PDA

View Full Version : A Funky Custom Spell List

PraxisVetli
2014-06-04, 01:08 PM
What if, from Orisons and Cantrips to the most kicker of 6ths, you could cast Any spells?
For an RP in another forum, I have been allowed to Magic in a completely mundane, fairly futuristic world. Since both the GM and I, and a few of the other RP'ers know 3.5, we've decided to run it off D&D.
Help me build the spell list?

An important note: Spells that just "Win" such as Hail of Stone, or Ray of Stupidity, or Tasha's Hideous Laughter, or Magic Missile, aren't allowed. It needs to have a save, and people will likely make the save a good half of the time, since this isn't die roll based. So, mostly what I need are buffs and some Battlefield Control. That being said, because it isn't numerically based, Spells that add numbers are mostly useless. Mage Armour means nothing, and Blur is hard to work. However, easily described spells such as Expeditious Retreat, are assumed a base speed of 30, so the spell amounts to doubling someone's speed. Spells that do damage, assume people have appropriate HP for that level. 12 damage doesn't kill the world.

I'm also not allowed Summoning Spells, in that while being the Bear Cavalry is amazing, it's just not to fair to ordinary soldiers. Because unless you have tanks, 10 Grizzly's can get most things done. Also, there is no other Magic in the world, so a lot of Divination and Abjuration are fairly useless. Also, I can't Cure/Inflict other people, and Alignment spells (Magic Circle and the lot). And I had to give up DPS Conjuration spells. So no Orbs. I am, however, allowed to Fireball. So that's still cool.

I understand this is fairly complicated, but given that I'm the only one that can cast, we're trying to keep it only slightly OP. As op as it needs to be, but not HAHAHA I'M A WIZARD!!!! op. So less optimal spells such as most of Evocation is fair game. I should only be a few steps ahead of Technology. (I'm allowed to Teleport, but I can only ever bring up to 2 people with me.)

In exchange, Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard, any Base Class Spell List is acceptable. (So despite Telflammar's listing of Haste as a Second level spell, I have to take it as a Third. Which is fair enough. This does allow for spells like Bard and Duskblade spells, if they can be taken a a lower level that way. It does also allow for way early access to some of those Paladin/Ranger spells.
I think I want to keep it to really any spells known; I'm allowed to have as many spells known as I like, but I'm the first, so I have to research them all. Spare time isn't in excess so a likely number is around
10/9/9/8/7/7/6/6/5/4
Spells per Day, we're looking at:
Cantrips/1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th
Infinite/7 /6 /5 /4 /3 /2
So.

Alarm, Ventriloquism, Cause Fear, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat (I don't get Haste), Feather Fall, Launch Item, Low-light Vision, Sanctuary
Darkness, Invisibility, Spider Climb, Whispering Wind, Fog Cloud, Detect Thoughts, Zone of Truth, Protection from Arrows(there's debate whether this will stop bullets, or rather at later levels I will have to invent Protection from Bullets)
Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Amorphous Form, Fly, Water Breathing, Water Walk
Fear, Polymorph, Superior Darkvision, Favor of the Martyr,
Teleport, Wall of Force, Fabricate,
Disintegrate,

PraxisVetli
2014-06-04, 04:39 PM
Is anybody out there?

Aegis013
2014-06-04, 04:47 PM
Definitely add whatever you can from the Silent Image line into the list. Those would be pretty fun irl.

Melayl
2014-06-04, 05:15 PM
Speaking for spells I'd like to have access to in a modern world (I can't remember levels on all of them):

Prestidigitation, Restoration (all of them), Repair Damage, Mending, Make Whole, Scholar's Touch, Cure Minor/Light/Moderate/etc Wounds, Slow/Neutralize Poison, Cure Disease, many of the stat buff spells, Move Earth, to name a few.

PraxisVetli
2014-06-04, 10:26 PM
Bear in mind, Metamagic is not a thing, so the self buff spells would not be as useful as normal, since I wouldn't have time to cast them all. Also, things like Craft Contingent aren't available.

PraxisVetli
2014-06-05, 10:54 AM
You know, I really thought this would get more attention