PDA

View Full Version : character ideas

equinoxmaster
2014-06-04, 08:17 PM
i am making a character and i just got BOED and complete adventurer, what character should i make:smallconfused:

Falcon X
2014-06-05, 01:59 PM
Assuming we're focused on just those two source-books:

I once had a character play a scout: (Technically it was a scout/Swordsage hybrid, but it acted like a scout). Scout is probably the most widely used of the 3 new classes in CA.
She played a NG, naive grippli. So, she was small, liked to collect shiny objects, and wandered the world doing good deeds. I also gave her Nymph's Kiss (BOED) to show her attachment to nature.

Basically, use one of the 3 new classes and couple it with a Vow or Nymph's kiss. There will be lots of nice flavor just from that.

I also once had a fallen paladin become a Risen Martyr. He was someone who became too chaotic to be a paladin, but he ended his life in a glorious self-sacrifice that was his redemption.

They say that the most powerful of the BOED prestige classes are:
- Champion of Gwynharwyf - Barbarian, Raging Paladins! Definitely how you make Barbarian rock!
- Emessaries of Barachiel - Inspires like a bard. Converts instead of kills. The ultimate "good" character.
- Sentinel of Bharrai - Turn your wizard (or spellthief) into a druid! This is the ultimate powerhouse/protect nature/turn into a bear class.
Might check those out.

Depends on what flavor you want. I like sentinel of Bharrai, but they all work differently:
Annointed Knight = Fighter + Ancestral Weapon
Champion of Gwynharwyf = Barbarian + Smite Evil
Defender of Sealtiel = A better Knight (Defence based tank)
Emessaries of Barachiel = Bard + Conversion/Atonement ability
The Fist of Raziel = Paladin as a prestige class
Lion of Talisid = Druid + Lion flavor
The Risen Martyr = A broad range of Holy stuff
Slayer of Domiel
Vassel of Bahamut

Most of the other Prestige classes in BOED aren't worth it.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-06-05, 02:10 PM
A monk with the vow of poverty. Gets tons of abilities and extra stat boosts at the cost of not being able to use or carry items of any sort. Good for if the DM plans on running a low wealth campaign.

Renen
2014-06-05, 02:12 PM
Does your DM allow homebrew?
http://realmofadventure.wikia.com/wiki/Vow_of_Nudity

sideswipe
2014-06-05, 02:20 PM
A monk with the vow of poverty. Gets tons of abilities and extra stat boosts at the cost of not being able to use or carry items of any sort. Good for if the DM plans on running a low wealth campaign.

bad choice. monks need items more than anyone.

make an exalted druid with the vow of poverty. it barely reacts with a druid at all and you will gain extra exalted feats. and there are some very nice druid exalted feats.

nedz
2014-06-05, 02:31 PM
A Cleric of Valarian — with the Fey domain.
Laugh as you Blind or Kill your opponents with your beauty.

Kazudo
2014-06-05, 02:33 PM
Make an apostle of peace. Put Barbarian and Paladin of Freedom in there just for kicks.

RhoTheWanderer
2014-06-05, 03:35 PM
A Cleric of Valarian — with the Fey domain.
Laugh as you Blind or Kill your opponents with your beauty.

That is just plain awesome! Also, there was someone in one of my old groups who would of loved that as the person played some sort of servant of Artemis (the Maiden Goddess of the Hunt) in an ancient Greece campaign.

I personally haven't used BoED before myself either, but from what I can gather from my readings:
A. You should hope that your group contains enough good roleplayers (or reasonable OoC-diplomats) to deal with issues that come up if someone in the party pings as Evil.
B. You should hope that either everyone is playing the "slaying the heretics"/murderhobo version of good, or no one is (:miko:what do you mean "senseless slaying of heretics is evil?" You must be a devil trying to subvert me!).
In summery, as with many things, it may be wise to talk to your group. Capturing the heretics, lich, arch-villain instead of killing them may lead to interesting roleplaying or (perhaps even along with that) to the distrustful rogue murdering the converted villain in his sleep. Also, does your dm have a copy of BoED? How does your dm view and interpret alignments (alignments determine actions or actions determine alignments? What does it mean to be LG, NG, or CG? ect.)?

