PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Advice on Spellblade weapon enhancement

Oddman80
2014-06-05, 08:49 AM
My character is a mundane melee build (Half-Orc Barbarian/Fiighter) with no spell casting abilities. I plan on getting a spellblade enhancement on my weapon:

Spellblade is a quality that can be applied to weapons. It applies to a single spell, and makes the wielder immune to that spell, but only if it is directly targeted at the wielder. The spell is absorbed by the weapon and the wielder can then choose whether to redirect the spell, or let it drain away.
Most threads I have seen advise to take ‘dispel magic’ as the chosen spell for which to gain immunity. However I don’t think this would be very useful given my mundane build.

What would you suggest? My character is level 6 amid a mix of level 5 & 6 party members (Human Necromancer Cleric, Elf Ranger, Elf Monk, Kobold Sorcerer, Grey Elf Rogue) . I am currently the major damage dealer in the party with a Shocktrooper/Leap Attack/Valorous weapon capability. Am I better off taking ‘Dominate Person’ as my spell immunity – to make sure I don’t get turned on my own party? Look forward to your suggestions.

Dread_Head
2014-06-05, 09:57 AM
Do the cleric or Sorcerer ever cast buff spells on you? If they do then having a Spellblade keyed to Dispel Magic will still be very useful.

There is a banner in Heroes of Battle that provides Protection from Evil to you and your allies within 30ft permanently for 8000gp which is only a little more expensive than a Spellblade and protects the entire party from Dominate and Charm person as well. Buying this (get other party members who will benefit to chip in) would free you up to key the Spellblade against something else, don't know what to suggest though.

Oddman80
2014-06-05, 11:45 AM
You got me excited about that banner... Until I read the description that says it requires two hands, and therefore the holder is able to use neither weapon nor shield. So... that's out.

As far as dispel magic, i am the frequent recipient of both enlarge person and bulls strength spells... I hadn't really thought of the buffs i receive. Maybe dispel is the way to go.

I'm reading that the enhancement can be purchased multiple times on a single weapon (like wand slots). So I might go with dispel & dominate person.

Anyone have a list of the major save or die (or save or suck) spells?

Xerlith
2014-06-05, 11:54 AM
Get two levels of Totemist and bind Girallon Arms. Two hands for all purposes. Proceed with the banner. :smallbiggrin:

Dread_Head
2014-06-05, 12:06 PM
You got me excited about that banner... Until I read the description that says it requires two hands, and therefore the holder is able to use neither weapon nor shield. So... that's out.

As far as dispel magic, i am the frequent recipient of both enlarge person and bulls strength spells... I hadn't really thought of the buffs i receive. Maybe dispel is the way to go.

I'm reading that the enhancement can be purchased multiple times on a single weapon (like wand slots). So I might go with dispel & dominate person.

Anyone have a list of the major save or die (or save or suck) spells?

Get the Sorcerer or monk to hold it, Sorcerer can take a hand off the banner to cast spells and a monk can Unarmed Strike with other body parts. Or alternatively there's banners in the MIC that take up the shoulders slot, ask if you can do the same with this one?

I don't know about the multiple uses of the same enchantment on the same item, you can definitely get it on other weapons such as armour spikes, gauntlets, boot blade, elbow blade etc if you want it multiple times though.