PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Base Weapon Rules (Weapon Training) (PEACH)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-05, 09:25 AM
So this came up on another thread about changes to pathfinder and I wanted to get some ideas for more keywords.

A Keyword should have roughly the power of a feat but a bit more flexible. These keywords will replace feats and if a keyword gives you a similar ability will work as that feat for prerequisites.

Base Rule
Weapon Training (Ex)
At level 1 each Non-Caster and Partial-Caster class may select a weapon training from the following list. Whenever using a weapon that they are proficient with they may add this Weapon Training to that weapon.

For every 4 BAB a Non-Caster gains they get one additional weapon training. Monk levels count as full BAB when determining this number.

For every 5 BAB a Partial-Caster (such as a paladin, ranger, or bard) gains a weapon training.

Subtract any full caster level from your BAB when you determine when you may select new weapon trainings.

Base weapon damage has changed to the following. For non- proficiency ou no longer take a penalty to attack rolls but a penalty to damage dice.

Proficient Weapon: 1d10 base damage
Non-Proficient Weapon: 1d6 base damage

Special: Fighters and Monks may replace any bonus feat with a weapon training.

End Base Ruls

So weapons should only be as strong as the person holding them. A Rogue with a dagger should be as damaging (dangerous) as a barbarian with a greataxe... Before class features are encolved that give bonuses to damage and such (rage/sneak attack).

Proficient Weapon: 1d10 base damage
Non-Proficient Weapon: 1d6 base damage

Weapons will each have a damage type (piercing/slashing/bludgeoning) and one free weapon training Keyword.

Example Weapon
Dagger
Type: Piercing
Free Weapon Keyword: X
Additional Keywords: By PC.

Critical modifiers will be worked on and reassigned based on weapon. Critical hits may be reworked for my games.

Weapon Training Keywords

Reach: As a free action you may increase your reach by 5ft by lunging forward during the strike or extending the weapon.

Ranged: You may throw this weapon up to 30 feet. You may use your dexterity modifier for the attack roll or your strength. You deal normal damage to a creature on a hit. At level 8 you may ricochette the weapon off the target and back to you (free action). At level 16 your range increases to 60 feet.

Launching (Special): Bows, Crossbows, and other launching weapons are launching weapons. They have a range of 100 feet but deal one die step down. However launching weapons ignore all DR except for alignment bases. Dexterity (Modifier for first shot, 1/2 modifier for additiinal shots each turn for damage) is used for attack and damage.

Bows: At level 8 the range becomes 150 feet. At level 16 the range becomes 300

Crossbows: At level 8 you deal additional damage equal to your minimum damage. At level 16 your critical multiplier becomes x6. This doesn't stack with any weapon training that increases critical multipliers.

Charging: When you charge with a weapon it deals additional damage equal to your minimum damage with the weapon.

Anti-Charging: When you hit a creature that charged since the end of your last turn you deal additional Damage equal to the minimum damage you normally would deal with this weapon.

Brutal 1: Anytime you roll a 1 on your damage die it counts as if you rolled a 2. This increases your minimum damage for other abilities. At level 8 this increases to Brutal 2. At level 16 this increases to Brutal 3.

Maneuver: Treat your size as one larger when performing a combat maneuver. When you are 8th level you count as 2 sizes larger, at 16th level you count as three sizes larger.

Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning: Weapon deals this kind of damage. All weapons gain this property but it may be switched depending on how the weapon is used. Some weapons (one without a point) would not be able to deal piecing etc. Adding this keyword to a slashing sword weapon allows you to hit with the broad of your sword or even the hilt to deal bludgeoning damage or if you choose piercing it allows you to thrust the tip I to an enemy to count as piercing damage. You may add this multiple times, it doesn't stack but each attack you may as a free action change the damage type.

High Crit: Increase critical multiplier by 1. At level 8 this increase to +2. At level 16 this increases to +3

Two Weapon Fighting: Each time you have a weapon attack, make two attack rolls. If you hit with the second weapon it deals minimum damage. At level 8 you gain a +4 to AC/Touch AC. At level 16 the bonus to AC/Touch AC is +8. You gain this bonus each round until the end of your next turn that you used two weapon fighting.

