PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Greek demigod template

ACULA
2014-06-05, 04:26 PM
So, I was thinking in a campaign setting and an idea come across my head: a Greek setting were the players are demigods or chosen by the gods. Greek demigods, so they wouldn't be incredible powerful. So, I am making this serie of templates and am posting for ask feedback.
I will organize them by name, except Zeus, that is the principal god.

Zeus

Template abilities:
-+2 racial bonus on diplomacy and intimidate: Zeus's sons are god dealing with people

God's favor: can call upon Zeus help, creating an variety of effects:
-Deal 1d6/level electricity damage as a ranged touch attack 3/day, range 10 ft/level.
-Create a blast of electricity, dealing 1d6+1/level damage in a 15-feet radius, reflex DC 10+half character level+cha modifier

Either +2 wis, +2 str, +2 dex or +2 cha

Level adjustment:+1

Aphrodite

Template abilities:

-+2 racial bonus in diplomacy and bluff: Aphrodite sons have silver tongs

God's favor: can call upon Aphrodite help, mimicking some spells with a caster level equal your character level:
-Charm person, three times per day, as a bard of your level
-Tongues, three times per day

- +2 charisma: Aphrodite sons are very charming

Apollo

Template abilities:
+2 racial bonus to performance (choose one) and heal checks: Apollo sons have innate skill of art and cure

- 3/day can call upon a +2 insight bonus in a skill check, save, attack rolls or damage rolls, as an immediate action: Apollo sons have some insight about what will happen

1/day can cast good hope as a bard of your level

Either +2 wis or +2 cha

Ares

-+2 racial bonus on intimidate and knowledge checks related to war: sons of Ares have insight about war and people fell pressed by their presence

-+2 con and either +2 dex or +2 str: sons of Ares are someway tougher and better in battle than ordinary of its kind

-Can call upon their father blessing 1/day/two character levels , adding their level to their strength or dexterity for 1 round/level

Level adjustment +1

Artemis

+2 racial bonus in survival and knowledge (nature) checks: Artemis chosen's have natural insight about nature

+2 dex, wis or con: Artemis sons draw power of the nature, making then tougher, more agile or wiser than ordinary of its kind

-Can call upon their father blessing 1/day/two character levels , adding their level to their wisdon or dexterity for 1 round/level

Athena

Template abilities:

-+2 racial bonus to all knowledge skills: Athena chosen have innate knowledge.

-Gain knowledge devotion as bonus feat

-+2 int and +2 wis.

Demeter:

+2 racial bonus in knowledge (nature) and survival: Demeter sons have insight about nature.

God's favor: can call upon their mother help and create a variety of effects:
1/day can create an area of positive energy, with a duration of 10 round+1/level. This gives to 1 creatur/two levels fast healing 1.
For every two levels you posses beyond 1 , the fast healing amount increase by 1.
1/day can plant grow as an druid of their level

+2 wis

Dionysus

+2 racial bonus on perform and diplomacy checks: Dionysus sons are good dealing with people

God's favor: can call upon their father help and create a variety of effects:
2/day cast goodberry as a druid of their level
2/day cast calm animals as a druid of their level
2/day cast create food and water as a druid of their level

Either +2 wis or +2 cha

Level adjustment +1

Hades

+2 racial bonus on intimidate and knowledge(religion) checks

God's favor: can call upon their father intimidating presence to dead and create a variety of effects:
Can bring the dead to help him. However, doing so is draining. Half character level times per day, can summon undeads as per the Summon Undead I cast by a cleric of your level. After ' round/level has passed, the animated corpses vanish
-You can summon greater undead, at a cost. You can take Con damage and add the Con damage to the number of undeads you summom. These ability can only be used if you is capable of taking con damage and only damage you take conts. If some effect reduce the con damage you take, you doesn't count it.
-You can only summom zombies or skeletons with this ability
-At level 4, this increase to summon undead II
-At level 8, this increase to summon undead III
-At level 12, this increase to summon undead IV
Cha modifier times per day rebuke or control a undead creature as a cleric of your level, this cannot be used to fuel divine feats.

Either +2 wis or +2 cha

Level adjustment +1

Hecate

+2 racial bonus on spellcraft and knowledge(arcane) checks

God's favor: can call upon the magic side of their lineage and create a variety of effects:
3/day launch 1 missile/level of energy, dealing 1d6+1 damage as an ranged touch attack. Missiles made of fire, cold or acid have no additional benefits or hazard, those made of electricity deal only 1d6 damage but you have +3 in the attack roll if enemy is wearing metal armor, and those made of sonic deal only 1d6-1 damage but ignore hardness
1/day cast battering ran as a wizard of their level.

