PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D 3.5 Constructs and elemental spirits.

Illven
2014-06-05, 11:55 AM
Under Golem making it mentions that part of the process is to bind and enslave an elemental spirit of earth.

Since I'm switching around the undead typically being evil concept, with the Golem making apparently being okay. I was wondering if other constructs were explicitly called out as being animated by another elemental spirit (Fire, Water, Wind, Positive, and Negative.)

Do they exist, or should I homebrew them.

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-05, 12:03 PM
Automatons from MM2 are called out as being animated by shadow energy/spirits or something, and I think this is given as a reason for their unreliable performance. Worth a look.

Frankly, I always thought the binding elementals thing was almost as bad as using un-life energy to create mockeries of the living. So I largely ditched that fluff, since slavery really isn't in line with like half of the alignments, and constructs really should be capable of being animated simply by magic (like the animate objects spell and that type of thing).

Vedhin
2014-06-05, 03:09 PM
Under Golem making it mentions that part of the process is to bind and enslave an elemental spirit of earth.

Since I'm switching around the undead typically being evil concept, with the Golem making apparently being okay. I was wondering if other constructs were explicitly called out as being animated by another elemental spirit (Fire, Water, Wind, Positive, and Negative.)

Do they exist, or should I homebrew them.

Quite a few. The one I can think of off the top of my head is the Magmacore Golem, with Fire and Earth elementals bound to it.

Illven
2014-06-05, 04:03 PM
Automatons from MM2 are called out as being animated by shadow energy/spirits or something, and I think this is given as a reason for their unreliable performance. Worth a look.

Frankly, I always thought the binding elementals thing was almost as bad as using un-life energy to create mockeries of the living. So I largely ditched that fluff, since slavery really isn't in line with like half of the alignments, and constructs really should be capable of being animated simply by magic (like the animate objects spell and that type of thing).

Automatons are animated by shadow energy and not spirits, but the MM2 does have Nimblewrights which are animated by water spirits. Thank you for reminding me of that book. :smallsmile:

Quite a few. The one I can think of off the top of my head is the Magmacore Golem, with Fire and Earth elementals bound to it.

Do you what book they are in?

Vedhin
2014-06-05, 04:07 PM
Do you what book they are in?

MMIII, I think. Otherwise, IV or V.

ShurikVch
2014-06-05, 04:35 PM
Minogon (from Neverwinter Nights) was statted in Dragon #302
According to description, it's animated by fire elemental, and controlled by soul of minotaur