PDA

View Full Version : [Variant-PrC] Paladin

Duke of URL
2007-02-20, 12:18 PM
Designer Notes: I personally think Paladin as a base class is a misguided hold-over from AD&D 1st edition. In 3rd edition terms, it makes much more sense as a PrC, though this will require compressing the class features into a 10-level progression rather than a 20-level progression. The class as outlined below is an attempt to convert the SRD Paladin into a PrC; no attempt has been made to "re-do" the Paladin class as it "ought to be", as seen elsewhere in the Homebrew forum.

Paladin

Hit Die: d10

Requirements

To qualify to become a paladin, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Lawful Good
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Mounted Combat
Skills: Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Knowledge (religion) 2, Heal 4, Ride 4

Class Skills

The paladin’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Paladin
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Remove Disease 1x/week, Smite Evil 1x/day, Special Mount|0|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Divine Grace, Lay on Hands, Turn Undead|1|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Aura of Courage, Divine Health, Remove Disease 2x/week|2|0|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Smite Evil 2x/day|3|1|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Remove Disease 3x/week|3|2|0|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Smite Evil 3x/day|3|3|1|-

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Remove Disease 4x/week|3|3|2|0

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Smite Evil 4x/day|3|3|3|1

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Remove Disease 5x/week|3|3|3|2

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Smite Evil 5x/day|3|3|3|3[/table]

All class features work the same as defined in the 3.5 SRD, EXCEPT that the class level basis for all abilities (including effective caster level) is the lesser of ( Paladin class level x 2 ) or character level. Abilities that stack with other classes (such as Smite Evil and/or Turn Undead, if applicable) will only use Paladin class levels (not x2) for determining effective level.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-20, 12:35 PM
THere's already a PrC version of the Paladin in Unearthed Aracana, or at www.d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org).

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 12:36 PM
...are you aware of the already-existant Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin)? Yours is slightly more tasty, since it is 10 levels instead of 15, but perhaps you could take the better bits of the extant PrC Pally and work them into yours.

Duke of URL
2007-02-20, 12:51 PM
Ah... that would be a good place to look, wouldn't it?

Nice to see that my take doesn't differ too much from that cut, though I like the 10-level version better than the 15-level version. The big difference is that I give an extra High save (Will) in my version, which kind of makes sense given the strong moral discipline a Paladin should have.

Harkone
2007-02-20, 01:07 PM
I utilized the same idea of the prestige class paladin with my Knight of the Eternal Order (I think it's on page 2 now). I really like the idea of the paladin as a prestige class, though you should have some spellcasting requirement like the Unearthed Arcana does (unless you're comfortable with PrC paladins being just fighters first).

Duke of URL
2007-02-20, 01:16 PM
I really like the idea of the paladin as a prestige class, though you should have some spellcasting requirement like the Unearthed Arcana does (unless you're comfortable with PrC paladins being just fighters first).

I actually am comfortable with that. The vows they swear upon becoming a Paladin should be sufficient to allow for divine spellcasting.

What I don't like about the UA "Prestige Paladin" is that it requires, and subsequently advances, divine spellcasting from another class. I actually prefer the Paladin to have a restricted spell list designed to specifically compliment the Paladin's role

Harkone
2007-02-20, 01:58 PM
Fair enough.