Either +2 int or +2 cha

Level adjustment +1

Hephaestus

+2 racial bonus on craft checks

Fire resistance 5: Hephaestus sons skin resist exceptionally well to fire

God's favor: can call upon their father help and create a variety of effects to, 3/day, launch a bolt of fire dealing 1d6/level fire damage as a ranged touch attack, range 10ft/level

+2 con, +2 int or +2 str: Hephaestus sons are tougher, stronger or smarter than ordinary of its kind.

Level adjustment +1

Hermes

+2 racial bonus to sleight of hand and bluff: Hermes sons have agile fingers and are good making people believe they are
saying the truth

Base land speed increased by 5 feet: Hermes sons are quick.

God's favor: can call upon their father help and 3/day add their level to attack, damage, ac, saves or one skill check. These ability can be used as an immediate action and lasts for 1 round.

+2 int or dex
Level adjustment +1

Poseidon

-+2 racial bonus on Swim and profession(sailor) checks: Poseidon sons are naturally attuned to the waves and ships
-Constant water breathing effect
-+2 con or +2 wis

So, any suggestions or ideas? I'll be posting the other gods son.
Please feedback
EDIT:Added poseidon

Hanuman
2014-06-07, 12:16 PM
I suggest using pathfinder's Mythic system for the creation of any superhero or demigod.

ACULA
2014-06-09, 01:02 PM
I suggest using pathfinder's Mythic system for the creation of any superhero or demigod.

I looked up at the mythic sistem, i liked the idea, but I think it was a litlle bit strong. Thanks for the suggestion.

Waylor
2014-06-09, 01:17 PM
I'd make a +1 base template for all of them, most likely about being hard to kill because they have a god's favor.

Then I'd staple on top of that another +1 for each specific god. a small shiny feature theme related and a spell-like that makes sense a couple times a day.

NichG
2014-06-09, 03:04 PM
These strike me as overpriced for what they do, especially since most of the abilities are very fixed in nature and quickly become obsolete. For a +1 template, I would make sure that each template at the very least gives +2 to a stat with no stat penalties, or the +4/-2 pattern, unless you had abilities that really never went obsolete.

Edit: For example, give sons of Ares the +2 Con rather than +1hp/level. Give sons of Apollo +2 Wis. That kind of thing.

Hanuman
2014-06-09, 06:15 PM
I looked up at the mythic sistem, i liked the idea, but I think it was a litlle bit strong. Thanks for the suggestion.

So like a muggle demigod. So wayne gretzky?

Angelalex242
2014-06-16, 11:32 PM
Wouldn't be incredibly powerful?

Have you SEEN what Hercules can do?

I'd take a different idea:

Demigods can take any one Salient Divine Ability possessed by their divine parent. They can use it once per day if it's limited use. If the original ability is at will, the Demigod can use it at will too. (Hercules and Indomitable Strength)

For example, a son of Poseidon might take Divine Water Mastery and essentially be Aquaman thereafter.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-17, 12:22 AM
A couple mythology-related critiques I have:

Hephaestus-spawn should recieve an option for +2 Int. we are talking about the crafting god here.

The Aphrodite-spawn should just have +2 charisma, with no strength penalty. Aeneas was just as good a soldier and worker as any other trojan.

Add a nymph-spawn, as there are several of those in mythology (achilles being the most notable)

What happens if the character is a demigod with two divine parents (those are not actually uncommon in myth)? Would they gain both templates?

Judging by some of the content here, I'm guessing this is inspired more by Percy Jackson than actual myth. Would I be correct on that?

silphael
2014-06-17, 08:02 AM
Athena as a parent seems rather bland : you have no fluffy ability. I know the bonuses are VERY strong already (+2 int AND wis, +2 to all knowledge checks...) but half of her fluff is still missing : Athena is the goddess of wisdom (knowledge) and war, not only wisdom.

Plus there is the point of Athena not having childrens, but just write "chosen of the gods and children" and you're fine here.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-17, 10:25 AM
Plus there is the point of Athena not having childrens, but just write "chosen of the gods and children" and you're fine here.

Add one for Artemis and Hera, too. They favored a hero or two.

Demigods can take any one Salient Divine Ability possessed by their divine parent. They can use it once per day if it's limited use. If the original ability is at will, the Demigod can use it at will too. (Hercules and Indomitable Strength).

I disagree. There are way too many instant-success salient abilities out there, any of which could destroy the game in numerous ways (divine smite comes to mind). However, I do feel that some of these, particularly Zeus, could stand to be buffed. Give them the option of two ability score buffs and then it would make sense.

