PDA

View Full Version : Fox stats

Deme
2007-02-20, 08:57 AM
A friend of mine in a campaign I'm going to run wants to play a druid with an artic fox as her animal companion. This being said, I have no idea how a fox would stack up with other first-level druid animal companions(you know, if I'd need to mod it somehow), because the stats for a fox aren't in the monster manual. Does anyone know where I would find such stats, or what I should (in your opinion) modify and mess with to make a fox (or dire fox, or some other sort of fox, if regular fox isn't comparable to the other animal companions)?

InaVegt
2007-02-20, 09:01 AM
A friend of mine in a campaign I'm going to run wants to play a druid with an artic fox as her animal companion. This being said, I have no idea how a fox would stack up with other first-level druid animal companions(you know, if I'd need to mod it somehow), because the stats for a fox aren't in the monster manual. Does anyone know where I would find such stats, or what I should (in your opinion) modify and mess with to make a fox (or dire fox, or some other sort of fox, if regular fox isn't comparable to the other animal companions)?
IIRC there are stats for the fox in frostburn

Thomas
2007-02-20, 09:04 AM
Gamebird just recently posted good stats for a host of smaller or neglected animals.

Frostburn does have stats for an arctic fox (I don't imagine a regular fox would be much different?), along with caribou, sea otters, penguins, seals, and walruses. Goo goo ga joob.

InaVegt
2007-02-20, 09:06 AM
Gamebird just recently posted good stats for a host of smaller or neglected animals.

Frostburn does have stats for an arctic fox (I don't imagine a regular fox would be much different?), along with caribou, sea otters, penguins, seals, and walruses. Goo goo ga joob.
Well, as the arctic fox was wanted I'd say Frostburn would be a jolly good source then

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-02-20, 09:06 AM
You may wish to try contacting Fenric. He usually hangs around Town, but you'll want to send a PM since his schedule has been a little hectic lately. He's our resident fox expert. If anyone knows the stats for a fox, it'd be him.

Deme
2007-02-20, 09:11 AM
Thank you very much. after searching for fox stats and frostburn on google, I found some...now to see how they stack up...*meanders off*

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-21, 04:52 AM
Well, comparing it to a dog...

Same initiative and speed, similar senses, etc. Fox is overall weaker physically, but has weapon finesse, so is more likely to hit, even though the bite hurts less. Fox also has worse saves. Overall, I would say the Fox feels more like a familiar than a companion. Based on the Arctic Fox in Frostburn.

Ramza00
2007-02-21, 05:09 AM
Artic Fox is 1/4 CR
Wolf is 1/2
Dog is 1/3

Dog has better stats in everything. Only difference is Artic Fox has Weapon Finesse instead of Track and the skills/skill bonus is a little different.

If you don't have frostburn just use the stats for a dog and say its an artic fox.