PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level 4 Half-Orc Barbarian Prestige help.

ShumpBorag
2014-06-05, 09:12 AM
Yo!

Me and some buddy's have started a new campaign, our last campaign started off with:

Level 5 Gnome Bard (Me)
Level 5 Dwarven Paladin
Level 5 Elven Ranger
Level 5 Human Druid
Level 5 Half-Drow Wizard
Level 5 Human Spirit Shaman

At level 7, a friend joined as a Human Fighter.

Was great, but took AGES to get anything done, so now we've scaled down to a smaller group, including:

Level 3 Half-Orc Barbarian (Me)
Level 3 Human Cleric (Previously the Ranger)
Level 3 human Warlock (Previous DM)

My main point is that I can't see much prestige classes that don't become a HUGE Hindering in some way or another to the Barbarian.

Eye of Gruumsh takes a LOT of prerequisites, and needs to spend feats to get access to the Orc double axe, having to put weapon focus on it, and then having to spend a 3rd feat to fight with it two-handed to make it worth while.

Frenzy Beserker is just a step up from the Barbarian, how frenzy grants a +6 for STR rather than the +4 from the Rage, Frenzy also grants an additional attack on a full attack at full B/A bonus (Much like the Arcane spell "haste" but without the base speed bonus) But the chance of running out of enemies and having to attack my own party is a bit of a bad idea, seeing as I'm the strongest by far....

The Ravager is interesting, but to even get the opportunity to try the class, you must first undergo an almost gladiator style of initiation, where between 2 and 16 NPC's attack you, and you MUST survive, or you outright die. Being able to deflect magic is good, and being able to deal 1d4 of CON damage is pretty handy in most situations, but getting there is the issue.

Rage Mage is an interesting one, if you like the idea of being the power house with a few spells up your sleeve, then this is a good one, but best to not be played as a Half Orc, because the -2 INT and -2 CHA don't help with spell casting. This class is almost similar to the Druid who has the Natural Spell Feat, except the Rage Mage is arcane, aposed to the Druids Divine spells, and Rage Mage won't have as many spells as the Druid....

Hope this helps a few people out, and please let me know if you know of any other Prestiges for either the Barbarian, The Warlock and the Cleric,

Many thanks!

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-05, 09:18 AM
Runescarred Berserker

This one is setting specific, but is one of the best barbarian PRC's out there.

ShumpBorag
2014-06-05, 09:24 AM
I've had a read into it, and I'm not hugely sure how this scarring business works,
We're not playing with XP, it looks interesting, I'll give you that, and requires some requirements, and taking some levels in Beserker.

It's a cool class, but I don't know if I'll gain as much as I'll loose from the barbarian's natural abilities.

John Longarrow
2014-06-05, 09:38 AM
1/2 Orc and Orc paragon may be what you are looking for. They make you much more orkie...

ShumpBorag
2014-06-05, 09:53 AM
Orc Paragon?
Never heard of it, what's that all about?

Darrin
2014-06-05, 10:39 AM
Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II) can be fun for meatbags, if you're good and like curbstomping evil outsiders.

If you're not good, Menacing Brute (Races of Destiny) might be worth a dip to get Resourceful Search.

Otherwise, a classic combo: Bear Warrior + Warshaper.

John Longarrow
2014-06-05, 10:54 AM
Orc Paragon?
Never heard of it, what's that all about?

Racial Paragon classes are 3 level prestige classes out of (iirc) PHB 2? that make you more of what ever race you are. If you are 1/2 orc you qualify to take both 1/2 orc paragon for 3 levels then either orc paragon OR human paragon.
3rd level ability is a +2 to one stat. IIRC both 1/2 orc an orc paragon are both full BAB and give rage.

They are also the only prestige classes you can START as. You can make a 1/2 orc paragon-3, orc paragon-3, frenzied berserker-x, what ever other prestige classes you want without ever taking a base class.

Garktz
2014-06-05, 12:20 PM
Well, Frenzied Berserker does grant Frezny and you keep rage so go frenzy while on rage and you get a nice +10 str

Also, are you a good guy? nice and kind? REALLY nice and kind?
you might want to check the boed, there you can find this
righteous wrath (http://dndtools.eu/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/righteous-wrath--2458/) While raging, you maintain clarity of mind unusual among barbarians. You are perfectly able to deal nonlethal damage, stop your attacks to show mercy, and distinguish friend from foe even in the heat of your rage.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-06-05, 01:31 PM
Frenzy Beserker is just a step up from the Barbarian, how frenzy grants a +6 for STR rather than the +4 from the Rage, Frenzy also grants an additional attack on a full attack at full B/A bonus (Much like the Arcane spell "haste" but without the base speed bonus) But the chance of running out of enemies and having to attack my own party is a bit of a bad idea, seeing as I'm the strongest by far....

While frenzied, the character cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Intimidate), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can she cast spells, drink potions, activate magic items, or read scrolls.

Just have a party member carry around a bag of marbles or a grease spell. You'll fall prone each time you try to move more than half your speed since you automatically fail your balance check. Balance is a dexterity based skill.

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-05, 01:57 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#orcParagon

Half orc paragon, three levels, full bab, +to intimidate, rage 1/day, +2 to strength.
Orc paragon, three levels, full bab, Improved Darkvision, +2 damage vs Elves, +2 bonus to strength.

I prefer the human pragon class to the orc paragon class though.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon

three levels long, all skills are class skills, make 1 skill a class skill forever, bonus feat, +2 to an ability of your choice (con). It is 3/4 bab though, so you loose a point the first level.

Another interesting option is Stoneblessed. It grants a bonus to Con, and the ability to count as a dwarf. That lets you get into dwarf paragon, meaning you can snag another +2 con and a bunch of goodies, like +1 to all saves and +30ft darkvision.

Barbarian 4 / Half-orc paragon 3 / human paragon 3 / stoneblessed 3 / Dwarf Paragon 3

WeaselGuy
2014-06-05, 02:05 PM
Don't know if it's the way you want to go, but Fist of the Forest (http://dndtools.eu/classes/fist-of-the-forest/) is rather nifty...

Diovid
2014-06-06, 03:07 AM
Some often mentioned prc choices for Barbarians are (in no particular order):

Frenzied Berserker
Fist of the Forest
Primeval
Warshaper
Bear Warrior
Runescarred Berserker
Totem Rager
Champion of Gwynharwyf
Frostrager
Wildrunner
Black Blood Cultist

It really depends on the exact direction you want to take him.

Kiassic91
2014-07-02, 04:50 PM
I personally love the bear warrior. mixed with a little magic of arcanum it can wreck some major havoc.

rg9000
2014-07-02, 06:54 PM
bardbarian