Also, you forgot Hermes.

NichG
2014-06-17, 05:43 PM
The stat bonuses seem reasonable now I'd say! I'm going to look at particular abilities.

- The Ares ability seems a bit too good now, and doesn't specify how long it lasts. In a low-level campaign its probably not too good, but once you hit Lv6 or so the bonuses start to pile up. I'd probably make this a (Lv/2) bonus for 1 round/lv, which is still quite nice since it stacks with other things (and its mechanically similar to the best scaling stat-boost spell in the game, Owl's Insight).

- The Hades summon undead ability seems unclear to me - what does it mean to add to the value of undead summoned? Is that total HD or caster level or what? May or may not be problematic, I'm not sure yet, but the Con damage is potentially either untenable for most characters or too easy to negate by e.g. getting immunity to ability damage or even a Con score of '-' by being undead yourself.

- Demeter's granted power seems underwhelming compared to the others. What about something like being able to set up a positive energy aura 3/day (as per the spell Vigorous Circle), or even something like Plant Growth?

- Dionysus' granted powers also seem a little underwhelming. Its a bit of an odd fit, but what about replacing one of them with a Personal version of Delay Poison (e.g. you can drink as much as you want without consequences, until later)?

silphael
2014-06-17, 06:37 PM
Well, Hades summoning undead is kinda odd, Hades is more a keeper of the dead than a dead riser... he is usually grim, cold and so on... but won't leave his residents go out. Don't forget Hades has some bound with earth and gemstones.

ACULA
2014-06-26, 12:45 PM
The stat bonuses seem reasonable now I'd say! I'm going to look at particular abilities.

- The Ares ability seems a bit too good now, and doesn't specify how long it lasts. In a low-level campaign its probably not too good, but once you hit Lv6 or so the bonuses start to pile up. I'd probably make this a (Lv/2) bonus for 1 round/lv, which is still quite nice since it stacks with other things (and its mechanically similar to the best scaling stat-boost spell in the game, Owl's Insight).

- The Hades summon undead ability seems unclear to me - what does it mean to add to the value of undead summoned? Is that total HD or caster level or what? May or may not be problematic, I'm not sure yet, but the Con damage is potentially either untenable for most characters or too easy to negate by e.g. getting immunity to ability damage or even a Con score of '-' by being undead yourself.

- Demeter's granted power seems underwhelming compared to the others. What about something like being able to set up a positive energy aura 3/day (as per the spell Vigorous Circle), or even something like Plant Growth?

- Dionysus' granted powers also seem a little underwhelming. Its a bit of an odd fit, but what about replacing one of them with a Personal version of Delay Poison (e.g. you can drink as much as you want without consequences, until later)?

Specified the duration of Ares sons ability, also changed it.
Changed the Hades summon ability, and tried to make it more clear.
Changed Demeter ability.
I may change Dionysus granted power, but have no ideas at this moment.

Add one for Artemis and Hera, too. They favored a hero or two.

Added Artemis and Hermes templates. Looking for ideas to Hera. Stil don't know what abilities give to Hera.

Athena as a parent seems rather bland : you have no fluffy ability. I know the bonuses are VERY strong already (+2 int AND wis, +2 to all knowledge checks...) but half of her fluff is still missing : Athena is the goddess of wisdom (knowledge) and war, not only wisdom.

Changed the text, thinking in a change to Atena sons abilities.

A couple mythology-related critiques I have:

Hephaestus-spawn should recieve an option for +2 Int. we are talking about the crafting god here.

The Aphrodite-spawn should just have +2 charisma, with no strength penalty. Aeneas was just as good a soldier and worker as any other trojan.

Add a nymph-spawn, as there are several of those in mythology (achilles being the most notable)

What happens if the character is a demigod with two divine parents (those are not actually uncommon in myth)? Would they gain both templates?

Judging by some of the content here, I'm guessing this is inspired more by Percy Jackson than actual myth. Would I be correct on that?

Changed Hephaestus sons options. Changed Aphrodite abilities.

Frayed_Rose666
2017-04-12, 07:13 PM
I was wondering what I should do if I wanted to combine the 3.5 Demigod template with this one to be more personalized for Hades and Pluto. I was thinking about making two twin characters that have the same mother and father but two different parts of their father. ( From the Rick Riordan series). Here's the other template:dandwiki.com/wiki/Demigod_(3.5e_Template)

The-0-Endless
2017-04-17, 07:55 PM
I was thinking sons of Poseidon would get an earthquake spell at 8th level, and get shape water as a bonus cantrip to start with, with the potential area of the water getting 2 more cubic feet per level.