Power Attack: When wielding this weapon in one hand you deal 1-1/2 x Str mod damage. When wielding this weapon in two hands you add 2x Str mod to damage rolls. At level 8 count your strength score as 4 higher for this extra damage. At level 16 count your strength score as 6 higher for this extra damage.

=====
Feats

Weapon Specialization:
Prerequisites: BAB +2

When you take this feat, select one weapon (it takes 30 minutes to retrain to another weapon). Increase the base damage by one step (1d10 becomes 2d6) and gain a +1 bonus to hit. This feat doesn't stack with itself, each time you choose this feat you must select a new weapon. At level 8 you gain a +3 to hit. At level 16 you gain a +5 to hit. The to hit bonus does not stack with itself only take the highest bonus from this feat.

Reserve Training
Prerequisites: BAB +3
Benefit: By spending 1 hour training you may switch out your weapon keyword for another.

At level 8 this training time takes 15 minutes.

At level 16 this training takes a Full Round Action.

=====

So a level 1 Fighter with weapon focus (sickle) can select 1 keyword to add to his weapon attacks.

Sickle: 2d6 + Str Mod Damage
Weapon type: Slashing
Keywords: Power Attack

So his attack would be 1d20 + BAB + Str (+4) + 1
His damage would be 2d6 + 1-1/2 Str (6) slashing damage. Minimum damage: 8
Maximum damage: 18

At level (or BAB?) 4, 8, 12, 16, 18, and 20 non-casters gain another weapon training keyword that they can add to the weapons.

The beauty is that if you keep all HP for monster the same, you can speed up combat (yes 3.P combat can be just as slow as 4e... I've had 3 PC fights last an hour in both editions). But he could grab the one handed weapon in two hands to up his damage, grab another weapon, he could grab a shield, or he could keep it bare so that he can use other items or potions. These other options aren't as painful to a person wanting go a different route since their damage output won't suffer. Heck a Monk could choose a maneuver Keyword for his fists and be better at grappling or tripping while retaining his own ability to deal damage.

I need to update these and add in a table with example weapons. There will be no "simple" "light" or "exotic" weapons, just what each class is proficient with and what they are not. This cuts down on repetitive weapons. Also there can be rules for creating your own weapon.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-05, 09:26 AM
Reserved for weapons and possibly feats

Example Weapons

Unarmed Strike
Type: Bludgeoning
Free Training Keyword: Two Weapon Fighting or Maneuver

Dagger
Free Training Keyword: Ranged

Short Sword
Type: Piercing or Slashing
Free Training Keyword: Anti-Charge

Spear
Free Training Keyword: Charging

Long Spear
Free Training Keyword: Reach

Longsword
Type: Slashing
Free Training Keyword: Power Attack

Bow
Free Training Keyword: Launching (Bow)

Crossbow
Free Training Keyword: Launching (Crossbow)

Hand Crossbow
Free Training Keyword: Launching (Hand crossbow)

Warhammer
Type: Bludgeoning
Free Training Keyword: Brutal 1

Greataxe
Free Training Keyword: High Critical

These still need to be edited but I'll add some optional keywords to each. So you could buy a dagger that was made specifically for TWF but not for ranged combat.

So it would look something like this...

Dagger
Type: Slashing or Peircing
Free Weapon Training Keyword: [Range]

Punching Dagger
Free Weapon Training Keyword: [High Critical]

Kukri
Free Weapon Training Keyword: [High Critical]

And so on...

I'll need to make a table for this...

upho
2014-06-06, 12:35 PM
First off, I like the initiative. Good to see someone making a serious attempt at improving the weapon mechanics.

Re: the system: I'm not yet convinced. I'll try a basic barb CaGM bruiser:

Ms Keywordíe Basebarb Babe
Lvl 20 Female Human Invulnerable Rager

Raging Stats (starting scores before racial)
Str 46 (16), Dex 14 (12), Con 32 (15), Int 10 (10), Wis 18 (14) Cha 7 (7)

Feats - - - - - - - - - - - Rage Powers
1: C Refl., Raging Vitality - 2: Lesser BT
3: Weapon Spec. - - - - - 4: Superstition
5: Impr. Sunder - - - - - - 6: BT
7: Greater Sunder - - - - - 8: Witch Hunter
9: ER (Spell Sunder) - - - 10: Greater BT
11: Dazing Assault - - - - 12: CaGM
13: Raging Brutality - - - -14: Increased DR
15: Ability Focus (DA) - - 16: Reckless Abandon
17: Damage Reduction - - 18: Unexpected Strike
19: Iron Will - - - - - - - -20: Strength Surge

