PDA

View Full Version : [Base Class] The best of all possible worlds...

Legoman
2007-02-20, 03:29 PM
What do you get when you mix Plantinga, some thoughts from the Wizard's Character Optimization boards, caffeine, and some very, very bad drive-through food?

The everyday claim: it is possible that a nigh-omnipotent kobald exists can be analyzed as: The state of affairs There exists NI.Kobald obtains at some world. If there exists no NI.Kobald, then no such world obtains. Similarly, an ordinary claim of the form 'it is necessary that p' can be analyzed as: p obtains at every possible world. Thus, in this first stage of the actualist treatment of modality, ordinary, possible claims are analyzed in terms of actually existing states of affairs.

Got it? Good.

The Actualist is one who thrives on random occurrence and chance. Any action that is possible entails that there is some theoretical possible world where that action occurred. The Actualist works to bend reality to flow in the stream dictated by that possible world. At low levels, friends and enemies will be thwarted or aided by the smallest of co-incidences... at high levels, reality itself will bend in improbable ways, turning back in on itself as the Actualist bends time to his own wishes.

The Actualist.

Alignment: Any Chaotic.
Hit Die: d4.

Class Skills

The actualist's class skills are Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge: History, Psionics, Profession, and Spellcraft.

Skill Points at 1st level: (4 + Int Modifer)
Skill points at each additional level: 4 + Int.

Table: The Actualist:

{table] Level | Base Attack | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Dice Pool | PP / Day | Powers Known | Maximum Power Level Known
1st | + 0 | + 0 | + 2 | + 2 | Reality Bend | 1 | 2 | 1 | 1st
2nd | +1 | + 0 | +3 | + 3 | | 1 | 6 | 2 | 1st
3rd | +1 | +1 | +3 | +3 | | 1 | 11 | 3 | 1st
4th | +2 | +1 | +4 | +4 | | 2 | 17 | 4 | 2nd
5th | +2 | +1 | +4 | +4 | | 2 | 25 | 5 | 2nd
6th | +3 | +2 | +5 | +5 | | 2 | 35 | 6 | 3rd
7th | +3 | +2 | +5 | +5 | | 2 | 46 | 7 | 3rd
8th | +4 | +2 | +6 | +6 | | 3 | 58 | 8 | 4th
9th | +4 | +3 | +6 | +6 | | 3 | 72 | 9 | 4th
10th | +5 | +3 | +7 | +7 | | 3 | 88 | 10 | 5th
11th | +5 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Focused Bend | 3 | 106 | 11 | 5th
12th | +6/+1 | +4 | +8 | +8 | | 4 | 126 | 12 | 6th
13th | +6/+1 | +4 | +8 | +8 | | 4 | 147 | 13 | 6th
14th | +7/+2 | +4 | +9 | +9 | | 4 | 170 | 14 | 7th
15th | +7/+2 | +5 | +9 | +9 | | 4 | 195 | 15 | 7th
16th | +8/+3 | +5 | +10 | +10 | | 5 | 221 | 16 | 8th
17th | +8/+3 | +5 | +10 | +10 | | 5 | 250 | 17 | 8th
18th | +9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +11 | | 5 | 280 | 18 | 9th
19th | +9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +11 | | 5 | 311 | 19 | 9th
20th | +10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +12 | Effortless Warp | 6 | 343 | 20 | 9th[/table]
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Psions are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, quarterstaff, and shortspear. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor does not, however, interfere with the manifestation of powers.

Power Points/Day: A psion’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Psion. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.

Powers Known: The Actualist chooses powers known from the psion's list. I'd like to cut down on their power list, but that's a bit expansive if the class as-is is crap.

Psycrystal Limitation: Unlike other Psionic Characters, an Actualist does not gain a Psicrystal. He may gain one by virtue of multi-classing to another class which does grand a Psicrystal.

Reality Bend (Su): The Actualist has the power to warp reality to take on the aspects of the possible world the Actualist deems most desireable. As an immediate action, after a die has been rolled but before the result has been declared, the Actualist may spend power points as if manifesting a power.

For each power point spent, the percentile chance grows that the Actualist can mold reality. The Actualist must roll under 5 + 3 x PP Spent. An Actualist may not spend more PP in this way than his class level.

If he succeeds, he may roll an additional number of dice up to the number listed on the table under "Dice Pool." The Actualist then chooses one of the dice, and uses it's roll as the result, instead of the number that was rolled before the Actualist used his Reality Bend Ability.

For every die beyond the first additional that the Actualist rolls, he must spend one Power Point.

This ability can never trigger the vorpal property of a weapon.

Focused Bend (Su): At level 11, the Actualist may, in place of spending power points to fuel his entropy ability, may instead expend his Psionic focus to use the maximum value of his 'Dice Pool.'

Effortless Warp (Su): At 20th level, when the Actualist uses an immediate action to roll his Entropy chance, if he succeeds, he gains another immediate action for use any time before his next round. Effectively, no action was ever really taken at all, though rolling the dice pool still occurs as normal.

Arbitrarity
2007-02-20, 04:35 PM
If anything, I like this clss. The bending abilities aren't limited per day?

Well yeah, they cost PP. But a 24% chance of a reroll on almost anything is nice... Knows 16 fewer powers than a psion, gets new powers 1 level slower, no bonus feats...

It actually seems pretty balanced, because you can't reroll what you want, you can hope to reroll what you want. Prehaps there should be something that minorly increases entropy? This class needs some class-specific feats.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-20, 04:44 PM
Give it a good reflex save. The Entropy mechanic is an interesting one, to be sure, though I would have done it differently. Probably "expend power points as if manifesting a power. Gain Entropy chance at 3% per power point spent."

Legoman
2007-02-20, 05:19 PM
In corporated both of your suggestion's, Fax, as well as made the first die free.

Under this system, it's possible to have 65% chance of success, but you're paying more than the cost of a 9th-level spell each time...

I'll have to playtest this, I have no idea how it'll turn out.

Siberys
2007-02-20, 05:22 PM
looks okay, but one thing; Psicrystals are never automatic for any psionic class. You must take a feat to get one.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-20, 08:37 PM
"Effortless Warp" is kind of confusing. Do you mean that the Actualist may use his reality-altering powers as a free action?

Legoman
2007-02-20, 09:15 PM
That's what it amounts to, but no. You use your immediate action, and then if you succeed on the check, you get it back. So, it ends up being a free action, but it doesn't start out that way.

Arbitrarity
2007-02-20, 10:02 PM
Now it looks good. I'll try showing this to my DM, who seems to like playing psions...

Legoman
2007-02-21, 01:43 AM
If it flies, let me know how it works out, it'll save me the trouble of PT-ing it as an NPC bad guy.

illathid
2007-02-21, 02:48 PM
So... Would Leibniz take levels in this class?