PDA

View Full Version : Back up your D&D files now!

Jay R
2014-06-05, 05:08 PM
My flash drive just got fried, containing the only copy of the world I'm running.

The maps, the political infrastructure, the descriptions of people, homebrewed monsters, and even the exact powers of magic items the party has found but not yet identified are now gone.

Go immediately and make backups of all your files. Don't wait.

TheCountAlucard
2014-06-05, 05:27 PM
In addition to files stored on numerous computers, I also tend to detail my campaign stuff in a series of creepy notebooks.

I also have stuff on my smartphone.

It'd take a concerted effort to kill a game of mine by destroying the files.

In fact, I'm presently only running one PbP game, so what I'm worried about is player apathy. :smalltongue:

Madeiner
2014-06-05, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, happened to me too, fortunately i only lost minor things.
Since then, i keep files on google drive, on a flash drive, and on an HDD in multiple copies...

ngilop
2014-06-05, 06:13 PM
im old fashioned... all my stuff is on paper.. yeah it takes up a lot fo space but no EMP is gonna delete my stuffs.

also its all in my brain AND eletroci files. so yeah they hav to EMP me, burn everything then kill me ( or at least removemy brain) in order to get rid of my campaign world.

Anderlith
2014-06-05, 06:28 PM
I use notebooks, but if you want to insure security without a lot of hassle & you want to be able to maybe add an idea quickly to your notes via phone because you don't carry a laptop with you all the time use Dropbox. It's free has a bunch of space. & you can get it on any internet device. I use it to view my pdfs of books when I'm on the go

Gnome Alone
2014-06-05, 06:37 PM
Good advice. Sorry Jay R, and not just because them is my real initials too. Sounds so frustrating. Way to turn it into something positive though; I mean, at least sharing the experience so peoplefolk can learn from it.

Kid Jake
2014-06-05, 06:38 PM
Same thing happened to me a few months ago and it took me forever just to cobble together something that resembled what I used to have. Also lost six months of pre-made comics including most of a 24 comic story arc.

Damn near makes you sick.

Phoenixguard09
2014-06-05, 11:37 PM
Ah Jay, poor bugger.

I'll go back mine up again now. I've been lazy lately. ;)

Hyena
2014-06-06, 04:33 AM
I have everything stored on my google docs drive instead of a computer, so I'm safe.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-06-06, 06:33 AM
I used to run off a USB stick until I discovered the wonders of the cloud, setup to sync offline on my laptop it's available if the internet goes, accessible and mostly editable from any computer with an internet connection and I don't need to worry about losing data again, you should try it.

ufo
2014-06-06, 06:55 AM
Much love to you Jay R, for turning your loss into an important heads-up for the rest of us! <3

ElenionAncalima
2014-06-06, 06:58 AM
Ouch...thats rough.

I keep almost all my gaming stuff on Dropbox. That way I don't have to worry about losing it, I can restore older documents if I need too, I can have a shared folder with my players and I have a lot of flexibility in accessing the documents.

DM Nate
2014-06-06, 06:59 AM
I have everything stored on my google docs drive instead of a computer, so I'm safe.

I too save everything on a hosted website, which is in turn backed up periodically.

Airk
2014-06-06, 09:27 AM
You should never, EVER keep the ONLY copy of ANYTHING on a USB stick. Those things are usually cheaply made, AND they are super easy to lose.

I occasionally burn a DVD of important stuff, and I clone my HD occasionally for paranoia.

DM Nate
2014-06-06, 10:01 AM
I occasionally burn a DVD of important stuff, and I clone my HD occasionally for paranoia.

You clone your Hit Dice? :smallconfused:

TheCountAlucard
2014-06-06, 10:31 AM
Hard drive.

DM Nate
2014-06-06, 10:33 AM
Geez, I was joking.

TheCountAlucard
2014-06-06, 10:47 AM
Geez, I was joking.This is the Internet; considering some of the opinions I've seen people voice, I rarely just assume someone is joking. :smallsigh:

shadow_archmagi
2014-06-06, 01:13 PM

You'll lose everything in the cloud if it rains though! :smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-06, 08:19 PM
I keep almost all my gaming stuff on Dropbox. That way I don't have to worry about losing it, I can restore older documents if I need too, I can have a shared folder with my players and I have a lot of flexibility in accessing the documents.
Dropbox is pretty amazing, aye.

Jay R, I'm sorry, dude. Thanks for the PSA.