Items
+4 huge furious longsword, +4 huge courageous longsword, +6 belt of physical perfection, +4 wis headband, skin of proteus (huge size), +4 manual of gainful exercise

Keywords
1: Reach
4: Maneuver (3 size categories larger)
8: TWF (attack twice deal min dmg on 2nd hit, +8 AC/touch AC)
12: Charging (+min dmg on charge)
16: Brutal 3
20: Ranged (60 ft.)
Longsword: PA +36 dmg (1.5 x (18 str +6))

Attack: +49/+44/+39/+34, -2 on off-hand (+20 BAB, +18 str, +5 WS, +4 enhancement, +2 furious main hand)
Avrg Dmg: 73 per main hand hit, 67 per off-hand hit (4d6 (brut 3) +53 (+36 PA str, +11 con, +4 enhancement, +2 furious main hand))

525 full attack DPR vs. Balor (CR 20, AC 36, HP 370 HP), not including crits, charge bonus or rage powers

Space 15 x 15 ft., Reach 30 ft. (counts as colossal size for maneuvers)

----

Well, my conclusion is that the lack of a PA atk penalty and the incredibly powerful TWF would make str-based melee/thrown builds very powerful. Not to mention charge and Spell Sunder builds like the above. I think too much is dependent on str, perhaps it would be better if at least the Charging keyword got a set number instead of min dmg (which is very close to avrg dmg in higher levels).

More generally speaking though, my biggest problem with this concept is that the ability to choose any keyword makes the weapons way too bland. I really think there should be notable differences between say a dagger and a guisarme, differences which characters know of even without knowing the wielder's specific training.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-06, 03:15 PM
First off, I like the initiative. Good to see someone making a serious attempt at improving the weapon mechanics.

Re: the system: I'm not yet convinced. I'll try a basic barb CaGM bruiser:

Ms Keywordíe Basebarb Babe
Lvl 20 Female Human Invulnerable Rager

Raging Stats (starting scores before racial)
Str 46 (16), Dex 14 (12), Con 32 (15), Int 10 (10), Wis 18 (14) Cha 7 (7)

Feats - - - - - - - - - - - Rage Powers
1: C Refl., Raging Vitality - 2: Lesser BT
3: Weapon Spec. - - - - - 4: Superstition
5: Impr. Sunder - - - - - - 6: BT
7: Greater Sunder - - - - - 8: Witch Hunter
9: ER (Spell Sunder) - - - 10: Greater BT
11: Dazing Assault - - - - 12: CaGM
13: Raging Brutality - - - -14: Increased DR
15: Ability Focus (DA) - - 16: Reckless Abandon
17: Damage Reduction - - 18: Unexpected Strike
19: Iron Will - - - - - - - -20: Strength Surge

Items
+4 huge furious longsword, +4 huge courageous longsword, +6 belt of physical perfection, +4 wis headband, skin of proteus (huge size), +4 manual of gainful exercise

Keywords
1: Reach
4: Maneuver (3 size categories larger)
8: TWF (attack twice deal min dmg on 2nd hit, +8 AC/touch AC)
12: Charging (+min dmg on charge)
16: Brutal 3
20: Ranged (60 ft.)
Longsword: PA +36 dmg (1.5 x (18 str +6))

Attack: +49/+44/+39/+34, -2 on off-hand (+20 BAB, +18 str, +5 WS, +4 enhancement, +2 furious main hand)
Avrg Dmg: 73 per main hand hit, 67 per off-hand hit (4d6 (brut 3) +53 (+36 PA str, +11 con, +4 enhancement, +2 furious main hand))

525 full attack DPR vs. Balor (CR 20, AC 36, HP 370 HP), not including crits, charge bonus or rage powers

Space 15 x 15 ft., Reach 30 ft. (counts as colossal size for maneuvers)

----

Well, my conclusion is that the lack of a PA atk penalty and the incredibly powerful TWF would make str-based melee/thrown builds very powerful. Not to mention charge and Spell Sunder builds like the above. I think too much is dependent on str, perhaps it would be better if at least the Charging keyword got a set number instead of min dmg (which is very close to avrg dmg in higher levels).

