PDA

View Full Version : Attacking after using Dimension Door?

Bloodgruve
2014-06-04, 05:42 PM
I'm currently running a Rogue1/Clawlock5. I'm looking for a way to get an attack in the same round as Flee the Scene (dimension door).

I know there's Sun School but I'm not sure my DM will drop the alignment restriction for monk.

There's Belt of Battle...

Is there anything else I could look at without losing too much Warlock?

Thanks

Blood~

Juntao112
2014-06-04, 05:43 PM
Telflammar Shadowlord (http://dndtools.eu/classes/telflammar-shadowlord/)

ArqArturo
2014-06-04, 05:55 PM
Quicken Spell-like ability, I think.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-04, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the input,

I've looked at Telflammar but my DM is pretty reluctant there as we're in Greyhawk.

Quicken would work but that doesn't come online till 17th level for me :/

Any way to get Flurry of Blows as a chaotic character?

Blood~

Juntao112
2014-06-04, 06:03 PM
Quicken Spell-like ability, I think.
Doesn't override the clause preventing you from taking any more actions after a Dimension Door.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-04, 06:23 PM
Doesn't override the clause preventing you from taking any more actions after a Dimension Door.

You're right, it wouldn't. could still use an Eldritch Blast prior to using it though.

Blood~

Rubik
2014-06-04, 06:35 PM
Readied action to attack, followed by a Quickened Dimension Door or an extra standard action gained through some means?

Synchronicity abuse could force one through, maybe.

firebrandtoluc
2014-06-04, 07:08 PM
Dimension door explicitly states that "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn." So... are there any ways to attack without using actions?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-06-04, 07:10 PM
Leadership --> ToB cohort --> cohort initiates White Raven Tactics after you teleport.

Requires an insane feat and some coordination, but there you go.

There's also the chaos monk from dragon magazine.

Rubik
2014-06-04, 07:11 PM
Dimension door explicitly states that "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn." So... are there any ways to attack without using actions?Well, Synchronicity and the Celerity line could force an action through, as I said, since they're exceptions to the normal rules for acting, especially if the former is used with metapsionics. Not to mention the factotum and so on.

animewatcha
2014-06-04, 07:39 PM
The shadowlord prestige class already mentioned. Plus, there is a feat called Sun School. I believe one of the planar masteries of horizon walker has a DD ability that acts like Sun school ( I could be wrong ).

Doorhandle
2014-06-04, 07:54 PM
Pathfinder had the dimensional dervish line of feats.

Get enough of them and you can flank with yourself.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-06-04, 07:58 PM
Well, Synchronicity and the Celerity line could force an action through, as I said, since they're exceptions to the normal rules for acting, especially if the former is used with metapsionics. Not to mention the factotum and so on.Celerity definitely won't by itself, since DD prevents you from taking immediate actions. Linked synchronicity and the like won't work because (IMO) dimension door is more specific. You can't take any other actions until the beginning of your next turn.

However, like I said before, anything that makes it your next turn (contingent anticipatory strike, or white raven tactics) will allow you to act again.

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-04, 08:30 PM
Isn't Chaos Monk an actual thing? Was pretty sure that was one of the class variants that is out there.

Or maybe I am confusing it with one of the other billion or so ACFs/sub levels for monk.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-04, 08:41 PM
Isn't Chaos Monk an actual thing? Was pretty sure that was one of the class variants that is out there.

Or maybe I am confusing it with one of the other billion or so ACFs/sub levels for monk.

Chaos Monk is a thing, but it drops Flurry of Blows for Flailing Strike which then loses the prereq for Sun School :/ Had my hopes up for a sec there.

Looks like Belt of Battle wouldn't work either after Flee the Scene.

Thanks for the responses so far

Blood~

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-04, 09:00 PM
Chaos Monk is a thing, but it drops Flurry of Blows for Flailing Strike which then loses the prereq for Sun School :/ Had my hopes up for a sec there.

Looks like Belt of Battle wouldn't work either after Flee the Scene.

Thanks for the responses so far

Blood~

Ee gads. Seriously, why make a variant designed to be X with a different alignment, and then bother with language that pretty much makes it "not X?" That just seems like bad design.

Plus, I am personally not a fan of the "discipline = lawful" school of thought. I think that lawful might imply some discipline (rigor in following the rules), but I don't think that that implies that the only ones that can be disciplined are the lawful. Habituation is a result of repeated activity, and while this will likely be less desirable to a chaotic person, people make themselves do undesirable things all of the time.

Anyway, /rant.

I had a character whose main thing was Sun School off of Abrupt Jaunt from a conjurer dip. Wonder if you could wedge that in there. But I guess that still leaves the alignment issue in there.

See if the DM will waive the alignment req for warlock. Do you have established fiendish ancestry? Cause otherwise I'd just ask the DM to ditch that fluff, and go for a celestial or [something] background that can accommodate the monk level.

Hmm. Did Shou Disciple (name?) give FoB? I thought it did...hmmm. Been playing too much Exalted. All my mind-books are gathering dust, it seems.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-06-04, 09:46 PM
If you could have started out lawful and gone chaotic you could have gone ex-monk. Also could have been a Brood Monkey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a) to get it racially.

Shou Disciple gets "Martial Flurry," which by a strict reading simply allows you to use an existing flurry of blows with more weapons.

Just to tease you some more...
I found Disciple of the Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=2), but it also has a lawful requirement.
Crinti Shadow Marauder is another way to get shadowpounce... but it's also Faerun material.

An entirely passive aggressive [donkey]hole move is to ask your DM the following:
You: "Would the Exotic Weapon Master's Flurry of Strikes stack with a Monk's Flurry of Blows?"
DM: "No, they're basically the same ability."
You: "Are you sure? They have different names."
DM: "But they do they same thing. They're the same ability."
You: "For all purposes?"
DM: "Uh..."
You: "Great, I can take Flurry of Strikes as a prereq for things that need flurry of blows. Thanks!"

infomatic
2014-06-04, 09:58 PM
And Sohei get flurry of blows during Ki Frenzy… but again, Lawfu.

Rubik
2014-06-04, 10:41 PM
And Sohei get flurry of blows during Ki Frenzy… but again, Lawfu.Heh. Law-fu.

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-Law.jpg