I just realized upon double-checking that Daring Outlaw is from Complete Scoundrel, not from Complete Adventurer. Well it's still nice if you want to play some sort of CG Swashbuckler if nothing else.
If you want to play a sort-of knightly melee character who charges into combat when he fights evil, I've heard that Leap Attack from CAdv110 is pretty good.
Even if some characters in the group are more mercenary, BoED contains a few non-lethal weapons for when you want to "bring 'em in alive", and it has a good-aligned variant of poisons called "ravages" (BoED34&35 respectfully).

eggynack
2014-06-05, 04:00 PM
What other books do ya got? Seems somewhat relevant, I think. In any case, the druid idea isn't the worst. You have the feat support, because BoED has a lot of druid feats, and the spell support, because BoED has a good number of druid spells. You get very little from complete adventurer, however, though natural bond is some sweet business. If we're talking just these two books and core, I'd probably tend away from VoP, because you're going to end up with a lot of normal feat slots that don't do much, as exalted wild shape and exalted companion are already among your best options. Then again, without MIC, or other strong item providing books, kitting out a druid can be tricky, so it might actually be viable.

Falcon X
2014-06-06, 02:07 AM
If you can get the Miniature's Handbook, I'd love to see a War Hulk with Vow of Poverty.

Inevitability
2014-06-06, 04:21 AM
Or vow of peace...

Speaking about vows, I've had the idea of making a character that tries to impede himself with vows and codes of conduct as much as possible, while breaking none of them.

Hm....

Chaotic Good Buomman Commoner 1 / Barbarian 1/ Paladin of Freedom x with all of the 'vow' feats and the Pig Bond and Peasant Hat flaws?

equinoxmaster
2014-06-06, 08:58 AM
What other books do ya got? Seems somewhat relevant, I think. In any case, the druid idea isn't the worst. You have the feat support, because BoED has a lot of druid feats, and the spell support, because BoED has a good number of druid spells. You get very little from complete adventurer, however, though natural bond is some sweet business. If we're talking just these two books and core, I'd probably tend away from VoP, because you're going to end up with a lot of normal feat slots that don't do much, as exalted wild shape and exalted companion are already among your best options. Then again, without MIC, or other strong item providing books, kitting out a druid can be tricky, so it might actually be viable.

I have all of the complete series but complete psionic and i have eberron and faerun campaign settings, as well as some other cool stuff like ghost walk and tome of magic. im saving up for Heros of horror

equinoxmaster
2014-06-06, 09:00 AM
maybe NG spellthief/shadowcaster/shadowdancer with exalted feats and the practiced spellcaster feat?

equinoxmaster
2014-06-06, 09:06 AM
or maybe archivist/spellthief/shadowdancer

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-06, 09:58 AM
Human, Spellthief 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Unseen Seer 2/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Arcane Trickster 8, with Master Spellthief and Able Learner.

Normally volley spells such as Scorching Ray and other standard-action spells that make multiple attacks only deal sneak attack and other precision damage on one of the attacks made. However, per the Rules Compendium anything that takes a full-round action and makes multiple attacks gets to add precision damage such as sneak attack on every attack. That means your spontaneously cast spells with metamagic applied, such as Invisible Spell from Cityscape, will take a full-round action to cast and deal sneak attack damage on every attack. You can also use Split Ray to gain an additional attack with any of your ray spells. With Greater Invisibility and Invisible Spell, your opponents won't even know where the hits are coming from!

To include BoED, get Ancestral Relic at 3rd level and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224) per this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4). Make the character a +0 LA Aasimar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), you never have to spend a level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) on the +1 LA and other benefits. The outsider creature type gives you proficiency in all martial weapons. Make your relic an Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow, which counts as a quarterstaff and a longbow, so you'll need masterwork three times and you can put three wand chambers from Dungeonscape on it for 100 gp each. A wand chamber holds a normal wand which you can activate as though you're holding it whenever you're holding the weapon.

Falcon X
2014-06-06, 01:45 PM
I see you have Tome of Magic. Do you have Tome of Battle?

ToB's classes will work very well with BOED. Crusader is basically a better Paladin, and Swordsage is a step up from Monk. Both do well with sanctified stuff.
As stated before, I also pulled off a cool Scout/Swordsage combo before.

equinoxmaster
2014-06-07, 09:16 AM
I see you have Tome of Magic. Do you have Tome of Battle?

ToB's classes will work very well with BOED. Crusader is basically a better Paladin, and Swordsage is a step up from Monk. Both do well with sanctified stuff.
As stated before, I also pulled off a cool Scout/Swordsage combo before.

yes i have it, ill probably be a swordsage. i am more of a caster/trickster character player so swordsage is basicly perfect