PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder City of Progress - Campaign Journal: Chapter 2 (When in Doubt, Speak with Plants)

Nibbens
2014-06-04, 09:04 AM
First off, let me address the the long hiatus that had occurred between the previous post and this one. Life happens to all of us: birthdays, holidays, vacations, once in a life time 'work events,' and even a marriage transpired between these last two posts. However, we're all glad to be back in the action.

For those of you just tuning in, get acquainted with the story here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?330770-City-of-Progress-Campaign-Journal).
For those you who who missed the last chapter, go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?334673-City-of-Progress-Campaign-Journal-Chapter-1-(Dinosaur-with-Laser-beams!)).

Joining us at the table this time:

Beable Bamford - Halfling siege mage and Golem Lord for Rab's Progress, and his trusty Golem "mouse" (carrying a ginormous cannon inside of it).
Galarend - Human Shining Knight Paladin and General of Rab's Progress' standing army. He is never far away from hits trusty steed "Bolba."
Bolba: A huge flying Triceratops decked out in spiked full-plate armor. (yes, it flies. I approved a permanency of a Fly spell in his case due to particular circumstances.)) By the way, he is totally sentient, has a sense of humor and can speak in a very low and slow voice.
Lady Wisteria - Human verdant Sorcerer who is the Rab's Progress' herbalist and "tea-master." (In the front yard of her home stands the only tree in all of the city - a huge oak tree)

The game started with a recap of the last game to reacquaint everyone with the story (much needed after such a long time).
The first roll of the game began with players failing to find any tracks nearby from the recent Stone Giant assault, so the proceed to continue to the Twisted Forrest flying on Bolba's back/harnesses.
Players notice a small encampment surrounded by huge golems (which looked to be outfitted for excavation - ie giant shovels for hands, etc) outside the edge of the Forrest and decided to approach expecting it was the Duke's missing expedition/excavation party. Galarend raised a banner and they walked at a leisurely pace towards the camp.
A single dwarf approached the party and Galarend introduced himself and the group as coming from the Duke. The dwarf (who speaks with a lisp) introduced himself as Rogar and invited them into the camp. Various dwarves went about leisurely activities as they passed through to a tent with a single table.
Rogar hops up onto a stool so he can see the table and addresses the players with "I'm glad the Duke sent someone in response to my letters."
Galarend responded with something to the effect of 'he never received them, we were sent to possibly find you and the Prism Forge.'
Rogar was befuddled, and asked if any of his letters ever made it to him, Galarend mentioned the stone giants in the mountain pass, and Rogar lowered his head. All present expect that Rogars messenger with the letter met a grisly end at the hand of the Stone Giants and their Worm that Walks leader.
Lady Wisteria uses Unseen Servant to grab some tea from the cook and bring it to the group. The entire camp, seeing the floating tea, begins to look into their mugs, wondering about what they were drinking.
Rogar graciously accepts the tea and begins to recount what was in his missives and his theory about the Twisted Forest. When him as his party came to the area, they tried to enter the forest but each time they found themselves exiting the same way they came in, seemingly spat out by the same direction they entered. He mentioned that locate spells behave awkwardly and his theory was that perhaps the Prism Forge existed between 2 planes - stuck somewhere. He asked the Duke to supply someone with access to Plane Shift and Find the Path to try his theories out.
Luckily the Party had just the thing they need.
Rogar mentioned that only one of their members didn't return from the forest and asked the PC's to keep an eye out for him when they go in. Galarend requests that someone from the camp come with them - Rogar had no squires or direct underlings, and the only cleric in the group was their primary source of food and water via Create Food spells and Create Water spells. Galarend decided that neither of them should leave the group, so during dinner he asks if anyone would come with them. A Dwarf named Dungle decided to adventure with them.
The party decided to test his "intestinal fortitude" by putting him on the back of Bolba and telling him to "reach the stars." Bolbla turns into a triceratops rocket with Dungle strapped in, I rolled to see if he would lose bladder/bowels/stomach contents on the accent - he succeed all except the roll to vomit.
His full name was decided then and there to be Dungle Puke-Beard. (I'm writing his stats up today)
After Dungle managed to even out Bolba free fell to the ground: I rolled for body evacuation. He lost control of all.
After landing, Galarend placed his hand on Dungle's shoulder and said "Welcome to the group." Dungle walked away to change his shorts.
The next day, Lady Wisteria decided to ask a tree about the goings on of the forest. It mentioned the dwarves and how it didn't like the way their 'giant machines' just knocked down his friends - so all PC's began to expect foul play at the hand of Fae.
The party + Dungle boarded Bolba and they used the wand of Find the Path on Bolba, and off they flew, above the treeline of the Twisted Forest.
The Find the Path spell seemed like it was malfunctioning as it began to make them swerve left and right and quite frequently. However, the direction continued (more or less) into the heart of the woods.
It wasn't until several hours (and several recastings of FtP) that the party heard labored breathing.

Let the Arcane Eye shenanigans being!

Using Arcane Eye, Lady Wisteria looked off in the direction of the labored breathing and found a 20 foot deep gorge in the forest floor with a dwarf at the bottom of it. His breathing was labored, his body looked bloated and his leg was snapped in an odd direction.
While the party quibbled about getting him out and about responsibility, I continued to drop hints that all wasn't as it seemed.
At first the breathing intensified, and the pulsing throughout the bloated body got more pronounced.
Then Lady Wisteria (with a ridiculously high perception check) heard what sounded like rib bones and cartridge snapping under immense pressure. She expressed this to the group, and as she did, they watched his "bloated" features deflate, immediately followed by several 'poking' motions coming up through the chest cavity. They all watched in stupor as several small humanoids crawled out of the Husk of the dwarf.
Dungle freaked out, but was immediately stifled by Beable.
Lady Wisteria, pulls off a nature check and determines them to be a group of Vegepygmies. Being a Plant Creature, she decided to pull off another Speak with Plants. All she said was "HI."
The Vegepygmies at the bottom of the gorge all turned to look at her. Other players began to hear a series of violent and rapid clicks (Using the way Predators communicate (as in the movie 'Predator') as an example) from the other side of the gorge. Close to 7 different creatures were clicking to make the phrase. "Leave, leave now."
All of Lady Wisteria's comments were met by the same answer, with increasing volume (and increasing number of clickers).
The PC's made a hasty retreat and continued back on the Path.

For the next Part of this adventure, click here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?354639-City-of-Progress-Campaign-Journal-Chapter-2-1-(Quills-Spills-and-Plane-Shifting)).

Robodobbie
2014-08-27, 11:58 PM
Your Liege I have arrived!
The troops are geared for war and ready to stand against the evil forces on the horizon. Bolba is well rested and motivated to stand beside me in the challenges that are upon us!
IN THE DEFENSE OF PROGRESS!!!! TOO WAR!!!!!!!

Nibbens
2014-08-28, 01:36 PM
LOL. I'm hardly a ruler, just a journalist. :P

Nevertheless, It's good to see a player on here. lol. Where's our Siege Mage?