More generally speaking though, my biggest problem with this concept is that the ability to choose any keyword makes the weapons way too bland. I really think there should be notable differences between say a dagger and a guisarme, differences which characters know of even without knowing the wielder's specific training.

Well let me start by saying that I had 3.5/PF/4.0 in mind when making these, that and FF 10. But so far I was thinking lower levels (10 and under).

This was also a first draft and I'm glad someone brought this up.

I understand why you're concerned about the HP damage this Barbarian can do... However, and I'm serious here, with this limited optimization, this is damn good.

If a Balor gets within reach of a high level non-caster martial type then he should be destroyed. It should be absolutely stupid for anything to get up in the level 20 barbarian's face.

Just like if a wizard wanted a balor dead/captured then it wouldn't be to hard for the wizard to make it so. Yes Balors are high level threats, but if they are childplay to tier 1 classes then they should be, in a way, childplay to other classes at high levels. Just like a level 1 creature is childsplay to a level 1 Fighter and can be taken out quite simply... Why not keep it on the same scale? Of course this is assuming that the Barbarian can get within reach of the Balor. To be a threat a Balor should be more than a a meat bag. Although even in 3.P you can charge a balor to death quite easy so not much has changed between that and this.

HP damage is the worst kind of builds in 3.P, your build and others like it could make it worth it. Heck, you wouldn't have to optimize at all to get respectful damage. But damage can only deal damage you can't really do anything else you know, sure you can kill but that's about it.

Big numbers doesn't mean to much.

But anyways.

What I want to do now, is to set this up to work for lower opt games and higher opt games. I can see how this rubs people the wrong way.

Perhaps putting them into groups, groups that don't stack within the same group.

These keywords (except base properties) are based on the player's abilities to use a weapon not on the weapon itself. The way that weapons are different from each other has really nothing to do with keywords. A high enough level Fighter could use a quarterstaff to deal slashing damage by swinging the staff hard enough in a certain angle.

Split them into two or three groups. Properties do not stack with each other within the same list. You can have multiple keywords from the same group but you will only be able to have one active at a time. Make a Monk/Fighter feat that allows you to use certain ones at the same time with specific weapons. Like a Monk can TWF and Power Attack with his unarmed strike.

Combat Style
Charger
Power Attack
Two Weapon Fighting
Anti-Charge
Maneuver

Weapon Augment
High Critical
Reach
Brutal
Reach
Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing: May change your damage type to 1 other. This replaces the base property instead of stacking. This can be activated with others on this list.

Base Properties (These are base properties that all weapons have)
Launching: These weapons have a range or launch ammunition.
Melee: These weapons can be used without penalty in melee.
Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing: This is the type of damage a weapon does
Held: Off-Hand, 1 Handed, 2 Handed

Off-Hand: These weapons can be used with TWF at no penalty to damage. These can only be wielded in 1 hand and add 1/2 Strength Modifier to damage.

1 Handed: These weapons can be used in 1 hand or 2 hands. If used in 1 hand they add the wielder's strength modifier to damage. If used in 2 hands they add 1-1/2 times strength modifier to damage. These weapons can be used with TWF but their damage die is reduced to 1d6.

2 Handed: These weapons can only be used in 2 hands. They add 1-1/2 x wielder's strength modifier to damage.

Critical rules: all start with 20/x3, for every point lower than 20 you decrease the multiplier by 1

Dagger
Base Properties: Melee, Off Hand, Piercing or Slashing, Launching (10')
Threat Range: 19-20/x2

Longsword
Base Properties: Melee, Slashing, 1-Handed

Great Sword
Base Properties: Melee, Slashing, 2-Handed

Spear
Base Properties: Melee, Launching (20'), 1-handed
Threat Range: 20/x2

Weapons will only be as bland as you want them to be, a DM could easily make his own list and add specific keywords to weapons... Or you can allow a player to mold his own style and use a weapon the way they see fit. Putting reach on a dagger? Easily could be a rope or chain or a whip with a dagger on the end.

I'm still working on this... But thanks!