2007-02-20, 12:35 AM
City Watchman

Warriors who aren’t good enough to make the cut as adventurers, elite soldiers, or mercenaries, tend to gravitate to the position of City Watchman. They don’t get honor or glory, they don’t slay evil dragons with magic swords, and they’re lucky to have two meals a day. However, they are essential to life, for, without someone to guard the gates, catch the petty criminals, and file the paperwork, where we would be? They aren’t the best of the best, but they’ve got swords, badges, and numbers–and know how to use all of them.

d8 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a City Watchman, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
BAB: +4
Feats: Combat Expertise or Power Attack
Skills: Knowledge (Local) 2 ranks, Search 2 ranks

Class Skills
The City Watchman’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+0
|
+0
|Take ‘Em Down

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+0
|
+0
|Protect And Serve

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|
+1
|Strength in Numbers
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the City Watchman prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Take ‘Em Down (Ex)
At 1st level, you gain the ability to deal nonlethal damage with any melee weapon without taking a penalty to your attack roll.

Protect and Serve (Ex)
At 2nd level, whenever you use the Combat Expertise feat or fight defensively, you may choose to not receive the normal bonuses to AC. If you do, all adjacent allies gain those bonuses to AC as a circumstance bonus. In addition, whenever you and one or more adjacent allies all use the Combat Expertise feat or fight defensively, you become immune to flanking until the beginning of the next turn.

Strength In Numbers (Ex)
At 3rd level, whenever you and an ally flank an opponent, you both receive a +4, rather than +2, bonus on attack rolls. If both of you are City Watchmen with the strength in numbers ability, then the bonus increases to +5.

martyboy74
2007-02-20, 07:48 AM
For Protect and Serve, could they group into a 2 by 2 block, and have everyone get +12 to AC, or do those bonuses not stack?

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-20, 08:39 AM
You know, this PrC might actually be good for an adventuring tactical fighter...

And I think Take 'Em Down should only work for melee weapons; it's hard to aim a crossbow to knock someone out without killing them.

Jothki
2007-02-20, 08:45 AM
Still no Spot and Listen?

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 10:04 AM
City Watchmen really wouldn't ride horses, though.

Attilargh
2007-02-20, 12:18 PM
I could very well see a Good character (especially a Paladin) taking levels in this.

No Diplomacy to resolve the situation peacefully and handle some Public Relations?

When using Protect and Serve, does the ally also gain the immunity to flanking?

Maybe you could add a couple more levels with abilities like "Make my day, punk", or something that gives the Watchman a bonus on some patrolling-related task?

Bel_Bel
2007-02-20, 05:09 PM
I would have some abilities dealing with noticing enemies, and having a req of spot and listen.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 05:13 PM
Only problem is, I can take it at lv. 2.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 05:19 PM
Only problem is, I can take it at lv. 2.

How do you get a BAB of +4 at level 2?

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 05:44 PM
Sorry, thought that wasa skill. still, my 5th level class can be it, that's 1 level too low.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 05:44 PM
Sorry, thought that wasa skill. still, my 5th level class can be it, that's 1 level too low.

Er, no it's not. Seen the 15-level prcs?

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 05:50 PM
But...My DMG liiiied to me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!111one

The Demented One
2007-02-20, 06:24 PM
For Protect and Serve, could they group into a 2 by 2 block, and have everyone get +12 to AC, or do those bonuses not stack?
Nope - multiple circumstance bonuses from the same source don't stack.

Still no Spot and Listen?
They had it in the rough draft, better I couldn't justify making them better, skill-wise, than fighters. I may go back on that issue.

MeklorIlavator
2007-02-20, 06:43 PM
Personally, if anything, city watchman should have spot. I mean, this is law enforcement. Their job is to look for wrongdoings/suspicious people.

Raum
2007-02-20, 09:22 PM
I like it overall.

[SIZE=3][B]Strength In Numbers (Ex)
At 3rd level, whenever you and an ally flank an opponent, you both receive a +4, rather than +2, bonus on attack rolls. If both of you are City Watchmen with the strength in numbers ability, then the bonus increases to +5.
Have you considered having the Strength in Numbers ability work similarly with Aid Another? Or possibly add a fourth level for that since it is an NPC class.